Lesson learned. Don't waste a year of your Disney planning waiting for ROL!

While yes it is pushed to 2017 that could be anywhere from January 1st - December 31st. Notice they are not giving a season for debut yet.

Whew, this is such a huge build up for one Disney show. I'm honestly not sure how ROL is ever going to meet fans' expectations after this much anticipation! Even if it's really, really, really good... I'm fearful that the bar is now sky high.
I'd say not to plan your vacation around this one piece of entertainment. Even with new technology, could it possibly be a better show than Fantasmic (for example)?

This really isn't a thread about ROL. It's a lesson in not getting your hopes set on anything Disney has in the works...Don't count on it unless it's already up and running!

Also true, that!

I just read a couple of articles stating that ROL is officially pushed off until 2017. I was hoping to see it next week. Actually, I was hoping to see it in May and canceled our trip and rescheduled for December when it would supposedly be a sure thing... Gah!:crazy: This really isn't a thread about ROL. It's a lesson in not getting your hopes set on anything Disney has in the works...Don't count on it unless it's already up and running!
me too. I was supposed to see it in June and then December now maybe July? I have ADRs and planned around it and with a group my size, I cannot change ADRs.

What a great group!:grouphug:
I have my "Rumors of Light" pin packed and ready to wear on our AK day next week! I think that's as close as I'm going to get!!! :eek:

Agree - great group!

My son sleeps in his "Rumors of Light" t-shirt! It's his favorite pj top! I fear I will need to pack my ROL pins for my sister trip in April 2017!

Also agree it's tough to plan around Disney these days! Even with things that are up and running! There are events, etc., happening now that haven't been extended to April and our trip is only 4 months away. I get that some of the things are new, but it would be nice to get a sense of things... Plus, given our experiences last year, I expect changes to hours, EMH days, etc., when we get closer. It does add some true sport to Disney vacation planning!

That is very frustrating! You have to plan so far in advance (especially when traveling with a large group) and you try to make plans, weighing all the rumors of what is will be scheduled during your vacation.

Disney announced an open and at the very last minute cancelled the show. Their bad. Poor technical work, poor park management, poor public relations and def a failure of communication. Since then, they have not released any further information regarding a start date other than "2017".

Everything that has been blogged, tweeted, posted here ............ are all rumors. Some rumors are predictions/bets based on all kinds of things read and some are made up. Many come from websites for click value. You just can't plan around "talk" - you can barely plan around Disney announcements.

Disney announced an open and at the very last minute cancelled the show. Their bad. Poor technical work, poor park management, poor public relations and def a failure of communication. Since then, they have not released any further information regarding a start date other than "2017".

Everything that has been blogged, tweeted, posted here ............ are all rumors. Some rumors are predictions/bets based on all kinds of things read and some are made up. Many come from websites for click value. You just can't plan around "talk" - you can barely plan around Disney announcements.
If you haven't figured it out by now Disney PR such as the parks blog and things like that don't always communicate well with other aspects of Disney such as Park Ops or Imagineering. This was the problem here. They announced it, and it just simply wasn't ready. The NEW technology had bugs that weren't reliable, same thing happened with test track. Brand new technology, just couldn't get it to work properly as originally planned. I wouldn't necessarily blame this on AK management. This show has been handled by Imagineering and show directors/cast. AK park management shouldn't be blamed for this. Disney has and likely will continue to fail in the communication department so this shouldn't surprise you by any means. Every large company like Disney has issues and will always have issues. Nobody is perfect.

Even if they do end up doing soft openings when I get there, I've decided it's not worth pondering the maybe/maybe not. While it would have helped to have known about this prior to my FP bookings, the adjustment is only minor for me. We'll just be bailing out of DAK around 5pm and then head over to Disney Springs to check out the drone show instead (provided it's playing the night we plan to go.)

What week are you going? We'll be there starting 4/29.

Cute about your son.

I do hope they get the technical kinks worked out soon. I imagine it's not fun to be on that team right now.

Agree! We're just going to miss you! We're going 4/18-22! But to concur with the OP said, I'm finding it tough to plan anything for this trip, let alone ROL. The irony is that I did think that ROL would be solid by then - ha! Got my sister all excited for it! What's that saying? "Fool me once, shame on you, Fool me twice, shame on me!"

It's a sister trip, so there's a few different factors than usual - shorter trip (4nights), all adults, one of whom hasn't been in almost 20 years, Easter week... There are all of these new add-on events, some of which we might take advantage of, given our circumstances. But while I understand the reasons why Disney hasn't extended them to April yet, it's making it tough to make a plan. My sister's kids want to get her something special for the Disney trip for Christmas, say, the Sky Highway Dining Event, but who knows if it will be available?

So, with 4 nights, we're thinking 1 in AK (with or without ROL, want to enjoy AK at night), 1 MK and 2 Epcot, but within that plan, it's been tough (I'm the only Star Wars fan, so they're not interested in HS at night :oops:). If we did some type of add-on, it would impact other stuff. The Disney Domino Effect, so to speak. Anyway, it's not like this trip is a year away - it's only 4 months away!

So, that's my rambling answer to your straightforward question of when I'm going - ha! :crazy2:

I have done this twice, planned trips around rumors that never materialized. First Digon Alley and then ROL. Disney won out in the end for my pocket (as they always do) and we added the Wild Africa Trek instead. I do have high expectations and hope to not see a lot of canceled shows as they work out the kinks because that would really make me mad. When it's up it should stay up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter