On This Disney Day In May - May 2023 Exercise Challenge

PollyannaMom

I was a click-clack champ!!
Welcome to the May 2023 exercise thread! To keep the thread fun and interesting as we pop in to add our minutes, we'll be taking a look at a bunch of different things that happened this month in Disney history. (Unless otherwise noted, all the daily info quotes are attributed to - http://www.thisdayindisneyhistory.com/.)
If you’re returning, we’re excited to have you back! :cheer2: If you’re new, :welcome: to the team! Here’s how it works:

Each person chooses a time goal and posts minutes towards that goal as they exercise. You can post daily or just catch up when you can. You decide what movement counts towards your goal - which can be a nice round total for the month, a specific number that means something to you, or a calculation based on a target number of minutes per day. Since March has 31 days, here are some common conversions:

15 minutes/day = 465
20 minutes/day = 620
30 minutes/day = 930
45 minutes/day = 1395
1 hour/day = 1860

One of the special motivations of our Disney challenge is color changing! Page one will be updated with individual and team color changes as we make more and more progress.

10% - Sully Blue :sulley:
25% - Tigger Orange :tigger:
50% - Figment Purple :figment:
75% - Cheshire Cat Pink :ccat:

90% - Lightning McQueen Red :car:
100% - Grim Grinning Ghosts Green :hmghost:

We’re officially starting this challenge on May 1st, but if you don’t find the thread until later in the month, you’re still welcome to join! There's no better time than the present to start toward your goals!! Just post your goal and I’ll add you to the list. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and to check out old threads to see what’s been going on.

Participants:
PollyannaMom - 600/600

livih99 - 545/450
Raya - 600/600
sophy1996 - 1,310/1,200
Oneanne - 2,850/1,395
Twilight Sparkle - 2,360/2,200
Bethislucy - 660/650

piglet1979 - 100/620
------------------------------------
Team Total - 9,025/7,715 (117%)

Last edited:
On May 1st in 1940:
Walter E. Disney, of Los Angeles, receives patent #2,201,689 from the United States Patent and Trademark Office, for the "art of animation" camera. The multiplane camera allows for a more realistic three-dimensional image as well as depth and richness to the animation. The device uses up to seven layers of artwork (painted in oils on glass) shot under a vertical and moveable camera.

I'm going for 600 minutes. I'll be home this month and in the parks for two days, so I know I'll get those walking minutes. :)

And since we won't get to my favorite obscure Disney fact date I'll put it out there early: Nixon made his famous "I am not a crook" speech from the Contemporary hotel on August 8, 1974. The speech was less than 20 minutes long, but often quoted and it went on to become a part of American history. ...and it happened in my favorite hotel, less than a mile from Magic Kingdom. 8-)

On May 1st in 1940:
Walter E. Disney, of Los Angeles, receives patent #2,201,689 from the United States Patent and Trademark Office, for the "art of animation" camera. The multiplane camera allows for a more realistic three-dimensional image as well as depth and richness to the animation. The device uses up to seven layers of artwork (painted in oils on glass) shot under a vertical and moveable camera.

One of my favorite exhibits within One Man's Dream... which I recently found out isn't the real name of the museum part but will forever be so in my heart.

Dropping my goal a little since I wouldn't have reached it at all last month if one of our horses hadn't ended up getting injured. All that extra horse time at the end came from caring for her.

I think I'll go for 2200 this time.

10 minutes rebounding so far but heading to the barn soon.

10/2200

Thanks again for taking May, @PollyannaMom! Excited to hear what all happened this month in Disney history!!!!

Managed to get in 17 minutes of a walk before the rain started up again. Got the luggage out for our trip last night - I love the part where you start packing and picking up the little things you need it makes the trip feel so real.

17/600

25 minutes for me (45/600) and the team is already up to 347 minutes!

On May 3rd in 1969:
Ground is officially broken for the California Institute of the Arts in Valencia, California. Also known as CalArts, the school was founded by Walt Disney when the Chouinard School of Music and The Los Angeles Conservatory merged in the early 60s. (Although Disney had died a few years before this ground breaking, the CalArts student newspaper will still be called Walt.)

CalArts Today:
1683115848881.jpeg 1683115857027.jpeg

Hey everyone. I'm back after the crazy 3 months down from foot surgery. I just got the okay from my surgeon to start back exercising. I have to start slowly so for this month I'm in for 650 I'm hoping that's going to be too low but I would rather have a goal I can reach getting started back.
Great theme :)

60/650

90/1200

A bit of a slow start but should be fine.

A Behind the Attraction episode talked about Mr. Lincoln’s problems at the World’s Fair. A strong beam of light from another attraction was interfering with the electric system and caused him to go out of control, smashing his chair!

No new minutes for me yesterday.

1683196145746.png

On May 4th, 1994:
A moment on the floor of U.K. Parliament includes the first recorded use of a pun that will spawn its own holiday. Harry Cohen (at this time a Member of Parliament from Leyton) quotes his researchers as saying, "May the Fourth be with you," a play on the date and the tagline "May the Force be with you" from Star Wars. The pun (which may or may not have been original to Cohen’s staff) will be repeated countless times, to the extent that May 4 will be recognized as Star Wars Day by Lucasfilm, Disney and fans around the world.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter