Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

Matching is very important ... even if that matching is your face matching your visor (and just be glad you didn't wear a blue visor).
Congrats on surviving the heat and earning that awesome bling!

Awesome effort, that heat must have been brutal! Hope you and @roxyhubby hsve been able to enjoy a refreshing beverage or three, purely for recovery of course!

Thank you everyone for the nice words. I've been wrestling all day with being proud of myself and then regretting not meeting my goals. Dissecting where I could get my 2-3 minutes back and then talking myself down from that. And then remembering what conditions I was battling and patting myself on the back for all the minutes I was running hard all things considering. Making notes so I can have a semi coherent recap tomorrow for yall. I'm a little pizza brained at the moment.

I'll just leave this thought...Sometimes it's a hard pill to swallow that all those minutes logged at tempo speed on the old treadmill late at night and a "red level dangerous conditions" race decides to happen completely out of your control and makes it feel for naught when you can't get your body to push to what you know you can and have done before. And then I remember that "hey I've done it before in training"...I can do it again.
Half marathons are hard. And now I've done two. Whoulda thought? More to come...less vague-booking and actual recapping :)
Roxyhubby finished his first half too! and we are playing "who's gonna get off the couch to get things" chicken which is our favorite post race game.

Congrats! What a cool medal! It was definitely hot. I am only about an hour to and hour and a half north and I would have had trouble with a half today.

Congratulations roxymama and roxyhubby! Definitely continue to pat yourself on the back for a job well done in that heat! Love the medal. Look forward to more details tmw!

All bets are off in temps like that, push too hard and you can easily blow out and DNF, which is worse than missing a goal or a PR. You have two under your belt, one under very trying conditions. You're now better prepared for the next one!

Congrats! If the heat you faced was anything like the heat I faced it was serious and coming close to PRing is amazing. Congrats to Roxyhubby too on finishing his first half.

That's the cruel thing about training for races like this - you can do everything right in the weeks leading up to it, but some things are just beyond your control. We've all been there!

I have no doubt that you did the best you could on that day. There will be other races and you will crush those, too!

That's the cruel thing about training for races like this - you can do everything right in the weeks leading up to it, but some things are just beyond your control. We've all been there!

I have no doubt that you did the best you could on that day. There will be other races and you will crush those, too!

You know, until you wrote that I had forgotten that last January there were people who weren't even allowed to run their half marathon (and at magical Disney no less) and that was part of Dopey's and Goofy's!!! So yeah, weather is a fickle thing and I'm glad I got the chance to go for it. Even if it was miserable at times.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

You and @roxyhubby have so much to be proud of! You ran an awesome time in non-awesome conditions.

I was thinking about it last night, and I honestly think I would have strongly considered DNS'ing. I am a whimp about heat. You clearly are the exact opposite of whimp. (and that also made me realize this buttercup needs to work on toughening up....)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

You and @roxyhubby have so much to be proud of! You ran an awesome time in non-awesome conditions.

I was thinking about it last night, and I honestly think I would have strongly considered DNS'ing. I am a whimp about heat. You clearly are the exact opposite of whimp. (and that also made me realize this buttercup needs to work on toughening up....)

Or maybe you are just smarter than me??? :)

Or maybe you are just smarter than me??? :)

No way! You had a great race and are racking up "tough points." Those really pay off ;)

(PS I tried an iced maple pecan latte on Saturday and, like you, it is a total winner! I think it has to be one of their best seasonal drinks. It is not as sweet as Dunkin's, which was fine with me and not nearly as strong as the PSL.)

No way! You had a great race and are racking up "tough points." Those really pay off ;)

(PS I tried an iced maple pecan latte on Saturday and, like you, it is a total winner! I think it has to be one of their best seasonal drinks. It is not as sweet as Dunkin's, which was fine with me and not nearly as strong as the PSL.)

I was sitting on my couch looking out my front window moaning "someone bring me a starbucks iced coffee" and hubby was like "who are you talking to?" And I was just like thinking "anyone who didn't run a half marathon today...just like...come bring me coffee"

I'm drinking the dunkin maple version right now cause there's one on my way to work. It's been a life saver.

Thank you everyone for the nice words. I've been wrestling all day with being proud of myself and then regretting not meeting my goals. Dissecting where I could get my 2-3 minutes back and then talking myself down from that. And then remembering what conditions I was battling and patting myself on the back for all the minutes I was running hard all things considering. Making notes so I can have a semi coherent recap tomorrow for yall. I'm a little pizza brained at the moment.

I'll just leave this thought...Sometimes it's a hard pill to swallow that all those minutes logged at tempo speed on the old treadmill late at night and a "red level dangerous conditions" race decides to happen completely out of your control and makes it feel for naught when you can't get your body to push to what you know you can and have done before. And then I remember that "hey I've done it before in training"...I can do it again.
Half marathons are hard. And now I've done two. Whoulda thought? More to come...less vague-booking and actual recapping :)
Roxyhubby finished his first half too! and we are playing "who's gonna get off the couch to get things" chicken which is our favorite post race game.

You should definitely feel proud of yourself (and hubby)!! Sometimes the conditions just aren't what we want them to be, but you still started and you finished - that's a real accomplishment, even if you missed your goals. We've all had races that didn't go according to plan sometimes, but there's always another chance, and you're going to look back at how you gave it your best out in the heat, and you're going to remember that you're a little tougher than you may have thought you were before. Congratulations!

First of all I just can't read 'Charlie Horse' without smiling, it's such a strange term! We just call them cramps over here...

Secondly... CONGRATULATIONS on your run, I'm SO SO PROUD of you! Tough weather happens and you can't do anything about it, you train so hard and consistently I'm always inspired reading your updates and I have no doubt that you can and will reach the goals you've set yourself..

Hope your legs are feeling OK today! Well done to @roxyhubby too!

Be proud because
Sometimes it's a hard pill to swallow that all those minutes logged at tempo speed on the old treadmill late at night and a "red level dangerous conditions" race decides to happen completely out of your control and makes it feel for naught when you can't get your body to push to what you know you can and have done before.
This is the frustrating truth for all of us half/marathoners. As someone who has done more than 25 halfs, I can testify that this has happened just as many times as I have raced well. But each race is still an opportunity to be proud...you did it!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter