PTR: And now for something completely different - a WDW Family does DLR *(new October 9th)*

Happy belated birthday to you and Olivia! Sounds like a fun little trip you had.

YAY for having the park tickets! It's always exciting to me when you actually make the purchase, even though it was planned.

Of course I've never been to DL and can't offer any feedback on the restaurants. The choices look lovely though!

Okay catching up.

I like how you managed to squeeze another Disney trip into a Disney free year :p

Disneyland is like a completely different monster. I feel so lost when you're talking about this stuff. Someday I need to go and I'm sure I'll feel completely overwhelmed.

At least your hotel does look great.

Oh my goodness Olivia is so tiny in that first picture (or she's so big in the second, I suppose).

Wait, when can you start booking dining at Disneyland? Also, more time to look over the many options (there is a lot of them) probably wouldn't hurt.

Whaaaat Disneyland! For the 60th anniversary! So much jealousy!

We thought about going but with the other things we have planned it would be so irresponsible to spend that kind of money. I hate being responsible when it means missing out on all the awesome things they have planned, though. I'm still trying to work a way around it.

I can understand feeling overwhelmed by planning a trip for something completely new and different. Sometimes I still feel overwhelmed trying to plan trips to WDW, especially when they involve new people (like planning a trip for 10 people that includes one senior, three middle aged adults, three young adults and three kids under ten).

The downside of Disneyland property hotels is that they are incredibly pricy. The upside is how many good priced hotels are right around the corner.

That Good Neighbor Hotel looks really cute though! And yay for two separate rooms!

I definitely think Park Hopping is worth it for Disneyland, more so than WDW. Mind you, it's great there too, but somehow I feel like I'd appreciate the usefulness of it more at DL.

So many unfamiliar restaurants! I think I'm gonna love planning for a Disneyland trip though. I love the novelty and learning about new things, I would spend so much time reading everything. I mean, I still have things to learn about WDW, but I'm pretty well versed in it so it's not the same kind of feeling as reading around for information for something you know nothing about. I love planning.

Happy Birthday to you and Olivia!

We ate at several of the restaurants you mentioned, and really enjoyed them all (of course this was 6 years ago, so things may have changed...). We ate at Wine Country Trattoria, Catal and enjoyed nice meals outside. We also got bread bowls and beer at the Pacific Wharf area. Overall, we were really impressed with the food at DL. Blue Bayou looks like such a cool restaurant, and Napa Rose is supposed to be amazing - I hope you get your date night there!

Definitely recommend both of these. Andy (the second TR) hasn't started yet, but he flew in with his family to San Diego and drove up to DLR and stayed there for a few days. I'd check his out. Especially coming from a first timer point of view :thumbsup2

Yeah! I just found your TR from your signature when you posted in my TR! I'm jealous...a DL trip...I haven't been since 1967! Our son lives in Sacramento and we are stopping to see him for a few days before our August DCL trip. We thought about going to DL but then we had to decide, see our son or DL...see our son or DL? He won out but I'm not telling him if it was close or not! :rolleyes1 I'm looking forward to reading more about your plans for this trip!

We are following along! Sounds like it will be a great trip. We'll try to chime in with suggestions, as DLR is "home" for us.

We totally agree about Steakhouse 55 for breakfast. It is a chance to eat at a very nice restaurant at a comparatively low cost, and is really good. We also like dinner at Storytellers, and do it every year on our anniversary because that's where we had our rehearsal dinner. While you're in the neighborhood, popping in to Whitewater Snacks at the GC is great for a comparatively quiet QS meal, and you can use the entrance/exit to CA Adventure even though you're not staying at the hotel, just not first thing in the morning. Blue Bayou is great for something fancy, and there are good counter service options in DL like Rancho Del Zocalo for Mexican food or the Plaza Inn for Chicken or Pasta, which is great when the family is looking for variety.

Great call snagging the park hoppers before the price increase. You won't believe how close the parks are. You can get to both parks and your hotel and probably not walk as far as going between the two sides of Epcot!

I fell a little behind on your TR, but happy to be caught up now.

That's great that you were able to lock in the tickets before the price increase. We did the same as you, 3 day park-hoppers the day before the price hike. Thinking we may upgrade to 4 days later, but we knew we needed at least 3. And we did park hoppers too. We had 4 day park-hoppers on our last trip (and also separate tickets for the Halloween party), and we only hopped once. However, this time around, with all the new Diamond Celebration stuff (especially the new fireworks and WoC) we felt like we needed that flexibility to go back in forth more.

Love your initial thoughts on dinning! A few of my own:

Stephanie and I tried the Ariel's Grotto version of the World of Color dining option. This was back in 2010. Certainly not the best Disney meal that I've ever had (that was at California Grill), but it was indeed enjoyable. As WoC was brand new back then, the reserved seating was totally worth it. (We just used regular fast passes on our 2013 visit and obtained a great spot on that time too, so I'm not so sure that the dining package is as valuable as it used to be.)

We also had a waterside table at Blue Bayou on that same trip. It sure was a lot of fun watching all the people float by and the meal was pretty good too. I would definitely do it again.

You HAVE to go to Trader Sam's. This is by far my favorite restaurant/bar in all of DLR. We went once just Stephanie and I (we showed up around 8pm on a weeknight in mid-October and were able to sit at the bar without any wait.) And then later in the week, we came back with the kids around 2pm for a late lunch. It wasn't crowded at all with the kids, and they loved it too. (Many jokes were made by the kids about the "Pupu platter" that we ordered. Very tasty by the way.) Note that if your kids are picky, they'll let you order regular food (burgers/fries) off the Tangaroa Terrace menu next door (they share the same kitchen). I spent a small fortune on drinks and came back with several awesome tiki mugs. (Can't wait to try the upcoming WDW version at the Poly next time around.)

I didn't see Paradise Garden Grill (California Adventure) on your list. If you even remotely like Mediterranean food, you should have a meal here. This was really one of my favorite meals on our last trip. Counter service or not. http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013/...-garden-grill-in-disney-california-adventure/

If you aren't adverse to corn dogs, you must try one at the Little Red Wagon. So good!
http://www.disneytouristblog.com/little-red-wagon-review/

I love Bengal Barbecue too. It's sort of expensive for what it is, but it's fairly unique and very tasty. http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2010/07/21/lunch-at-bengal-barbecue/

In all our years of visiting WDW and having the dining plan on several occasions, we never tried Earl of Sandwich. But we did try it at DTD Disneyland, and it was great. We'll be grabbing a quick bite here at least once on our next trip! Stephanie can't resist that thanksgiving sandwich.

We tried Flo's Diner in Carsland during out last trip and it was just OK. Amazing ambiance (especially at night) but the food was mediocre at best. (On the other hand, we had a lot of fun trying the tasty treats over by the Cozy Cone Motel.)

We've had good experience at Rancho del Zocalo too. http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/04/12/review-disneylands-rancho-del-zocalo/

If you like fried chicken, we agreed with the consensus about Plaza Inn. It was indeed pretty finger lick'n good - oh wait, that's KFC - still finger licking good anyway... http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/11/29/review-disneylands-plaza-inn-fried-chicken/

- Blue Bayou: This might be the one I am most looking forward to - largely for the location which is at the beginning of Pirates of the Caribbean and you can see the boats float by. The food looks pretty good too between the gumbo, monte cristo, and steak
blue-bayou-restaurant-00.jpg

- Catal Restaurant ... or more specifically the UVA Bar and Cafe - the setting looks really nice and outside to enjoy the nice weather and menu looks good too (love Tapas!). Featured items are Tuna Tartare Tacos, Street Fries, and Mojitos!
Uva-Bar_061312_4079.jpg

- Goofy's Kitchen - I am sure we will do a couple of character meals and seems like the food is the best here. Not sure if we want to do dinner or breakfast - likely would be dinner arrival night or breakfast day we leave as we won't have park tickets those days

- Napa Rose - really hoping to get one nice meal, perhaps if we can arrange a date night that would be great, and likely would have to decide between here or Steak 55. This just sounds so nice and really good food. Recall a review from LeshaFace's trip report and seemed really good.

- Storyteller's Cafe - if we don't get to do Napa Rose I would like to make it over to check out the Grand Californian to check it out and this restaurant sounds pretty good too. They also do a Chip and Dale breakfast there so that could be an option.

- Pacific Warf Restaurants - The area sounds really neeat from the Cafe with soup in breadbowls and salads and sandwiches to also Lucky Fortune Cookery and Cocina Cocomongo Mexican Grill - just seems like a neat area with lots of options.

pacific-wharf-cafe-00.jpg

- Steakhouse 55 - Probably can't do two really nice meals and was figuring it would be Napa Rose, but been reading really good things about this too. Also hear good things about breakfast here so that could be an options

- Trader Sam's - not sure to include this as not sure if we will eat here giving how hard it can be to get a table. But a drink (or 7) will be had here. One of the places I am most excited to check out

- Carthay Circle - as mentioned, may do this as part of WoC dining, but if not definitely want to check this out ... just seems like our kind of scene

So that is some initial thoughts - feels weird to not be able to start booking 180 days out, but gives us some more time to educate ourselves.

As mentioned - any feedback is definitely welcome.

TTFN

From my TR, I think you know my thoughts on all of these - Wine Country Trattoria was our choice for the WoC package and we loved it. Carthay is neat but didn't appeal to me as much. Steakhouse 55 is going to be an absolute must-do next trip. Trader Sam's is totally awesome. Blue Bayou is one of those must-dos-at-least-once. Goofy's Kitchen was neat but I might switch it up to the Minnie restaurant inside DL on our next trip. The oddity of the characters and uncertainty of who will be there sort of drives me nuts!

We had a fantastic meal at Catal our first night! Downtown Disney is a lot of fun, though smaller than WDW.

Napa Rose would be a wonderful night out (what are your plans for babysitting?), but Steakhouse 55 would also be fun!

Lastly Storyteller's is on my to-do for next time as well. Aria loves Chip & Dale so I think it'd be fun.

Oh regarding the tickets, yes definitely the park hoppers are a must for DL esp with 3 days. Park hopping is just TOO EASY not to get them!

I finally made it!!! Here a little late but all caught up. So excited to hear you have another trip planned!!! Thought you were going to skip this year. We also have good news. We were not planning on going back until 2017 but my parents surprised us a few months ago with plans to take everyone back to Disney World in 2016. YEAH!!!! so excited!!! Any way I am looking forward to reading your trip report!!! I have only been to Disney Land once and that was when I was 12 so many moons ago. This well be very educational for me. If you did not recognize me by my aviater I am Kathy/ horse and had a unicorn as my avitar before. Not sure I like this new system. I just got use to the old one. I will have to figure out how to add my trip report to my postings all over again UGGGGG. Any way looking forward to reading about yours.

Oh ok I see everything is there silly me! First posting since the new system

Sounds like you are doing great with the hotel & tickets taken care of! Remind me when your trip is again?

The weekend trip of celebrations sound like a great time away.

I guess I will be living vicariously through everyone on here.. It will probably be 2017 before we make it back to WDW. Hope to start my TR soon! :)

Thanks! Definitely feels like the trip is a bit more "real" after having the hotel booked and the tickets bought. The plan is to fly out to CA on
October 10th and do a few days in San Diego and then at Disneyland from the 13th to the 17th (wit the 14-16 being park days)

We actually were away for a full week - but the later weekend of the trip was when we had the birthdays

Definitely will be following that TR - and 2017 will be her before you know it :thumbsup2

I was going to say that we might just end up celebrating at Disney once Izzy is in school. But then I looked and saw that our district doesn't have the February week off, like when I was growing up. Looks like a more normal schedule of President's Day only, then a Spring Break around Easter. :sad1:

Here's a few I'm reading now:
Disneyland or Bust: A Mother-Daughter Coastal Road Trip **UPDATE 2/19!!** (Road trip along CA coast (from north), then Disneyland)
The Dry Heat Expedition (Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Disneyland)--UPDATE 2/24 (Road trip from Vegas, then Disneyland)
Somebody's Gonna Pee in a Cup. - I Need To See Everybody's Wristband - 2/13 (Teasers for DL mixed in, but not full TR yet)

And here's a few from my old subscription list:
We had a GRAND trip to Disneyland! March 2014 TR NEW 7/29 p.12 (A Minnesotan! I found this recently and read through, I don't think it's quite finished)
One Happy Dog Family Lands it for Halloween -- 12/29 final post and MVMCP link!!! (Here's an old one, but it's in October and she writes good reports)
Just the 3 of us… almost. Nov '09 TR ~ Update 7/10 (Another old one, unfinished I think, but good for DL with a toddler stuff)

Happy planning! :goodvibes

Oh - and those spring break weeks can get a bot crowded. Maybe could do a long weekend around President's day - you've gotten pretty good at those short trips :thumbsup2

Thanks for the suggested TRs to follow - I've jumped in on a few already. I also checked out that tread about Disneyland on the DISdads board you mentioned - it is really good - but a bit dated (no major updates since like 2011). So it is great giving the basics of the parks, etc. and comparing attractions that are at both DLR and WDW, etc. ... but not as good for like current strategies, etc.

Happy belated birthday to you and Olivia! Sounds like a fun little trip you had.

YAY for having the park tickets! It's always exciting to me when you actually make the purchase, even though it was planned.

Of course I've never been to DL and can't offer any feedback on the restaurants. The choices look lovely though!

Thank you Wendy! We did have a nice, if cold, trip!

Definitely nice to have the tickets purchased. Plus, having them paid for now makes it a bit less painful with all the costs we will occur during the trip

Okay catching up.

I like how you managed to squeeze another Disney trip into a Disney free year :p

Disneyland is like a completely different monster. I feel so lost when you're talking about this stuff. Someday I need to go and I'm sure I'll feel completely overwhelmed.

At least your hotel does look great.

Oh my goodness Olivia is so tiny in that first picture (or she's so big in the second, I suppose).

Wait, when can you start booking dining at Disneyland? Also, more time to look over the many options (there is a lot of them) probably wouldn't hurt.

Oh yeah - I am not really good at doing things "Disney free" :thumbsup2

Calling DLR a different animal is right on as in some ways has a bit of familiarity to it, but then so many things are different and somethings you didn't even think about are different

Probably a little of both - that was like an hour after Olivia was born so basically at her smallest - and she has grown up to be pretty skinny so she looks bigger now than she probably really is.

So still working through all the booking dates but generally you can't do anything as far as ADRs, etc. until only 60 days out at DLR (at least from what I could find).

Whaaaat Disneyland! For the 60th anniversary! So much jealousy!

We thought about going but with the other things we have planned it would be so irresponsible to spend that kind of money. I hate being responsible when it means missing out on all the awesome things they have planned, though. I'm still trying to work a way around it.

I can understand feeling overwhelmed by planning a trip for something completely new and different. Sometimes I still feel overwhelmed trying to plan trips to WDW, especially when they involve new people (like planning a trip for 10 people that includes one senior, three middle aged adults, three young adults and three kids under ten).

The downside of Disneyland property hotels is that they are incredibly pricy. The upside is how many good priced hotels are right around the corner.

That Good Neighbor Hotel looks really cute though! And yay for two separate rooms!

I definitely think Park Hopping is worth it for Disneyland, more so than WDW. Mind you, it's great there too, but somehow I feel like I'd appreciate the usefulness of it more at DL.

So many unfamiliar restaurants! I think I'm gonna love planning for a Disneyland trip though. I love the novelty and learning about new things, I would spend so much time reading everything. I mean, I still have things to learn about WDW, but I'm pretty well versed in it so it's not the same kind of feeling as reading around for information for something you know nothing about. I love planning.

Yeah, the 60th anniversary stuff pushed it over the edge for me - definitely felt like, if we were going to do it, this is the year to do it

Sometimes I hate being and adult and having to be all responsible and what not :faint:

That's a good point that trips can be new as far as planning for a variety of people - though I feel like with WDW at least I know the things to think about/consider. For DLR sometimes I am not even sure what questions to ask

Planning hotels is very different at DLR (as I realized) and some of the non-Disney hotels are so close to the parks it's almost like more being on Disney Property than some of the Disney hotels are at WDW. I mean, you can't really walk to a park from the All Star resorts but you can from some non-Disney hotels at DLR - so very different

Thank you! We are pretty happy with it and hope that we are able to plan in enough pool time and that the weather cooperates. I just couldn't see not getting park hoppers to at least experience literally walking from one park to the other. Plus this should give us more flexibility with meal selection as we wont' be limited to only one park per day

It is pretty cool reading up and finding all these cool sounding restaurants - the tough park is fitting it into a 4 nights stay ... especially since who knows the next time we will be there so not like WDW where if we don't get to something we know we will be back

Made it!!! Finally! I'm actually finding the new format easier to use on my phone than the old one. I feel the exact opposite way on my computer. Weird.

This is all so exciting.... and foreign!! Haha.

Happy Birthday to you and Olivia!

We ate at several of the restaurants you mentioned, and really enjoyed them all (of course this was 6 years ago, so things may have changed...). We ate at Wine Country Trattoria, Catal and enjoyed nice meals outside. We also got bread bowls and beer at the Pacific Wharf area. Overall, we were really impressed with the food at DL. Blue Bayou looks like such a cool restaurant, and Napa Rose is supposed to be amazing - I hope you get your date night there!

Thank you for the birthday wishes! And thank you for the input on the restaurants - I have seen/heard of some menu's changing but I think most of the restaurants that were good are still good, etc. I do like how it seems you can eat outside more at DLR than WDW as not as hot/humid And nothing wrong with a good bread bowl and beer!

Definitely recommend both of these. Andy (the second TR) hasn't started yet, but he flew in with his family to San Diego and drove up to DLR and stayed there for a few days. I'd check his out. Especially coming from a first timer point of view :thumbsup2

Thanks Alicia - I've gotten up to current on Andy's and will be checking out the first one (though may skip to the DLR part)

Yeah! I just found your TR from your signature when you posted in my TR! I'm jealous...a DL trip...I haven't been since 1967! Our son lives in Sacramento and we are stopping to see him for a few days before our August DCL trip. We thought about going to DL but then we had to decide, see our son or DL...see our son or DL? He won out but I'm not telling him if it was close or not! :rolleyes1 I'm looking forward to reading more about your plans for this trip!

Disney vs family is always a tough call ;) Thanks for joining in! I've been enjoying your TR!

We are following along! Sounds like it will be a great trip. We'll try to chime in with suggestions, as DLR is "home" for us.

We totally agree about Steakhouse 55 for breakfast. It is a chance to eat at a very nice restaurant at a comparatively low cost, and is really good. We also like dinner at Storytellers, and do it every year on our anniversary because that's where we had our rehearsal dinner. While you're in the neighborhood, popping in to Whitewater Snacks at the GC is great for a comparatively quiet QS meal, and you can use the entrance/exit to CA Adventure even though you're not staying at the hotel, just not first thing in the morning. Blue Bayou is great for something fancy, and there are good counter service options in DL like Rancho Del Zocalo for Mexican food or the Plaza Inn for Chicken or Pasta, which is great when the family is looking for variety.

Great call snagging the park hoppers before the price increase. You won't believe how close the parks are. You can get to both parks and your hotel and probably not walk as far as going between the two sides of Epcot!

Thanks for joining! Definitely appreciate any thoughts you have especially anything that is like "this is sesquicentennial Disneyland and as a first timer, you must do X" Also any tips for best use of FP, etc. would be great.

Definitely leaning towards fitting in a breakfast at Steakhouse 55 - I really want to check out the setting and this seems like the best / less expensive way to do it. Definitely want to look more into Storytellers and Whitewater Snacks as I do want to check out the Grand Californian - good to know we can use that exit/entrance so doing one of those for lunch on a CA day might work out. I originally hadn't put Plaza Inn on the list but have been seeing it pop up in a few places I have been reading of late (your comment but also some other lists of where to eat at DLR) so that is definitely into consideration now.

I fell a little behind on your TR, but happy to be caught up now.

That's great that you were able to lock in the tickets before the price increase. We did the same as you, 3 day park-hoppers the day before the price hike. Thinking we may upgrade to 4 days later, but we knew we needed at least 3. And we did park hoppers too. We had 4 day park-hoppers on our last trip (and also separate tickets for the Halloween party), and we only hopped once. However, this time around, with all the new Diamond Celebration stuff (especially the new fireworks and WoC) we felt like we needed that flexibility to go back in forth more.

Thanks again so much for the notification about the price increase - Social media at it's best! I figure we will try hopping at least a bit just to experience it with the parks being so close - but also think it will make things slightly easier for planning meals if we want to do something in a park one evening and then want to start at the other park for the morning or something

Love your initial thoughts on dinning! A few of my own:

Stephanie and I tried the Ariel's Grotto version of the World of Color dining option. This was back in 2010. Certainly not the best Disney meal that I've ever had (that was at California Grill), but it was indeed enjoyable. As WoC was brand new back then, the reserved seating was totally worth it. (We just used regular fast passes on our 2013 visit and obtained a great spot on that time too, so I'm not so sure that the dining package is as valuable as it used to be.)

We also had a waterside table at Blue Bayou on that same trip. It sure was a lot of fun watching all the people float by and the meal was pretty good too. I would definitely do it again.

Definitely appreciate any thoughts you have. Yeah, not sure if we need to do the dining package (seems like not an issue to get regular fast pass for it anymore now that radiator springs is the hot fast past ticket) but might just be easiest for us but we shall see. Areils' Grotto doesn't have the princesses at dinner so if we do got here I think it would be for one of the meals with the princesses which means it wont' work for the package - but will be happy with Wine Country or Carthay Circle. Definitely want to sit waterside at Blue Bayou - the setting just looks so cool

You HAVE to go to Trader Sam's.This is by far my favorite restaurant/bar in all of DLR. We went once just Stephanie and I (we showed up around 8pm on a weeknight in mid-October and were able to sit at the bar without any wait.) And then later in the week, we came back with the kids around 2pm for a late lunch. It wasn't crowded at all with the kids, and they loved it too. (Many jokes were made by the kids about the "Pupu platter" that we ordered. Very tasty by the way.) Note that if your kids are picky, they'll let you order regular food (burgers/fries) off the Tangaroa Terrace menu next door (they share the same kitchen). I spent a small fortune on drinks and came back with several awesome tiki mugs. (Can't wait to try the upcoming WDW version at the Poly next time around.)

so you are saying we should maybe, possibly, if we can fit it in, stop by Trader Sam's?!?!?!? :rotfl2:We definitely want to check it out at least for drinks (though the apps there look good too). I can definitely see myself talking myself into getting some tiki mugs too. I am very glad they are bringing it to the Poly at WDW as well - though am glad it is going to be it's own variation on it and not just an exact duplicate.

I didn't see Paradise Garden Grill (California Adventure) on your list. If you even remotely like Mediterranean food, you should have a meal here. This was really one of my favorite meals on our last trip. Counter service or not. http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013/...-garden-grill-in-disney-california-adventure/

If you aren't adverse to corn dogs, you must try one at the Little Red Wagon. So good!
http://www.disneytouristblog.com/little-red-wagon-review/

I love Bengal Barbecue too. It's sort of expensive for what it is, but it's fairly unique and very tasty. http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2010/07/21/lunch-at-bengal-barbecue/

In all our years of visiting WDW and having the dining plan on several occasions, we never tried Earl of Sandwich. But we did try it at DTD Disneyland, and it was great. We'll be grabbing a quick bite here at least once on our next trip! Stephanie can't resist that thanksgiving sandwich.

We tried Flo's Diner in Carsland during out last trip and it was just OK. Amazing ambiance (especially at night) but the food was mediocre at best. (On the other hand, we had a lot of fun trying the tasty treats over by the Cozy Cone Motel.)

We've had good experience at Rancho del Zocalo too. http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/04/12/review-disneylands-rancho-del-zocalo/

If you like fried chicken, we agreed with the consensus about Plaza Inn. It was indeed pretty finger lick'n good - oh wait, that's KFC - still finger licking good anyway... http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/11/29/review-disneylands-plaza-inn-fried-chicken/

I haven't looked enough at the quick service and hadn't really seen Paradise Garden Grill mentioned before but it looks like something right up our alley - especially Judi loves that sort of thing so I can definitely see us stopping there.

and, um, Bengal Barbecue? All I have to say is three words: Bacon Wrapped Asparagus!!!!

baconwrappedasparagus.jpg

Definitely interested in checking out the Cozy Cone. Peter could eat mac n cheese for just about every meal so to get that, in a portable edible cone sounds pretty great.

I hadn't originally seen the Plaza Inn talked about much but have seen it come up in a few people's recomendation so it is definitely on the list of consideration as well!

From my TR, I think you know my thoughts on all of these - Wine Country Trattoria was our choice for the WoC package and we loved it. Carthay is neat but didn't appeal to me as much. Steakhouse 55 is going to be an absolute must-do next trip. Trader Sam's is totally awesome. Blue Bayou is one of those must-dos-at-least-once. Goofy's Kitchen was neat but I might switch it up to the Minnie restaurant inside DL on our next trip. The oddity of the characters and uncertainty of who will be there sort of drives me nuts!

We had a fantastic meal at Catal our first night! Downtown Disney is a lot of fun, though smaller than WDW.

Napa Rose would be a wonderful night out (what are your plans for babysitting?), but Steakhouse 55 would also be fun!

Lastly is on my to-do for next time as well. Aria loves Chip & Dale so I think it'd be fun.

Oh regarding the tickets, yes definitely the park hoppers are a must for DL esp with 3 days. Park hopping is just TOO EASY not to get them!

Thanks for the thoughts Lauren - definitely had the DLR part of your TR in mind when thinking of places to eat. Wine Country definitely looks good and we would be happy to eat there. Carthay just really jumped out at me as somewhere to check out though so it might win out for this trip (or just another reason to go back!). Having seen a few negative things now for Goofy's Kitchen we might also switch to Minnie's (just was thinking if we do the princesses for Olivia doing Goofy for Peter might be good, but I think he will survive. Somewhere they need to do a Pixar or Toy Story meal so that Woody and Buzz are an option. Or a Cars version of SciFi where you you eat in the Cars cars.

Catal looks really cool - the pictures of the outside seating (which I think is just for the bar / lounge) at night look so nice. I think our arrival day is going to be exploring DTD and eating there and/or taking a walk to check out Trader Sam's. I think gettings drinks/apps at TS and then stopping at Uva bar and grill (at Cata)l would be a pretty nice arrival day.

Haven't looked too much into baby sitters (though Judi is hoping maybe her friend could watch the kids) but starting to think it will be tough to fit Napa Rose in, as much as we would love it. Just not enough time and would have the kids to deal with :rotfl2: - again, a reason to go back.

I finally made it!!! Here a little late but all caught up. So excited to hear you have another trip planned!!! Thought you were going to skip this year. We also have good news. We were not planning on going back until 2017 but my parents surprised us a few months ago with plans to take everyone back to Disney World in 2016. YEAH!!!! so excited!!! Any way I am looking forward to reading your trip report!!! I have only been to Disney Land once and that was when I was 12 so many moons ago. This well be very educational for me. If you did not recognize me by my aviater I am Kathy/ horse and had a unicorn as my avitar before. Not sure I like this new system. I just got use to the old one. I will have to figure out how to add my trip report to my postings all over again UGGGGG. Any way looking forward to reading about yours.

Congrats on going back sooner than expected Kathy, that is great! I did recognize your user name though did notice the avatar change. Thanks for joining in!

Oh ok I see everything is there silly me! First posting since the new system

Oh my, if people had to re-post their trip reports there may have been a revolt :rotfl:

Made it!!! Finally! I'm actually finding the new format easier to use on my phone than the old one. I feel the exact opposite way on my computer. Weird.

This is all so exciting.... and foreign!! Haha.

Welcome Sue - thanks for joining! Your post made me think that the "new DIS" is kinda similar to me looking at Disneyland in that it is the same yet new at the same time. I know one of the main reasons they switched to the new system was that it was more mobile friendly. There are a few things that don't seem to work out quite as well as the old version (at least the way I am used to doing things) but overall I think there is more good than bad with the new system.

Definitely go to blue bayou and Rancho del zocallo. We also really enjoyed flos v8 cafe and earl of sandwich. We only could do one splurge meal last trip and blue bayou was worth it. They seated us by the water without us asking! My daughter will be 6 next month!
Check out my trip report if you get a chance. It's good you got tix before the increase. We planned our last two dl trips with only a month to plan! Yep we're crazy...not sure we could survive disney word planning!

I was ok with this but then I kept hearing all the plans for the 60th anniversary at Disneyland and the talk that "if you were thinking of checking out Disneyland, this is the year" and the Disney juices started flowing a bit.
Excellent point. But just don't go the first half of 2015 because everything will be closed. :headache:

I think you're timing it well.

So then I reached out to some experts and started to look into where to stay - and felt completely lost and overwhelmed and basically like this:
Yeah... been there. And especially having just done WDW prior to DL. I was so totally unprepared. Which in a way was good, because it made me take things as they came in a way... but I missed out on some things that I might have otherwise made a greater effort to do.

And it is pretty darn close, being right across the street from Disneyland. And the DIS has a discount there so got the room for $215/night which is below anything I saw for even a regular room on site. So, pretty happy with it and at least one decision made.
Seems like a great idea. We chose on-site... actually GCH. We had Disney Visa points to burn and figured for a possible once in a lifetime trip, might as well go all out. I'm not sure that was the right thing to do though.

Granted now Leshaface just pointed me to the thread devoted to World of Color and different reserved sections and how early to line up even with dining package, etc and I feel like I need to lie down and/or get a stiff drink.
We didn't get to do WoC (see comment about half the park being closed), but we did see Fantasmic and they definitely have their own weird system of doing shows. And I'm not a big fan. It seems like they could make the guest experience a lot better.

Anyway, I'm here, and following along. I'm not sure I can help with anything, but being a WDW vet who was just over his head at that West Coast park a little over a month ago, I feel your pain and excitement. Because I know there's a little bit of both during the planning phase. :thumbsup2:rotfl:

i'm finally here!!! took a dis-break and am just getting back into the swing of things. we've never gone to DL, but we'd like to within the next couple of years. i'm so excited to read all about your planning so I can take some notes!

Hey Phil - how awesome that you get a trip to DL during their 60th anniversary.. jealous! I'm excited to read along.

I love the new updated pic of Emma.. so sweet!

We're about 3-ish hours from Finger Lakes in Erie. We have a bunch of great wineries here but now that I've been to them a dozen-ish times I'm thinking a trip to Finger Lakes is in order. I've heard so much about all of the great wineries there!

Anyway I can't offer any advice on the DL front since I've never been, but I'm itching to get there at some point so I can't wait to read about your trip plans.

Definitely go to blue bayou and Rancho del zocallo. We also really enjoyed flos v8 cafe and earl of sandwich. We only could do one splurge meal last trip and blue bayou was worth it. They seated us by the water without us asking! My daughter will be 6 next month!
Check out my trip report if you get a chance. It's good you got tix before the increase. We planned our last two dl trips with only a month to plan! Yep we're crazy...not sure we could survive disney word planning!

Thank you for the input - definitely getting excited for Blue Bayou! Hapy early Birthday to your daughter!

Must be interesting/tough to go from Disneyland level Planning to Disney World where you can book things so much further out. I am having the reverse issue here in that I keep thinking I am coming close to my 180 day mark (which I am) - but for Disneyland it is really a 60-day mark

Excellent point. But just don't go the first half of 2015 because everything will be closed. :headache: I think you're timing it well.

Yeah... been there. And especially having just done WDW prior to DL. I was so totally unprepared. Which in a way was good, because it made me take things as they came in a way... but I missed out on some things that I might have otherwise made a greater effort to do.

Seems like a great idea. We chose on-site... actually GCH. We had Disney Visa points to burn and figured for a possible once in a lifetime trip, might as well go all out. I'm not sure that was the right thing to do though.

We didn't get to do WoC (see comment about half the park being closed), but we did see Fantasmic and they definitely have their own weird system of doing shows. And I'm not a big fan. It seems like they could make the guest experience a lot better.

Anyway, I'm here, and following along. I'm not sure I can help with anything, but being a WDW vet who was just over his head at that West Coast park a little over a month ago, I feel your pain and excitement. Because I know there's a little bit of both during the planning phase. :thumbsup2:rotfl:

It does seem like a ton of stuff is closed now at Disneyland - hopefully once the official 60th anniversary hits everything will be open for the rest of the year (or at least most things)

I would love to stay at the GCH - but we are having to do this a bit on a budget so just not in the cards - looks beautiful though. We also use the Disney Visa for points - but generally use them for food (makes it a little less painful when the bill comes at the end of the meals)

Not sure if it is due to the lack of space but it does seem weird that there aren't really stadiums for the big shows (WoC / Fantasmic) - so picturing how all that works is kinda confusing me.

i'm finally here!!! took a dis-break and am just getting back into the swing of things. we've never gone to DL, but we'd like to within the next couple of years. i'm so excited to read all about your planning so I can take some notes!

Welcome Lori - thanks for joining! Hope the notes are worth keeping :rotfl:

Hey Phil - how awesome that you get a trip to DL during their 60th anniversary.. jealous! I'm excited to read along.

I love the new updated pic of Emma.. so sweet!

We're about 3-ish hours from Finger Lakes in Erie. We have a bunch of great wineries here but now that I've been to them a dozen-ish times I'm thinking a trip to Finger Lakes is in order. I've heard so much about all of the great wineries there!

Anyway I can't offer any advice on the DL front since I've never been, but I'm itching to get there at some point so I can't wait to read about your trip plans.

Thank you for joining Ashley! The 60th anniversary is definitely one thing that even made me think of doing DLR and helped push us to do it

If you eventually go to the Finger Lakes - let me know, can definitely recommend some places to hit up!

Hoping that this trip has enough positives to push you to want to go to DLR!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter