NEXUS fee to rise significantly

So if we apply before the summer, its still only 50 even if we dont get approval till after the raise comes in?

children under 18 do not pay for nexus, so the increase is the same for a family of 2 as a family of 4/5/10 provided the kids are not adults.
Good point. It has been 4 years since we applied so I forgot about that. Would still be an extra $210 USD for our family though.

I don't have NEXUS and a big reason why is I believed the in person interview was in Toronto or Ottawa. That's a big drive and time commitment for me. However, I checked out the OP's link and it looks like the interview can be done at the Thousand Islands Bridge crossing. That's a much easier get for me and doable as a day trip. Thank you @deedubb for posting. I'm going to check into this in detail and find out for sure if Thousand Islands is really available. At the moment, before the price hike, $50 USD for 5 years is a tremendous service for a very low price.

Edited to add: for some weird reason, I also thought a retina scan was required but I don't see any mention of that at all on the website. Looks like fingerprints and a photo. I think I had that idea as years ago I sat beside a woman on an AC MCO to YYZ flight and after we deplaned and were walking at the same clip through Pearson, she stopped before Immigration/Customs and scanned her eye on a small machine beside a door and then the door opened and she walked through. Sounds like something out of Mission Impossible. For whatever, reason I thought that might be NEXUS. However, it is more likely she was with security, or an air marshall, RCMP, police or some other security service. She wasn't the most pleasant person to sit beside. I read a paperback and had a sandwich on the flight. She smirked away and rolled her eyes. Anyway, I clearly was a very boring seatmate for the flight. After watching her retina scan, she was definitely the interesting one.

Last edited:
I don't have NEXUS and a big reason why is I believed the in person interview was in Toronto or Ottawa. That's a big drive and time commitment for me. However, I checked out the OP's link and it looks like the interview can be done at the Thousand Islands Bridge crossing. That's a much easier get for me and doable as a day trip. Thank you @deedubb for posting. I'm going to check into this in detail and find out for sure if Thousand Islands is really available. At the moment, before the price hike, $50 USD for 5 years is a tremendous service for a very low price.

Edited to add: for some weird reason, I also thought a retina scan was required but I don't see any mention of that at all on the website. Looks like fingerprints and a photo. I think I had that idea as years ago I sat beside a woman on an AC MCO to YYZ flight and after we deplaned and were walking at the same clip through Pearson, she stopped before Immigration/Customs and scanned her eye on a small machine beside a door and then the door opened and she walked through. Sounds like something out of Mission Impossible. For whatever, reason I thought that might be NEXUS. However, it is more likely she was with security, or an air marshall, RCMP, police or some other security service. She wasn't the most pleasant person to sit beside. I read a paperback and had a sandwich on the flight. She smirked away and rolled her eyes. Anyway, I clearly was a very boring seatmate for the flight. After watching her retina scan, she was definitely the interesting one.
When I applied for NEXUS, you needed the retina scan if crossing the border by air but I think it is no longer required. I do recall having to do a retina scan at YYZ years ago, but did not require it last summer.

From the YEG Nexus page:

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) recently modernized the way NEXUS members are processed at Canadian airports. The existing NEXUS kiosks that use iris recognition technology have been replaced with new, modernized NEXUS kiosks that use facial verification technology.

To facilitate the transition to facial biometrics, your cooperation is required. You will need your passport the first time you use a new kiosk. You will be prompted to upload your passport photograph during your first passage for storage and identity verification purposes. Members who do not have a passport will be referred to an officer for identity verification.

From the YEG Nexus page:

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) recently modernized the way NEXUS members are processed at Canadian airports. The existing NEXUS kiosks that use iris recognition technology have been replaced with new, modernized NEXUS kiosks that use facial verification technology.

To facilitate the transition to facial biometrics, your cooperation is required. You will need your passport the first time you use a new kiosk. You will be prompted to upload your passport photograph during your first passage for storage and identity verification purposes. Members who do not have a passport will be referred to an officer for identity verification.
This explains a lot for me. When we used it at YYZ in September we had to use our Nexus and passport. When we went through in March we only used our Nexus. I was prepared for both so it totally confused me. I think I like this.

This explains a lot for me. When we used it at YYZ in September we had to use our Nexus and passport. When we went through in March we only used our Nexus. I was prepared for both so it totally confused me. I think I like this.
We've only been through once since the change (connecting at YYC) so we had the longer photo upload process to contend with. Glad to hear your later experience was so streamlined. It's funny, since we hadn't travelled to the US since pre-covid, on the way down I wasn't sure whether we'd get the old global entry kiosks or the newer touchless kiosks. In the after security line at YYC, I asked where the Nexus line was, she just pointed, to a desk, with a CBP agent sitting at it. Needless to say, my inner-techie was disappointed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter