• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is staying onsite worth the extra $500 to you?

I am also curious about the answer to this. I thought it was just one day for each night? Anyone stayed on site recently who could verify this?

as others that have stayed at the deluxe hotels onsite, i will repeat again with a yes.

www.universalorlando.com

it is on the website
perks and benefits are listed there.

each registered guest at the deluxe hotels is allowed unlimited usage of the express lines on check in day and check out day.

none of us work for UO.
we would not steer you wrong.
we just share our experiences and tell others staying onsite is a good thing.

We never stay onsite, but that's b/c we have access to a 2 BR condo for little or no outlay on our parts. We're too spoiled to stay in a hotel room anymore. We just plan plenty of park days so we can get to whatever we want to do.

We just did a split stay last week. One night at the Hard Rock Hotel and one night at the Doubletree. I just couldn't spring another $250 (incl tax) for a 2nd night at HRH - the split stay was an awesome compromise (see my trip report in my signature).

The Express Pass rocked and for a 2 night, 3 day trip, a split stay was the most economical way to do it.

Is this still true? It was kind of confusing on the website, but if this is the case, then it definitely is worth it to stay at least one night at the deluxe resort on property.

True.

I am also curious about the answer to this. I thought it was just one day for each night? Anyone stayed on site recently who could verify this?

True.

Yes, it's for check in and check out day. We last stayed in feb and we are checking in tomorrow at PBR.

Check in, check out, and any days in between.

One night's stay gives you 2 days of unlimited express pass. 2 nights gives you 3. etc. It's absolutely beautiful.

From their site: "SKIP THE REGULAR LINES with Universal Express Unlimited ride access^ in both theme parks—a FREE benefit worth up to $89 per person, per day^^ (valid theme park admission required)."

They used to totally spell it out, but as always happens when a website changes (in this case goes to a "mobile friendly" site) they lost a whole bunch of pages and info. Because they tried to make each page "equal", they just don't have the spot to put in the old info, because they don't have that spot for their non-Orlando hotels.

I'm like Bluer...I don't even check the offsite places, so I'm not comparing anything, or even knowing that one thing is $500 is more or less. If I can't afford onsite, we don't go at that time.

I'm like Bluer...I don't even check the offsite places, so I'm not comparing anything, or even knowing that one thing is $500 is more or less. If I can't afford onsite, we don't go at that time.

Yep, we were not going this weekend until less than 2 weeks ago. It was looking pretty grim on room pricing and then a few rooms opened up with a decent price. I guess we have it good being FL residents and can come anytime the price is right. There has only been a few stays we have paid rack rate due to meeting up with homies or a gotta see concert.

third on a match right behind bumbershoot and bluer......

i stay onsite and pay what it is.
(many times i book at rack and modify when discounts are released)

i need and want a relaxing long vacation at least once each year.
it can run higher than i wish to pay but the money is secondary in my life.

i go solo and my room cost is the same as if i had others in the room.
same high expense with air and carfare while in orlando.
going on vacation is never a cheap thing.

i'm always scouring for the best rates, discounts, coupons, etc to help me with my budget.
i cut back during the year in order to allow me to take my trips.

stay onsite as i have found security to be exceptional.
going solo, this is so important to me.

i never consider an offsite hotel.
once i am at a resort, that is where i will stay until time to return home.
everything i need is nearby.

i am very aware that many really have to cut back during the year for any theme park trip.
those that do, make it a great one no matter where they stay.

i can only speak for myself on why onsite is the only way i will do the darkside.
i have twice ended up in an emergency medical condition where i needed help to the hospital.
each time, staff at the hotel took over all arrangements for me.
Loews hotels has been outstanding in helping their guests in all ways when a crisis happens.

so for me, the money is secondary, safety and security are my priorities in staying solo at a resort.

for me to move offsite to save $200, $300 to live within a budget, is not something i can do.

peace of mind staying on site is something i can't give up.

We've done both and, like everyone else, LOVE LOVE LOVE onsite. That easy walk to the parks is so great, and the Express Pass of course. Also the early entry hour.

As for split stay, I don't think anyone has mentioned Cabana Bay as an option. It's a Universal hotel, close (but a shuttle ride away, not a walk) that does NOT have Express Pass included and the prices reflect that. Something to think about. I don't know, maybe they would even move your luggage for you? It seems like you are going for a long time, so maybe you wouldn't need Express Passes every day.

deluxe onsite hotels will not transfer luggage to Cbay from what i have read from trip reports when guests switch to the value hotel.

Add us to the club that will only stay onsite at Universal.

We also are not people that are in and out of Universal in 2 days. We like to enjoy everything there is to offer at the parks, Citwalk, and resort at a leasurely pace and many times over. This usually involves a stay of 7-10 days. So price is never an issue as we are always able to book with "Stay more, Save more" promo.

Having a tight enough budget that I couldn't stay onsite also means that I'd have to budget my food & drink.

...and in our opinion, having a food & drink budget at Universal is the definition of cruel.

deluxe onsite hotels will not transfer luggage to Cbay from what i have read from trip reports when guests switch to the value hotel.

We stayed at RP last Sept for 2 nights, then moved to CB to meet up with some friends. They transferred our luggage for us. Not sure if it has changed since then, though.

We will never go to Universal unless we stay at HRH. We LOVED the location (I couldn't believe how close it was to the parks) and the express pass is a must have for us. Next visit we will eat at the Palm every night. It was worth ever penny and both meals we had were superb (steak one night and whole lobsters the next). The rest of the restaurants were a disappointment in comparison, especially for service. The pool was great, lots of seating. If anything we said we'd spend more resort time. It was rainy on our last visit and DD got sick (severe allergic reaction to a prescription) and we had to cut our visit short. But we are looking forward to a return visit and will definitely stay at HRH.

We are here now and ended up spending the extra money to stay onsite at rp. Best decision ever for all of the reasons mentioned in this thread. We got one of the renovated rooms and got 20 percent off from cheap tickets. Thanks for the advice everyone!

glad you came back to us for sharing that.

we all love happy endings.

most of us posting have been in your shoes when we started staying onsite at the darkside.
first night onsite made us believers.

enjoy your vacation!

We are in the same boat as everyone else that agrees. When we visit the darkside staying onsite is a must. The express pass makes it worth while alone. Being so close is just icing on the cake.
While doing wdw we are ok with staying off site. After our past two visits to wdw we prefer marriotts timeshares to dvc rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter