• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Price jumps for accessible rooms

carlins_leap

Mouseketeer
Afternoon all,

I wondered if anyone could offer some advice please.
We are planning our first ever trip to WDW after becoming veteran visitors to Disneyland Paris over the last 10 years or so.

I have requested numerous holiday quotes and I am really disappointed to find that ticking the option for an accessible room increases the price of the whole holiday quote by 25%

We are a family of 5 and my quote requests have been for one room.
If I do not tick the box for an accessible room, we get a fairly reasonable quote for a stay at either the Port Orleans or Caribbean Beach resorts.
If I do tick the box for an accessible room, then the only quote I get is for the Art of Animation Hotel - but with a price increase.

Does anyone know if the Port Orleans / Caribbean Beach have any accessible rooms that could accommodate 5 people?
Or can anyone shed any light on why the quote for an accessible room means the price increase? I didn't think it would be legal to do that?

Thanks
Steve

It's not so much a "price increase to for an accessible room" but rather the available accessible room is at a different resort, a family suite, and is more expensive. The room price for an equivalent room at the same resort should be the same regardless of whether it's accessible or not.

Also to know -- (POR) Port Orleans Riverside has rooms that sleep 5, POFQ (Port Orleans French Quarters) does not. So be sure you are looking at the correct Port Orleans resort. If your dates are flexible, try adjusting the dates a bit to see if you can find availability.

I just price-compared random dates next spring at POR and per-night rates are the same for regular or accessible.

It's not so much a "price increase to for an accessible room" but rather the available accessible room is at a different resort, a family suite, and is more expensive. The room price for an equivalent room at the same resort should be the same regardless of whether it's accessible or not.
This. All of the resorts have accessible rooms, but when they are sold out you will see accessible options that are still available at other resorts. Unfortunately, in your case, the available room is a suite, which is a higher price than a standard room for everyone.

There are fewer options for a family of five overall in the moderate and value categories, so there are probably fewer accessible options for a family of five as well.

Also to know -- (POR) Port Orleans Riverside has rooms that sleep 5, POFQ (Port Orleans French Quarters) does not. So be sure you are looking at the correct Port Orleans resort. If your dates are flexible, try adjusting the dates a bit to see if you can find availability.

I just price-compared random dates next spring at POR and per-night rates are the same for regular or accessible.
Exactly
The ADA requires that resorts have accessible rooms to represent the categories available in non-accessible rooms. Resorts are not allowed by the ADA to charge more for an accessible room in the same category.

But, once all the accessible rooms in one category have been reserved, what is left may be the higher priced categories - things like Preferred location, special views or suites

You are not comparing apples and apples. Each resort has different prices. If you are flexible with your dates then try for other dates until you get the resort for 5 that is accessible for the rate you desire.

Prices are different for resorts for different times of the year, too. If you go at a peak time like Christmas then you will pay more compared to other times of the year. Weekends are higher priced, too most of the time.

You have the option of staying at an offsite resort, too. There are offsite resorts that will provide shuttle service. Those may be cheaper priced.

We are a family of 5 and my quote requests have been for one room.
When is your trip? I agree with others that your room choice is likely sold out because it's a busy time. Also, accessible room means a lot of different room styles (like for hearing impaired, some have tubs and no walk/roll in shower). Currently I need a "walk-in" shower so I look for hotels that I know I can get one (like Coronado tower, or the garden view rooms at CR). If I can't find something I try to book one that has a barrier free shower so I know I can use it, but most of the rooms that come up in my search even for accessible rooms are rooms with tubs which are no good for me at the moment.

Anyway...just trying to think of perhaps another way you could search for rooms depending on your needs - since most accessible rooms won't work for me but some regular rooms can. Also having 5 people in the room is limiting in many resorts which only allow 4, so it cuts back on what hotels will show up for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter