Marathon Weekend 2017!

So, in preparation for my final meeting with my PT and a trainer tomorrow (before I leave for Florida), I'm pulling all relevant Marathon-training plans to help devise what I plan to do to prepare for Dopey. (Did I mention I'm running Dopey again in 2017? Yup! I'm doing Dopey again!).

I happened to look at the second-tier Galloway plan for the Marathon. AND *** - a 29-miler in Week 24? No.

Has anyone done this?? That just seems ... ridiculous.

I mean I guess I shouldn't question Galloway but I can't really see what the benefit of that would be. Seems like overkill to me.

Ok, time to ask a less pretty question since we are all friends here! My stomach got quite upset during a training run today. Luckily I was on my treadmill at home. What tricks do veteran runners have to avoid this on race day? We are already planning on eating food we are familiar with for dinner the night before, but are terrified of tummy issues race day.

Ok, time to ask a less pretty question since we are all friends here! My stomach got quite upset during a training run today. Luckily I was on my treadmill at home. What tricks do veteran runners have to avoid this on race day? We are already planning on eating food we are familiar with for dinner the night before, but are terrified of tummy issues race day.

Imodium can be your friend if it's a concern but keeping your meal routine normal will help.

Get up early and drink coffee in hopes of "taking care of business" before the run starts. :eek:

And pay attention to what you ate the night before and try to see if you can identify any patterns/foods to avoid if it happens again!

Last edited:
Happy Sunday, runDisney all-stars!

12 weeks to go until the marathon! I hope your training is going well.

Today's Sundays are for Disney question: What are the most underrated experiences at WDW?

3. Mama Melrose's - I just thought the food was really, really solid and it has a nice, understated theme.

2. Philharmagic - It doesn't get the top tier, "must see" label of the mountains, pirates or ToT, but this attraction really captures the essence of Disney for me. Characters, music, special and practical effects and it's enjoyable for guests of all ages.

1. The cast members. I'm sure everyone has at least a few stories of a cast member going above and beyond to improve their trip in some way - big or small. In all the talk about cost, crowds, etc., I feel like that's something that often gets lost in the shuffle when discussing WDW. They do customer service better than just about anyone.

Today's Sundays are for Disney question: What are the most underrated experiences at WDW?

For me it's:
1. Crews Cup Lounge in the Yacht Club,
2. Tomorrowland Transit Authority People Mover, and
3. Astro Orbiter.

I love the views of the MK you get with 2 and 3!

3. Mama Melrose's - I just thought the food was really, really solid and it has a nice, understated theme.

2. Philharmagic - It doesn't get the top tier, "must see" label of the mountains, pirates or ToT, but this attraction really captures the essence of Disney for me. Characters, music, special and practical effects and it's enjoyable for guests of all ages.

1. The cast members. I'm sure everyone has at least a few stories of a cast member going above and beyond to improve their trip in some way - big or small. In all the talk about cost, crowds, etc., I feel like that's something that often gets lost in the shuffle when discussing WDW. They do customer service better than just about anyone.
Well you might not get to see Mama Melrose much longer. According to what I've seen/heard that will be rethemed to more muppets for the muppets courtyard area.

My underrated attractions are...

1. Dumbo, not many people like to do this ride but it's a Disneyland original and is simple and fun.

2. It's tough to be a bug, must do for me at AK

3. Three Caballeros at the Mexico pavilion, it's even better now that they've added the animatronics.

4. MuppetVision 3D, it's the last piece Jim Henson worked on.

Well you might not get to see Mama Melrose much longer. According to what I've seen/heard that will be rethemed to more muppets for the muppets courtyard area.

My underrated attractions are...

1. Dumbo, not many people like to do this ride but it's a Disneyland original and is simple and fun.

2. It's tough to be a bug, must do for me at AK

3. Three Caballeros at the Mexico pavilion, it's even better now that they've added the animatronics.

4. MuppetVision 3D, it's the last piece Jim Henson worked on.

Solid answers! I almost had MuppetVision on my list. The pre-show and queue are especially fantastic.

I hadn't heard about MM, but I'm pro-Muppets, so I'll save my outrage.

1- Not sure of its current status but One Man's Dream doesn't get enough attention. Lots of great history and exhibits there.

2 - walking treks at Animal Kingdom

That's a couple I can think of right away.

I've got a couple things that I seem to enjoy more than others

Breakfast at les Halles-I love getting to Epcot and heading straight back to grab a pastry and something to drink before the rest of World Showcase opens. There usually aren't a ton of long lines to wait in at Epcot so I don't mind not getting started on attractions straight away.

Boatwrights and Marrakesh-Two of my favorite dining experiences on the properties and I've never had difficulty getting a reservation. I'll second Mama Melrose as well, we had a great experience there last year and I didn't really find a lot of glowing reviews beforehand.

Indiana Jones-I don't know that it's underrated, but I don't see it mentioned much and I enjoy it.

I also love just walking around and taking it all in, no attractions required.

Well I feel like I am cheating because my first three have already been mentioned - Philliharmagic, One Man's Dream and The People Mover. Those are always must do's for me.

So I will add these three: The Hall of Presidents, The Country Bear Jamboree and simply walking Epcot World Showcase. For the later it is just about talking in the sights, sounds and tastes as the mood strikes us to make for a great afternoon. Adding to that watching my girls get the stamps from each of the countries on the Duffy cutout is a lot of fun to and a great free souvenir.

Well I feel like I am cheating because my first three have already been mentioned - Philliharmagic, One Man's Dream and The People Mover. Those are always must do's for me.

So I will add these three: The Hall of Presidents, The Country Bear Jamboree and simply walking Epcot World Showcase. For the later it is just about talking in the sights, sounds and tastes as the mood strikes us to make for a great afternoon. Adding to that watching my girls get the stamps from each of the countries on the Duffy cutout is a lot of fun to and a great free souvenir.
Oh man I totally forgot about Country Bears! It's a must do for me every trip. I love big Al!

I'm tardy to the party, but I agree with everyone who said Philharmagic and It's Tough to be a Bug. Very similar experiences I guess but they are definitely two of our favorites. And they never have a line so they must be underrated. A must-do for us.
Tangierine Cafe seems underrated to me because it is usually not crowded but the food is great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter