In Every Run That Must Be Done; There is an Element of Fun (comments welcome)

Maple Grove Lions 10K

It was a beautiful morning for a race, but I was pretty tired from staying up late on Friday looking at Northern Lights (I’ll do a separate post of my best pics)

I had picked up my bib and shirt Friday after work because they really didn’t want people picking them up on race morning, even though that would’ve been way more convenient for me. Maple Grove is 30-35 minutes from me, so spending an hour for a 2 minute errand is irritating.

Anyway, the race started and ended at Maple Grove Senior High, so there was great on-site parking. I dropped my bag at bag check and kind of wandered around for a bit. There was also a Half and a 5K running, the half started first at 7:30, and the 5K started after the 10K at 8:00. After the half runners got on their way, I lined up toward the back and on the right side for the 10K. My goal for the race was not to race it, but to treat it like a catered training run. So I kept my intervals at 30/60, rather than the 30/45 I would normally use for a 10K, but I did run the downhills, regardless of what my intervals were telling me to do.

The race started with a full loop around the track, and my playlist had jokes and started with “Right Round” 😄😄 Because I chose to stick with my intervals right from the start, rather than keeping up with the crowd, I quickly ended up at the pack of (if not the back of) the pack. It wasn’t a great feeling, but I tried to just keep on keeping on. Luckily, there was a nice downhill less than half a mile into the race and I permanently passed a number of people I had been behind. It was shortly past the first mile that the fastest 5K runners passed me. And occasionally, the half leaders would zip by me when our courses converged.

The course was super clearly marked for all 3 races. You just followed the signs that matched your bib color (yellow for half, orange for 10K, green for 5K). Most of the race was on paved nature trails, with the occasional jaunt into a neighborhood, including one that had a great divided road with a big greenway and paved trail going down the middle of it. There were volunteers at almost all intersections to point the way and cheer people on, and police manning the very few busier crossing points. I would definitely run this course again as an actual race.

There was a nice section along the north shore of Rice Lake.
CA6CBA48-62FD-45E0-A118-C623CA8D363A.jpg
44564C22-345A-44D4-B64F-C96DB071EEDD.jpg

Someone along the lake path had a little collection of painted rocks, fairy houses, and other random bits of stuff.
C298AA40-3731-4532-902E-1F002F7EC978.jpg

Somewhere in the fifth mile, we turned east onto a very sunny trail, and my playlist had another joke: “Soak Up The Sun” 😄😄

There were some people I was hoping to pass in the last mile, because we’d been leapfrogging for a while, but I just couldn’t do it. But I wasn’t last, and I was ahead of more people than I thought! I finished 229/250 overall, and 136/151 women, in a time of 1:21:10. My watch only measured 6.13 miles, but I think it lost me a few times along the way.
51027212-F1F8-4D12-A5E3-4F563A8B494A.jpg

After I drank my water and ate some chips, I walked back to the car and headed home. I ate some more food, got cleaned up, and then had to head out to my great aunt and uncle’s house to do some work for their big garage sale that starts next weekend.

Sadly, we didn’t get a repeat show from the Aurora on Saturday night, just some white streaky bits before the clouds rolled in.
5D77C30B-2C07-413B-8F14-A438C5852B21.jpg
A59C061A-0339-4061-ACDB-96AE7E57A3BB.jpg

Sunday, I had to help my grandma with her outdoor work (it was Mother’s Day after all) so I didn’t get onto the treadmill until 10 pm, and I only managed 2/3 miles of my progression run. My legs just felt heavy and it wasn’t a very good run, and another mile wasn’t going to make it any better. I feel bad that I cut it short, and that I skipped an easy 3 mile run this week, but, on the other hand, my long run for the week was only supposed to be 4 miles, and I ran a 10K instead, so I’m only short about 2 miles on the week.

And my estimated current fitness changed again, getting closer to where Runna thinks I’ll be at the end of my plan. I’d say that the current 10K estimate is accurate—if I’d been running 30/45, I think I could’ve found 3 minutes to shave off the race on Saturday.
10B84B50-C4BC-4167-9A29-427CA60CBF63.jpg

In critter news, one of my chipmunks has gifted me with 2 little babies! They’re too shy to get pictures of yet, but their mama only just brought them out of the den for the first time yesterday, so I’ve got plenty of time to work my Disney Princess magic on them.

Here’s Rocky
F981CA85-31B2-4240-B090-F9734B426154.jpg

Bashful (FKA Happy)
5946962D-F47E-4CF8-A53A-ECA77A0691BD.jpg

And Mama Red, who isn’t ready to take food directly from my hand, but if I put some peanuts down and back off about 2 feet, she’s happy to sit and munch on them while I watch.
2E197F9E-B60B-40DC-A9D7-7BCA9FF2986E.jpg

Great photos (race and AB)! As much as I would love to see AB, I just can't stay up that late. Still, one day I will go to Iceland, and force myself to.

my playlist had jokes and started with “Right Round” 😄😄

See, if one is going to do music, this is how to do it!

Great photos (race and AB)! As much as I would love to see AB, I just can't stay up that late. Still, one day I will go to Iceland, and force myself to.
Honestly, I took my pictures at about 9:45pm, but doing that pushed the rest of my nighttime routine later

Congrats on the 10k…. The rock village was cool 😎

Baby chipmunks 🐿️ that is so amazing.

I had the same experience with the Northern Lights, my camera could see them better that my own eyes.

It was a bucket list item for me so was very excited.

Amazing about the aurora! Great photos! It was cloudy for us, BOOO.

Also, the 10k looked like a very nice race!

11 Days Until: Human Powered Health 10 Miler

Shockingly, I managed to complete 3/4 scheduled runs last week. I did decide to drop my Pilates and strength programs though, it was just too much pressure to get things done. Running is the most important thing for me.

My whole week was mixed up because originally, I had scheduled my runs for Tues/Fri/Sat/Sun this week due to my great-aunt’s big garage sale starting on Thursday. But then my stupid cousin decided that he’s planning to move his family out to New Jersey, so he and his wife needed to drive out there and scope it out, so his kid needs to stay with us from Thursday to Tuesday. And I’d be on kid duty all day Friday and most of Saturday. So Saturday’s easy run became Wednesday’s easy run (I do know enough not to do my speed workouts on back-to-back days) and Friday’s speed run became Saturday’s speed run. I was hoping I could find time for my long run on Sunday, but the morning phone call with my mother got delayed and then we were gonna go play mini golf and get dinner and ice cream, so the time never materialized (technically, I had time in the evening, but running after a burger, fries, and ice cream cone seemed like a recipe for disaster 🤢)

Although I skipped Sunday’s long run (4.6 miles) I did spend more than 2 hours over 3 different days playing soccer with a 7 year old boy, so I wasn’t exactly lounging around. And I managed to get both my speed workouts done, even though I had exactly 0 desire to do it on Saturday after playing soccer in the early afternoon and then hanging out at the garage sale for 4 hours.

Tuesday’s speed workout was Rolling 300s (ignore that it says “recovery” on my spreadsheet, it’s a multipurpose tracker for any workout with even-distance intervals) and I did it on the treadmill. I was a bit slow on the first “fast” interval, and a bit fast on the last “slow” (although that was actually the one that was almost the correct pace) and my treadmill continues to not get me running at the proscribed speed, but I think I’m about in the right place effort-wise, so I’m going to stick with using the MPH listed in the workouts.
91F919AF-3FAC-4331-BFE9-8A271D3D3E5F.jpg

Wednesday was a 3.4 mile easy run (no faster than 13:25 pace)—my splits were 13:41, 13:37, 13:31, and a 13:33 pace for the last .41 miles, so I was right on. I did my run over my lunch break because we were going to see MJ at The Orpheum on Wednesday night.

Thursday was a long day at the garage sale, followed by 42 minutes of soccer in comfortable shade. Friday was 37 minutes of soccer in the blazing sun 🥵🥵 Saturday was 33 minutes of soccer in the blazing sun, 4 hours at the garage sale, plus my .25 repeats on the treadmill in the evening. I really really wanted to quit about 5 different times, but I just kept going. There’s no way I could’ve done these any faster, so I guess it’s a good thing that 5.3 mph on my treadmill doesn’t actually make me run an 11:20 pace. I’m just happy that they’re reasonably consistent all the way through the 10 reps.
9A14D42E-AA30-4EC0-B6A7-DB7F0D5D79E9.jpg

Here is where my training estimate stands after 3 (mostly) completed weeks of training
84109383-A00C-4EBC-A373-71F9C117AA86.jpg

The mini golf place we went to on Sunday also has some farm animals, and a whole big sculpture garden. I’ll do a separate post with pictures from the place. It’s actually right off one of my regular running trails, so sometime I’m going to bring some cash with me, run 2 miles there, play a round of mini golf, and then run back to my car.

Doesn’t that sound like something we should be able to do at Disney?? Well, I guess you can run from Epcot, Hollywood Studios, or one of the Crescent Lake resorts over to Fantasia Gardens, play, and then run back.

My little cousin loves to help me feed the chipmunks
Here he is with Rocky in his hand
A5F12999-35F8-49B9-A485-B348A521C74A.jpg

And here he is with King
95B8BCED-8FF0-4A96-968E-8495013EA94C.jpg

We had some rain early Friday evening, and ended up with a double rainbow! It was actually still raining when I went out to take this picture over our neighbor’s house.
D3BE0AA2-02D4-4430-8F28-DAA6BA8A3F3C.jpg

Oh! I almost forgot! I had a close encounter with a doe in our yard on Sunday night. I think she’d tucked her fawn away somewhere in our woods (does often bring their fawns to play in our “park” in the woods because it’s very sheltered and there’s lots of space for them to race around) because she wasn’t as skittish as deer usually are, I was able to talk to her and get within 15 feet or so without her spooking at all.
IMG_7943.jpegIMG_7941.jpeg

Big Stone Mini Golf and Sculpture Garden (part 1)

There were some seriously weird sculptures and stuff here—so much so that I think I need 2 posts for it all

There was a “life-sized” Sasquatch made of old tires (grandmother for scale)
IMG_7881.jpeg

There was a pig and a chicken making eggs and bacon, also made of old tires. I quite like that they’ve got aprons, complete with pockets.IMG_7876.jpeg

There was this carved wood sculpture of cats sleeping on sheep
IMG_7879.jpeg

The goats had their very own cherries and spoon bridge (modeled after Minneapolis’ famous Spoonbridge and Cherry sculpture at the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden)IMG_7886.jpeg

Look at this adorable baby goat!!
IMG_7883.jpeg

Okay, back to weird sculptures. There was a dragon slingshotting a dove
IMG_7902.jpeg

A goat driving a plow pulled by seahorses
IMG_7907.jpeg

And a frog playing an electric guitar and singing, while also trying to eat the bug on his microphone
IMG_7919.jpeg

And this giant rock, which someone carved to look like it was being squeezed into this shape by the wire wrapped around itIMG_7911.jpeg

They also had this giant slab of granite laid over 2 giant hunks of tree trunk with a metal fence in the middle for ping pong (the paddle and balls were stored in a mailbox nearby, which was terribly clever) My grandma is the world’s greatest accidental sports photographer—she couldn’t have taken this picture on purpose if she’d tried!)IMG_2814.jpeg

Big Stone Mini Golf and Sculpture Garden (part 2)

Rock, Paper, Scissors
IMG_7923.jpeg

A flying pigIMG_7922.jpeg

A giant shrimp or somethingIMG_7921.jpeg

A happy dog
IMG_7912.jpeg

A shiny rhino
IMG_7909.jpeg

A woolly mammoth, as seen through a stone arch a la Stonehenge
IMG_7905.jpeg

A big-a** snapping turtle—I couldn’t get my little cousin in the picture, but this thing could eat good-sized children easily
IMG_7900.jpeg

A bear playing an accordion (maybe he could join the Country Bear Jamboree?)IMG_7894.jpeg

This freaky fish monster
IMG_7891.jpeg

And finally, a chicken riding a unicycleIMG_7892.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter