PTR: A Spring Fling on the Dark Side ...2 Muggles Celebrate in Diagon Alley!

Hi Gina!
I think this is only my second post here on the DIS but I spend many a morning, with my coffee, living through your trip reports! We live just east of Toronto and spending a little time conjuring up warmth is good for my soul.
My husband (of 20 years.....we're catching up to you!) and three kids (16, 14, 12) are headed to Orlando at the end of August. We've had three full-on Disney trips and enjoyed them very much. You, however, have swayed us to look beyond the Mouse! We (meaning 'I') am planning a Universal-slash-Discovery Cove-slash-SeaWorld-slash-Aquatica vacation. I take notes about the coupons you've found and the Groupon / Entertainment Book deals available.
I will be following your latest trip report and cheering you and Steve on while you celebrate your anniversary Orlando-style!
Please include all your great deals and tips in your report. We Canadians should support each other, eh?!

Hi Gina!
I think this is only my second post here on the DIS but I spend many a morning, with my coffee, living through your trip reports! We live just east of Toronto and spending a little time conjuring up warmth is good for my soul.
My husband (of 20 years.....we're catching up to you!) and three kids (16, 14, 12) are headed to Orlando at the end of August. We've had three full-on Disney trips and enjoyed them very much. You, however, have swayed us to look beyond the Mouse! We (meaning 'I') am planning a Universal-slash-Discovery Cove-slash-SeaWorld-slash-Aquatica vacation. I take notes about the coupons you've found and the Groupon / Entertainment Book deals available.
I will be following your latest trip report and cheering you and Steve on while you celebrate your anniversary Orlando-style!
Please include all your great deals and tips in your report. We Canadians should support each other, eh?!

Welcome, fellow Canuck!! Glad to have you along for another round! :thumbsup2

How far east of Toronto are you? We are also east of Hogtown, but about 2 hours beyond......so probably much further than you.

Your upcoming Orlando getaway is EXACTLY what we did for our 2012 trip! (minus the Aquatica....it wasn't included with Discovery Cove admission at the time) I am betting your family will enjoy it just as much.....if not more!.....than their Disney vacations to date. Discovery Cove, in particular, is absolutely outstanding......my favourite park in all of Orlando. I am missing not having that on our itinerary for any of our trips this year :sad: .

Speaking of DC, not sure how you have booked your reservation, but have you priced out the difference between purchasing DC tickets directly (which include SW & SQ admission for 14 days) and purchasing AP's (which are buy one, get one free right now) and then adding DC-only with the passholders discount? SeaWorld and Aquatica AP's are $180 (so with the BOGO offer, that's $90 pp) then DC would be $169 for the dolphin swim or $99 without the swim. And your AP's would get you free parking, discounts on dining at both SW & AQ, shopping discounts, etc. .... plus the passes would be good for unlimited visits for an entire year (a great excuse for another trip within the following 12 months!). At any rate, just thought I'd toss that out there in case it might save you a little cash in the long run. With an odd number of family members, the BOGO offer with the passholder DC tix might not work out in your favour (unless you want to adopt a 4th :rotfl2: or take a friend). That said, with our dollar on a skid, ever little bit helps.

I fear that this trip report might not have quite so much in the way of discounts.....especially when so much of it is focused on both playing at dining at Universal....but I will be sure to share what I do find! (plus, I'm in the planning stages for couples trip #2 in October and our family trip for Christmas week.....with 3 vacations to budget for within an 8 month period, I'm having to get REALLY good with scrounging for deals....so I will pass 'em all along as they arise).

Don't be shy as time goes on....keep adding your thoughts and comments to this thread! :goodvibes

Thanks, Gina, for the advice re: AP BOGO. I will get my trusty calculator out and do some math! You're right about the odd number, though. That third kid throws a wrench into a lot of things! Good thing we love her!

We live in Whitby so much closer to Toronto than you. In the past we've driven to Buffalo to fly to Orlando. We've had some lovely prices in years past but I'm not feeling so lucky this time. I've circled Feb. 26 because that's when Southwest will release dates into the end of August. I keep thinking how much easier it would be to fly from Toronto.....then I do a little searching and shake my head. The prices are ridiculous.

I recently bought a coupon for Crossroads at The House of Blues in Downtown Disney from restaurants.com. We ate there during our last trip and we really enjoyed it. I will be eager to hear about the restaurants you visit during your May trip.....I have a 'wish list' on the go and your past recommendations are on it!

Thanks for taking the time to share!

Okay, Gina, I've been doing my homework! From what I can gather, a SeaWorld annual pass is $180. Does each member of my family of 5 need to get an annual pass to get the discounted tickets for Discovery Cove?

I think I read somewhere that if you buy a discounted ticket for Discovery Cove it would NOT include Sea World and Aquatica.

Explain to me (in layman's terms!) what you think the best scenario is for us.
Thank you, oh wise one.....!

Okay, Gina, I've been doing my homework! From what I can gather, a SeaWorld annual pass is $180. Does each member of my family of 5 need to get an annual pass to get the discounted tickets for Discovery Cove?

I think I read somewhere that if you buy a discounted ticket for Discovery Cove it would NOT include Sea World and Aquatica.

Explain to me (in layman's terms!) what you think the best scenario is for us.
Thank you, oh wise one.....!

A SeaWorld/Aquatica annual pass (1 year admission to both parks) is $180. They are currently buy one get one free, so $90 pp. With an odd-number of people, you would need 3 passes at $180 for your family of five.

Your discounted passholder DC admission would then be $169 pp (assuming you are all doing the dolphin swim) or $99 without the dolphin swim.

So....

Annual passes for your family would be $540 (3 BOGO offers x $180)
Discounted DC admission for 5 with dolphin swims would be $845
Grand total = $1385

DC admission for 5 at $289 = $1445

I used $289 per person as that seems to be what is coming up as the rate for the last week of August....not sure what prices or exact dates you are looking at though.

So going the annual pass route would save you $60 initially ($150 if you could find someone else who wanted to be $90 friends and split the cost of the third BOGO AP that you need). PLUS you get the added bonus that you would have no parking fees at either SeaWorld or Aquatica, and save on all your food and souvenir purchases while at both parks (which adds up for a family of 5).

You are correct that you technically only need one AP to get the DC discount, however no one else would have the admission to the other two parks.

Do you travel yearly to Orlando? Would you be able to use the SW/AQ annual passes again within a 12 month period?

We got the BOGO free Sea World and Aquatica annual passes for DH and I. then we got discounted Sea World and Aquatica single day tickets for the kids. In the end it was a little cheaper than booking directly with DC and we will have the 10% off food, merchandise, and cabana.

Happy Sunday Morning friend!!

I am happy to see you will be with Jetblue for this trip. We haven't flown with them for a long time because Southwest always turns out better from Buffalo for us. But imagine my surprise when I saw a non stop on the day we need to fly home for $112 per person! I booked it last week and we're excited. Totally different experience to pick our seats again!

Today has been a trip planning morning. We are trying to nail down the activities the kids want to do for their birthdays. Oh yeah.. we spilled the surprise on a day that the kids had the winter blues. I'm a horrible surprise keeper.:lmao:

We didn't purchase the interactive wands last trip as we had a lot to pack in to two short days. So ds described his perfect birthday today (which will be our first full day). We'll check in to Cabana Bay after spending the night offsite (our flight gets in late) and we are going to head over to the parks for early entry. My 11 year old boy wants to purchase his interactive wand first thing in the morning and spend the day doing as many of the spells as time allows. He'd like to have lunch at the Leaky Cauldron and then for his birthday dinner he is torn between NBA city (which we've done) and the Hard Rock Cafe.
Sounds like the perfect day!

DD's 18th birthday is a few days later and she also wants to spend the day in the parks and chose Bubba Gumps for her birthday dinner. I bought the Landry's Select Club card in my dh's name so that will give us a $25 credit from purchase and another $25 because it's his birthday month. So $50 off of dd's birthday dinner and priority seating. That's a bonus as I expect it to be very busy on a Saturday night in March.

DD also wants to do the mini golf at city walk that night. I am trying to figure out if I can get the golf and meal voucher and use the meal on a different night than the golf. I read in someones trip report that they did just that. That would enable us to use the meal voucher at NBA city for ds's birthday and use the golf on dd's birthday since the restaurant she wants doesn't participate. We'd still order dessert on top of the meal voucher but it would save us a bit to do it this way. I suppose I should call and find out if it's possible.

Anyway.. I'm cluttering up your thread with my plans. I just love that we get to plan together!:)

I really appreciate the time you took to break down the scenarios for me. No, we won't be returning to Orlando again during the year and I supposed that's why I hadn't considered an annual pass. I do, however, love the idea of free parking and discounts while we're in the parks.

You mentioned that the Quick Queue is included in merchandise discounts. Do we have to purchase that ahead of time or can we make the decision to buy it if we find Sea World crowded on the day we're there?

If I buy the annual passes now will I have a code that I can use to purchase discounted Sea World / Aquatica tickets?

I'm sorry for taking up space in your Pre Trip Report!

Hi schumi, I am so happy to have you joining in! :cool1:

I must admit, whenever I see you posting on the boards, my mind tends to drift to your trip reports and all of Kyle's chocolate sensations....then you mention "brownie" points.....and now I'm craving dessert in the worst way :rotfl2: .

As the year goes on, I'm going to have to go back and re-read your past reports in greater detail to learn all I need to know about HHN. May is going to be our Universal re-acquaintance after a 3+ year hiatus, then Halloween at the parks is going to be all new for us too!

Oh looking forward to it Gina..........I won't mention brownies again........promise.......least not till after dinner :rotfl:.........

Love HHN and I'll bet you and the DH will too..........wow.......you haven't been for 3 years to Universal.......oh my..........you will see a difference......can't wait to read what you think about it ::yes::

We got the BOGO free Sea World and Aquatica annual passes for DH and I. then we got discounted Sea World and Aquatica single day tickets for the kids. In the end it was a little cheaper than booking directly with DC and we will have the 10% off food, merchandise, and cabana.

The extra savings....on things like dining, tours, cabana rentals, etc...are often overlooked by many folks in the planning process, and can seriously add up over the course of a weeks vacation!!

Happy Sunday Morning friend!!

I am happy to see you will be with Jetblue for this trip. We haven't flown with them for a long time because Southwest always turns out better from Buffalo for us. But imagine my surprise when I saw a non stop on the day we need to fly home for $112 per person! I booked it last week and we're excited. Totally different experience to pick our seats again!

Today has been a trip planning morning. We are trying to nail down the activities the kids want to do for their birthdays. Oh yeah.. we spilled the surprise on a day that the kids had the winter blues. I'm a horrible surprise keeper.:lmao:

We didn't purchase the interactive wands last trip as we had a lot to pack in to two short days. So ds described his perfect birthday today (which will be our first full day). We'll check in to Cabana Bay after spending the night offsite (our flight gets in late) and we are going to head over to the parks for early entry. My 11 year old boy wants to purchase his interactive wand first thing in the morning and spend the day doing as many of the spells as time allows. He'd like to have lunch at the Leaky Cauldron and then for his birthday dinner he is torn between NBA city (which we've done) and the Hard Rock Cafe.
Sounds like the perfect day!

DD's 18th birthday is a few days later and she also wants to spend the day in the parks and chose Bubba Gumps for her birthday dinner. I bought the Landry's Select Club card in my dh's name so that will give us a $25 credit from purchase and another $25 because it's his birthday month. So $50 off of dd's birthday dinner and priority seating. That's a bonus as I expect it to be very busy on a Saturday night in March.

DD also wants to do the mini golf at city walk that night. I am trying to figure out if I can get the golf and meal voucher and use the meal on a different night than the golf. I read in someones trip report that they did just that. That would enable us to use the meal voucher at NBA city for ds's birthday and use the golf on dd's birthday since the restaurant she wants doesn't participate. We'd still order dessert on top of the meal voucher but it would save us a bit to do it this way. I suppose I should call and find out if it's possible.

Anyway.. I'm cluttering up your thread with my plans. I just love that we get to plan together!:)

You are most certainly NOT cluttering up anything....I love hearing about your plans too! lol on letting the cat out of the bag :rotfl: ... for the record, I couldnt keep a secret like that, either. Hats off to you for not spilling the beans long before now.

I can only imagine that your kiddos were over the moon when they heard the news! Your trip sounds like its shaping up to be the best birthday week, ever :thumbsup2 .

I am eager to hear how you like Bubba Gumps. I adore the movie (one of my all-time favourites) but none of us like seafood .... so hopefully you will come back and tell me about some wonderful chicken dish that they have on the menu that we simply MUST give a try on our trip! :)

I really appreciate the time you took to break down the scenarios for me. No, we won't be returning to Orlando again during the year and I supposed that's why I hadn't considered an annual pass. I do, however, love the idea of free parking and discounts while we're in the parks.

You mentioned that the Quick Queue is included in merchandise discounts. Do we have to purchase that ahead of time or can we make the decision to buy it if we find Sea World crowded on the day we're there?

If I buy the annual passes now will I have a code that I can use to purchase discounted Sea World / Aquatica tickets?

I'm sorry for taking up space in your Pre Trip Report!

Hey, dont apologize....this kind of chatter is what a PTR is for :goodvibes .

Your annual passes would be for your SeaWorld and Aquatica admission. With an AP in hand, you can purchase your DC admission online using the PASSMEMBER14! code (type it in in the promo code box at the top of the screen). You just have to make sure you activate your AP before you visit DC, as you must show your annual pass to a DC staffer upon arrival to confirm your eligibility for the special passmember pricing.

As for the discounts on the quick queue, I dont think you will be able to purchase them online before you activate your pass. You *might* be able to do so by phone as long as you have your order number from your AP purchase. Definitely you could buy them at the park with your AP discount.

Oh looking forward to it Gina..........I won't mention brownies again........promise.......least not till after dinner :rotfl:.........

Love HHN and I'll bet you and the DH will too..........wow....... you haven't been for 3 years to Universal.......oh my..........you will see a difference......can't wait to read what you think about it ::yes::

You can tell we have embarked on a family healthy eating & exercise campaign (I refuse to say diet :rolleyes2) when a simple mention of brownie points has me drooling for chocolate. Yours truly was born with a sweet tooth courtesy of my Dad, so this lifestyle change is a killer :lmao: . I would like to feel more fit when we travel in May, so Steve and I have been swimming daily at the YMCA, and he has been working out independently as well. I am happy to say he has dropped 10 pounds in two weeks :thumbsup2 . No such dramatic results for me, but I am feeling pretty darn good.....chocolate cravings aside, of course :rolleyes1 .

I can only imagine how many differences we will see at Universal on our trip! They had just closed the Jaws ride the day prior to our last visit. THAT is how long its been since we were there.

As for our plans when we arrive....diet, be darned. I have having a Butterbeer as soon as the first cart opens for business :laughing: . And there is a big pink donut at Lard Lad with my name on it.

Gina we only have one seafood fan in our group (dd) so we've already picked out the non seafood entrees the rest of us are getting. Dh might get really wild and get the fish and chips but that's about as far as we go:rotfl:.

DD is vegetarian 90% of the year but eats shrimp and fish on vacation so this is a big treat for her. I'm sure she'd eat it at home if I knew or had any interest in making it :rotfl:. And we all love the movie too!!! DD just watched it for one of her high school courses so she's excited!

Gina we only have one seafood fan in our group (dd) so we've already picked out the non seafood entrees the rest of us are getting. Dh might get really wild and get the fish and chips but that's about as far as we go:rotfl:.

Well, now I'm REALLY excited to hear about how you like it ::yes::! Be sure to take some pics of your entrees for me....pretty please :flower3: .

------------------------------------------------

In other news today...........

We booked our October flights :). Jetblue opened their schedule today to October 24th, so we were able to secure our dates of October 10th to 17th. We'll be flying from Buffalo for that trip as prices were a little better than from Syracuse (and the flight times were better, too). Add in the fact that park and fly hotels are also cheaper in Buffalo versus Syracuse, and it made sense to choose Buffalo for that round.

The exchange was horrible.....it was like adding an extra ticket to the cost :sad2:. But what can you do? We ended up with the airline we prefer, excellent flight times, luggage included, seat selection included (including the fees to upgrade to Even More Space & Even More Speed), snacks included, and even the exchange rate factored in, and it was still cheaper than Westjet from Toronto.

96 days to go! (to May, that is....258 until October's vacation, and 328 to December's trip!)

Well, now I'm REALLY excited to hear about how you like it ::yes::! Be sure to take some pics of your entrees for me....pretty please :flower3: .

------------------------------------------------

In other news today...........

We booked our October flights :). Jetblue opened their schedule today to October 24th, so we were able to secure our dates of October 10th to 17th. We'll be flying from Buffalo for that trip as prices were a little better than from Syracuse (and the flight times were better, too). Add in the fact that park and fly hotels are also cheaper in Buffalo versus Syracuse, and it made sense to choose Buffalo for that round.

The exchange was horrible.....it was like adding an extra ticket to the cost :sad2:. But what can you do? We ended up with the airline we prefer, excellent flight times, luggage included, seat selection included (including the fees to upgrade to Even More Space & Even More Speed), snacks included, and even the exchange rate factored in, and it was still cheaper than Westjet from Toronto.

96 days to go! (to May, that is....258 until October's vacation, and 328 to December's trip!)

Yay!!:cool1: I'm glad you've got that all squared away. We did a great Park and Fly deal at the Days Hotel last trip. It was through the Peace Bridge Duty Free. I think it was $89 (plus tax and exchange of course) for the hotel and parking for all 8 days. You have to email or call to book the deal. It's worth it if it's still the same price closer to your trip.:)

And I will take pictures for you and make sure to give you our honest assessment of Bubba Gumps. Might be worth getting the Landry's card if you do decide to go.

ETA) Here's the link for the park and fly deal we booked in case you are interested:http://www.dutyfree.ca/DaysHotelFlying.aspx

Yay!!:cool1: I'm glad you've got that all squared away. We did a great Park and Fly deal at the Days Hotel last trip. I think it was $89 (plus tax and exchange of course) for the hotel and parking for all 8 days. You have to email or call to book the deal. It's worth it if it's still the same price closer to your trip.:)

And I will take pictures for you and make sure to give you our honest assessment of Bubba Gumps. Might be worth getting the Landry's card if you do decide to go.

Days Hotel is where we stayed when we flew from Buffalo before, and we were very satisfied. I am going to call them tomorrow and see what kind of rate they can give me (I know I have received a "repeat guest" discount code by email a few times....not sure if I can qualify for that again 3 years later, but hey, it doesn't hurt to ask :rotfl2:). Park and fly hotels are really pricey in Syracuse.....between $149 and $199.....so anything below that is a nice surprise for us!

You make a good point on the Landry's card....though my birthday isn't until November and Steve's is in June, so the extra birthday incentive won't work for us. Might be worth doing a little more research into that, though! :thumbsup2 It would be fun to add T-Rex (also a Landry's location, if I remember correctly) into our Christmas trip plans....it would be something Sweetie would enjoy, I am sure.

ETA) Here's the link for the park and fly deal we booked in case you are interested:http://www.dutyfree.ca/DaysHotelFlying.aspx

THANK YOU, my friend! You rock! :thumbsup2 We'd need a Friday booking so wouldn't quality for the $89 rate, but $109 is still right within my budget!

Woot, woot! :banana:

(in comparison, our park and fly for May at the Holiday Inn Express Syracuse Airport is $149, and that's with a Friends and Family Discount)

Ahhh, fond memories of last summer's crossing at the peace bridge. Not, an accident at the US side delayed us over an hour getting home. At least the ride into Canada was fast.

Guess I am lucky, as we live about 1 hour from our large international airport. No bridge crossings, just mostly highway around the city. No fast way, though we could also catch the local train for a few bucks. Takes about the same time by rail, so unless we get a ride from a family member, we take the train.

I have also used living social deals in Orlando. Works the same way as Groupon. Have both as apps on my phone, so now I don't have to print the deals. I get merchants to scan my phone. Easy.

We are to get a good amount of snow, so the thought of Florida is just a thought.

Happy hunting for low fares!:woohoo:

Days Hotel is where we stayed when we flew from Buffalo before, and we were very satisfied. I am going to call them tomorrow and see what kind of rate they can give me (I know I have received a "repeat guest" discount code by email a few times....not sure if I can qualify for that again 3 years later, but hey, it doesn't hurt to ask :rotfl2:). Park and fly hotels are really pricey in Syracuse.....between $149 and $199.....so anything below that is a nice surprise for us!

You make a good point on the Landry's card....though my birthday isn't until November and Steve's is in June, so the extra birthday incentive won't work for us. Might be worth doing a little more research into that, though! :thumbsup2 It would be fun to add T-Rex (also a Landry's location, if I remember correctly) into our Christmas trip plans....it would be something Sweetie would enjoy, I am sure.

I think you can defer your birthday reward for one month so you could use it on your December trip? I know I've seen it mentioned. If I come across more info I will make sure to let you know.:)

Ahhh, fond memories of last summer's crossing at the peace bridge. Not, an accident at the US side delayed us over an hour getting home. At least the ride into Canada was fast.

Guess I am lucky, as we live about 1 hour from our large international airport. No bridge crossings, just mostly highway around the city. No fast way, though we could also catch the local train for a few bucks. Takes about the same time by rail, so unless we get a ride from a family member, we take the train.

I have also used living social deals in Orlando. Works the same way as Groupon. Have both as apps on my phone, so now I don't have to print the deals. I get merchants to scan my phone. Easy.

We are to get a good amount of snow, so the thought of Florida is just a thought.

Happy hunting for low fares!:woohoo:

So jealous of you, Lynne! An hour from the airport.....:cloud9:. That would be a dream (lol, maybe not for my wallet....I'd always be looking for somewhere else to go :rotfl2:).

We're 2+ hours from Pearson in Toronto. 3+ to Syracuse. 4 to Buffalo.

I have used Livingsocial in the past as well....but for some reason, I don't remember to check it as often anymore. I get daily deal emails from Groupon, but nothing from Livingsocial. I must remember to check my account settings so I don't miss something good.

We had a great chat with the kids over lunch and dinner today about what they want to do on our Christmas trip, and I was shocked that they don't want to do any of the theme parks :confused3 . They want to go to the beach (if its warm enough), relax at the resort, SHOP, and hit up the non-park attractions like an airboat ride, mini golf, the new Orlando Eye (it should be long since open by the holiday season), etc. So Groupon and Livingsocial might become my new best friends :rotfl: . They tend to be good resources for those types of activities!

I am glad we'll be getting our theme park infusions in May and October :thumbsup2 . I had anticipated buying Seaworld and Aquatica AP's for December, but my bank account just got a break :) .

Sorry to hear that the big storm that's a-brewin' is going to hit your area. Fingers crossed that it won't be quite as awful as they are predicting!

I think you can defer your birthday reward for one month so you could use it on your December trip? I know I've seen it mentioned. If I come across more info I will make sure to let you know.:)

That would be fabulous! Do keep me posted if you find anything else out :goodvibes .

Hi Gina ,

Really enjoy reading your trip reports and excellent tips!!!! I try to remember them each time we plan our Florida vacation. My dh and I are off to universal - RPR during March break. First time without the kids- both in university - so very excited but sad as well. Not doing Discovery cove this time but hoping to add a day at Sea World. Congrats on your Anniversary!!!!

Jump00:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter