• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

News Round Up 2016

Interesting.

Hard to gauge how Disney feels it went without knowing what their expectations were. However, if I had to speculate...assuming the guesstimates of 1,000 guests are accurate, Disney probably viewed it as a failure and were disappointed. For the guests who made the steep splurge, it was likely a great experience. If they continue to only get around 1,000 people for these, I can actually see them reducing the price (just a little bit) to boost the attandance and offsetting that by likely closing some of the attractions (such as Swiss Family Treehouse, Tomorrowland Speedway, the Carousel, etc.). As one of the twitter comments they referenced in the article...even literally walking on everything, you can't get to every attraction in 3 hours.

Who knows if 1,000 is accurate, but if that was the number I don't see how this works for Disney, $149,000 in revenue isn't that great when you have to pay all those staff to say for an extra 3 hours. Unless those thousand people spent a fortune on the stores then it's a poor return at best. And I suspect the ease of getting on rides would reduce eating and buying significantly.

Falkor the Luck Dragon in Neverending Story was hairy so it's not completely unheard of.
I have never heard of that story before. Falkor definitely looks like an elongated dog - interestingly he looks more like an eastern dragon than a western one with the lack of wings.

The dragon in Spirited Away (though it is technically a river spirit who turns into a dragon, so I'm not sure how that counts into the mythology) has fur as well. He is also in the eastern style. I'm not seeing any furred western dragons out there.

It looks like the concept of a fully furred dragon is a relatively new concept, and the idea of a ~new mythological creature seems like too much of a paradox to fully comprehend right now

Who knows if 1,000 is accurate, but if that was the number I don't see how this works for Disney, $149,000 in revenue isn't that great when you have to pay all those staff to say for an extra 3 hours. Unless those thousand people spent a fortune on the stores then it's a poor return at best. And I suspect the ease of getting on rides would reduce eating and buying significantly.
Considering I saw posts where CMs were riding the attractions with guests I don't think they made a great return on this.

I absolutely love the original Pete's Dragon movie....especially the music, which I'm guessing they will not incorporate into this new version. I feel like this new Elliot looks more like a hairy dinosaur then a dragon :scratchin

Everything released so far makes this seem like it will be a very different movie from the original, including the fact that there is no music

I absolutely love the original Pete's Dragon movie....especially the music, which I'm guessing they will not incorporate into this new version. I feel like this new Elliot looks more like a hairy dinosaur then a dragon :scratchin

I loved the original, too! What happened to his "head of a camel, the neck of a crocodile, and the ears of a cow!? It will be interesting to read the reviews, but I'm not sure I will love this one as much.

I'm interested to see how (if) they justify the fur. Western dragons are traditionally reptilian in nature, and even eastern dragons, which are often depicted with beards or manes, still have fish-like scales on their torsos. They are essentially trying to create a new creature for this film for the sake of photorealism
Elliot was a sweet big green loveable dragon that's why everyone loved him. The movie itself didn't do well at the boxoffice but became a favorite after it was released on vhs and showed on TV. This movie is nothing like the original and to me it's more like finding a young tarzan type child in the forest. I doubt I will go see it because I don't want to spoil my memories of the original. I wish disney would stop remaking classics and live actioning animated favorites. It's a shame that Iger okays all these movies for the disney brand and the only "new" things we get are from marvel or lucasfilms.

Elliot was a sweet big green loveable dragon that's why everyone loved him. The movie itself didn't do well at the boxoffice but became a favorite after it was released on vhs and showed on TV. This movie is nothing like the original and to me it's more like finding a young tarzan type child in the forest. I doubt I will go see it because I don't want to spoil my memories of the original. I wish disney would stop remaking classics and live actioning animated favorites. It's a shame that Iger okays all these movies for the disney brand and the only "new" things we get are from marvel or lucasfilms.
Zootopia was new and did really well. So far most of these remakes have done well that's why they keep doing them.

News

First look at Elliot from Pete's Dragon

http://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/2016/04/15/ew-debuts-new-look-elliot-petes-dragon/

I am interested in this movie but that looks like an oversized dog with wings.

Bummer. Very worried they are going to mess this up. They even had instructions.

Lyrics from "Pete's Dragon"
Composed by Al Kasha and Joel Hirschhorn

He has the head of a camel
The neck of a crocodile
It sounds rather strange
He's both a fish and a mammal

And I hope he'll never change

'Cause it's not easy
To find someone who cares
It's not easy
To find magic in pairs
I'm glad I found him
I love him
I won't let him get away
'Cause it's not easy

You say the head of a camel
The neck of a crocodile
And the ears of a cow!
It's clear that friends can be different
Yes and I understand you now

It's not easy
To find someone who cares
It's not easy
To find magic in pairs
Now that you have him
Hold him, treasure him from day to day
It's so easy

Life is lollipops and raindrops
With the one you love
Someone you can always be with
Argue and agree with
Climb the highest tree with

It's not easy
To share somebody's dream
It gets easy
When you work as a team
You've got to tend it, fan it

That's what I plan to do
Oh, I had one friend by my side
Now I have two
Him and you
Him and me
And it's so easy

Zootopia was new and did really well. So far most of these remakes have done well that's why they keep doing them.

They're also not really remakes. Reimaginings? Reinterpretations?

They the same rough starting point and similar (though not always identical) characters but they don't tell they exact same story.

Neither Pete's Dragon or Jungle Book are appealing to me based on the trailers, but they will have zero impact on my enjoyment of the original movies.

They're also not really remakes. Reimaginings? Reinterpretations?

They the same rough starting point and similar (though not always identical) characters but they don't tell they exact same story.

Neither Pete's Dragon or Jungle Book are appealing to me based on the trailers, but they will have zero impact on my enjoyment of the original movies.
See I really liked Jungle book based on the trailer but the petes dragon trailer didn't appeal to me much even though I like the animated version. I thought Cinderella was well done and so was Maleficent. I think it's just that Disney is doing so many of them so close to each other that people are like really another one?

Someone mentioned that Disney is re-making these movies to secure copyrights. I am not familiar enough with copyright laws and film to determine if that is plausible, however it seemed a reasonable explanation. The studio does appear to be investing heavily. The CGI in Jungle Book isn't cheap stuff.

Someone mentioned that Disney is re-making these movies to secure copyrights. I am not familiar enough with copyright laws and film to determine if that is plausible, however it seemed a reasonable explanation. The studio does appear to be investing heavily. The CGI in Jungle Book isn't cheap stuff.

It's not. That's not how copyright works in the US.

They're doing them because they have been making money.

See I really liked Jungle book based on the trailer but the petes dragon trailer didn't appeal to me much even though I like the animated version. I thought Cinderella was well done and so was Maleficent. I think it's just that Disney is doing so many of them so close to each other that people are like really another one?

Jungle Book just seemed like a very bland action movie (purely from the trailer) and I'm not really that big on "realistic" takes on fantasy concepts, just a personal preference. I also happen to be rather fond of the original story (not the movie, the Kipling story) so I don't think it's going to be my thing.

Pete's Dragon... I'm not sure what to make of the trailer really. It certainly seems like it will be very different story.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter