Marching Ahead! March 2024 Exercise Thread

Note: I decided to move Sunday's stuff to this post so I can track my week.

Sunday: 2 miles, 30 minutes;
Monday - Was dark when I got home from work, no walk;
Tuesday - 2-1/2 miles in 35 minutes;
Wednesday - 2 miles in 28 minutes.
Thursday-Friday - No walking because of rain
Saturday - 3-1/4 miles in 45 minutes with intermittent running (run 30 seconds, walk a 2-3 minutes).
Weekly total: 9-3/4 miles, 138 minutes
Month to date: 12-3/4 miles, 188 minutes (so 188/600)

Last edited:
Adding 30 minutes of GrowwithJo and yoga since my last update!

Congrats to ShannyMcB for reaching Overture Orange! And PollyannaMom too! With our recent minutes, the TEAM has also moved up!

I dug up some more fun facts about the Disneyland Band!

• The original band did not use any sheet music, playing entirely off of ear and memory.
  • In its earliest incarnations there was not even an official payroll!
  • In the earliest years of Disneyland, before music was easily piped into outdoor areas like Main Street, the Band learned the acoustical tricks of the park. Playing from certain angles down Main Street, the band would echo throughout the street and into the Hub.1710215228646.png

Round 1: 30 minutes. About 8 inches already.

660/1200

Today I mowed the yard instead of going for a walk. But I did walk becuase I have a push mower. I also weed eated and blew off the concrete. Probably a better workout than walking the neighborhood. Although I didn't walk a long distance (only 7/10 of a mile), I did count the minutes toward exercise. I will update my weekly total this weekend.

We don’t mow until May at the earliest! :P

This was my 2nd time this year already. First one was 3 weeks ago. The last time was the first time I'd mowed since fall 2020. I had some health issues pop up in February 2021 where I was put on restrictions (no lifting, pushing, pulling). So I couldn't mow or hardly do anything. Over the next year we started using a handy man (he'd charge $40 to mow since we went to church together, and a job that would take me 2-1/2 to 3 hours to mow with a push mower, he'd knock out in 30 minutes on his riding mower). We just kept him until this past fall. Over the winter, we talked about it and decided to just save that $40 every 2 weeks instead of putting it to yard work.

Round 1: 30 minutes. About 8 inches already.

660/1200

We don’t mow until May at the earliest! :P

Sorry it took me until tonight to update! All week, I've been struggling to get to bed before 1AM, which is not ideal. My time management has been poor. But I had enough minutes from the week to bring me to Percussion Purple. sophy1996 is also moving up.
The Disneyland band eventually settled on 18 members, many of whom played on opening day. The Band added new tunes to the repertoire, picking up some of their most iconic marches: The Mickey Mouse March, Once Upon a Dream, and the lyrical When You Wish Upon a Star. The band played more than 1,000 concerts a year, most of which within Disneyland.
1710650505563.png

After 58 years, the band was reimagined. In a bold move, members of the band were made to re-audition if they wanted to remain in the group. The first iteration of the Disneyland Band played their last set the day before the 60th Anniversary celebrations began. The next day, only two of the original members returned to work with the group.

I mowed Wednesday night because we had some bad rains coming, so I didn't get to walk. It rained all day Thursday, Friday and Saturday. So I didn't get to walk. But I made up for it today with my longest distance and highest time ever. But I'll save that for next Sunday night's update. Here's this week...

Sunday, 34 minutes, 2.82 miles;
Monday, 0 minutes, 0 miles (got home from work after dark);
Tuesday, 32 minutes, 2.14 miles;
Wednesday, 25 minutes, 0.70 miles (I mowed, edged and cleaned off the sidewalk in advance of the rain);
Thursday-Saturday, 0 minutes, 0 miles (we walked around a sporting goods store Thursday, around Walmart grocery shopping Friday and around a couple of stores Saturday. Altogether, it was like 100-110 minutes, but I didn't count any of that as it was slower paced);
Weekly Total: 5.6 miles, 91 minutes;
Monthly Total: 18.35 miles, 279 minutes (so 279/600)

Last edited:
I am back. Last week was not the best week. I had surgery on the 8th and then I made myself walk starting on the 10th. It was slow paced and not as long as I usually do but the doctors wanted me to keep moving. I am going to try and work my time up again. I tried last week and then Thursday was a really rough day.

March 5 -- 30
March 6 -- 20
March 7 -- 40
March 8 -- 0
March 9 -- 0
March 10 -- 5
March 11 -- 10
March 12 -- 15
March 13 -- 20
March 14 -- 10
March 15 -- 10
March 16 -- 10
March 17 -- 0

Total 260/465

I have 65 minutes to add since my last update. Unfortunately, Friday and Saturday night weren't much better for me getting to bed on time or getting much rest, but most of that wasn't the fault of my bad time management. 👼455/700

piglet1979 has reached Percussion Purple and so has the team!
After the dissolution of the original Disneyland Band, some of the members joined other smaller groups around the park, like the Pearly Band.
1710823476323.png
They get their name from the flashy mother of pearl buttons that adorn their outfits. They perform around Fantasyland in the afternoon and are sometimes accompanied by Mary Poppins and Bert.

I'll move on to talk about the band in WDW next, but I thought I'd leave you with a very thorough article outlining the rich history of the Disneyland Band for you all to peruse at your leisure.

Every have one of those days where you just don't feel like walking? That was today for me. Played basketball at lunch for about 20 minutes then went to DFW Airport after work to watch AF1 (El Presidente) arrive. That was pretty cool as I had never seen that plane before. But it got me home really late, so it was either cook/eat dinner or walk. I chose dinner. Was really wanting to go 4 miles today since it's supposed to rain tomorrow and I took it easy yesterday.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter