• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rumored Changes to G+

I agree. Disney nostalgia dominance will wane just due to the sheer volume of entertainment for kids these days. For someone like me who didn't miss a Sunday night in front of the TV watching Wild Kingdom and then Walt Disney, it will always be the standard. But that was about all I had other than Saturday morning cartoons and Gilligan's Island after school. Kids today have an endless source of IP to draw their attention. Disney will still play a part, but not like it did back before the internet and video gaming.

Coincidentally they have dipped into the Video Gaming world, because I think they see the writing on the wall and are spreading their tentacles.

https://orlandothemeparkzone.com/20...arty-disability-access-service-sometime-soon/

Rumor is Disney is going to move to a 3rd party for DAS in the next few weeks. If that does happen, than Genie+ changes could follow soon after
Interested to see where this goes or if it's just clickbait as the original source isn't necessarily one I trust too much.

This will be interesting as I think it could curb some of the abuse, but ultimately people who cheat the system, will just seek another way to cheat it. Unfortunately, like most things, the people who actually need it, will be the ones that pay the price for it and now have to jump through even more hoops to prove their need (oftentimes they are the ones that are least likely to be able to do this).

Interested to see where this goes or if it's just clickbait as the original source isn't necessarily one I trust too much.

This will be interesting as I think it could curb some of the abuse, but ultimately people who cheat the system, will just seek another way to cheat it. Unfortunately, like most things, the people who actually need it, will be the ones that pay the price for it and now have to jump through even more hoops to prove their need (oftentimes they are the ones that are least likely to be able to do this).
Universal already uses a third party and there doesn't seem to be any issues.

Universal already uses a third party and there doesn't seem to be any issues.
I'm in a few groups, where there are regularly complaints regarding their process and issues with the implementation of it. Just on these boards yesterday in the Disabilities group when this article was posted there, the general feedback as it relates to Universal there was pretty mixed, before that thread was stopped because the article is considered Rumor.

Hopefully the rumor article is true though and, we then get a genie+ update behind that.

Last edited:

Someone in my family currently qualifies for DAS. Just for the heck of it I went to the 3rd party site that Universal uses and started the application as I know I will need to do it in the future anyways. It really looks like the system is more diagnostic based then symptomatic based. You will need to have a doctor sign off more less saying that the reason stated for needing the services are in fact true. Because it requires more time, along with a medical clinician to confirm the need, I think it will cut down on the minority of people who abuse the system. Having said that, working in clinical healthcare setting, I highly doubt there would be a clinician out there that would turn down a patient's request even if only a fraction of what the patient has stated is true.

Someone in my family currently qualifies for DAS. Just for the heck of it I went to the 3rd party site that Universal uses and started the application as I know I will need to do it in the future anyways. It really looks like the system is more diagnostic based then symptomatic based. You will need to have a doctor sign off more less saying that the reason stated for needing the services are in fact true. Because it requires more time, along with a medical clinician to confirm the need, I think it will cut down on the minority of people who abuse the system. Having said that, working in clinical healthcare setting, I highly doubt there would be a clinician out there that would turn down a patient's request even if only a fraction of what the patient has stated is true.
The only part of this that would be frustrating (for my family personally but I would think others as well) is all of my son's doctor's offices charge a fee to fill out outside paperwork.

The only part of this that would be frustrating (for my family personally but I would think others as well) is all of my son's doctor's offices charge a fee to fill out outside paperwork.
This is kind of what I was alluding to with my post about the people getting hurt the most by this are the ones who truly need it. Someone posted yesterday their Doctors office charges a $100 fee for this type of letter/paperwork.

This is kind of what I was alluding to with my post about the people getting hurt the most by this are the ones who truly need it. Someone posted yesterday their Doctors office charges a $100 fee for this type of letter/paperwork.
Just to throw out there - for the 3rd party verification, you don't necessarily need to get new/theme-park specific documentation. Documentation already in hand (such as an official diagnosis) might actually suffice and be accepted - it was in my case. My advice for anyone would be to try with what they have before making a separate appointment or requesting specific paperwork - if refused, one can still go the route of requesting a letter from a doctor.

Just to throw out there - for the 3rd party verification, you don't necessarily need to get new/theme-park specific documentation. Documentation already in hand (such as an official diagnosis) might actually suffice and be accepted - it was in my case. My advice for anyone would be to try with what they have before making a separate appointment or requesting specific paperwork - if refused, one can still go the route of requesting a letter from a doctor.
That's good to know. We don't typically use DAS for Disney, the parks are so familiar enough to us and our son that we can manage a lot just by leveraging his familiarity. But we're considering Universal next year and the novelty of it all will mean we need some more accommodations to make for a less stressful trip for us all.

For sure...I should have clarified that better. From what I've seen/read in different groups, people have submitted special education paperwork as well for their kids, which can also be an option such as 504's and accommodation pages from an IEP.

That's good to know. We don't typically use DAS for Disney, the parks are so familiar enough to us and our son that we can manage a lot just by leveraging his familiarity. But we're considering Universal next year and the novelty of it all will mean we need some more accommodations to make for a less stressful trip for us all.
if you can swing a premier resort...for the included express unlimited pass, i'd go that route. Still get the accommodations as it will help for a ride like Hagrids and Pteranodon Flyers, but the express pass if at one of those resorts will save you time/energy in the long run.

There are indeed people who cheat the system. I have heard them openly brag about it. Unfortunately, Disney needs to do something because it seems everybody has "attention deficits" these days. I have many friends, family members, co-workers, etc who say they are ADHD, have a sensory disorder, etc. Many of them have never spoken to a professional about it. They self-diagnose because they want instant gratification, have a habit of interrupting (and calling it ADHD) or don't like being around loud children (calling it sensory issues). It seems every person I know with kids under 15, their kids "have ADHD". A few diagnosed, most undiagnosed. Unpopular statement: There are studies showing links between attention issues and being glued to a device all the time.

In Disney, 2019, I was standing in line with my daughter to meet Alice. Alice needed a break. While waiting, a girl about 8-years-old came up, stepped in front of us and said "I get to go first because I do not like to wait in lines". Her dad called her over and said "Honey, you are not supposed to say that. Just get in the front of the line and just show your card. We will come back later". I am not going to judge that or assume anything. I just snickered and we did not really care. However, I have a feeling that is something Disney has to consider - people that just do not want to wait due to reasons that may not be medical.

Having said that, your statement, the part I made bold, is my concern. I know people who have gone to Disneyland and were declined DAS when they suffered with PTSD and had documentation to prove it. These are not people who cry about world situations and claim PTSD because they do not like politicians or that their rent was increased, but men and women who served in the military or as an LEO and have real diagnosed anxiety/PTSD.

Edited to correct grammatical error.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter