Oh, The Places We’ll Go! From the “stars” to the “sea”: Universal, SeaWorld & beyond - Spring 2016

It's rare that I meet anyone pickier than myself, but it sure nice to know I'm not the only one who is finicky :blush: .
You can take my word for it. I won't eat hamburgers, any condiments, onion rings, etc. It would be easier to just list the food I actually eat. I was told by a friend that she was shocked that I would eat Black Olives and Black Licorice (even the salty Dutch stuff).

Yay!! I have been waiting for a Krispy Kreme picture! I remember when you saw the cookie-themed donuts being advertised, and I am glad they lived up to your expectations! Besides the rotten check-in experience, your first day sounds pretty great!! It is so cool that Jake likes to spend time with you guys. You are pretty fun parents!

OMG Yummy! We love Red Robin as well...and Krispy Kreme! Funny thing is many Krispy Kreme stores near us closed and disappeared as well. We were sad. Recently they opened up another one though...and yes we visited it last around Christmas, after dinner, and it was delicious. I am a sucker for Krispy Kreme donuts but as much as I love them...I almost always end up sugar crashing HARD later and wanted to just nap after having one (or two) of them. Still seeing this makes me think, with our upcoming vacation, maybe that will be our go-to for breakfast one day as well! :)

I just have to toss this one out there for you Krispy Kreme eaters. Not to say that I have not had a few myself. A close friends of mine ended up in the hospital after eating an entire dozen of the glazed ones over the course of a day. Now this guy is about 6'2'' and VERY fit. He works out 7 days a week. The short story is that the sugar content was so high that it cased damage to his liver. I think it was called a sugared liver which is something that happens to diabetics that do not control their diet. He had extreme pain and was sent to hospital by ambulance. It took 2 days to figure out that it was the doughnuts.

Moral of that story....DO NOT eat a dozen a day

So much krispy kreme choice. We do have them in England but they are expensive about $3 each.

I'd recommend bahama bay happy hour. 4-6 weekdays they half half price appetisers inc the onion rings and cheaper drinks. I drive location is excluded but Lake buena vista and kissimee are included.

We had a meal of several of the appetisers. Is in my 2015 trip report day 2 I think.

I'm all for a new adventure! What else is there to to in KC?

We have Worlds of Fun and Oceans of Fun (not as grand as Universal obviously, but two nice little amusement parks for the summer), the World Champion Kansas City Royals (more baseball!), the Downtown Power & Light district for food, music & fun. Kansas City now has a pretty thriving music scene (if you google, you will see -- if you're into that sort of thing -- my boyfriend being one of the great musicians here). We have the beautiful new Kauffman Center for the performing arts that has lots of great shows. It's really become a trendy great town to visit. Not too big, but lots of stuff. We have a great Union Station to visit with varying exhibits; a wonderful Nelson Art gallery. And, we're cheaper comparatively speaking. ;) We have fabulous restaurants as well! :) Not only some of the ones you listed, but some great local ones!

We have Worlds of Fun and Oceans of Fun (not as grand as Universal obviously, but two nice little amusement parks for the summer), the World Champion Kansas City Royals (more baseball!), the Downtown Power & Light district for food, music & fun. Kansas City now has a pretty thriving music scene (if you google, you will see -- if you're into that sort of thing -- my boyfriend being one of the great musicians here). We have the beautiful new Kauffman Center for the performing arts that has lots of great shows. It's really become a trendy great town to visit. Not too big, but lots of stuff. We have a great Union Station to visit with varying exhibits; a wonderful Nelson Art gallery. And, we're cheaper comparatively speaking. ;) We have fabulous restaurants as well! :) Not only some of the ones you listed, but some great local ones!
OH, I forgot to add the wonderful Plaza shopping -- the first outdoor shopping area built in the US. :)

That's good to know! I could never manage to eat all those onion rings AND then a big burger! Half order of rings would be perfect,

I found the cake mixes at Walmart in the Poconos, PA (we have a weekend home there).

Thank you!! I will be making a stop at one of the Orlando Walmarts in October for sure! Considering how fast it was devoured after you baked it, I can assume the cake tasted just like a Krispy Kreme original glazed? How fun!

You can take my word for it. I won't eat hamburgers, any condiments, onion rings, etc. It would be easier to just list the food I actually eat. I was told by a friend that she was shocked that I would eat Black Olives and Black Licorice (even the salty Dutch stuff).

Oh, the Dutch Dropjes!! (pronounced 'DROE-PEES) Those give me nightmares :scared: (you can tell you I'm only a Dutch wannabe.....my authentic Dutch hubby adores them). For the rest of you who have NO idea what we are talking about, you can read about them here:

http://www.invadingholland.com/guides-to-holland/the-horrors-of-dutch-drop-liquorice

I love Red Robin ...yum! Do you guys ever travel to Orlando around your birthdays? If so, sign up for their birthday club and they send you a coupon for a free burger! :woohoo:

Jake's a January baby, Steve's b-day is in June and mine's November......so no birthday offers for us :sad:. But what a great deal for those who do get the pleasure of travelling during their birthday months! I bet that little nugget of info will be quite helpful to several of my readers here, so thank you for sharing that :goodvibes.

Yay!! I have been waiting for a Krispy Kreme picture! I remember when you saw the cookie-themed donuts being advertised, and I am glad they lived up to your expectations! Besides the rotten check-in experience, your first day sounds pretty great!! It is so cool that Jake likes to spend time with you guys. You are pretty fun parents!

Our first day definitely redeemed itself. We refuse to let those little bumps along the way shadow a whole day in a negative light.

LOL, I like to think we're as cool as a pair of 40-somethings can get :teeth:. Jake's a wonderful person and we have always enjoyed a great relationship with each other. We have been very blessed, indeed. He very much appreciated one final foray in the Florida sunshine as he starts embarking into official adulthood. I know he treasured each experience a little more than normal knowing there's no specific return date in his future.

Is that one Krispy Kreme a cookies & cream? That looks yummy!

The cookies and cream donuts were SENSATIONAL :worship:. My favourite KK of all time. I can't believe they were a limited offering......its going to be hard to top those, let me tell ya.

OMG Yummy! We love Red Robin as well...and Krispy Kreme! Funny thing is many Krispy Kreme stores near us closed and disappeared as well. We were sad. Recently they opened up another one though...and yes we visited it last around Christmas, after dinner, and it was delicious. I am a sucker for Krispy Kreme donuts but as much as I love them...I almost always end up sugar crashing HARD later and wanted to just nap after having one (or two) of them. Still seeing this makes me think, with our upcoming vacation, maybe that will be our go-to for breakfast one day as well! :)

We are staying at Wyndham Cypress Palms for one of our October weeks, and Krispy Kreme is literally right outside the entrance to the resort. I can tell you what we will be enjoying with our morning Tim Hortons coffee that week! Once the hot light comes on and we get the notification on the app, we'll be out the door!

I just have to toss this one out there for you Krispy Kreme eaters. Not to say that I have not had a few myself. A close friends of mine ended up in the hospital after eating an entire dozen of the glazed ones over the course of a day. Now this guy is about 6'2'' and VERY fit. He works out 7 days a week. The short story is that the sugar content was so high that it cased damage to his liver. I think it was called a sugared liver which is something that happens to diabetics that do not control their diet. He had extreme pain and was sent to hospital by ambulance. It took 2 days to figure out that it was the doughnuts.

Moral of that story....DO NOT eat a dozen a day

You're such a party pooper. There goes that idea :sad2:. Surely our out of country medical coverage would cover illness that's self-inflicted where gluttony is concerned? ;)

So much krispy kreme choice. We do have them in England but they are expensive about $3 each.

I'd recommend bahama bay happy hour. 4-6 weekdays they half half price appetisers inc the onion rings and cheaper drinks. I drive location is excluded but Lake buena vista and kissimee are included.

We had a meal of several of the appetisers. Is in my 2015 trip report day 2 I think.

Thanks for that tip, Stephanie :thumbsup2. The LBV location is the one will will probably eat at anyway, so that's perfect!

Those are some might expensive donuts at your local shop. Our whole dozen was $9.49 including tax!

OH, I forgot to add the wonderful Plaza shopping -- the first outdoor shopping area built in the US. :)

Great to know! Perhaps we could even time a visit when the Jays are playing the Royals.....then we could add a little sports culture to that awesome list of attractions, too! :thumbsup2

dancin Disney - never said it was a good idea, can't believe I was diagnosed with Type 2 at 31 years old:rolleyes1

And trust me, don't try to eat a 5 pound steak with all of the trimmings in 90 minutes either - very bad results! My jaw still hurts, and it was 25 years ago.

Gina - thanx for the pics - 25 days and counting, they are a great way to pass the time for me.

I love Red Robin ...yum! Do you guys ever travel to Orlando around your birthdays? If so, sign up for their birthday club and they send you a coupon for a free burger! :woohoo:
Good to know! Remember that evil plot to plan a vacation for March break that I mentioned a few pages ago? Well both Dh and Ds would have birthdays that week (dd too, but a few days after we would get home)! So I'm definitely putting this offer in the plus column. Also, there is Final Four basketball in Orlando that week!!! If Dh wasn't convinced before (and trust me, he's not:rolleyes1) then he will be when I buy him tickets for his birthday :rotfl2:.
Unfortunately there is also Final Four basketball in Buffalo the same week and that's only 40 minutes away. So my nefarious plan might yet fall apart.

ETA) Just in case I seem too pushy.. DH happily gets pulled along into all these trips. He's just rightfully balking a bit because I started planning the next next trip before we left Orlando last week.:rolleyes:

Those Krispy Kreme pictures make me so hungry... I remember when we went to Disney for our honeymoon in 2001 and before we had Krispy Kreme in Wisconsin, we got 2 dozen of Krispy Kremes down there...so yummy!!!

Gina, oh what a laugh that link was! My dad's side is Dutch (both his parents) so we grew up eating them. I have one of my daycare children that will eat the cat shaped ones (not salty). My BIL bought them thinking they were the ones my sister wanted him to pick up. I'm trying to work her way up to the double salt. Years ago my sister and I were at a fair and they had some of the Dutch licorice but none of the double salt kind we love. Well we both said at the same time they should make triple salt. Now they do!

Thanks for that tip, Stephanie :thumbsup2. The LBV location is the one will will probably eat at anyway, so that's perfect!

Those are some might expensive donuts at your local shop. Our whole dozen was $9.49 including tax!

Out of interest I checked and a dozen mixed is $17.50 equivalent here in UK. Even with bad exchange rate food/eating out is still better value in USA for us Brits.

Pretty palm tree pictures!

I admire how you guys always make time to swim or jump in the hot tub. We get so lazy and hope the kids forget lol.

dancin Disney - never said it was a good idea, can't believe I was diagnosed with Type 2 at 31 years old:rolleyes1

And trust me, don't try to eat a 5 pound steak with all of the trimmings in 90 minutes either - very bad results! My jaw still hurts, and it was 25 years ago.

Gina - thanx for the pics - 25 days and counting, they are a great way to pass the time for me.

25 days.....that's going to FLY by in a heartbeat! You must be getting so excited! :hyper:

Good to know! Remember that evil plot to plan a vacation for March break that I mentioned a few pages ago? Well both Dh and Ds would have birthdays that week (dd too, but a few days after we would get home)! So I'm definitely putting this offer in the plus column. Also, there is Final Four basketball in Orlando that week!!! If Dh wasn't convinced before (and trust me, he's not:rolleyes1) then he will be when I buy him tickets for his birthday :rotfl2:.
Unfortunately there is also Final Four basketball in Buffalo the same week and that's only 40 minutes away. So my nefarious plan might yet fall apart.

ETA) Just in case I seem too pushy.. DH happily gets pulled along into all these trips. He's just rightfully balking a bit because I started planning the next next trip before we left Orlando last week.:rolleyes:

LOL, I am grateful every day that Steve and I have the same philosophy: always have the next trip booked before the current one ends. He literally looked at me as we fastened our seatbelts on the plane on our departure day and said "Well, how many days until we get to do this again? :lmao:

Those Krispy Kreme pictures make me so hungry... I remember when we went to Disney for our honeymoon in 2001 and before we had Krispy Kreme in Wisconsin, we got 2 dozen of Krispy Kremes down there...so yummy!!!

They beat Tim Horton's donuts by a landslide....ditto to Dunkin Donuts. I can't imagine working there: I'd seriously gain so much weight I'd start looking like a donut!

Gina, oh what a laugh that link was! My dad's side is Dutch (both his parents) so we grew up eating them. I have one of my daycare children that will eat the cat shaped ones (not salty). My BIL bought them thinking they were the ones my sister wanted him to pick up. I'm trying to work her way up to the double salt. Years ago my sister and I were at a fair and they had some of the Dutch licorice but none of the double salt kind we love. Well we both said at the same time they should make triple salt. Now they do!

*shudder* ... try as I might, I just can't develop a taste for them. The first time Steve slipped me one in church when we were dating, I seriously thought he was trying to poison me :sick:. Triple salt!?!?! :crazy2: Oh dear!! LOL

I want that tower of Onion Rings!!!8-)

I hope you have a Red Robin in your neck of the woods so you can address that craving in short order :teeth:.

Out of interest I checked and a dozen mixed is $17.50 equivalent here in UK. Even with bad exchange rate food/eating out is still better value in USA for us Brits.

Same for us Canadians. Dining out is so much cheaper than at home....bigger portions, too!

Pretty palm tree pictures!

I admire how you guys always make time to swim or jump in the hot tub. We get so lazy and hope the kids forget lol.

Nights in the hot tub are some of our favourite parts of vacation. Of course, its easy to work in with older kids....no bedtimes to adhere to makes the sky the limit as far as time goes. It's much harder if your children are younger ::yes::.

Monday, April 25th: a full day at SeaWorld

After an unstructured arrival day, we were anxious to get all the theme park fun underway. We had a very busy, very active itinerary expertly mapped out and there was no time to waste……vacation time passes far, far too quickly.

Much to my sleep-loving boy’s chagrin, I roused my two fellows early enough for us to be out the door and at SeaWorld just as the park officially opened for the day at 9 am. It was a gorgeous, warm, sunshiny day :sunny: and we were in absolutely no rush (we had the whole marvelous day stretching out before us), so we stopped for some pictures with our Photokey annual pass (purchased with the pass member discount just prior to our Christmas trip) as we entered the park:

13124456_10154674475906416_3097239272767854706_n.jpg

13103485_10154674475611416_3384141458382459046_n.jpg

After our brief stop for photos, we headed to Guest Services to redeem our pre-purchased vouchers for our all-day dining passes ($34.99 each, less 10% for passmembers, for a total of $31.49 per person). We also had intended to purchase Quick Queue for all of us, but were immediately assured by the Guest Services rep that it wouldn’t be needed today: low crowds, and equally low wait times, were forecast by park staaff so we should save our money and tour without it :). That was happy news that saved us about $60 in the overall budget, so we were in high spirits as we headed to the Seafire Grill for breakfast with our all-day dining plan.

The all-day dining plan had changed a bit since we last purchased it in August 2014. At that time, it included a full hot breakfast at one of the participating restaurants within the park, but it has since been changed to continental offerings only at Seafire Grill. We were quite okay with the downgrade to breakfast, as we generally don’t want a ton to eat first thing in the morning anyway, and the guys didn’t want to completely fill up before strapping in for rides on the roller coaster.

They had several different items from which to choose, including some massive (and very fresh) muffins…..

…..plus there were various fruit pastries and large, fluffy croissants (not pictured, unfortunately, but definitely there):

There were various single-serving cereal bowls too, and fresh fruit in small cups (strawberries and oranges)....oh and look! I spy a croissant after all! :magnify::

We ate at one of the tables on the inside of the restaurant along the glass wall that borders the lagoon, so we had a lovely view of the park as we ate. We could also have dined outside had we chosen to….there were plenty of clean tables to pick from:

Crowds were indeed very light, with few folks still milling about after we finished our morning meal.

I took advantage of the early morning quiet to gather a few pictures of the Waterfront …. I think this part of the park is so beautifully done.

The guys weren’t quite ready for a ride on Manta just yet….they needed time for their muffins and milk to settle a bit….so we opted to head to Antarctica instead. It felt like we were the only people in the park!

We admired the gardens outside the Sea Lion & Otter Theater: I especially love the sea lion topiary!

We decided to make our first attraction of the morning Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin. It usually gets busier later in the day and boasts some of the longest lines in the park, and with taking a pass on the Quick Queue, we thought it was smart to take in his park feature now just in case the Guest Services rep was off on his prediction of low attendance. Just to be on the safe side!

Jake struck a “cool” pose in honour of the park’s coldest attraction:

You can imagine how gutted we were to see this sign, then, prominently displayed as we proceeded toward the ride queue:

Say it isn’t so! :sad:

We were super grateful we had a second Seaworld day planned for one week from now…..the penguins are some of our favourites.

We toyed with the idea of just going through the penguin viewing line (that part of the attraction was still open to visitors) but for now, we decided to move onward toward Journey to Atlantis instead. The boys were itching for the thrill of the first ride of the trip, and I was anxious to indulge them.

We are just getting started….much more SeaWorld coming up!

Another fun installment, Gina! I do love the lunch signs under the fruit...avocado ranch looks like strawberries to me :hyper:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter