Last Chance for a Summer Vacation Experience- August 2016 Weight Loss and Lifestyle Change Challenge

Phew... Weighted in again this morning and I'm actually down half a pound from last week, so yesterday was a false reading.

It cooled off enough over night that I as able to turn the airconditioner off... The quiet is delightful.

For next week I am going to try and skip Starbucks... That should help my waisteline and my wallet.

I have been in your shoes. A number of years ago I wasn't feeling well in school so on my break I went down to the nurses office for a couple of aspirin. She took my pulse and asked me how and where I wanted to go to have my heart checked out. Another nurse gave me the name of her cardiologist group and my son came and took me to a hospital (there are three that I had my choice of. I picked on that had a trauma center) I had my blood checked when I came in and then I just sat for over 7 hours until I got to a room and was looked at. It seems that there were several traumas that were more important. I then had to have a monitor on for 24 hours. When I met with the doctor about the monitor he asked me what happened about 11 pm. I was sleeping on the couch and my son came in at 11 and woke me up and startled me. We still laugh about that. I also had a nuclear stress test. They determined that I had a pvc (premature ventricular contraction). The second pulse that backs up the primary was trying to outrace the primary. They were able to control it with the same medication I can use for my blood pressure. If the first medication causes side effect, which mine did, ask for another. There are several that will work.

This is also when I got upset about my weight. I had lost about 30 pounds and I thought I would be able to get off my blood pressure medication and then this came up. I will never got off this medication because of it.

That funny about 11! I figure that's what they'll do when I go in. Monitor and see what's going on. Strangely enough, after all this people in my family are coming out of the woodwork telling me how they have murmurs or arythmia. Maybe it's hereditary-- and now I know I wasn't adopted ha!

I can definitely see how loosing the weight would get you excited to get off the meds. But it's so good that your pvc is controlled with a pill and wasn't cause for surgery. Thanks for sharing your story. Between that and the others I'm feeling better knowing lots of people are leading normal lives and it's not the huge deal that I had it worked out to be in my head.

Everything came back good as well, but waiting for the results always has me a little on edge. I always expect the worst.

Right?!? Same here! Glad to hear everything checked out good with you as well!

Weekly check in:

I was at 226 lbs at the beginning of the month after gaining 9 lbs on vacation. Because of that, I made my goal for August to lose 11 lbs. Last Sunday I was at 216.5 lbs. This week I'm at 214.5 lbs. I am 105% towards my original goal.

I'm going to try and see if I can get down to 210 lbs by the end of the month.

Heading out with my son to see Pete's Dragon. Going to try to stay away from the popcorn!

Hi all,

Well I took a first step this morning to getting back on track - I met my friends at 6am for a walk - walked for about 25 minutes. It was hard work and I nearly stayed in bed but after the alarm had gone off I was laying there feeling guilty about not getting up - so I got there a little later than the other girls -but I figured if all I did today was GET there and do even 1 lap it would be a start. OK off to work now - have a great day/night (I lose track of our time difference)!

I am at 50% today, I feel like it's slow going but atleast it's going I guess.

I was able to get many things checked off the list this weekend, my print was repaired and looks beautiful over our fireplace! We were able to find DH a new(used) car. It was at another dealership so they are bringing it up tomorrow or Tuesday. I got in my last long run before heading out to DL for Dumbo. We also did a 5 mile race Saturday night on the beach. Our car temp. said 99 when we were getting out so needless to say the race was a real struggle but we finished.

To catch up on the questions from Friday & Saturday

I don't drink hot coffee or tea but sweet tea is my weakness. I cut out soda and that is now my go to treat.

I am bad at preparing for events. I don't eat before I go. I am usually pretty good at sticking to water. I think I have myself trained to always go for water now instead of a drink with lots of sugar or calories.

I have been to MNSSHP many times. For 5 years we went on Halloween and then it got so crowded we started picking other dates. I absolutely love the parade!

Good Monday morning all! Hope you all had a great weekend! I drove to Massachusetts to take my Mom to brunch Saturday morning for her birthday. The rest of the weekend was errands, housework, and getting DS ready to move to college. He moves in next Sunday. I thought we got everything he needed yesterday while we were out, but we forgot to stop and buy a few posters and he definitely needs another pair of shorts.... so we will have to head out another evening this week.

I've been up since 3:50 a.m. for an early morning 24/7 chat shift and now I'm dressed to head out to one of my last summer maintenance work days! Just need to fill my water bottle and put my lunch into my bag and tie on my sneakers. Hoping to be there by 7:15 am.

I'll try to pop on tonight to answer the QOTD and catch up!.............P

Starting off the 2nd week of school. My school kids have been very good so far and my real kids have really liked their classes - so far so good! I've had a lot of co-workers coming up to me and asking about the weight loss and saying nice things. It's pretty strange. It's the attention that I always thought I wanted, but now that I'm getting it, it doesn't seem like that big of deal. Really hard to explain... hope it makes a little sense. I'm now down 107 lbs since January and I'm starting to crawl my way to the sub 200's. I can't wait to see my number start with a 1 - but this time I'm going to be more patient than I was trying to get to the 100 lbs mark... I hope!

I indulged a bit this weekend with my eating choices. On Saturday I had two burrito bowls at my friends party, but I only went with the healthy stuff - no sour cream, no cheese, and no guacamole (and I love guacamole). Yesterday I did a 6 mile run in the AM because the weather was beautiful (low 60's) and it was my first run over 3 miles in about 3 weeks. My times weren't as bad as I thought they would be. I didn't eat breakfast and I ended up having some popcorn at the movies without the butter. I also had some dessert after dinner which was a bowl of ice cream. I was worried what the scale would say this morning, but everything was good - even a little drop. I guess since I hadn't run in a week I cancelled out the treats with the 6 miles.

We have our first football game this Friday. The state rankings will also come out this week and I'm interested to see where we will land - not that it really matters. Last year we finished 2nd in the state and we bring a lot of players back this year, so it could be another good season.

Hope everyone has a great week!

Not a great weekend this weekend. I used the "oh I traveled" excuse to pretty much continue to not eat well when I came back in town and that carried all weekend long. I'm so glad it's Monday and a new day and a new week! I didn't even weigh myself this weekend because I don't want to know, so I'll stick with my 50% reporting. I'm so glad that the rest of this month should be smooth sailing for "temptations". I'm so ready to have some serious headway with the last 20 or so pounds that are holding on.

Good Friday everyone

Sorry this is late. We ended up mowing a lawn this morning the morning got away from me.

Since it is afternoon I thought we would talk about Afternoon Tea

At the Grand Floridian they have Afternoon Tea in the Garden Room.
I have done it twice.
Recently we also had my niece's bridal shower at a tea house and it was a lot of fun. We all wore hats.

View attachment 188619

The table and the food are beautiful. I have heard that they have changed the plates but I am sure that it will still be a wonderful experience.

View attachment 188618

The first time I went it was just my twin sister and I. She is on the left and I am on the right.

View attachment 188620

The last time we went we thought it was a girls trip but ds1's gf talked him into going along with his cousins and ds2's gf
View attachment 188621

niece2, dil, ds1, ds2's gf, niece1

Teas has many health benefits.

Here is a link to an article about some of them.

http://www.today.com/series/one-small-thing/top-10-health-benefits-drinking-tea-t81111

Are you a tea or coffee drinker?

Do you drink it all day long or just in the morning?

Have you ever been to a tea party.

Have a happy and healthy day.

I am neither. I am trying to drink tea though. I found one that I like. It is called sleigh ride. It is a sugar cookie flavor. It is only out at Christmas so i bought a ton from amazon before it went away. I do only drink it when it is cold. I don't understand drink hot stuff when it is hot out. Won't it just make you hotter? I only drink one cup in the morning and sometimes one at night.

Good Saturday Morning everyone

I thought we would talk about events this weekend.

Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party

My dh's birthday is Halloween. He has wanted to go to DW for his birthday for years and last year we went.

If you go to DW the last week in Oct. you will see then getting out all the pumpkins everywhere.
View attachment 188696

There is a lot of lights and overlays on buildings

View attachment 188697

But we were waiting for the Headless Horseman who leads the Halloween Parade

View attachment 188698

How prepared are you before you go to an event?
Do you take the advise to eat before you go?
Are you careful with your liquid intake?

Have you ever been to the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party?

Have a happy and healthy day

I do not watch what I eat at an event. They don;t happen often and I want to enjoy myself. I just watch what I eat the rest of the day.

I have not been the the Halloween party yet. We have wanted to go for years. 4 years ago we went to WDW the week of Labor day and they did not have the party that week. The following year they did so last year when we went over Labor day week again we were excited that we might be able to go. The park hours came out and 2 of they days they were closing the park at 7. We got so excited. Then they came out with the dates and that week was not included. We were bummed. I am pretty sure they have it that week this year. We won't get a chance to go to the Halloween party until the kids are out of school now. They are getting to old to take out of school. When the kids get older and do not believe in Santa anymore we will go over Christmas. I just can't have them wake up without gifts under the tree right now.

Today my daughter turns 9 so we had her party with the family this weekend. I ate horrible this weekend and I did not start today off great either. I had so much left over cake. I did bring it to work so my co-workers will eat it and not me. Well I had a piece for breakfast. I drank way too much pop and yesterday I only ate 2 doughnuts for breakfast and homemade potato salad the rest of the day. I forgot to charge my fitbit so I have no clue if I hit my steps or not. I had it charged for yesterday but only had 1500 steps by 6 yesterday afternoon. I did go for a walk and got up to 6,000-7,000 steps. I haven't been doing my squats either. I am really frustrated with myself right now. I need to get back on track. I did weigh myself on Thursday and I actually lost .4 pounds this month. Not bad with not getting my steps in this month. I though I would have gained. At least I have maintained. Back to getting my steps in this week.

Good Monday Morning everyone

It seems most people start a diet on Monday so I thought we could talk about food today.

What better way to start is to think about DW Food and Wine Festival

P1000475 (640x640).jpg

P1000469.JPG

This one event that I got to see on my last trip. I know a lot of people love it but dh and I are not wine drinkers and not adventurous eaters. For us we could take it or leave, but he did like the beers.

As we start another Monday morning, how has your diet changed in the last year?

How many new foods have you tried lately?

This one event that I got to see on my last trip. I know a lot of people love it but dh and I are not wine drinkers and not adventurous eaters. For us we could take it or leave, but he did like the beers.

My diet is a 180 degree opposite from what it used to be. I really didn't care what I ate before. If I was hungry (or if I wasn't hungry) and wanted it, I ate it. Now that I look at calories religiously I can see that the things I used to order usually were usually one of the two or three worst things on the menu. I also ate a lot of fast food before, where now my only drive through is Subway. I don't eat fried foods anymore. Now at a restaurant I pretty much order the most healthy thing on the menu, and while it might not be as good as the heavy butter and heavy cream things of the past, the new stuff is still pretty good and I still like it. It's a change I can live with.

Cooking at home has been totally different too. We use Blue Apron so everything is fresh and mostly healthy. I've learned how to cook healthier. Blue Apron has opened me up to trying a lot of different things, lots of greens with meals and lots of ingredients that we never used before (both my wife and I found out we really like meals with ginger). Gone are the days of just reheating chicken strips or processed meals that you just stick in the oven. My portions are much smaller now too.

My main hangup now is trying to incorporate little treats here and there and not feel totally guilty about having them. I'm learning that a small bowl of ice cream is ok once a week or splitting some popcorn at the movies won't be the end of the world. It's something that has been really tough for me, but now that I transition to more of a maintaining phase, it's getting better.

Late and just wanted to hop in and say hi! Camping this weekend was fun. I ate more than I should have but I'm back on track today. Think I'm getting DS's cold. Still planning on running tonight since I'm not feeling terrible yet.

This year, the way my diet has changed is higher protein, more veggies/fruits and smaller portions. I can't think of any new foods I've tried recently.

The best way I can describe how my diet has changed over this past year is I went from eating like a kid, whatever I wanted whenever I wanted, to eating like a grown up. I am picking things that are more nutritious and am learning that they actual taste good. I have also cut my portions down and try not to pick at my kid's plates.

Good Monday Morning everyone

It seems most people start a diet on Monday so I thought we could talk about food today.

What better way to start is to think about DW Food and Wine Festival

View attachment 189169

View attachment 189170

Well same old song here... I'm back to my same old crappy eating habits. So right now I can't say my eating habits have changed.

I will say that this evening is the first that I haven't had to lay down for a nap after getting home and I am very, very happy about that. It is a big step in getting me back where I need to be.

I've been to Food and Wine a couple times. I enjoy it I think because I'm a grazer and nibbler, so little plates of different things is fun.

A lot really. I haven't tried many new foods but I just changed the way I eat. Making it easy for myself and using the odd jar of sauce and not obsessing over 2 of sugar in my salad dressing but also I don't eat the complete junk anymore, I don't crave it and when on very special occasion I have tiny bit I don't find it that enjoyable

yes it taste great but it isn't very satisfying and I am just not into food that have no benefit to me and only make me feel worse after I eat it

My diet is a 180 degree opposite from what it used to be. I really didn't care what I ate before. If I was hungry (or if I wasn't hungry) and wanted it, I ate it. Now that I look at calories religiously I can see that the things I used to order usually were usually one of the two or three worst things on the menu. I also ate a lot of fast food before, where now my only drive through is Subway. I don't eat fried foods anymore. Now at a restaurant I pretty much order the most healthy thing on the menu, and while it might not be as good as the heavy butter and heavy cream things of the past, the new stuff is still pretty good and I still like it. It's a change I can live with.

Cooking at home has been totally different too. We use Blue Apron so everything is fresh and mostly healthy. I've learned how to cook healthier. Blue Apron has opened me up to trying a lot of different things, lots of greens with meals and lots of ingredients that we never used before (both my wife and I found out we really like meals with ginger). Gone are the days of just reheating chicken strips or processed meals that you just stick in the oven. My portions are much smaller now too.

My main hangup now is trying to incorporate little treats here and there and not feel totally guilty about having them. I'm learning that a small bowl of ice cream is ok once a week or splitting some popcorn at the movies won't be the end of the world. It's something that has been really tough for me, but now that I transition to more of a maintaining phase, it's getting better.

I love everything about this attitude! With this type of views, you will have no problem in maintenance

Booking my fast passes today. In hour and half! So exciting

No weight loss for me at all but I feel little calmer about it. I have my whole life ahead of me to live healthy and to get fitter and stronger. Slow and happy does it. More rest for me to avoid feeling so low as last week but over all I am still happy with the progress.

Next weigh in should be better!

It is changing slowly - I mean I'm never going to get rid of chocolate but how much I have goes up and down - I have good weeks and really good weeks ... if you know what I mean haha. I find that I have been focusing on both the food and budget this year so when I get organised it works quite well ... so Sunday I put a piece of beef in the slow cooker and did a pot roast which we had with vegetables, last night we had roast beef and gravy sandwiches and then tonight I used the last of it in a chunky spaghetti bolognaise with chunky cut vegetables in it as well. So definitely healthier than takeout and the beef cost me $20 so I am feeling pretty good about that. Doing more roasting of larger cuts of meat or a chicken has been a change for me this year which I think is working well.

The best way I can describe how my diet has changed over this past year is I went from eating like a kid, whatever I wanted whenever I wanted, to eating like a grown up.

Haha I love this - you summed it up so well - I am still working on the being a grown up though! Although whilst answering this I started to wonder if it is partly because I am such a grown up in all other parts of my life that I turn to food for enjoyment and fun... or really that I just love the taste and its convenient.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter