Optimistic October, 2022 W.I.S.H. Thread

I'm obsessed with colored pens and markers. An extension of my crayon collection as a child, I collect gel pens, sharpies, Crayola & Mr. Sketch markers in every imaginable color. My biggest challenge is finding a blue or black pen to sign documents lol.

I'm rarely disappointed when plans are cancelled unless it's someone very special to me that I never see. Otherwise, I really love my "me time."

I love clean fresh sheets after a hot shower.

I love my time alone enjoying my coffee which I like to refer to as the "nectar of the gods." My favorite coffee time is in my Adirondack chair at the beach while the waves crash before me.
8E59DE36-6294-4D39-8603-B1D138EE0E67.jpeg7D74A904-DA6F-44E3-AF51-520909041F16.jpeg

I’m also a pen person and only use one specific brand, which makes me very happy while I’m doing my morning pages. All of those are true for me except for the coffee.

Self-care today was making a change in plans. Once again I forgot how long it takes to do the prep on fabric before it is ready for dyeing and got started too late. The pieces of linen had to soak over night, so instead of getting up early to head north to the pumpkin farm I’ve had a nice leisurely morning and am now on a midday ferry. I’m going to take the long way to Port Townsend on the other side and drive up the west side of Hoods Canal, which adds an hour as I have to go south to get around the end of the waterway. It is always a beautiful drive and with some fall color on the trees should be even better.

Check in for the retreat starts at 3pm and I’m really getting excited for it!

Good Morning! I love most holidays. For Thanksgiving we typically go to DH's family at about noon and my moms around 4. We usually drive DH's grandmother to his parents house as well. We always put up our tree the Friday after Thanksgiving and it stays up until after New Years. On Christmas eve I cook and have Dh's family over. I make a big Thanksgiving type dinner. On Christmas day we go to my moms. Dinner changes every year but it is pretty laid back. Somewhere over the week we will get together with my dad's family as well. We have also started a new tradition of getting together with our close friends at some point too.

I love my pen as well. I get one of the more expensive pens and at work we need to make them last. My boss and I like the same ones. I was the keeper of the pens and no one was aloud to have one unless the one they had ran out of ink. It was serious business. But know things have changed at work it with only being in the office 1 day and the pens really don't matter to most any longer.

I do love new sheets too.

Tomorrow not sure what we are going to do....the patriots game is usually carried by our local cbs/fox affiliate but our cable provider is not currently carrying it due to a contract dispute...really hoping that gets alleviated by tomorrow.
If you didn't see the game you didn't miss much. The Browns are horrible. Yes, this is our team and I think we are all crazy for still being Browns fans. We turned the game off before the 1st quarter was over and stuck with watching the Red Zone channel instead.

I did have fun watching the Bill's game and was really routing for them.

My classes for day one are complete and I’ve really enjoyed them. Tomorrow is the foray in to the woods but it has been so dry here there are very few mushrooms around. It has turned into just a half day outing so I’m planning on going in to town in the afternoon to mill around.

I feel like I’m doing very well meeting people, making eye contact and small talk. Being here with people of common interest does make it easier.

Motivation for the test of the week is to stay engaged and mentally stay here and get the most out of it that I can.

As I mentioned in the question, I'm involved in a program called "senior college" for people over 50. It offers short courses (usually 6 weekly sessions) on a variety of topics. Most are over Zoom, but some are starting to be in person. It's been a lot of fun, and in addition to the mental stimulation, I think the social aspect is healthy.

I think the drive to have new experiences and learnings is one of the positive aspects of ADHD because it gives my brain the stimulation it craves. And one of the positive aspects of Instagram is that it regularly introduces me to new people and ideas… and books, so many books on the to be read pile came from someone on IGs’s suggestion.

I have a subscription to Master Class, the most recent course I’ve completed was Bob Iger… nothing revolutionary but he did say every day he gives himself quiet time to just think and does something creative. And there’s Pinterest for learning smaller things, like a new knitting stitch or recipe. And You Tube, of corse.

I'm at a place in my life and career that I'm endlessly learning new things...
  • Technology seems to change constantly, and I must adapt in order to perform my job.
  • In education, teachers are students until they retire.
  • Learning how to deal with behaviors in children that I never experienced before in my 22 years.
  • Finding ways to handle a new breed of parents in a positive way.
  • Searching for ways to manage stress better and be a healthier person overall.
I was thinking the other day how I have 9 years left before I retire. I used to crave early retirement, but I don't want that right now. I wouldn't be surprised if I taught well into my advanced age. I do know that when I retire, I will want to keep my brain nimble. I will take art classes, sing in a choir, and spend a lot of time at the beach.

Lifelong learning is crucial to brain health in my opinion and that learning does not have to be complicated or intense! Learning a new hobby or random skill! I hope to re-learn how to knit soon and started gardening during covid so that was a bit of a learning curve. I watch a lot of theme park history on YouTube, a really enjoy learning about these smaller local and international parks. Been learning more about skin care and nail art...not challenging per say but new information and skills that make me feel and look better!
Work projects allow for learning new approaches.
As a parent of elementary students I am now learning common core math. I do not enjoy this learning LOL.

Lifelong learning is crucial to brain health in my opinion and that learning does not have to be complicated or intense! Learning a new hobby or random skill! I hope to re-learn how to knit soon and started gardening during covid so that was a bit of a learning curve. I watch a lot of theme park history on YouTube, a really enjoy learning about these smaller local and international parks. Been learning more about skin care and nail art...not challenging per say but new information and skills that make me feel and look better!
Work projects allow for learning new approaches.
As a parent of elementary students I am now learning common core math. I do not enjoy this learning LOL.
If you haven’t already found her, Caroline Hirons is a goddess when it comes to skin care.

Ahhhh Tuesday!!! I hope everyone’s is going well!

I missed motivation Monday, but I love that quote @PollyannaMom ❤️

I will be the first to admit I am not too good at learning new things as a adult but I am getting better as I age because I am putting in the effort!!

I am in a Bible study every Thursday currently and I have about 2 hours of homework each week which certainly keeps me on my toes, as I have not done homework in FOREVER!

I am enjoying the study and hope the church offers another study after this one!!

I hope everyone has a great Tuesday!

Woohoo, the retreat is everything I hoped it would be. Right now I’m sitting in my room ( barely more than a closet with a twin bed and desk, as we’re staying in the old barracks) watching the sun rise over Puget Sound. My class this morning is part two of a needle punching project, taught by the gal who put on the retreat up in Cordova that I went to in 2018.

Woohoo, I’ve had very little coughing and only minor tummy aches. I’ve had no caffeine this week, very little dairy and almost no sugar… and my body is happy about these changes.

Woohoo, I’ve finally started walking, as food, classes and sleeping quarters are spread across the fort campus. After just a couple days I’m no longer feeling stiff and crunchy. This, along with the dietary changes are the kick start I’ve been needing and I feel like I’ll be in good shape for WDW by keeping this up after I get home.

And woohoo, I think mostly because of all of the above, I had my best sleep score ever last night, a 90 against 7 hours of sleep.

Definitely worth celebrating, @Oneanne!

WooHoo here for a nice day, so the kids can run around the playground.(I picked my friend's little ones up from school today)

WooHoo that I got sweeping and vacuuming done this morning! (Nothing like working a little exercise in to things that need doing anyway.)

And Woohoo that I had lots of veggies with lunch!

Anyone else have something for Woohoo Wednesday?

I’m thankful that I survived an extraordinarily long day at school yesterday which included extra students in my classroom, one of which has severe health issues; repeated physical outbursts by my challenging student; an impromptu math observation by an outside authority; and a 2+ hour workshop lasting until 5:30pm. Someone should have checked my blood pressure at some point. All the more reason for me to get healthier so that I don’t have a serious health event.

I am thankful that I got my flu shot and Covid booster so that I can relax a little as the holiday season ramps up.

I am thankful that I only have two more days of school this week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter