Questions for Northerners by Southerners or vice-versa in the USA?

I guess I can comment on both sides, LOL. I was born a Northerner but moved to the Deep South when I was 23. Then later on in life, we ended up moving to extreme northern Mn. Each move was a complete culture shock. I must say that I loved the South the most - the climate, people, atmosphere, etc. Each area had it's good points.and bad points!

I know that you get used to whatever your temperature/weather is. In the south, I had to get used to the extreme heat and humidity and I did. We went everywhere, outside every day. Yep, there are bugs and snakes in the south. You learn to adapt to that too. We always looked down in the grass when outside, just a force of habit, for snakes. Never saw a poisonous one in the yard, only on the roads. Bugs are bugs, you just spray for them and go on.

Just wanted to add on: It sounded like the people in the North aren't as friendly. That is Not the case. We live in an area where the phrase, Minnesota Nice, is true:)

Southerners: how do you not panic every day at the thought of snakes or scorpions or spiders creeping around?

I've been in the south my whole life and rarely seen a live snake outside. Maybe 5-6 times. Occasionally I'll see a small dead one squashed on the road while I'm walking.

I don't think we have scorpions here, at least I've never heard of them being here, and never seen one.

We rarely have spiders in the house, even though we are in a very wooded area. One of my kids loves them, and will rescue them to the outdoors rather than let us kill them. It's rubbed off some and I've actually done the same recently. Spiders are pretty neat creatures, and help reduce the supply of other insects like mosquitos. Seeing a spider outside does not really bother me. As long as it's not touching me, I'm pretty happy for them to be there.

Do northern areas not have snakes and spiders?

I guess I can comment on both sides, LOL. I was born a Northerner but moved to the Deep South when I was 23. Then later on in life, we ended up moving to extreme northern Mn. Each move was a complete culture shock. I must say that I loved the South the most - the climate, people, atmosphere, etc. Each area had it's good points.and bad points!

I know that you get used to whatever your temperature/weather is. In the south, I had to get used to the extreme heat and humidity and I did. We went everywhere, outside every day. Yep, there are bugs and snakes in the south. You learn to adapt to that too. We always looked down in the grass when outside, just a force of habit, for snakes. Never saw a poisonous one in the yard, only on the roads. Bugs are bugs, you just spray for them and go on.

Just wanted to add on: It sounded like the people in the North aren't as friendly. That is Not the case. We live in an area where the phrase, Minnesota Nice, is true:)
Same - moved from New England to the Deep South after college (last century haha) - I miss New England…and yes - I’ve seen a bunch of big bugs and snakes and I hate them…even spraying don’t keep bugs out - it just kills them eventually…I rarely go outside because of snakes…they climb up house walls, get into garages (if left open), climb trees and are everywhere- those who live in the south east who say they rarely see snakes - aren’t looking!

I've been in the south my whole life and rarely seen a live snake outside. Maybe 5-6 times. Occasionally I'll see a small dead one squashed on the road while I'm walking.

I don't think we have scorpions here, at least I've never heard of them being here, and never seen one.

We rarely have spiders in the house, even though we are in a very wooded area. One of my kids loves them, and will rescue them to the outdoors rather than let us kill them. It's rubbed off some and I've actually done the same recently. Spiders are pretty neat creatures, and help reduce the supply of other insects like mosquitos. Seeing a spider outside does not really bother me. As long as it's not touching me, I'm pretty happy for them to be there.

In northern Michigan we do have snakes and spiders but they are tiny, non venemous, and few and far between.

We do have one venemous snake here and that is the Missisauga rattler which is so rare that a natural biologist I know spent years and years actively looking for one and never could.

Do you dread the extreme humidity in the summer in Florida?
No. I’ve always lived in warm humid places and am super cold natured. It’s like the air is giving me a warm hug. I love that when it’s not a million degrees, and I’m dressed accordingly.

It’s the bright sun that actually bothers me the most.

Southerners: how do you not panic every day at the thought of snakes or scorpions or spiders creeping around?
Honestly, it never occurred to me that people lived without them. Bugs and reptiles are just a normal part of life. They’ve always been there.

Snakes are outside. You rarely ever see them. Might be under a crawl space, in a flower bed, or in the woods, but they aren’t slithering through my living room. Same with alligators. Leave them alone. They leave you alone. Assume even a puddle has one in it.

Opened the door last night to let the dog out, and a huge June bug flew at my head and landed on my shoulder. That freaked me out way more than a spider chilling in a dark corner somewhere minding his own business would. Wasps, bees, hornets, biting horse flies, those all concern me way more than spiders. Those get inside and go crazy because they can’t get out, and they will sting. Spiders leave you alone. You don’t touch them. They don’t bite you. Flying things attack!

In general, Spiders really don’t bother you. They tend to stay in dark out the way places. Its rare one would actually come near you. You learn to be aware of places they might be.

For instance, I always check between the shampoo bottles and the side of the shower/ tub before grabbing the soap. Perfect little spot to build a web, especially if they got in through the plumbing. Last night, I was looking for my pin collection and was rummaging around in an old bin in the back of the closet. I was super aware and checking to make sure a spider wasn’t in there as it would have been a prime spot to find one. I check my shoes before I put them on. I check old gloves or coats. You learn to shake things out. If you are aware which is a second habit, the chances of you getting bit are so small.

People get bit when they touch a spider by accident by picking something up one is inside or on. Spiders don’t really come find people. You don’t bother them. They don’t bother you. There are so many worse things to get you in the south, than a spider.

Fire ants are probably the worst. They attack in mass. It’s so bad. Way more freaked out by ants if they get inside. They will get all over you. Makes me itchy just thinking about it. We had an infestation in my old house. They built a colony inside my wall. They were crawling along the electrical writing and coming out our light fixtures. I had to move out of my room. 40 gallons of poison later, we had to cut the wall out and drop bombs in. It was awful. Spiders eat the ants. They can stay.

I wasn’t aware we had scorpions in the south. I have only run into those out west, and they do freak me out as well as the tarantulas. I just pretend they don’t exist because there’s nothing you can really do about either of those. Except, always check the shower before getting in as the scorpions like to come up the drain. Most likely place I’ve seen them when I lived out west.

Are Floridian pools usually covered? Or semi indoors? I've seen southern pools that look like they are in a green house with air conditioning. I don't know if that's a normal thing or not.

No air conditioning that I’ve ever seen, just closed in. Florida has strict laws about how pools must be secured with continuous fencing without gaps, locks, and pool covers. This is part of the reason why you see so many completely closed in. If you have to build something anyway, might as well get a nice screened in area out of it as well. The screens help keep bugs, critters, and leaves out of the pool as well which cuts down on maintenance. If you’re rich, you can afford a fancy glassed in patio. You don’t see these type of enclosure in the rest of the south because they don’t have the same strict laws.

Washington state we had snakes.....we would see them alive occasionally, but more often the cats would get them and leave them for us, in and out of the house. Mice were more so....in and out of the house. In the furnace, in the walls.

Arizona.....hot and dry. We do have scorpions......but I haven't seen any at our house. Just in stores. DD had a problem with them for a few years when there was a lot of construction going on around her.
Spiders yes......crickets, lizards, beetles.

Too hot in summer and after 14 years here, still not used to it.

Washington state we had snakes

yes, in washington state we have snakes but the ones around us are not dangerous and you are more than likely to encounter them on the driveway or other surface soaking up the sun. they slither off when they realize you're coming round. spiders? not as many as we had in california-and esp. thankful we don't encounter black widows like we did there.

Anyone else who moved north to south find yourself less tolerant of the damp cold in the south? It could be 45 degrees here and I’m utterly miserable, but I could head to the Rockies and be fine in single digits due to the drier mountain air. It’s almost like the winter version of being more tolerant of dry heat in the summers in the desert southwest.

Anyone else who moved north to south find yourself less tolerant of the damp cold in the south? It could be 45 degrees here and I’m utterly miserable, but I could head to the Rockies and be fine in single digits due to the drier mountain air. It’s almost like the winter version of being more tolerant of dry heat in the summers in the desert southwest.
Years ago, I worked with a team that was all from the Northeast. They swore our winter was way worse. Said the same as you that higher temps felt much colder.

Years ago, I worked with a team that was all from the Northeast. They swore our winter was way worse. Said the same as you that higher temps felt much colder.

That’s good to know. Most of my northeastern friends have never experienced our winters and laugh about how I must be getting soft. I joke back that I’ve gained the power of heat tolerance.

We have snakes, but 99% of them are harmless (timber rattler in the bluffs), and no poisonous spiders. Wolf spiders, yes, but nothing I have to "shake my shoes out" for 🤣

I stayed with a friend in Florida for about 10 days once, and we were not allowed to go off the path in her backyard due to snakes and alligators in her backyard. She lived on a pond.

Northerners: are you bored during winter? I don't think I'd ever leave my house if it was snowing lol.
No bad weather just bad gear. I go out every day, rain, snow, sun etc. Never cold I got the right gear! Love to snowboard and or just walk around. Thinking of getting into cross county skiing.

Question for the southerners. How do you get out in the heat and humidly of August? I was in Florida this past August and about died. I had to stay inside during the day and was so stir crazy. Even the ocean was too warm to cool down in? What gear do you need to be outside and comfortable in the summer. I had cool clothes, a neck fan, cooling towel, and hat. Even that did not help.

No bad weather just bad gear. I go out every day, rain, snow, sun etc. Never cold I got the right gear! Love to snowboard and or just walk around. Thinking of getting into cross county skiing.

Question for the southerners. How do you get out in the heat and humidly of August? I was in Florida this past August and about died. I had to stay inside during the day and was so stir crazy. Even the ocean was too warm to cool down in? What gear do you need to be outside and comfortable in the summer. I had cool clothes, a neck fan, cooling towel, and hat. Even that did not help.

I'm never comfortable in the heat, but you make the best of it.

Go out in the early morning or late evening.

Lots of hydration. Pace yourself. Use the coolest fabrics, least amount of clothes required lol.

Turn the car on a bit early to get the a/c going, like you do in winter for heater.

Do indoor activities, like northern people do in winter when it's too inclement to go out.

Today was our first uncomfortable day this year. I came in from outside chores and took a cooling shower.

The afternoon and evening were nicer with a breeze

Simple answer you don’t.

When I lived in Houston on the gulf, it would get too hot to swim during the day, so we’d swim at night instead. We’d bike at night. Play games, do chores, garden and cut grass at night. Super common to see families up very late. Remember playing in the neighborhood all the time late at night as a kid.

We also had lots of indoor playgrounds nearby where parents would take their kids. At school, if it was too hot to go out for recess, they’d set up stations indoors with toys, arts and crafts, and movies instead. Gym class was always inside, except in winter.

I remember pretty much living in my bathing suit in the summer. You’d wear as little as possible, and what might be considered too risqué wouldn’t get much of a second look when the temps were over 100 and the humidity high.

Simple answer you don’t.

Yes, this. In the summer I will do a morning walk at 5:30am. Even that is oppressively humid. I tend to not run any errands or go out at all between about 11am - 6pm if I can help it. There is not really gear that protects from the heat, but I do have a long sleeve swim shirt and a hat with extended back for added sun protection. I don't enjoy the beach at all in July/August. I need to go late April - early June, or mid Sept - October.

I mostly just see garter snakes out in the yard. Plenty of spiders, but not usually big ones.

We do have rattlesnakes native to the area, but they're endangered. They wanted to breed them on an island in the Quabbin reservoir, but that got shot down. There is a famous old folk song about a young man in the area being bitten by a rattlesnake and dying.
https://www.wwlp.com/news/plan-for-rattlesnakes-at-quabbin-reservoir-suspended/

As a NYer I'm always surprised that people do not realize how hot and humid it gets here in the summer. It's wicked. It's just as bad as when we go to FL in August. We just normally aren't walking around outside in it. We play outside in the morning or later in evening. Stay in A/C during the day. Our seasons have also converged in "2 seasons" - Cold and hot. As a kid we had 4 distinct seasons. Now I feel we have no spring. Maybe we have like 3 seasons. Nice fall weather, winter, and then intense heat. We get maybe a week or 2 of beautiful spring weather.

As a kid, our winters are great. As an adult, I do not like anymore. It's pretty to see the 1st snow and then I'm good for the rest of the winter. :-)

I will say that we do not have a lot of severe weather. I like that. Once in a blue moon there is a small tornado or (most recently) earthquake. Like once in a decade more longer. I can't imagine have to shelter for a tornado or hurricane. Or the mudslides or wildfires out West.

If my taxes would be lower, I'd be happy.

does it realy get much cooler/tolerable at night in the humid southern states? on our first trip to orlando we assumed (stupidly) that like in hawaii once the sun goes down the humidity greatly decreases and the weather is much more plesant. nooooooooo-it felt to us no different than during the day. i lived for years in an area where 104 was a normal day to day summer temp-but it was dry heat, even the high 80's kill me with humidity.

does it realy get much cooler/tolerable at night in the humid southern states? on our first trip to orlando we assumed (stupidly) that like in hawaii once the sun goes down the humidity greatly decreases and the weather is much more plesant. nooooooooo-it felt to us no different than during the day. i lived for years in an area where 104 was a normal day to day summer temp-but it was dry heat, even the high 80's kill me with humidity.

I lived in FL for nearly 7 years (about 75 min north of Orlando) and have lived in Gulf Coast TX for a little over 27 years. While cooler, early mornings and evenings almost always come with high humidity. If I go for a walk or run around 7am in June-September, it's usually around 80 outside with 95+% humidity. If I go at 7pm, it's usually 90-95 degrees still at that hour and the humidity will build in the later I go. I live in a pretty densely forested area with lots of trails. At times I feel like we live in a jungle/rainforest. I don't love it, but you get used to it and know to expect it. Of course, the hotter we get, the more it dries out during the day. Still, even if we hit 105 during the day, the humidity is a certainty in the early mornings and evenings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter