Not thrilled with having to fly on a Boeing plane.

I always fly Delta and was surprised when I saw it was a Boeing jet. It's always been Airbus. I thought about switching flights to fly out of MCO but I just love flying out of the Melbourne, Florida airport. It's a fairly short flight to Atlanta and then I'm on an Airbus the rest of the way to Michigan.

Delta flies the 717, 737-800 & 737-900, 757 series, and 767 series. All of these planes have fabulous safety records. They have been around for decades.

Equipment swaps happen. Especially with weather. Personally, I would never switch my flight on Delta because it switched to a Boeing. I’m glad you didn’t as there really is no reason to, imho.

Well, the good news/bad news is Southwest is again considering switching to assigned seats. They actually did it years ago on flights out of San Diego years ago as an experiment. The problem then was, their planes did not have the seats numbered. I flew last month on Southwest and see they now have the seats numbered so they seem to be moving that way.
It is funny that they are known for their cattle call seating system, famous for it, yet their customer service surveys show it is the number one complaint passengers have.

Honestly, I prefer Southwest's boarding process. It's easier and faster. Yeah, you have to checkin right at 24 hours to play Southwest Roulette, but once you have your position, you just deal with it. I often travel light and alone, so it almost always works out for me. I get a good boarding number and grab the front-most seat available - I might go back a row or two to grab a window or aisle, but if I have a later number, I'm coming for your middle seat!

I don’t think that will be the case for long. Delta has been waiting for a 757 replacement that has not materialized from Boeing.

Perhaps the Airbus A321XLR?

And with the 767-300 retirement and replacement with more A330 and A350 the fleet will be majority Airbus.
You’re correct. It likely won’t be.

But the shock PP had that their Delta flight was on a Boeing surprised me.

Honestly, I prefer Southwest's boarding process. It's easier and faster. Yeah, you have to checkin right at 24 hours to play Southwest Roulette, but once you have your position, you just deal with it. I often travel light and alone, so it almost always works out for me. I get a good boarding number and grab the front-most seat available - I might go back a row or two to grab a window or aisle, but if I have a later number, I'm coming for your middle seat!
This trip I paid the $50 extra and got preferred automatic check in. First time ever I have gotten an "A" boarding pass.

They do fly all Boeing's, almost all 737 and variants. I actually find the boarding process orderly. Ruin someones day by taking the first middle seat you see! 🤣
I'm a tiny 5'4" woman so people practically fall over trying to get the middle seat next to me LOL

But the shock PP had that their Delta flight was on a Boeing surprised me.
I guess it depends on where you normally fly out of and into.

I have wanted to fly an A220 but never fly anywhere Delta uses them. They don’t come into or go out of Atlanta.

I have wanted to fly an A220 but never fly anywhere Delta uses them. They don’t come into or go out of Atlanta.
I just flew on one this morning. According to the preflight announcement, there's a window in the rear, left side lavatory. I was in the window seat, otherwise would have had to check it out. Lol

Aside from the length and width, most planes are the same to me (aside from entertainment/wifi).

I just flew on one this morning. According to the preflight announcement, there's a window in the rear, left side lavatory. I was in the window seat, otherwise would have had to check it out. Lol

Aside from the length and width, most planes are the same to me (aside from entertainment/wifi).

I like to “collect” plane types.

But I tend to fly the same places on the same plane types.

it really did shock me. Every flight I’ve been on in the last five years, and my husband and kids, has been an Airbus. Melbourne, FL to Grand Rapids, Orlando to Los Angeles, flights to Seoul, Colorado, etc. All Airbus. Luck of the draw, I guess.

I have the same. Flying tomorrow for 11 hours on a Boeing 787-10 on an airline I trust. I have worked for this airline for over 10 years. I know how it works.
And still... reading the news today and seeing another incident with Boeing in Turkey and Dakar and an interview with a former Boeing employee about things going wrong... It does affect me. Trying not to, but it does affect me a bit.

Trying not to think about it, upgraded my seat to Business Class, and going to enjoy my flight tomorrow :)
I’m surprised you’re a tad skittish when you know how it works.

The 2 incidents you just mentioned were not due to recent Boeing issues.

Dakar was a 737-300, that plane is ancient. I would not put that on Boeing. It is likely a maintenance issue with the airline, TransAir.

In Turkey, a tire blew. It happens. It’s a non normal event. No one was injured. Again, it is with that airline, Corendon, not Boeing as it was not a failure of the aircraft, but a tire blow out.

The media is doing what it does best — getting clicks and ratings. They are broadcasting and sensationalizing every incident that’s on a Boeing plane. It’s what they do. And the public reads or hears Boeing and they automatically assume it’s their fault. Nature of it all, I get it. But you have to look at the big picture.

Boeing deserves all the heat for the real issues they have. It all started when they outsourced and didn’t work in house to save money. And even then, some of the finger pointing can go to the airlines who pressured for a cheaper price. But at the end of the day it is on Boeing. Catering to your buyer should not surpass safety. End of story.

It will in June! Have to fly to Santa Barbara (SBA). Book your ticket, @kdonnel. ;)

it really did shock me. Every flight I’ve been on in the last five years, and my husband and kids, has been an Airbus. Melbourne, FL to Grand Rapids, Orlando to Los Angeles, flights to Seoul, Colorado, etc. All Airbus. Luck of the draw, I guess.
It is funny because when I saw MLB my first thought was the 717. That plane tends to work those short haul flights.

I like to “collect” plane types.

But I tend to fly the same places on the same plane types.

I get that. Delta purchased Lion Air 737-900's. I do not like that plane. Not because of safety or anything important. Because that plane has no in seat entertainment and 1 row of Comfort Plus. It tends to work short legs in and out of CVG and ATL.

Sometimes I cannot avoid that plane, but if I can I do because I don't care for it. I wish they would just retrofit them already.

Yeah, I know, it's my mind playing tricks on me.
And it shows how the media works. Every negative article about Boeing adds to the pile "Oh dear, another bad thing about Boeing". The media is keen to highlight Boeing in the headlines.

Here in the Netherlands we have something similar, the biggest newspaper has an aviation reporter who is always on the lookout for negative breadcrumbs about our national airline or airport. If she can write a negative article or headline, she will. She is like a British tabloid.
At a certain point we almost started to ignore articles she had written. But I can't deny it does mess with your mind if you keep reading it.

The options for me are:
  1. Fly with a Boeing plane.
  2. Fly with stops, making the trip longer and also maybe be on a Boeing plane.
  3. Not fly.

I am more worried about the plane having wifi, the plane leaving on time and not getting stuck between two big passengers than what plane I board tbh.

Last edited:

Dakar was a 737-300, that plane is ancient. I would not put that on Boeing. It is likely a maintenance issue with the airline, TransAir.

In Turkey, a tire blew. It happens. It’s a non normal event. No one was injured. Again, it is with that airline, Corendon, not Boeing as it was not a failure of the aircraft, but a tire blow out.

The media is doing what it does best — getting clicks and ratings. They are broadcasting and sensationalizing every incident that’s on a Boeing plane. It’s what they do. And the public reads or hears Boeing and they automatically assume it’s their fault. Nature of it all, I get it. But you have to look at the big picture.

Boeing deserves all the heat for the real issues they have. It all started when they outsourced and didn’t work in house to save money. And even then, some of the finger pointing can go to the airlines who pressured for a cheaper price. But at the end of the day it is on Boeing. Catering to your buyer should not surpass safety. End of story.
And all the air traffic control issues in the news lately aren't Boeing specific. Just lots of scary plane stories around these days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter