Oh, The Places We’ll Go! From the “stars” to the “sea”: Universal, SeaWorld & beyond - Spring 2016

Ooo, that pasta looks good! I need to expand my quick service options at SeaWorld and give it a try (typically I stick to the pretzel kitchen)

Looks like a lovely start to the day! We will have to give IHOP a try. We have that and First Watch on our breakfast list for October. We don't seem to do a lot of breakfasts at restaurants, instead opting for a quick bite in the room before we hit a park. Our trips as of late have been way more relaxed though and we're all happy to take some time out to enjoy a breakfast or two.
I can't wait to see what Jake thought of the Simpsons area. We think it's very well done. I'd even say it's my kids favourite Universal ride. We all really enjoyed eating at Moe's last year and I thought Disney could take lessons from how the line and seating is set up there. I'm looking forward to heading back in October!! :)

Looks like yu guys are having a blast! Can't wait for the next update!

Thank you Callie!! I am having a crazy couple of days here.....the end of the month tends to be nutty for me as far as work commitments go....but I'm going to try and get at least a short update posted by the end of the day. Wish me luck!!

finally caught up!!! yeah for a slow work week!
Seeing the flamingo walk would be worth the price of admission to me alone! How awesome. And I agree on Wild Arctic. I rode it in Sea World San Diego in 2003. Ruined the rest of my day at the park, you would think I would have learned after Star Tours in the early 90s. Simulators and I do not agree.
Does Sea World have a rider switch like WDW? I don't think DD would make the height on the bigger coasters (nor do I think I would want her riding them at 6 even if she did) and DH and I might want to try one if we went there in Nov.

Gina, you should get a job as a sales rep. Your reports have me very close to throwing out any Disney plans for this fall. DD really wants to go to Lego Land and I just can't justify the cost of a one day ticket to MK anymore. Our trip is usually part of a Daytona Beach stay with my grandparents deal and we spend a few nights in Orlando (I hate the stress of driving in). I feel like SW may just be what we need for this "family experience." Love that BTW!!!Plus I feel like after all the bad press SW has unfairly gotten, I need to go there just to support them.

I may mail your son a Penn State shirt. I can't handle all the Ohio State in the previous trip reports. :) Now I have to convince DH to hit the outlets too!

Thank you dalmatian7 :goodvibes. I very much appreciate your kind words!! Working in the Orlando tourism industry is a dream that my heart definitely entertains on a regular basis..... but unfortunately, without US work Visas, its a dream that will not be realized for at least a while yet. Once Jake gets a little more independent, it might be something we start actively looking into, though: I like to think that where there's a will, there's a way :thumbsup2.

Sorry about all the Ohio State gear....LOL, the Nike Clearance Store must've been a little short on Penn State clothing. Hopefully you will see him suit up in something a little more acceptable in the coming entries ;).

How great to find Hello Kitty so effortlessly! One of the things I love about Universal is how low-key everything is, especially character meets! Can't wait for the rest of your days' reports...I'm pouncing on them as soon as they are posted :D

It was so exciting!! :banana: (well, for me anyway.....not sure the guys were quite as keyed up about Hello Kitty as I was :rotfl:)

I'm with you on the "ease" of Universal....its what draws us back to the Universal and SeaWorld parks and what keeps us from doing much Disney. I like easy, effortless, spontaneous, and unscheduled. Those kind of qualities just scream "vacation" and "fun" to us.

SeaWorld Day 1 was a smashing success! You did so much and didn't even go to a show -- there is a lot to see and do there :)

Love that you met Hello Kitty just as you entered Universal! I haven't met her yet but she's on my list. I'm not necessarily a fan, but who could resist a photo with that cuteness?!

Maria :upsidedow

She was absolutely adorable :goodvibes. And after so many character meets over our last several trips, it was exciting to meet someone new! (spoiler alert.....we actually ran into several new character for us during our Universal days......much to our surprise and delight!)

Hmm, I don't know why that kitty version would have all the hoopla. She looks just like the one I see in our local mall, outside our kitty store. Cute. And so lucky to have no line. Great picture by the way.

And yes the power of the early riser. I love a beautiful early morning to tour the parks. So exited to be back in the parks again this October and during Christmas.

Follow on.......

You must be so busy with two trips in the planning stages!! I know my October vacation is keeping me busy all on its own. I'm sitting on hold with Disney dining as we speak :rolleyes1.

Back from vacation and all caught up. Sorry about that VIP experience. You're brave for possibly trying it again.

I didn't realize the penguin ride was closed for you trip. It was closed for ours in Feb. and I thought it had reopened in March. We saw a flamingo parade in Busch Gardens a couple of years ago. We even got to feed them back in their pen. The handlers said they were ambassadors and even flew on planes to destinations all over the country. :)

As a general rule, I think everyone deserves a second chance (and sometimes, even a third).....so we'll give the VIP folks another opportunity to amaze and impress us :). If they mess this one up, though, I think Steve is prepared to write them off completely!!

Busch Gardens is still on my to-do list....we're actually thinking of trying to incorporate a week in the Tampa area into one of our 2017 trips, God willing. Its high time we check out BG and all the other great things in that region.

It really looks like, crowd wise, you picked the perfect time for your trip! Low crowds and good weather so far, thats awesome!

The end of April/early May time frame is rapidly becoming a favourite. I simply LOVE the weather and the crowd levels :sunny: ... the only thing that keeps October neck-and-neck with spring are the Halloween events.

Great time at SW! I can't wait to read more about USO day! Hello Kitty is soo cute, I can't wait for my girls to meet her! :)

They are going to fall in love with Hello Kitty!! She makes for some super pictures, too!

Your departure date is coming up so fast, I bet there's a ton of excitement in your house these days :hyper:. I love the end of the school year, so fun!

Ooo, that pasta looks good! I need to expand my quick service options at SeaWorld and give it a try (typically I stick to the pretzel kitchen)

We tried the pretzel kitchen for the first time on our 2nd Seaworld day and LOVED it :thumbsup2. We will most definitely be dining there again on future visits, too.

Looks like a lovely start to the day! We will have to give IHOP a try. We have that and First Watch on our breakfast list for October. We don't seem to do a lot of breakfasts at restaurants, instead opting for a quick bite in the room before we hit a park. Our trips as of late have been way more relaxed though and we're all happy to take some time out to enjoy a breakfast or two.
I can't wait to see what Jake thought of the Simpsons area. We think it's very well done. I'd even say it's my kids favourite Universal ride. We all really enjoyed eating at Moe's last year and I thought Disney could take lessons from how the line and seating is set up there. I'm looking forward to heading back in October!! :)

We rarely, if ever, eat breakfast out at home, so breakfast out on vacation is a real indulgence. Not that our trips needed more indulgences :rolleyes1 ... my waistline is still feelin' the effects of this last getaway!!

Waiting impatiently for the Simpsons review! :D Although I will be steering clear of the sandwich selections :crazy2:

I hope to get something up later today. I am a terrible trip reporter this week......I need another hour in the day during the last week of the month!! :faint:

Ooh! I can't wait to see what Jake thought of the giant pink donut! I have to believe one of those was consumed :cloud9:

Maria :upsidedow

This is going to shock and dismay you, but there was no Big Pink consumed on this trip :scared1:.

I am so ashamed :guilty:.

Oooh IHOP. Haven't had it in years but excited to try it with my incoming crew. Excited to see Jake's reaction to Simpsons, too!

I think you'll really enjoy IHOP. Their menu is HUGE!! So many choices!

Tuesday, April 26th: continued

As we headed into Springfield, Jake’s eyes were wide and his head was almost on a steady swivel: he hardly knew which way to look first. When he heard The Bart Man playing over the loudspeaker, we couldn’t have wiped the smile off his face if we tried :teeth:.

Most folks had run straight for Diagon Alley once they entered the park, so we seemingly had Springfield all to ourselves….which allowed Jake to stop and gawk and admire all the little details that would have made Matt Groening proud.

Jake got the biggest laugh out of the Duff Beer Men topiaries…….

…..and neither of my funny fellows passed up the chance for a Duff Man photo op :p:

We toured the Kwik E Mart and perused all the awesome Simpsons souvenirs. Jake debated purchasing a Duff tank top but eventually decided against it…..the shopping spree on our arrival day had depleted his budget quite significantly and there was still a substantial amount of vacation left.

He almost passed out at the size of the Big Pink Donuts: he knew they were big (he had seen our photos from previous trips) but there’s just something very impressive about actually seeing one in person. I asked the guys if they felt like sharing one but our IHOP was still firmly hanging on in our stomachs….for now, we would take a pass. Oddly enough, we never did go back to purchase one :confused3 ... not on that day, or any of the other two that followed. So many treats, so little time.

It took a bit of convincing…..the “Hurl” in the name initially had him a bit worried….but we convinced Jake to take a spin with us on the Twirl ‘n Hurl.

While spinny rides can often be his nemesis (for some reason, coaster loops are perfectly fine but the sharp spin of a child’s ride seriously messes with his head), he eventually decided that if *I* would ride it, it must be pretty tame (and he was right! :rotfl:). We headed into the empty queue, happy to note that it was a walk-on at that early hour of the morning. Steve and I shared one car, while Jake rode behind us.

Not exactly a “thrill” ride by his coaster-loving standards, but he thought it was a very cute and perfectly themed addition to the new-and-improved Springfield :thumbsup2. It also provided a great opportunity to cool off as the sunshine grew warmer with each passing minute :sunny:.

Ah, every vacation should be this relaxing! :cloud9:

We ended up riding it twice…..no line! :woohoo:.....before moving on to our next adventure. There was lots of park left to conquer! ::yes::

Jake tried to get Steve to ride Simpsons with him, but my big guy took a pass: Simpsons is one of the few Universal attractions that left Steve feeling super sick the first (and only) time he gave it a go :sick:. Even Forbidden Journey, which has the potential to turn my Steve a little green from time to time, isn’t anywhere near as offensive as Simpsons was to him. We encouraged Jake to go ahead and ride by himself….we were happy to wait and amuse ourselves in the whimsy of the Springfield area….but he wanted to do things as a family, and suggested we find something we could all do together. Luckily, we didn’t have far to go to fulfill that request:

Everyone was up for a ride on Men In Black :hyper:. We stowed our loose items in the locker and headed into the queue. The posted wait time was 5 minutes….yay! Who needs Express Pass? We love the end of April! :banana:

My guys LOVE a ride where there are points to be earned, and bragging rights at stake. Not only do they work ridiculously hard to beat each other, but they will do anything to guarantee that they aren’t somehow beaten by MOM (because that, obviously, would be the ultimate in shame :rolleyes2). Yep, the competitive streak in our house runs deep!! :lmao: Steve ended up having the best score of the three of us, with Jake respectably right behind him. My score, was, well……let’s just say low :blush:. Shooting aliens is obviously not one of my finer talents. But it was fun nonetheless, and we got a good laugh from the crazy deep concentration that was etched deep into our faces on our ride photo:

13124532_10154675619426416_5494365488518964888_n.jpg

We collected our personal items from the locker and took a much-needed washroom break. Once we had reconvened back outside, Jake asked if we could pop back over to the games at Springfield so he could try and win one of the prizes at the basketball game. He had hopes of winning a Homer (the big prize) but was unfortunately one three-point shot short one the final ball was tossed. He did net a stuffed cow (who, according to the tag, was named “Moo Moo”) for his efforts. He was just happy that he didn't have to leave empty handed :). Yes, my guys DO thrive on competition.

Both Jake and I tried to get Steve to give the Sledge Homer game a try, but he wasn’t feelin’ it quite yet. Apparently, he needed some liquid energy first: in the form of a Butterbeer, of course :drinking1. Jake hadn’t yet laid eyes on the amazing Diagon Alley, so our next stop was clear: onward to London!

Diagon Alley is next!

Took me a little while to get caught up again. Thank you for the advice on the character breakfast. My niece is supposed to call today and find out if we can do it on one of our Universal days. I also though I would mention that I have decided to add a Seaworld day to our next trip. We haven't been there in about 10 years and you're making it look very tempting.

No Sledge Homer game yet? I figured it had to be coming in this update! Oh well.....I am sure there are plenty of large stuffed animals ahead!

Steve is adamant that timing is everything when it comes to his success on the sledgehammer games. Well, timing and Butterbeer :rolleyes:......he assures me that that's a key ingredient, too. Of course, he might just be schmoozing me in an effort to sneak in an extra Butterbeer :rolleyes1 but I'm totally okay with that!!

Took me a little while to get caught up again. Thank you for the advice on the character breakfast. My niece is supposed to call today and find out if we can do it on one of our Universal days. I also though I would mention that I have decided to add a Seaworld day to our next trip. We haven't been there in about 10 years and you're making it look very tempting.

That's awesome!! :cool1: You are going to have SUCH a great time. Fingers crossed that BOTH items make it onto your vacation itinerary! :thumbsup2

I am sure moo moo will find a good home with the minions.

The did a great job with Simpsons area. Like it.

Nice when the park is empty.

Touringplans called for a quiet day at US, so we weren't really surprised when crowds were so low. We used TP and the Dibb to determine which days we would visit which park, and they were spot on every time. When we had opted to forego purchasing Express Passes, we had to choose well ::yes::.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a minion adoption yet

LOL, fear not......there's a new friend or two to be made before the end of this day. The luggage did not come home empty ;).

No cheese stretching AND no big pink?! Are you sure you guys even went on vacation?! :scared1:

Where is the 'hanging my head in shame' emoji when I need it? :o

I love that Jake appreciated Springfield and took the time to really explore it. I have passed by the Duff Topiaries many times, but it was not until I saw your picture how funny they are! I love Universal and Disney so much because it seems like I am always finding new things to appreciate!

I love that Jake appreciated Springfield and took the time to really explore it. I have passed by the Duff Topiaries many times, but it was not until I saw your picture how funny they are! I love Universal and Disney so much because it seems like I am always finding new things to appreciate!

We feel exactly the same way. Even after so many visits, we're pointing things out to each other and asking.....Has that always been there?

Great update!

That Simpsons ride is the worst for motion sickness. It really needs a refurb and a higher resolution screen or something!

Steve seems to be growing more sensitive to the simulators with age. I am not sure aging brains can handle that kind of motion the way the young pups can. Jake seems to have the enviable ability to tolerate most any ride.....except Wild Arctic, LOL!

Tuesday, April 26th: continued

We had spent a decent amount of time muddling around Springfield, then some additional time at Men in Black, so we expected that Diagon Alley would be packed by the time we got there :crowded:. That “expectation management” was pretty much the sole topic of discussion as we approached London.

We have seen it much, MUCH busier in this area, so we were slightly surprised that it was still so quiet. Maybe everyone is actually IN Diagon Alley itself? :confused:

Jake was pretty impressed just by this area (“Wow, it actually does feel like we’re in Europe!”…..well sheesh Jake, that’s kind of the point! :rotfl:) so we knew he’d be wowed by DA. The best…and most impressive….was yet to come ::yes::.

We stopped at the Knight Bus and had plans on introducing Jake to the shrunken head (who we have found HILARIOUS on previous visits), but Dre Head was silent (hanging in the window, but not talking :() so we didn’t bother for pictures with the Knight Bus Conductor.

Jake wasn’t terribly interested in that photo op, and Steve and I had snapped pictures there on both our May and October trips, so we decided to avoid wasting time in the small line head into Diagon Alley instead.

It was busy-ish, but surprisingly manageable and really not bad :thumbsup2. We’ve walked in and hit literally a WALL of people at this point, so it was a nice to still feel like we could move freely around and explore without being shoulder-to-shoulder with other guests. I was happy that Jake’s first taste of Diagon Alley came so uncrowdedly :).

I sent the guys straight to Escape from Gringotts. The line would only get worse and worse as the day went on, so with crowds pretty manageable I was hopeful that the standby time wouldn’t be too horrible. There would be plenty of time to explore the rest of the area afterward.

What a delightful surprise to find the posted wait as only 20 minutes! Wahoo! :woohoo:

I wasn’t feeling the need to ride this one today…..quite frankly, while it’s a great attraction I still hate that drop in the darkness at the beginning :scared:…. so I was more than happy to explore and take pictures while the guys had their coaster-ish fun. I took their hats, keys and cellphones and set off with camera in hand while they dashed into the queue.

I was just completing the first loop of DA when I heard the first rumblings of the dragon….that familiar snorting and growling that signified she would soon be awakening.

Look at that sky!!! Simply gorgeous!! :cloud9: ( I will note that it was snow flurrying back home on that day…..and I’m not kidding :crazy2:)

The growling grew louder….so I readied the camera…..

…..and a few seconds later, she erupted in her signature roar of fire:

I was just sad that Jake has missed it! No worries, though…..he would see before we left the area. We were in no rush and had the entire day at our disposal.

True to what was posted, the guys were literally about 20 minutes from the time they left me until the time they emerged from the ride exit. Jake was super impressed by Gringotts, and rather shocked that I managed to ride it not once, but TWICE on our May visit. He patted me on the back, and says “Sometimes you surprise me mom. That was pretty intense at times and would have been a real stretch for you. I’m proud that you were able to ride that”. Aw.

With Gringotts now scratched off the to-do list, we went straight to the task of showing of all the little highlights of Diagon Alley to Jake. There was so much to see!! :hyper:

Jake did, indeed, get to witness the great roar of the dragon several times as we toured around. It was actually kind of nice, because after capturing it from straight on earlier that morning, we ended up directly on either side for the next two eruptions……so I was able to capture the fire from all perspectives that day.

It doesn’t seem to matter how many times we walk through this section of the park, I always want to be snapping pictures. There are so many cool details that I can’t bear to put my camera away as we walk along.

Hmmmm….perhaps my Sexy Bald Guy could use a Sleekeazy’s Hair Potion Scalp Treatment? :scratchin

We took Jake through the Money Exchange, and watched the Goblin have some great conversations with guests:

…..and of course, we stopped for Butterbeer :drinking1. Everyone had been eagerly awaiting their first cup of our favourite Universal beverage.

We sat around the Picadilly Circus Fountain as we finished our Butterbeers, then pondered where we wanted to head next. Since Jake had really only enjoyed part of the Harry Potter experience, the decision was easy: a trip on the Hogwart’s Express was definitely in order :banana:.

Next up….all aboard to Hogsmeade Station.

I agree Diagon Alley is just amazing....I am not a Harry Potter guy (although the wife and son like it) but I could walk around the alley all day looking at all the details. I really hope Disney reaches this level of detail and immersiveness (not a real world, I know!) with their new lands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter