News Round Up 2016

This was just posted by black562 at http://www.disboards.com/threads/2016-free-dining-watch-and-more-part-3.3505756/page-6#post-55652947

"I was just given a heads up. Fall Room Discount PIN Codes are now rolling.

Up to 30% off - For stays 8/26-11/11 and 11/26-12/23.

You may have a PIN and not even realize it, so always ask whenever you call, they can tell if there's a code attached to your name."

I thought PIN codes come in via email, although I supposed one could end up missing an email thus not knowing they have a PIN code. Who do you ask? Just the regular front-lines phone Cast Member?

I thought PIN codes come in via email, although I supposed one could end up missing an email thus not knowing they have a PIN code. Who do you ask? Just the regular front-lines phone Cast Member?

I remember in the e-mail they would attach PIN codes to accounts and never send out any notifications. Not sure if it still happens, but it has.

I am realizing one of the great things about owning DVC is not having to chase discounts. I really don't miss that aspect of Disney trip planning.

I got my last one via snail mail.

That's pretty cool. If I got one in the mail I'd probably frame it :)

I remember in the e-mail they would attach PIN codes to accounts and never send out any notifications. Not sure if it still happens, but it has.

I am realizing one of the great things about owning DVC is not having to chase discounts. I really don't miss that aspect of Disney trip planning.

Interesting. I remember my fiancee getting a PIN code (which was only able to be applied during a stay window which didn't work for us unfortunate). If I was reading that email I totally would have missed it. It came in a generic looking Disney Destination email which had a subject line something to the effect of "We have a great offer for you".

At the very bottom of the email in a "pixie dust" box was the PIN code. Again, I totally would have missed it.

Being and Annual Pass Holder, we saved what we consider to be a ton of money using our AP Discount for our June trip coming up. Saved a total of $1,000 between 3 rooms.

Looks like this went through:

NBCUniversal Announces DreamWorks Animation Acquisition

http://thrillgeek.com/2016/04/nbcuniversal-announces-dreamworks-animation-acquisition/

Under the terms of the agreement, DreamWorks Animation has an equity value of approximately $3.8 billion. DreamWorks Animation stockholders will receive $41 in cash for each share of DreamWorks Animation common stock.

The transaction is expected to close by the end of 2016

What does this mean for Universal theme park? It means that Universal Creative has full and direct access to such films as Shrek, Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda and How to Train Your Dragon. No specific theme park has ever had exclusive rights to DreamWorks films, which is why there are several attractions at various theme parks based on DreamWorks films, including Europe, Dubai and of course, Orlando.

Looks like this went through:

NBCUniversal Announces DreamWorks Animation Acquisition

http://thrillgeek.com/2016/04/nbcuniversal-announces-dreamworks-animation-acquisition/

Under the terms of the agreement, DreamWorks Animation has an equity value of approximately $3.8 billion. DreamWorks Animation stockholders will receive $41 in cash for each share of DreamWorks Animation common stock.

The transaction is expected to close by the end of 2016

What does this mean for Universal theme park? It means that Universal Creative has full and direct access to such films as Shrek, Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda and How to Train Your Dragon. No specific theme park has ever had exclusive rights to DreamWorks films, which is why there are several attractions at various theme parks based on DreamWorks films, including Europe, Dubai and of course, Orlando.
Yep and Katzenburg is out as CEO will remain as a consultant but seems to be a free man.

So I was just thinking...

Disney buys Star Wars for $4.05 billion...Universal buys DreamWorks Animation for $3.8 billion. This seems kind of off to me. Is Star Wars (overall) really only worth $205 million dollars more than DreamWorks Animation? I mean, don't get me wrong, $205 million isn't really walking around money, but I don't know. Kind of puts things into perspective I guess.

Disney buys Star Wars for $4.05 billion...Universal buys DreamWorks Animation for $3.8 billion. This seems kind of off to me. Is Star Wars (overall) really only worth $205 million dollars more than DreamWorks Animation? I mean, don't get me wrong, $205 million isn't really walking around money, but I don't know. Kind of puts things into perspective I guess.
I believe the actual worth of dreamworks was something like 2.65 billion so that extra 1.2 billion may not have been worth it but we will see. If anything Comcast paid a bit too much for it. With Comcasts added content they are only going to go at Disney more. I've heard that there are a few execs within that company that really want to go at the mouse.

I believe the actual worth of dreamworks was something like 2.65 billion so that extra 1.2 billion may not have been worth it but we will see. If anything Comcast paid a bit too much for it. With Comcasts added content they are only going to go at Disney more. I've heard that there are a few execs within that company that really want to go at the mouse.

Yeah, I was also thinking Comcast paid a little on the high side as well. Time will tell, that's for sure.

And it wasn't just Star Wars it was all of LucasFilm and included with that was Industrial Light & Magic, Skywalker Sound and video game company LucasArts.

Well, Lucas Films had properties that had not been on the market for quite a long time, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Considering that Pixar was worth 7.4 billion, I suppose 3.8 wasn't that bad for DW. And Comcast probably even overpaid, anyway.

This was just posted by black562 at http://www.disboards.com/threads/2016-free-dining-watch-and-more-part-3.3505756/page-6#post-55652947

"I was just given a heads up. Fall Room Discount PIN Codes are now rolling.

Up to 30% off - For stays 8/26-11/11 and 11/26-12/23.

You may have a PIN and not even realize it, so always ask whenever you call, they can tell if there's a code attached to your name."
Stupid question, but is seems like these pin codes offers are the same as those offered to the general public. What's the point?

Stupid question, but is seems like these pin codes offers are the same as those offered to the general public. What's the point?

They currently only have a room discount through 11/5, so these dates are different and that is helpful for people trying to plan. I do think pin codes used to be better than general public offers though, from what I've read.

IMHO the DreamWorks deal is a bad deal.
I saw someone last night post that they hope Comcast wouldn't ruin DreamWorks.
Fact of the matter is, DreamWorks already ruined DreamWorks.

There is not a lot of value there. Maybe the recent acquisitions that DW made, but that's about it.
That is true but with an ownership partner of Comcast I think dreamworks will only go up not down.

The fact is Iger got Lucasfilm for a bargain. There may have been some hesitancy due to the fact that the Star Wars (movie) franchise was dormant, but the merchandise sales were extremely strong none-the-less. And once they released their first movie - an absolute bargain.

I don't think this is a great price for Dreamworks. They haven't had a new successful franchise in quite a long time. Madagascar, Shrek are out of gas. The last HTTYD didn't do all that well even though they are making a third one, as the third Kung Fu Panda also saw a significant drop off from #2, though I'm surprised they haven't scheduled another one. A few new things coming up, but no real word on any of them yet ("Trolls" is next up in November - about troll dolls....ummmmm.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter