Paying balance with gift card

leebee

DIS Veteran
If I pay my resort balance in advance with a gift card, and then have to cancel for some reason, are the funds returned to a gift card? I was thinking of getting a couple when Sam's runs their specials and pre-paying some of my room, but maybe I'll just take the cards to Disney with me when I go, and do it there.

If I pay my resort balance in advance with a gift card, and then have to cancel for some reason, are the funds returned to a gift card? I was thinking of getting a couple when Sam's runs their specials and pre-paying some of my room, but maybe I'll just take the cards to Disney with me when I go, and do it there.
They will refund to the gift card(s) used so make sure you keep them.

If you purchase gift cards, I would recommend using them for merchandise and QS purchases (anything that doesn't have a gratuity line on the receipt). With any return (merch) or cancellation (resort), the refunds will go back on the gift card.

DO NOT throw card away! Keep it in a safe place, just in case. OR at least write down the Card# so you would be able to transfer funds back.

Funds are returned to the original payment. So yeah if you pay with a gift card they go back on the gift card.
I know many people do this but I would NEVER. Just my personal opinion.

Funds are returned to the gc’s used for payment. This is only a problem if you don't want the money wrapped up with Disney because anyone who buys disney gc's at all should keep a record of the gc numbers, where and when it was bought, the receipt, and where it was transferred to or spent if it is prior to your trip.

I've had many a resort refund go back to a gc, they're usually done within 24 hours. If you don't have the card or the numbers of the gc because you didn't bother to keep decent records you can get a refund on a new card, it's just a much longer process.

The note above about merch in parks is good too, if you need to return something you charged directly to a gc they need the original gc to process the refund to. Idk what happens if you don't have it as I've always had it with me.

Last edited:
You might also consider combining your gift cards using the Disney Gift Card site: https://www.disneygiftcard.com/ up to $1,000 on a single Gift card.

Dave
This :thumbsup2 Plus, The site also has two factor authentication for security. We take pictures of our GC's.
I have been using this process and paying our whole trip off with them, resort, room charges etc. for years now. The money saved (5-10%) has paid for ADRs. a desert party etc. over the years. I definitely like having my family using the MB's to charge to the room and then I go to the lobby and pay it off every couple of days with my GC and also get a printout to keep track of everything, found a couple of mistakes in the past and was able to handle it right then and not after the trip. This way is also more secure, you lose your GC, that $ is lost, where as our family MBs are PIN protected. Not to mention that I do not have to give everyone in the family a GC to buy stuff, so much more freedom for all of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter