Marathon Weekend 2025

As I’ve gotten older some roller coasters start to make me a little more nauseous than they used to.
I road Velocicoaster a couple years ago, and although it didn’t make me nauseous, it caused intense pain/pressure in my head that I will probably never ride it again.
That is EXACTLY my concern, so thank you for this! I don’t get nauseous from any coasters and negative Gs are my favorite thing ever, but high speed/high G-force tends to make my head unhappy. I’ll probably try it at some point, but right now, while allergies are creating enough sinus pressure already, seems a bad time for it lol!

:offtopic: But since we’ve been discussing rides… I’m heading back to Universal for the first time in many years and wondering about Velocicoaster. Am I too old for this now?! I’m still good on RnR, but Hulk was pretty awful years ago, and for those familiar with Bush Gardens, it turns out Kumba is nowhere near as fun now as it was when I was 20 :rotfl:: I’m good with drops and inversions, but bad with rough rides. I’m assuming with its newness, Veloci must surely be pretty smooth, though, no??

Velocicoaster is the best roller coaster at any major park right now. It’s nothing like the Hulk, which I think they made way worse after the redo. I get off the Hulk feeling like I have a hangover. The ride is very smooth, but be prepared for lots of inversions and a corkscrew at the end. They opened an express pass line for the ride too, so if you’re staying at a deluxe hotel on property or have a qualifying AP, you can get on pretty quickly.

:offtopic: But since we’ve been discussing rides… I’m heading back to Universal for the first time in many years and wondering about Velocicoaster. Am I too old for this now?! I’m still good on RnR, but Hulk was pretty awful years ago, and for those familiar with Bush Gardens, it turns out Kumba is nowhere near as fun now as it was when I was 20 :rotfl:: I’m good with drops and inversions, but bad with rough rides. I’m assuming with its newness, Veloci must surely be pretty smooth, though, no??

There is only one way to know. I went to Cedar Point for the first time in almost a decade last year and hit all the roller coasters. I feel it more than I used to but so far non are too bad to keep riding.

Besides the full-marathon, how would you guys compare the HM for this weekend compared to W&D? Is the energy and buzz just more overall (and crowds, too I assume) based on the excitement for the full-marathon? Never done a marathon weekend, but W&D is enjoyable.

Worth it to do both HM's? I'm already registered for W&D.

I mean, the answer to doing both will always be yes here :)

They are different and if you are doing the HM there are pros and cons to both. W&D is my favorite weekend but it was a much better experience, imo, when it was a night race that finished at the party. A race in the morning and party in the evening isn't as fun. I love F&W and think the evening party is a lot of fun which helps. I also like that the HM is more of a focus at W&D because it is the longer race.

MW, as a weekend in general, feels more like a weekend for the runners. It is everywhere and is similar to the feeling you get when you are in a medium sized city during their race weekend. The HM is not a focus and even on race morning it feels more like race 1 of Goofy or 3 of Dopey. That isn't necessarily bad, and even the marathon feels like the last race in those series more than the focus, but it is something to keep in mind. Epcot on Sunday of MW is a lot of fun and while people like to get their castle pics with the medals I personally love just being in that park all day.

Last edited:
how would you guys compare the HM for this weekend compared to W&D? Is the energy and buzz just more overall (and crowds, too I assume) based on the excitement for the full-marathon?

Let me preface my comments by saying that 1) I started running because I found out that I could run down Main Street and run through the castle and 2) Marathon Weekend was my first half and favorite race weekend, my one W&D was my least favorite. So with that aside, here we go...

IMHO, there is nothing as special as making that right hand turn onto Main Street. When you first see the castle and the crowds lining the street - it's indescribable. Main Street is the one place on Disney courses (besides the finish line) where you are overwhelmed by the spectators. It is something truly magical.

As far as the vibe for the weekend, yeah, it's different. The Expo is a little more crowded. With the longer distances, people are a little more serious, a little more cautious to follow a certain routine. You will see less runners going park open to park close. But there is also a lot more camaraderie because everyone is trying to achieve the same audacious goal and that is a pretty special feeling as it brings people together. For me, Marathon Weekend is always running/visiting with friends with a side of vacation rather than vacation with a side of running.

IMHO, there is nothing as special as making that right hand turn onto Main Street. When you first see the castle and the crowds lining the street - it's indescribable. Main Street is the one place on Disney courses (besides the finish line) where you are overwhelmed by the spectators. It is something truly magical.
100% this!! It's the reason I signed up for my first half (and the reason I started running for the first time, in 2019!) and the reason I've kept coming back for more.

100% this!! It's the reason I signed up for my first half (and the reason I started running for the first time, in 2019!) and the reason I've kept coming back for more.

The 2019 MW was my first half/runDisney race weekend. Going in, I kept saying "one and done" and we all know how that works out.

I know that @DisneyGamer11 asked specifically about the half marathons so that's the question that I tried to answer. But I did want to mention that, for me, the crowd support on Main Street for the marathon was next level. For a whole bunch of reasons, I was stressed when I got to the Magic Kingdom and, looking back, I sooo wish that I have taken more time to soak it all in. The cheers were even louder and more supportive than the previous day. So if anyone is considering doing the marathon, that is something to factor in.

I’m late to the party answering but figured I’d throw in my 2 cents anyway. Huge difference between Hulk and Velocicoaster starts with the seats. Velocicoaster is a lap restraint only whereas Hulk has the shoulder pull down. I have more head issues on shoulder restraint rides because of the tendency for my head to bounce back and fourth and the tension I put in my neck to try to avoid that bouncing.

Velocicoaster is as smooth as Guardians, which in my book means I can’t imagine a ride of their size and type being smoother. I will say, I have never felt so completely indebted to a ride restraint in my life as I do on Velocicoaster. There are several moments in the ride where I feel as though I am free floating before the restraint helps to bring me back down to the seat. It is definitely a level above, for sheer thrill value, anything at Disney. Although I would personally still go on Guardians over it if I only had one ride and had to choose between the two.

Let me preface my comments by saying that 1) I started running because I found out that I could run down Main Street and run through the castle and 2) Marathon Weekend was my first half and favorite race weekend, my one W&D was my least favorite. So with that aside, here we go...

As far as the vibe for the weekend, yeah, it's different. The Expo is a little more crowded. With the longer distances, people are a little more serious, a little more cautious to follow a certain routine. You will see less runners going park open to park close. But there is also a lot more camaraderie because everyone is trying to achieve the same audacious goal and that is a pretty special feeling as it brings people together. For me, Marathon Weekend is always running/visiting with friends with a side of vacation rather than vacation with a side of running.
Ditto for getting into running more than 10K after finding out there were races through the parks, and that being my first half.
Double dittos for going down Main Street USA.

I have never done PW or W&D, so I can’t speak to those weekends but having done SS the past two years and many MW’s I totally agree that the vibe is strikingly different btwn the weekends.

MW just feels like runners have taken over Disney World. Whether sitting down to a meal, in line for a ride or just walking thru the resorts you just see runners. It just always feels like I am with my people. It feels very community focused.

SS, even though I love the races and race time atmosphere, feels like a small event almost swallowed by the rest of Disney World. Running gear, race shirts, medals, etc are just fewer and farther between.

I do need to try PW and W&D at some point, but MW will always be my favorite.

I’ve been looking at getting my room booked. I’m leaning on All Star Music suites since 3 Q, 2 Bath and the price is great.
But the new cabins at Fort Wilderness are available to book for non DVC.
So, I’m curious, has anyone stayed at Fort Wilderness during MW?
I’ll have my DH, DS (16) and DD (13) in tow. Trying to think of options for them to stay entertained without going into a park. Not sure how many days I want to visit parks if I’m going for Dopey.
I’ve tried to look for info, but thought there might be some veterans here that has stayed there before.

I have no experience staying in a cabin so can’t advise you on the functionality of it for your family. All I know is that the queen bed and bunk beds are in the bedroom and the pullout couch is in the living room. We have a camper.

There’s way more to do at the Fort than All Stars if park time is limited and you’ll be at the resort a lot. There are two pools and hot tubs. The main pool has a slide and there’s also a pool table, ping pong table, lawn games, shuffleboard and an arcade. You can rent bikes if you don’t bring your own, rent a kayak or canoe, mine for gems, learn archery, go fishing, take a trail ride on horses, basketball courts, playground, visit their gorgeous horse barn, go to the evening campfire and singalong, evening movie under the stars, Hoop Dee Doo Revue dinner show, craft sessions during the day (tie dye shirts, candles, etc), MK fireworks from the beach, electrical water pageant or just enjoy doing nothing with some quiet time on your patio. There is boat service to the Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge in the afternoon otherwise you can just take the boat to MK if you want to visit the monorail resorts. There’s also a bus that runs back and forth from the Fort to Wilderness Lodge.

Factor a golf cart into your stay. Not sure if you will have a vehicle, but the Fort is not car friendly. There is no parking at the marina (where boat takes you to MK) or pool. Walking and biking is so nice to do there, but sometimes you just want to get to where you are going 🤣 There are internal shuttles to get you around the fort, but I have no patience for that. The fort is huge. I have run 10 Miles in there without repeating any area!!! It’s also fun to just drive around and check out how the guests have decorated their cabins and campsites.

The race bus picks up at the front of the campground where the check-in building is. I usually drive my car to the races. If I don’t drive I usually take the golf cart to the front and park it in the golf cart lot, but that leaves the rest of the family without the cart. The internal bus will be running too to get runners to the front of the Fort or you could have someone drop you off.

There are a lot of great FB groups for Fort Wilderness. There’s one that arranges scavenger hunts which your kids might like!

If you want to get real adventurous, there are companies recommended in those FB groups that rent campers. You just need to reserve your campsite. They will bring the camper and set everything up for you. Some even include golf cart or bikes with your rental. Our camper only has one bedroom since it’s my husband and me, but there are many that have two bedrooms and two bathrooms 👍

I have no issues. It’s my favorite coaster ride right now. It’s pretty smooth, but it’s a bit freaky inverting with just a lap bar holding you in.

@Bree
Thanks so much for your input! 😁
Sounds like there is lots to do at the Fort. The golf cart is not a must have for us since we will drive down but we would definitely enjoy it. Especially since my DS will be able to officially drive by himself by MW. 🤪
I think the cabin would work for us, we stayed in something similar at Pirateland in Myrtle Beach. Plus I like that it has a full kitchen.
I don’t think I could ever get my DH in a camper. My family had a pop up and he came on trips with us while we were dating. It was not his cup of tea. 😂

@Bree
Sounds like there is lots to do at the Fort. The golf cart is not a must have for us since we will drive down but we would definitely enjoy it. Especially since my DS will be able to officially drive by himself by MW. 🤪
I think the cabin would work for us, we stayed in something similar at Pirateland in Myrtle Beach. Plus I like that it has a full kitchen.
I don’t think I could ever get my DH in a camper. My family had a pop up and he came on trips with us while we were dating. It was not his cup of tea. 😂
We stayed in the old cabins, albeit not for race weekend, and had a really nice time. We didn't have a Golf Cart, and parked our rental car at the cabin. We took an internal bus a few times, and a GC would've been fun, but it wasn't necessary. That said, it's part of having the full Fort Wilderness experience, so if I had it to do over again I probably would!

@Bree
I grew up tent camping as a kid. My husband and I took the kids tent camping once and I refused to go ever again 😂

We have a “glamper”. It’s very bougie complete with a fireplace, residential kitchen, nearly full sized bathroom with his and hers sinks and my couch reclines, has heated seats and massages. We have a spot for a very tiny washer and dryer, but haven’t purchased them yet. Only other thing I’m lacking is a dishwasher. This is the only way I’d agree to purchase something like this. I like the outdoors, but when I’m inside I want the comforts of my house!

We stayed in the old cabins, albeit not for race weekend, and had a really nice time. We didn't have a Golf Cart, and parked our rental car at the cabin. We took an internal bus a few times, and a GC would've been fun, but it wasn't necessary. That said, it's part of having the full Fort Wilderness experience, so if I had it to do over again I probably would!
Thanks!

I grew up tent camping as a kid. My husband and I took the kids tent camping once and I refused to go ever again 😂

We have a “glamper”. It’s very bougie complete with a fireplace, residential kitchen, nearly full sized bathroom with his and hers sinks and my couch reclines, has heated seats and massages. We have a spot for a very tiny washer and dryer, but haven’t purchased them yet. Only other thing I’m lacking is a dishwasher. This is the only way I’d agree to purchase something like this. I like the outdoors, but when I’m inside I want the comforts of my house!
Sounds like my kinda camping! I would definitely do a “glamper” if we ever became campers. I’m not a roughing it kind of girl. I did enough tent camping when I was in Girl Scouts.

Happy Easter RunDisney All-Stars! The final weekend of March Magical Madness is upon us! Before we get down to our business, I have to give a shout out to my NC State Wolfpack whose glass slipper continues to fit and the clock has yet to strike midnight on their dance. Now, down to the business at hand.

The Skyliner bracket wrapped up with the Guardians of the Galaxy banishing Rise of the Resistance to a galaxy far, far away in a blow out. The combination of a variable robust, engaging soundtrack along with their opponent's tendency to lose key elements to injury combined to give Rocket and crew the win.

The Kingdom bracket was a much tighter affair, with the spooks from the Haunted Mansion having just enough staying power to best the wildlife from Kilimanjaro Safaris. It was impossible to tell which would take the match up, as the lead changed hands a number of times before the Mansion pulled ahead just enough at the very end.

Guardians of the Galaxy 34
Rise of the Resistance 19

Haunted Mansion 28
Kilimanjaro Safaris 25

Who will win this clash of the titans? The new kids on the block or the old favorite? Your votes will tell the story in this final SAFD of March Magical Madness!

1711890956282.png

SAFD: Thanks for putting this together @camaker !

This is my easiest choice of the game. Haunted Mansion is my favorite MK attraction and depending which day of the week you ask me, I could answer it’s my favorite attraction in all the parks. (This is where I’m happy TOT is not a finalist)

Haunted Mansion will always get my vote!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter