Largest study of its kind to investigate why Black women are more likely to die from most types of cancer

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
"The Voices of Black Women study hopes to recruit at least 100,000 Black women from 20 states and the District of Columbia to follow for 30 years. The study is concentrating on these areas because they’re where 90% of US Black women between the ages of 25 and 55 live.

Twice a year, the study will ask participants about lifestyle factors, medical history and experience of racism to determine what might affect someone’s risk of cancer and dying from cancer."

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/07/heal...-study/?dicbo=v2-85TqnTW&hpt=ob_blogfooterold

It's about darn time!

Prediction: They'll discover what a lot of people already know...that black women are a lot more likely to not be listened to by their medical providers, much more likely to be blown off, ignored, etc., all of which result in stuff like screening exams and tests being postponed or not even performed at all.

There are so many things that affect our health, some are social, some are environmental and some are genetic. Supposedly science is starting to grasp the genetic variations that influence our health. Thing is scientists can't identify a signal in mud so the field needs to be clean first and the only way to do that is to parse things out with lines as clear as we can get. Seems pulling the social away is fastest and then you look at what is left. Is healthcare access a problem between regions? Is it an issue of how people explain problems, like I have serious issues talking to urgent care who don't know me and if you mention pain everyone tags you a seeker and ignores you, so that ain't great? Can people showing up for help and then end result be looked at based on race and things be plain as day? Once all the social and all is pulled there can be useful identifiers that can save many lives.

Even if this is an issue concerning a small group today it will not stay that way. I mean now that so many people are genetically blended issues that maybe were once in certain groups are likely to slide out into mainstream now

It's about darn time!

Prediction: They'll discover what a lot of people already know...that black women are a lot more likely to not be listened to by their medical providers, much more likely to be blown off, ignored, etc., all of which result in stuff like screening exams and tests being postponed or not even performed at all.
And that's if these women even have access to healthcare.

Medical Deserts are a very real thing in the USA. Very sad.

Willing to place bets that it’s a combination of many factors. as with most people, regardless of color social economical, cultural, hereditary, etc.

I hope they find some insight. Just freaked me out as dang. I’m gonna be one old lady by time results are available.

Since it’s such a long-term study, I wonder what other influences are gonna come in in decades, environmental etc. you can’t compare a group today in 20 years

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter