Magical Beginnings making VDH tempting…

JoshF

Mouseketeer
I live in CA and am looking to access DL without hoping and praying that I can get VGC at the 7 month mark. Today I spoke to my guide and he let me know about the Magical Beginnings promo. With the current add on incentives that brings the PP cost to $173.66 at 300 points at VDH. I’m a June UY so they would take the 23 points and I’d get fresh points at the end of this month. This is tempting…

Last edited:
I'd toss out the idea of 150 x2 contracts instead of 3x 100 so you can keep your blue card down the road without keeping more than you need for that in case you decide to branch out to other resorts or pass down a blue-card contract. (You can rewrite your contract until the 10 days is up or you've paid your last installment, YMMV.)

I'd toss out the idea of 150 x2 contracts instead of 3x 100 so you can keep your blue card down the road without keeping more than you need for that in case you decide to branch out to other resorts or pass down a blue-card contract. (You can rewrite your contract until the 10 days is up or you've paid your last installment, YMMV.)
If I was buying 300 points, I’d go 150/100/50– then you can be grandfathered in at 150 points and have the option of keeping 150/200/250/300 (with varying combinations) depending on how many you actually use.

Thanks for this, Post! I just called my guide and you are correct. If I separate these into three separate 100 point contracts and then gift them to my children they would not qualify for blue card benefits unless they purchased 50 points additional. This is assuming I give one contract to each of three children.

Now I have a decision to make. Do I keep the 100 point contracts which should fetch a little more on resale if I need to sell them or do I make them 150 point contracts which would be better to pass to my children.

Thanks for this, Post! I just called my guide and you are correct. If I separate these into three separate 100 point contracts and then gift them to my children they would not qualify for blue card benefits unless they purchased 50 points additional. This is assuming I give one contract to each of three children.

Now I have a decision to make. Do I keep the 100 point contracts which should fetch a little more on resale if I need to sell them or do I make them 150 point contracts which would be better to pass to my children.
What about 2 x 100 points and 2 x 50 points? That would give you flexibility both ways.

Going with the 150 each now provides your family two future blue card opportunities.

Maybe you get these two 150 pointers now and perhaps down the road another family favorite resort comes along leading you to double up with another 2x 150 and there's something for everyone. (I'm just over here spending other people's money!) Or once grown up kids, maybe not everyone is diehard Disney.

However it shakes out you're in a better position than just one 300 pt contract.

There’s $382 in closing costs per contract. So I don’t think the 50 pointers are something I’m interested in. Leaning towards 2 X 150. That would save me $382 over 3 X 100 and if I ever need to sell 150 isn’t a huge contract.

Thoughts or opinions?
I'd go with the 150 x2 all day then.

We bought VGF last summer and did one contract at 150 to have that core contract to take to the grave and then did the rest (small #) as a second contract. Great flexibility and minimal overhead for future proofing.

The purpose would be more for resale value than for actual fixed week usage. Given that the points would take a hit on the resale market when they become restricted having the additional value of a fixed week would likely add some downside protection.
Just to add onto this and clarify a bit for the OP - if you buy a fixed week, you can still cancel that week and use the points at some other time in your use year. Cast members basically book it for you ahead of time but you can cancel that without repercussion as long as you are over 31 days out. You don’t really lose much flexibility, but you gain guaranteed access to a potentially difficult to book week. You likely will also get a better price at resale if you do eventually decide to sell, especially since VDH is restricted and adding some certainty for a buyer is likely to add to the value.

Just to add onto this and clarify a bit for the OP - if you buy a fixed week, you can still cancel that week and use the points at some other time in your use year. Cast members basically book it for you ahead of time but you can cancel that without repercussion as long as you are over 31 days out. You don’t really lose much flexibility, but you gain guaranteed access to a potentially difficult to book week. You likely will also get a better price at resale if you do eventually decide to sell, especially since VDH is restricted and adding some certainty for a buyer is likely to add to the value.
100%. Especially at these resale restricted resorts like VDH, RIV and CFW. The buyer knows at the very least they will have a reservation during their fixed week. I regret not putting a fixed week on my first RIV contract but I made sure I did it on my next set of RIV contracts. There really is no downside because you can always cancel the fixed week and use the points like normal. Once Poly sales open I’m definitely going to do it again for the week that’s before my other fixed week contract.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter