• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is this realistic?

I'm still afraid of running in a group. There is one that is about 30 minutes from my house. I've been on their facebook page and they all look fit. lol I am easily intimidated. Someday.

I'm a work in progress. I'm also a girl. ;) lol No upper body strength here.
I should have broken that up into a reply to you and one to Waiting2goback. But if you're shoveling and carrying wood pellets, you'll come out of the winter with lots of upper body strength. Don't underestimate yourself - leave that to others.

I get what you say about being intimidated. I felt the same way until I did Team in Training and saw people much less fit than me out there being confident and awesome and encouraging ME because they'd already done a marathon and I hadn't. There are a couple of groups near me that are more speed-focused, which is why I picked the group I did - all fitness levels were encouraged.

Chiomaca~did your foster doggy get a forever home? That is a bummer about your long run. Do you prefer running outside?

Oh! So I've been trying to find an app (or running watch) that works at the indoor track. So far no luck. I used run keeper and it told me after 2.5 ( counted laps, which is a pain!!) that I had gone .13 miles and my pace was 4.19.38. I had to LOL. Seriously 4 HOURS +? I couldn't even be upset about it.
The meet and greet went really well, but we don't do same-day adoptions. We need to send someone to do a home visit and then hopefully - but they are looking at another dog as well, so we'll see. I'm hoping that the fact that she's awesome with cats and is a runner and snuggled right up to them will work in her favor. It's time for her to go to a home!

I use a Garmin watch with a footpad for the treadmill/indoor track. The footpod isn't too pricey and you can get a decent Garmin for ~$100 or you can go find a fancy one on Craigslist for way cheaper than list price, which is what I did. Works great. I haven't found much else that works well indoors. I do prefer to run outside, but it turns out that 19 degrees/-1 windchill is my limit and it's been -12 windchill all weekend. Supposedly we're finally going to get snow tonight, so I'm excited. Might even be a four day weekend. (Sorry Northerners, I know you're sick of the snow but I'm sick of cold and gray with no snow!) Might go run in that, just for the heck of it.

I may have found a running group. I talked to a customer and he told me about one. They run on Tuesday nights. Obviously I would only be able to do it on nights I am not working. But, I may give it a shot once the weather warms up and the sidewalks are passable.

I may have talked my other co-worker, the original one, into signing up for a race. He won't do Wine and Dine though. He is thinking the Avengers. He wants to, he is just afraid he won't be able to do it. I will be happy for them when they come home with their medals. I am just so mad at myself for not being in the position to be able to go.

Here is the truth. I will be proud of myself just for finishing the Baystate Marathon again. Let's face it, no marathon is easy. That would be one of the 3 goals, just to finish again. Another goal is to do it under 4 hours. It was last year's goal, and if not for hamstring cramps I would have done it. Goal 3 is BQ.
So cool that you had a customer tip you off to a group that you might be able to work with - that's awesome. Let us know how it works out. I don't make it to all the workouts either - missed the long run this week and skipping track next week to attend a fundraiser for the after school program I mentor with. Avengers was a lot of fun if you ignore the insane winds. I'll for sure be there since that's the weekend my family goes to DL every year anyway.

We'll be proud of you for finishing Baystate, too, no matter what the time. Now you need to figure out your training plan and keep your base strong enough that you can go into training strong. That's one advantage you'll have this year over last. I don't think you're crazy for trying to BQ though - I just want you to set yourself up for success instead of disappointment. Coaching is one of the biggest aspects of my job when I'm not driving a desk in DC...so I'm going to coach you whether you like it or not:sail:

On a similar note, I had a customer insult me today. Our accessory of the month is the FitBit. I was telling her how I am the one in the office into fitness so they turn to me to discuss the FitBit with people. I said I know it's hard to believe looking at me though. (Cuz she was looking at me like I'm crazy) She said, "No kidding its hard to believe." Some of my co-workers came to my defense. She said, "Sorry, I guess if I have nothing to say I will just say nothing at all." I looked her in the eye and said, "I have run a marathon and have the medal to prove it." She then kept quiet. My point in sharing is, it doesn't matter how you look because people will always judge and find fault. You will get where you want to be and it will be worth all the time and effort, and it will last.

I woke up focused and determined today to be more positive and get back to my positive ways. I decided I was going to the gym tonight after work, and it would mean travelling to a different gym that is open 24/7 because mine isn't on weekends. It was negative degrees out this morning and when I got back in the car after the workout it was -2'. I almost didn't go but I forced myself. I am hoping it is the first step in getting back to where I was.
That's messed up. I'm glad your co-workers came to your defense - it really seems like you've developed some good relationships there. That's nice.

How far away is the 24/7 gym? Does it have better facilities? I think it's good to find one that works with your schedule.

Our van also died again this morning while my husband was coming home from work - we spent $3000 on it in January and $500 in December. I don't know what's wrong, it is a 2006 but that's still not that old really. It's like there's a problem they can't find and it's causing other things to die. We have suspected that there is something wrong with the electrical for awhile now and keep saying that but so far they haven't figured it out. In January we thought about trading it in for a new one but I don't really want to take on a van payment again and I'm not quite ready to go to a car so we decided to get the work done thinking that would be it for awhile. My Disney dream is getting further and further away :(
That stinks. Car troubles are painful. Keeping my fingers crossed that you figure out what the problem is.

Today I signed up for the Dirty Girl 5k in the end of August. So the Color Run is in the end of April. I've got to get moving, but either way, they are a lot of fun. If I can ramp up my training I might sign up for a 10k this summer, but if not I will just keep doing 5ks to keep moving.
I'm glad you're signing up for things- hooray! You can totally ramp up that training to 10ks.

No workout for me today. Had to snowblow AGAIN before work. Then I worked and got home and the "wife" left as she is going away for a couple nights at a hotel. So I could go to the gym. I have the kids tomorrow so I may get up early and do P90X3. If not I am planning to do it tomorrow night when they go to bed.

Here is an update on my co-workers. I had the one I told you about that is signing up for Wine and Dine is still doing that. The original one I was trying to talk into it has now decided he is going to do Wine and Dine AND Avengers so he can get his C2C. He asked me my opinion and I told him if he really wants the C2C (which he says he does) then it makes the most sense to do that as he will have done the training already so doing one more race the next week will be no problem.

It was dead at work today because of the snow so we watched YouTube videos of runDisney races. They are all fired up. This is good for me because now I have people to talk to running about. They are asking me a million questions. It's bad because now I am so bummed I can't do a runDisney race for a while, even more than I was.
Snowblowing is a workout! If it were warmer, I'd ask if your oldest is old enough/responsible enough to be left alone to watch the others while you go for a short run, but that's not really an option for you guys anyway right now.

I know it's painful to see others doing what you'd like to do, but you should be proud that your enthusiasm and motivation has turned other people into fitness people. That's no small feat. Can you start putting aside small amounts of money towards a Disney trip so that you can at least feel like you're moving in the right direction? Like $5 a week or something? Even if it's just spare change that you collect during the week. I know you're saving for something much bigger, but at least you'd have the feeling that there's something moving you that direction?

So I had a really good weekend with friends and my hubby. Girls night was a definite success. We all went out to dinner and had a few drinks. At the movie one of my friends fell asleep and was snoring. I seriously think I spent 5 minutes trying not to laugh out loud at her. Last night we stayed home and my hubby went out of his way to make a romantic evening. He did such a great job.

Today I signed up for the Dirty Girl 5k in the end of August. So the Color Run is in the end of April. I've got to get moving, but either way, they are a lot of fun. If I can ramp up my training I might sign up for a 10k this summer, but if not I will just keep doing 5ks to keep moving.

Today will be food prep for the week. Not exciting but needs to be done. Plus my husband is starting to get sick so I need to make it as painless as possible.

Happy Sunday!

My friend and I are going to see that movie – I haven’t read the books so it will all be new to me! Glad your hubby made the evening romantic – sometimes the best most romantic nights are spent at home J

I did some food prep last night – it’s the one thing I really need to be more on top of. I cooked a roast (in the microwave with my new Tupperware pressure cooker in 25 minutes!!) and sliced it up for sandwiches for lunch and one dinner this week. I also washed and cut up all the lettuce and peppers. I have the Tupperware fridge mates but I think the peppers may not last the week as they were not the best. Because we didn’t have the van we ordered our groceries online (our regular grocery store just started online shopping!) and while it’s extremely convenient especially since it’s the same prices as instore they aren’t always as picky with the produce as I am!

So I did some asking around about what kind of bike I'd need for the duathlon at bike shops & sporting goods stores. I found a bike on Craigslist that fit the bill and bought it. not top of the line but a decent bike for $90!

Keep moving!

That’s awesome about the bike!

Glad you had a nice Valentines Day. Now you know not to go back to that place anymore.

I know car payments stink but if you think of it this way, had you gotten a new van with a $300/month payment the amount of money you spent to fix the old one would have paid the first year's worth of payments. And you have a newer van. Especially electrical problems, those can be a nightmare. Anyway, I hope this repair is less costly.

Here is an update on my co-workers. I had the one I told you about that is signing up for Wine and Dine is still doing that. The original one I was trying to talk into it has now decided he is going to do Wine and Dine AND Avengers so he can get his C2C. He asked me my opinion and I told him if he really wants the C2C (which he says he does) then it makes the most sense to do that as he will have done the training already so doing one more race the next week will be no problem.

It was dead at work today because of the snow so we watched YouTube videos of runDisney races. They are all fired up. This is good for me because now I have people to talk to running about. They are asking me a million questions. It's bad because now I am so bummed I can't do a runDisney race for a while, even more than I was

I wish I could get a van for $300 a month! This van was $644 a month – I remember being so happy when the last payment was made, I felt rich for two months and then my daughters started before and after school care for $650 a month and I was poor again LOL! In hindsight I may have opted for the new van if I knew we’d be putting in more $ a month later but now that we’ve replaced the catalytic converters, timing belt, battery, alternator, abs sensor, windshield and one other thing I’ve forgotten I feel like we need to keep it! It’s so convenient to have a van with the kids (as I’m sure you know!) and their friends but I know I won’t buy a van again because of the cost and the gas mileage so I want to hang on to it as long as I can. It’s tough to know when it’s time to dump it though. I’m worried that we just spent all that money for nothing.

I hear you on the being bummed others are doing Disney! Two of my friends just booked their trips for this year – one to WDW in the summer and one to DL for Christmas. They aren’t doing any races but I’m jealous about the trips!

It’s a BEAUTIFUL day today – sun is shining and the birds are chirping. I still didn’t get out for lunch though. I am going to aquafit tonight though even if I’m on my own. No more waiting on other people!

I do prefer to run outside, but it turns out that 19 degrees/-1 windchill is my limit and it's been -12 windchill all weekend. Supposedly we're finally going to get snow tonight, so I'm excited. Might even be a four day weekend. (Sorry Northerners, I know you're sick of the snow but I'm sick of cold and gray with no snow!) Might go run in that, just for the heck of it.

So cool that you had a customer tip you off to a group that you might be able to work with - that's awesome. Let us know how it works out. I don't make it to all the workouts either - missed the long run this week and skipping track next week to attend a fundraiser for the after school program I mentor with. Avengers was a lot of fun if you ignore the insane winds. I'll for sure be there since that's the weekend my family goes to DL every year anyway.

We'll be proud of you for finishing Baystate, too, no matter what the time. Now you need to figure out your training plan and keep your base strong enough that you can go into training strong. That's one advantage you'll have this year over last. I don't think you're crazy for trying to BQ though - I just want you to set yourself up for success instead of disappointment. Coaching is one of the biggest aspects of my job when I'm not driving a desk in DC...so I'm going to coach you whether you like it or not:sail:

That's messed up. I'm glad your co-workers came to your defense - it really seems like you've developed some good relationships there. That's nice.

How far away is the 24/7 gym? Does it have better facilities? I think it's good to find one that works with your schedule.

Snowblowing is a workout! If it were warmer, I'd ask if your oldest is old enough/responsible enough to be left alone to watch the others while you go for a short run, but that's not really an option for you guys anyway right now.

I know it's painful to see others doing what you'd like to do, but you should be proud that your enthusiasm and motivation has turned other people into fitness people. That's no small feat. Can you start putting aside small amounts of money towards a Disney trip so that you can at least feel like you're moving in the right direction? Like $5 a week or something? Even if it's just spare change that you collect during the week. I know you're saving for something much bigger, but at least you'd have the feeling that there's something moving you that direction?

It was -8' this morning PLUS wind chill on top of that. It was COLD. I had to finish snow blowing and my hands were so cold they were hurting, with my gloves on. On top of that I heard on the news that we have gotten 7' of snow in just the last 3 weeks. I have lived here all my life and seen a lot of bad winters. Usually when we get a lot of snow it is normal temps. This winter we get record snow AND frigid temps. AHHHHHHH! On the positive side, when it does get to the 30's it will feel like summer and I can run outside then.

The customer came in looking for an armband for his phone. We got to talking and I told him I would text him with my type of armband (got it at the ToT Expo) and he told me about the group. The running community sure does stick together.

I'm finishing up on my 80/20 Running book. There are training plans in there. I might follow the one for the 1/2 marathon for the one I am hoping to do in June. If I see a good enough increase in my time I will stick with it for the marathon. It makes a lot of sense so I am hopeful. You can coach me all you want. I am by no means saying I have all the answers.

I don't know if I have good relationships so much as they seem to respect me. I don't really talk to them outside of work. But people come to me when they need an opinion on something or they are having a problem.

My kids are 10 (11 next month), 7, 5, and 3. Not quite old enough to be home alone. And, while my oldest is responsible and knows all my son's medical issues better than most adults (the teachers and nurse go to her with questions at school) there is no way I could let her be responsible for him at this point.

I am saving for a my next trip. I am already planning to go celebrate the divorce when it is finally complete. It will be like the honeymoon but I will just be alone. :rolleyes1 The wife said she was open to giving the kids a Disney trip for Christmas this year. I would try to do it Marathon weekend so I can run the marathon. But, each time we discuss it she says it's too much money. So, I will just wait til we are divorced and take the kids by myself.

I do like that I have rubbed off on some people. He is a huge Disney fan but was scared to commit because he doesn't believe in himself. He already told me when he comes back with the medals he is giving me a huge hug. He had a smile on his face the whole time he was talking. And he asked if I would be proud of him if he got his coast to coast. To have a positive impact on someone's life is a great feeling. This is exactly what he needs. I'm excited for them both.

My regular gym is 24/7 Monday-Friday and 7-7 on weekends. The 24/7 all the time gym is about 40 minutes from my house. It seems to have more equipment.

I did some food prep last night – it’s the one thing I really need to be more on top of. I cooked a roast (in the microwave with my new Tupperware pressure cooker in 25 minutes!!) and sliced it up for sandwiches for lunch and one dinner this week. I also washed and cut up all the lettuce and peppers. I have the Tupperware fridge mates but I think the peppers may not last the week as they were not the best. Because we didn’t have the van we ordered our groceries online (our regular grocery store just started online shopping!) and while it’s extremely convenient especially since it’s the same prices as instore they aren’t always as picky with the produce as I am!

I wish I could get a van for $300 a month! This van was $644 a month – I remember being so happy when the last payment was made, I felt rich for two months and then my daughters started before and after school care for $650 a month and I was poor again LOL! In hindsight I may have opted for the new van if I knew we’d be putting in more $ a month later but now that we’ve replaced the catalytic converters, timing belt, battery, alternator, abs sensor, windshield and one other thing I’ve forgotten I feel like we need to keep it! It’s so convenient to have a van with the kids (as I’m sure you know!) and their friends but I know I won’t buy a van again because of the cost and the gas mileage so I want to hang on to it as long as I can. It’s tough to know when it’s time to dump it though. I’m worried that we just spent all that money for nothing.

I hear you on the being bummed others are doing Disney! Two of my friends just booked their trips for this year – one to WDW in the summer and one to DL for Christmas. They aren’t doing any races but I’m jealous about the trips!

It’s a BEAUTIFUL day today – sun is shining and the birds are chirping. I still didn’t get out for lunch though. I am going to aquafit tonight though even if I’m on my own. No more waiting on other people!

I am very picky on my produce as well. VERY. I could never let someone pick it out for me.

That's a huge payment. Mine is only $440 but I got a Toyota. I could have saved money getting a Dodge Caravan. I know what you mean about the van, I love it. I was considering trading it in for a car to save money but I can't bring myself to do it yet.

I don't even care about the trip, I want to run more races. :sad2::sad2::sad2:

Rub it in with the weather why don't you.

My wife went away last night and is coming home tomorrow. I am so aggravated because she did everything she could to try and ruin my trip when I went. I spent the day shopping for her birthday present and doing other things for her. I feel like such a dope. I allowed her to ruin my trip and here I am supporting hers. So now I want to go again and actually get to enjoy my trip.

I was looking around today for a new challenge. One thing I always wanted to do was a triathalon. I found one in August. I have no idea if I could do it alone. Do I need someone to watch my bike while I am doing the other legs, etc... And, I am scared to death of a 1 mile swim. But, I haven't ruled it out yet.

I get what you say about being intimidated. I felt the same way until I did Team in Training and saw people much less fit than me out there being confident and awesome and encouraging ME because they'd already done a marathon and I hadn't. There are a couple of groups near me that are more speed-focused, which is why I picked the group I did - all fitness levels were encouraged.

I use a Garmin watch with a footpad for the treadmill/indoor track. I do prefer to run outside, but it turns out that 19 degrees/-1 windchill is my limit and it's been -12 windchill all weekend. Supposedly we're finally going to get snow tonight, so I'm excited. Might even be a four day weekend. (Sorry Northerners, I know you're sick of the snow but I'm sick of cold and gray with no snow!) Might go run in that, just for the heck of it.

I'm glad you're signing up for things- hooray! You can totally ramp up that training to 10ks.

The group I have on my facebook is attached to the local running store. They do have beginner nights and stuff... but still all the pictures are of very fit people. lol I am thinking that if I continue to lose weight and actually get back out there and run maybe I will be ok trying it.

I did have a HR monitor at one point but it broke and I just didn't care enough to replace it. And I agree, I really would prefer bitter cold and sunny to kinda cold and gray any day. The lack of sun really messes with my mood. It's been bitter here since yesterday and will continue to be for the rest of the week. Yuck.

I am still signing up for things. I know that if I stop, I will not have any reason to keep moving when I feel lazy.

My friend and I are going to see that movie – I haven’t read the books so it will all be new to me! Glad your hubby made the evening romantic – sometimes the best most romantic nights are spent at home J

You may feel as if it is missing a lot. There's just a lot they don't explain in the movie despite it being 2 hours long. Hope you enjoy it!

Lucky you on the beautiful day! And woohoo and keeping moving! :jumping1:

It was -8' this morning PLUS wind chill on top of that. It was COLD. I had to finish snow blowing and my hands were so cold they were hurting, with my gloves on.

I do like that I have rubbed off on some people. He is a huge Disney fan but was scared to commit because he doesn't believe in himself. He already told me when he comes back with the medals he is giving me a huge hug. He had a smile on his face the whole time he was talking. And he asked if I would be proud of him if he got his coast to coast. To have a positive impact on someone's life is a great feeling. This is exactly what he needs. I'm excited for them both.

I was looking around today for a new challenge. One thing I always wanted to do was a triathalon. I found one in August. I have no idea if I could do it alone. Do I need someone to watch my bike while I am doing the other legs, etc... And, I am scared to death of a 1 mile swim. But, I haven't ruled it out yet.

Gotta love winter in the northeast. Blech.

I just want to remind you that you are inspirational ALL the time even though you may not see/feel it all the time. Just the brief amount of time you have been working with these people has changed the way they are behaving!

I don't know anything about triathlons but I just wanted to say that you can definitely swim a mile. You just have to find someplace to practice.

Alright. Today was weigh in day. Down 2.6 lbs. Woohoo. So that makes up for last weeks gain plus a little. I've been paying attention and the 2 lb gain each month is definitely related to TOM. Oh the joys of being female. Oh well. At least it comes right back off the following week for the most part. On average I am losing between 1-2 lbs each month. Definitely slow slow slow. But in the right direction and with my weak efforts I will just let it coast on until spring gets here. I am *thisclose* to being down 20lbs total from my highest. I am going to continue to track my eating habits and weight loss with respect to my cycle just to see what's going on. I can see right now that my lack of control is at a particular time and that is when I over eat. Hopefully that is something I can overcome.

Sorry Waiting2goback. lol All the talk about women stuff.

I didn't go to Zumba last night. I ended up running late at work and then my husband is really sick so I had to stop and get him some meds and just plain ran out of time. Hopefully he didn't share. He generally does get sicker than I do when we get sick anyway. Poor guy.

Great! I hope you enjoyed the sunny day and got to Aquafit.

I don't know if I have good relationships so much as they seem to respect me. I don't really talk to them outside of work. But people come to me when they need an opinion on something or they are having a problem.

My kids are 10 (11 next month), 7, 5, and 3. Not quite old enough to be home alone. And, while my oldest is responsible and knows all my son's medical issues better than most adults (the teachers and nurse go to her with questions at school) there is no way I could let her be responsible for him at this point.

I am saving for a my next trip. I am already planning to go celebrate the divorce when it is finally complete. It will be like the honeymoon but I will just be alone. :rolleyes1 The wife said she was open to giving the kids a Disney trip for Christmas this year. I would try to do it Marathon weekend so I can run the marathon. But, each time we discuss it she says it's too much money. So, I will just wait til we are divorced and take the kids by myself.

My regular gym is 24/7 Monday-Friday and 7-7 on weekends. The 24/7 all the time gym is about 40 minutes from my house. It seems to have more equipment.
It doesn't have to be outside of work to be a good relationship. You're making an impact on them and they respect you and look to you for advice. That's a solid mentoring/work relationship.

Definitely too young (I was looking after my younger brother alone from the time I was ten (single mom), but you've got too many with too many potential issues).

Have you guys set a timeline for the divorce? It seems like such a toxic environment for all of you.

Your concern about swimming is the same I've got. But there are volunteers who watch the bikes and they're in a transition area that's sectioned off.

The group I have on my facebook is attached to the local running store. They do have beginner nights and stuff... but still all the pictures are of very fit people. lol I am thinking that if I continue to lose weight and actually get back out there and run maybe I will be ok trying it.
Ignore the pics - the business is in the business of attracting people and you do that with fit, pretty people in pictures. I guarantee that if they have beginning nights, you would see plenty of people who aren't super fit and pretty. Why not go and look at it one night and then decide instead of talking yourself out of it without giving it a chance. You don't have to sign up or even tell people what you're there for - just show up and watch. If they seem like a good group, join in the next time.

I've been paying attention and the 2 lb gain each month is definitely related to TOM.
Yup. I have the same issue. Blech.

I finally got my snow! The dogs were a hoot. The first inch was on the ground when we walked and my foster pup licked the sidewalk...led with her tongue the entire time. I took a video of her leaving a tongue trail on the sidewalk. Most of the snow fell overnight, so our morning romp in the park was extra awesome. Frisbee in the snow is lots of fun. I paid a couple of young boys $10 to clear the whole 2 feet of step and sidewalk in front of my house...even though I knew the HOA folks would be by within the afternoon to clear the whole walkway. I just can't resist tiny entrepreneurs.

The group I have on my facebook is attached to the local running store. They do have beginner nights and stuff... but still all the pictures are of very fit people. lol

I am still signing up for things. I know that if I stop, I will not have any reason to keep moving when I feel lazy.

I just want to remind you that you are inspirational ALL the time even though you may not see/feel it all the time. Just the brief amount of time you have been working with these people has changed the way they are behaving!

I don't know anything about triathlons but I just wanted to say that you can definitely swim a mile. You just have to find someplace to practice.

OK, I am a bit grouchy today so I apologize if I come off as a bit feisty tonight. StayCool, you need to get over how you LOOK and get on with reality. The reality is, you aren't a beginner. You ran a 10 MILE race just a few months ago. Some people NEVER will run that long of a race. Some people can't go more than a 5K. And, there is nothing wrong with that. That is still awesome. You are not a BEGINNER. You are judging yourself based on your looks just like that customer did to me the other day. You, like Chiomaca said, are limiting yourself before you even start because you are worried people will think you can't do it because you are overweight. You have how many kids, a full-time job, do Zumba, ran a 10 mile race, take care of a house and family, and you don't think you can do a beginner running group, why?

I appreciate you saying I am inspirational. A different co-worker told me that today as well. But I don't see how so it is hard to believe.

Can I do the mile swim, probably. If I train for it I can most likely do it. I am just not the best swimmer and I panic in the water sometimes. But, the reason I am considering it is because it is another challenge that is out of my comfort zone just like running was last year.

Alright. Today was weigh in day. Down 2.6 lbs. Woohoo. So that makes up for last weeks gain plus a little. I've been paying attention and the 2 lb gain each month is definitely related to TOM. Oh the joys of being female. Oh well. At least it comes right back off the following week for the most part. On average I am losing between 1-2 lbs each month. Definitely slow slow slow. But in the right direction and with my weak efforts I will just let it coast on until spring gets here. I am *thisclose* to being down 20lbs total from my highest. I am going to continue to track my eating habits and weight loss with respect to my cycle just to see what's going on. I can see right now that my lack of control is at a particular time and that is when I over eat. Hopefully that is something I can overcome.

Sorry Waiting2goback. lol All the talk about women stuff.

I didn't go to Zumba last night. I ended up running late at work and then my husband is really sick so I had to stop and get him some meds and just plain ran out of time. Hopefully he didn't share. He generally does get sicker than I do when we get sick anyway. Poor guy.

Good job on the weight loss but if I remember correctly your clothes are getting looser, correct? That is the true test.

No problem with the women talk. I live with 4 girls. I know all about that stuff, even if only one is at that point. My female friends in the past have always talked about it too.

Sorry your husband is sick. Hope he gets better soon.

It doesn't have to be outside of work to be a good relationship. You're making an impact on them and they respect you and look to you for advice. That's a solid mentoring/work relationship.

Definitely too young (I was looking after my younger brother alone from the time I was ten (single mom), but you've got too many with too many potential issues).

Have you guys set a timeline for the divorce? It seems like such a toxic environment for all of you.

Your concern about swimming is the same I've got. But there are volunteers who watch the bikes and they're in a transition area that's sectioned off.

I finally got my snow! The dogs were a hoot. The first inch was on the ground when we walked and my foster pup licked the sidewalk...led with her tongue the entire time. I took a video of her leaving a tongue trail on the sidewalk. Most of the snow fell overnight, so our morning romp in the park was extra awesome. Frisbee in the snow is lots of fun. I paid a couple of young boys $10 to clear the whole 2 feet of step and sidewalk in front of my house...even though I knew the HOA folks would be by within the afternoon to clear the whole walkway. I just can't resist tiny entrepreneurs.

I'm glad you got the snow you wanted. I thought about taking pics of the view from my store at work so you could see snow but now you got some so you don't need to see the mounds I look at all day.

One of the people that is signing up for the race is on this site now and she is determined to find out who I am on here. So, if she does I'd be curious to see if she says anything. But, I think I am seen more as a father figure type. I guess that's good if its true.

As for the divorce, I am trying to do it without lawyers. It will take a year to do no matter what. I brought up filing on our own in November, she said she's think about it. I sent her an email at the beginning of the month with the process to do it on our own. She asked for the link to look into it herself. It's been over 2 weeks. I'm not sure what she is waiting for as she is the one claiming to be in an abusive relationship. You would think she'd be moving quicker. I have my theories on it.

I'm really leaning toward doing the triatholon. It will just mean I need to invest in a bike. I just want to make sure I am ready to do that. I am also worried the time swimming will take away from training for the marathon. I could wait until next year for the tri. Still some research needed before I decide.

I would have paid the kids to shovel too. Very encouraging for them.

I went to the gym after work tonight. Did 5.3 miles. It helped my mood. Planning to go back tomorrow after work.

Have a good night everyone.

Wow! I could have sworn that I wrote a long post last night but it's not here. I wonder where it went?

Staycool~I agree with the others about the running group. The pictures are on Waze pretty people. When you get there everyone will look pretty normal. I know they do that as an advertising gimmick but it just makes most of us feel plain.

Dizzyr~I'm happy that you did some food prep! I find that is key for me when I am losing weight. How is the van? Have you made it to any exercise classes?

Chicomaca~Your pup story sounds adorable! That was very nice of you to hired the young men to shovel your snow. My son did that yesterday and made $60. I have friends that always complain that they can't find any kids to do that anymore.

Waiting2goback~I think the reason that you were supportive of your wife going away even though she didn't support you is because that is just the kind of person you are. That is a good thing. I think the reason my bike was $90 is because it's only normally about 350. Like I said it's not a real expensive bike. I think you should go for the triathlon. If it's a challenger looking forward to just do it. I am not doing the triathlon because I cannot do the swimming either. Is the do Duathlon a option? The one I am considering is the Sprint length. Are you considering the full length?

I went to the gym today and rode the bike and then did a little walk run. When you first get off the bike and start moving it is weird. I try to exercise 4 to 5 times a week. But if I'm really going to do this duathlon I think I'm going to have to Up that I think. I don't know if I'm willing to do that.

Your weight loss is quicker than mine so that's something LOL! Hope your husband is feeling better.

Great! I hope you enjoyed the sunny day and got to Aquafit.

I did go! My cousin brought her husband and at first I wasn't too happy about that (I think he's great but the whole a new person seeing me in a bathing suit dilemma - lame I know!) but we all had a great time. Another friend came too and the three of us were bugging him that he was infringing on girls night. We all decided to grab something to eat after the class and we were talking about restaurants and he asked up to stop talking about food because he was so hungry which we did for all of two seconds. Then in the restaurant we were talking about a TV show and he said he didn't want to know what happened but my cousin said she did so we told her and by default him. A few minutes later he said he was sticking with the boys from now on because he didn't understand how girls get along - his exact words were "I say don't talk about food and for the next twenty minutes it's all about food, food, food. I say don't tell me what happened and the next thing you say is she died - I don't get women" we were in hysterics laughing - serves him right for infringing on girls night LOL We told him we're coming over next week with The Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink and we're going to sit on the couch watching and give each other mani/pedis. The poor guy doesn't know what he's in for!

I went again this morning and we tried running in the river and it was hard! I'm going to do that more often.

I'm glad you got your snow :) I must admit I do miss it. I used to have a little pug and she was so funny in the snow - I bet you had a great time with the dogs. Oh I would have paid the kids too! I way overpay for lemonade in the summer LOL

gnore the pics - the business is in the business of attracting people and you do that with fit, pretty people in pictures. I guarantee that if they have beginning nights, you would see plenty of people who aren't super fit and pretty. Why not go and look at it one night and then decide instead of talking yourself out of it without giving it a chance. You don't have to sign up or even tell people what you're there for - just show up and watch. If they seem like a good group, join in the next time.

I remember when I went there last year to get my running shoes. I was so embarrassed and the guy was awesome. You are right. I should check it out sometime. I have come a long way as far as self confidence in general, but I still have my hang ups.

That is awesome about the snow. Glad you and the pup had fun with it. Seems like we have been getting a little more snow every night here. I'm just happy that the sun is out during the day. :)

OK, I am a bit grouchy today so I apologize if I come off as a bit feisty tonight. StayCool, you need to get over how you LOOK and get on with reality. The reality is, you aren't a beginner. You ran a 10 MILE race just a few months ago. Some people NEVER will run that long of a race. Some people can't go more than a 5K. And, there is nothing wrong with that. That is still awesome. You are not a BEGINNER. You are judging yourself based on your looks just like that customer did to me the other day. You, like Chiomaca said, are limiting yourself before you even start because you are worried people will think you can't do it because you are overweight. You have how many kids, a full-time job, do Zumba, ran a 10 mile race, take care of a house and family, and you don't think you can do a beginner running group, why?

As for the divorce, I am trying to do it without lawyers. It will take a year to do no matter what. I brought up filing on our own in November, she said she's think about it. I sent her an email at the beginning of the month with the process to do it on our own. She asked for the link to look into it herself. It's been over 2 weeks. I'm not sure what she is waiting for as she is the one claiming to be in an abusive relationship. You would think she'd be moving quicker. I have my theories on it.

You are right. I guess I am not a beginner. I feel like a beginner though and definitely relate to that identity more than that of a runner. I don't know that I judge myself on my looks but instead on what I feel is my fitness level. I'm not sure how to change that. There are a lot of things that I am confident in. Guess this is a weak spot.

My thoughts on your relationship with your wife. You recently posted that she was going on a trip and you were helping her as well as getting her a birthday gift. I'm thinking she is still reaping the benefits of being married to you while continuing to be able to do what she wants. You may find that you need to make the first move in this case. Sorry if this is out of line.

Staycool~I agree with the others about the running group. The pictures are on Waze pretty people. When you get there everyone will look pretty normal. I know they do that as an advertising gimmick but it just makes most of us feel plain.

I went to the gym today and rode the bike and then did a little walk run. When you first get off the bike and start moving it is weird. I try to exercise 4 to 5 times a week. But if I'm really going to do this duathlon I think I'm going to have to Up that I think. I don't know if I'm willing to do that.

Yeah, it probably is just good advertising.

Will you need to increase your activity or can you continue to work out the same number of times per week but just change your workout routine. I would think that should be enough.

Your weight loss is quicker than mine so that's something LOL! Hope your husband is feeling better.

I went again this morning and we tried running in the river and it was hard! I'm going to do that more often.

Eh. He's still hanging on. I just hope he doesn't share! lol

Good for you going to aquafit with your friend and then running in the river. That is awesome!

For whatever reason lately I have been exhausted lately. I skipped zumba tonight just because all I want to do is sleep. I'm not quite sure why. My mood has been pretty good otherwise. idk. I will get back at it next week. The whole emeals thing has fallen by the wayside this week because my husband has been sick. I will get there though because I really do want to try new stuff. I kinda fell off the food prep wagon this week and that is making it more difficult too.

More snow tonight and then bitterly frigid temps again tomorrow. Cmon May! Or April...

Waiting2goback~I think the reason that you were supportive of your wife going away even though she didn't support you is because that is just the kind of person you are. That is a good thing. I think the reason my bike was $90 is because it's only normally about 350. Like I said it's not a real expensive bike. I think you should go for the triathlon. If it's a challenger looking forward to just do it. I am not doing the triathlon because I cannot do the swimming either. Is the do Duathlon a option? The one I am considering is the Sprint length. Are you considering the full length?

I think I have ruled out the triathlon. I think if I spent time training for the swimming and I didn't do well in my marathon I would regret taking time away from running. So, I will put it off for next year. A duathlon is appealing but weirdly enough, there aren't many in my area. TONS of tri's but not many duathlons.

The tri I was considering if 1 mile swim, 25 mile bike, and a 10K run.

Great job getting out there and running. Keep it going.

You are right. I guess I am not a beginner. I feel like a beginner though and definitely relate to that identity more than that of a runner. I don't know that I judge myself on my looks but instead on what I feel is my fitness level. I'm not sure how to change that. There are a lot of things that I am confident in. Guess this is a weak spot.

My thoughts on your relationship with your wife. You recently posted that she was going on a trip and you were helping her as well as getting her a birthday gift. I'm thinking she is still reaping the benefits of being married to you while continuing to be able to do what she wants. You may find that you need to make the first move in this case. Sorry if this is out of line.

The reason I said you are judging yourself on how you look is because you talked about how the people look in the pics for the running group and what they might think of you when you show up. If I am wrong, I apologize. But, you may very well have run a longer race than many of the people there. So, them judging you before learning that is not fair to you. We both have a lot to learn. Running is not easy. We could do this for the next 20 years and still not know everything.

Not out of line at all. You are 100% correct. That was my theory I was referring to last night. She gets all the benefits and goes out and sleeps with whoever she wants. And while I may look stupid for dealing with it I do have a plan. If I need to make the first move, I will. In the meantime I get to save more money, see my kids more, and lessen the chances I will struggle financially for the rest of my life, like I would if I moved out on my own now. I can't explain it all here, and nobody probably wants to hear it anyway. But, she has been treating me this way our whole marriage. I put up with it that long, a few more months is nothing.

Back to the gym tonight. I only did 2.5 miles as I had a stomach cramp. The roof is leaking again thanks to this ridiculous winter. So, I may go to the gym and then back on the roof before we go out for the wife's birthday.

Somehow I missed a bunch of posts!

Waiting2goback – I can’t believe how much snow you guys have been hit with. I don’t even remember what real snow is like anymore. We get it maybe once a year and it lasts a few hours to 2 days max and then poof just like that it’s gone again. We are already well on our way to spring here.

As for your relationships at work some of my closest friends over the years have been work friends that I don’t ever see outside of work. When you think about it we often spend more time with our work friends than any other friends.

You’re right about your kids not being old enough to be home alone especially since there’s so many of them! LOL I’m putting my 12 year old in a babysitting course during spring break and then this summer will let her babysit my 9 year old for the few times they aren’t in something. She does walk to and from school by herself so is home for about 2 hours a day on her own. It’s amazing how much confidence it’s given her.

If you did give the kids a trip for Christmas would it be with just you or both of you? It’s probably better if you wait and take them on your own.

StayCool – I agree with what everyone else is saying, you are way more fit than you are giving yourself credit for. That being said I understand exactly how you feel.

As for skipping Zumba I find that that the less I exercise the more tired I am then the more tired I am the less I want to exercise. As soon as I break the cycle I feel so much better.

Darci – The Duathlon sounds cool, I’ve thought about a triathalon but it’s the running that scares me. The swimming would be my favorite part J

Chiomaca – I love the new avatar!!

I had the most awesome workout tonight! My cousin and I ran in the river and it was way better than most of the aquafit classes we've taken. We couldn't do more than two laps at a time, our lungs were burning and our legs hurt - it felt so good! We're doing it again on Friday and we're going to try for three laps and keep track better. Our plan is to start with equal intervals of running and walking and go from there. So so so awesome!!

I think I have ruled out the triathlon. I think if I spent time training for the swimming and I didn't do well in my marathon I would regret taking time away from running. So, I will put it off for next year. A duathlon is appealing but weirdly enough, there aren't many in my area. TONS of tri's but not many duathlons.

The reason I said you are judging yourself on how you look is because you talked about how the people look in the pics for the running group and what they might think of you when you show up. If I am wrong, I apologize. But, you may very well have run a longer race than many of the people there. So, them judging you before learning that is not fair to you. We both have a lot to learn. Running is not easy. We could do this for the next 20 years and still not know everything.

Back to the gym tonight. I only did 2.5 miles as I had a stomach cramp. The roof is leaking again thanks to this ridiculous winter. So, I may go to the gym and then back on the roof before we go out for the wife's birthday.

I think you made the right decision to wait on the triathlon. It would definitely be distracting from marathon training.

I'm not offended by what you said. It's true. And I am judging them by their appearances. Not in a negative way, but still. I will work on that. I don't know how to change my mindset as far as how I feel about myself. My running pace is so slow and that is what is holding me back. That is why I wanted to work on shorter distances, so I can work on increasing my speed. Endurance I have...

Glad you are getting to the gym regularly again. And yes this winter is over the top. More -25 wind chill temps tomorrow... Blech.

StayCool – I agree with what everyone else is saying, you are way more fit than you are giving yourself credit for. That being said I understand exactly how you feel.

As for skipping Zumba I find that that the less I exercise the more tired I am then the more tired I am the less I want to exercise. As soon as I break the cycle I feel so much better.

I guess I am. I'm not dying when I work out anymore. lol And I agree. I've slipped back into some bad habits this week...

I had the most awesome workout tonight! My cousin and I ran in the river and it was way better than most of the aquafit classes we've taken. We couldn't do more than two laps at a time, our lungs were burning and our legs hurt - it felt so good! We're doing it again on Friday and we're going to try for three laps and keep track better. Our plan is to start with equal intervals of running and walking and go from there. So so so awesome!!

:jumping1:

So... no zumba this week and sliding back into old eating habits. I didn't do my food prep like I said and have been grabbing roast beef sandwiches at the store next door. That's not the bad part... it is the crap I've been getting to go with it.

Goals for next week:

Make it to Zumba twice
Bring my lunch ALL week
Get back to tracking my food. I haven't in about 2 weeks now.

I don't want to be that person I used to be.

So... no zumba this week and sliding back into old eating habits. I didn't do my food prep like I said and have been grabbing roast beef sandwiches at the store next door. That's not the bad part... it is the crap I've been getting to go with it.

Goals for next week:

Make it to Zumba twice
Bring my lunch ALL week

You aren't that person because that person wouldn't know or care that you had the bad habits!

I went to the pool again this morning and we ran 2 on 2 off for at total of 28. I can't believe I didn't do this before. It's the most perfect thing for me since I want to work up the courage and stamina to run and I love love love the water. Doing it again tomorrow :) I think I may have finally found my "thing"

Stay Cool is probably right - you most likely don't need to increase the days of exercise (rest is important!) but you need to increase the intensity - either go longer or go harder/faster.

AND
:jumping1: You keep doing that during the winter and running on the street in the spring and summer will feel super easy! I wish we had something like that, I'd do that over a treadmill workout any day. Don't you love the way you feel after a hard workout?

I was so embarrassed and the guy was awesome. You are right. I should check it out sometime. I have come a long way as far as self confidence in general, but I still have my hang ups.
Yup, we all have our hang ups and we project our own insecurities on the people we're afraid to interact with. I still feel like a beginner and in a lot of ways I am - I still need some kind of external motivation to get up and go unlike my friends, the "real runners" in my mind, who get up and run silly distances just because that's what they do. I don't know that I'll ever get to that point, right now I figure it's enough that I'm doing what I am. I think it's okay to call yourself a beginner as long as you don't let it hold you back from moving ahead.

For whatever reason lately I have been exhausted lately. I skipped zumba tonight just because all I want to do is sleep. I'm not quite sure why. My mood has been pretty good otherwise. idk. I will get back at it next week.
Are you getting sick, too? Make sure you're sleeping, hydrating and all of that! Otherwise, Dizzy has a point about not exercising feeding into not exercising.

Not out of line at all. You are 100% correct. That was my theory I was referring to last night. She gets all the benefits and goes out and sleeps with whoever she wants. And while I may look stupid for dealing with it I do have a plan. If I need to make the first move, I will. In the meantime I get to save more money, see my kids more, and lessen the chances I will struggle financially for the rest of my life, like I would if I moved out on my own now. I can't explain it all here, and nobody probably wants to hear it anyway. But, she has been treating me this way our whole marriage. I put up with it that long, a few more months is nothing.

I think we all just want you to get away from such a toxic environment - it's not that we think you're stupid for continuing to deal with the negativity but we want you to be in a better place. I honestly can't imagine not having family that I could rely on to help get me out of that sort of situation; it's hard enough with support, but without it is just awful. It means a different sort of planning and tolerance of a bad thing. But I also don't know that I'd be buying her a birthday present or taking her out to celebrate. (Unless you were using her money of course, then go for it.)

Our track session was cancelled due to the snow and ice on the tracks (no useable lanes at the high schools), so I did my track workout on the treadmill. 1 mile warm up, 4 miles of intervals (.5 mile at my goal race pace, .25 walking), 1 mile cool down starting at a 10% incline and slow jog, decreasing the incline each 1/10 of a mile and increasing speed at the 5% mark. Followed up with lateral movement weights for my abductors/adductors and glutes to counter all the running. I'm feeling the weights more than the running this morning!

Waiting2goback – I can’t believe how much snow you guys have been hit with. I don’t even remember what real snow is like anymore. We get it maybe once a year and it lasts a few hours to 2 days max and then poof just like that it’s gone again. We are already well on our way to spring here.

If you did give the kids a trip for Christmas would it be with just you or both of you? It’s probably better if you wait and take them on your own.

Yeah, it's A LOT of snow. I was back on the roof again this morning for a few hours chopping more ice. My roof is leaking in like 6 places now. My house isn't that old either. It's happening to everyone. I see people shoveling off their roofs or at Home Depot buying stuff to get rid of the ice damns. It's crazy.

If would have been from us both. It will be better if I take them on my own but then I need to pay for the whole thing, she would have paid 1/2 if we did it as a gift.

It is those kinds of days/workouts that really get you motivated and things start changing. Just remember this feeling and come back and read your own post the next time you are struggling.

I think you made the right decision to wait on the triathlon. It would definitely be distracting from marathon training.

I'm not offended by what you said. It's true. And I am judging them by their appearances. Not in a negative way, but still. I will work on that. I don't know how to change my mindset as far as how I feel about myself. My running pace is so slow and that is what is holding me back. That is why I wanted to work on shorter distances, so I can work on increasing my speed. Endurance I have...

Have I ever mentioned the self-esteem book I read. I'd be surprised if I didn't. It was what began all my changes. That was the biggest reason I began to look at myself differently. I used to hate the person I was. I'm not saying I love myself just yet, but I at least like myself now. Just in case, it is called Self-Esteem by Matthew McKay. Once I did the "accurate self assessment" in chapter 2 things changed. On top of that, you may never be able to completely change how you see yourself. Look at Chiomaca. She still feels like a beginner even after all the races she has run.

Goals for next week:

Make it to Zumba twice
Bring my lunch ALL week

Hopefully you come back at the end of next week and quote this post from yourself and are able to say you completed all of your goals.

I think we all just want you to get away from such a toxic environment - it's not that we think you're stupid for continuing to deal with the negativity but we want you to be in a better place. I honestly can't imagine not having family that I could rely on to help get me out of that sort of situation; it's hard enough with support, but without it is just awful. It means a different sort of planning and tolerance of a bad thing. But I also don't know that I'd be buying her a birthday present or taking her out to celebrate. (Unless you were using her money of course, then go for it.)

Our track session was cancelled due to the snow and ice on the tracks (no useable lanes at the high schools), so I did my track workout on the treadmill. 1 mile warm up, 4 miles of intervals (.5 mile at my goal race pace, .25 walking), 1 mile cool down starting at a 10% incline and slow jog, decreasing the incline each 1/10 of a mile and increasing speed at the 5% mark. Followed up with lateral movement weights for my abductors/adductors and glutes to counter all the running. I'm feeling the weights more than the running this morning!

It is hard not having a family for sure. But, I am doing OK considering. Truthfully, I will never escape the negativity. Her parents have been divorced for over 25 years and her mother still blames all the bad stuff in her life on her father. She will do the same thing to me. The difference is I now see what she is like and don't take everything to heart like I used to. I let so much roll off my back. She thanked me for giving her such a nice birthday today, which she never would have done in the past so that's progress. I used my money for her gift because she bought me something for my birthday last fall.

It will all be fine. 6 months ago I had no choice but to stay here. Now I am in a position to leave if I had to. If I gets bad enough I will. If things stay like they are I will just keep saving so I don't struggle when I'm on my own. Plus, I'd rather not get a 1 bedroom apartment with 4 kids which is all I can afford right now. I just need to stop talking about her and move on to more constructive things. :rolleyes1

Tomorrow starts 6 days of work in a row. But, I will be planning to go to the gym after work.

You aren't that person because that person wouldn't know or care that you had the bad habits!

I went to the pool again this morning and we ran 2 on 2 off for at total of 28. I can't believe I didn't do this before. It's the most perfect thing for me since I want to work up the courage and stamina to run and I love love love the water. Doing it again tomorrow :) I think I may have finally found my "thing"

That's awesome. I'm glad that you found something you really enjoy! :)

Are you getting sick, too? Make sure you're sleeping, hydrating and all of that! Otherwise, Dizzy has a point about not exercising feeding into not exercising.

I don't know. I was feeling a bit run down so I indulged it. I'm not sure. But I will pick it up next week.

Sounds like a great workout! Wooo!

Yeah, it's A LOT of snow. I was back on the roof again this morning for a few hours chopping more ice. My roof is leaking in like 6 places now. My house isn't that old either. It's happening to everyone. I see people shoveling off their roofs or at Home Depot buying stuff to get rid of the ice damns. It's crazy.

Have I ever mentioned the self-esteem book I read. I'd be surprised if I didn't. It was what began all my changes. That was the biggest reason I began to look at myself differently. I used to hate the person I was. I'm not saying I love myself just yet, but I at least like myself now. Just in case, it is called Self-Esteem by Matthew McKay. Once I did the "accurate self assessment" in chapter 2 things changed. On top of that, you may never be able to completely change how you see yourself. Look at Chiomaca. She still feels like a beginner even after all the races she has run.

Hopefully you come back at the end of next week and quote this post from yourself and are able to say you completed all of your goals.

It is hard not having a family for sure. But, I am doing OK considering. Truthfully, I will never escape the negativity.

Tomorrow starts 6 days of work in a row. But, I will be planning to go to the gym after work.

Blah to this weather. Over it all. Thankfully my roof is extremely steep. No snow stays on it.

You have mentioned the book. I think in general my self esteem is pretty good. I just have to talk myself into trying new stuff. I've come a long way. :)

I don't believe that you will never escape the negativity. I used to think that myself. Took a lot of work and conscious choices of who I surround myself with, but I would say that almost all the people I surround myself with are uplifting. Once you leave and get a divorce, eventually it will smooth out. There will be bumps but at least it won't be constant. And I'm glad that she thanked you for her gift. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter