Impulse-ish Girls Trip: August 2017

evre13

Hi, I'm new here.
So, I've been a long-time lurker on the Boards, feeling almost like a poser if I didn't have a trip in the immediate future -- or even long-term-in-the-far-future.

Then! Like a miracle! I was sent a pin-code for 30% off a room, my friend EKM and her sister MCM were into the idea, and we booked a room for 4 nights in August at Caribbean Beach Resort. Of course, it's already expanded to an extra night at Pop Century, and a free night using hotel points on the front end. That was so predictable.

Who am I? I'm Elizabeth, a government worker by day
When are we going? August 12 - 17, 2017
Where are we staying? Caribbean Beach (Aug 13 - Aug 15), Pop Century (Aug 16)
Why? Why not?

I don't want to overwhelm my friends with planning, so I'm going to do it all here.

:welcome:

Last edited:
I am following along!!!

We stayed at Caribbean Beach just this February, although I have a feeling you will have a much different experience there than we did. (they hadn't started construction yet) But we loved it!

I do PTR so I don't drive DH crazy talking about it all the time!

I am following along!!!

We stayed at Caribbean Beach just this February, although I have a feeling you will have a much different experience there than we did. (they hadn't started construction yet) But we loved it!

I do PTR so I don't drive DH crazy talking about it all the time!

I have a lot of time at work on a computer, so I feel like this is more constructive than g-chatting my travel buddies. I'm excited to stay at CBR -- I've heard good things! I'll have to go read your report; I feel like I don't know that much about it.

I have a lot of time at work on a computer, so I feel like this is more constructive than g-chatting my travel buddies. I'm excited to stay at CBR -- I've heard good things! I'll have to go read your report; I feel like I don't know that much about it.
I have to admit, I don't have too much info on my trip report about the resort... We were only there 3 nights. It was a short trip this time.

The Hotel Conundrum

So, we're going in August (I'll be there for 6 days total), and I'll be staying in three hotels. That just seems excessive, doesn't it?

Part of this is motivated by saving money -- I'm going down with two other girls, and we'd rather eat (and drink! and shop!) than stay in a deluxe hotel -- part of it is because I keep adding to the trip. I fly in early Saturday morning, and the sisters are driving in from Alabama on Saturday. We decided to save money that night by cashing in some of my Intercontinental points (thanks work travel!) and staying one night at the Holiday Inn by the airport. It doesn't look too bad, and it's a quick (free) shuttle ride away.

Sunday, we move to Caribbean Beach (probably with online check-in so we do't have to worry about check-in after a day at the parks? Does anyone have experience with this?), and when we first planned the trip, it looked like we'd be leaving on Wednesday. Well, let me clarify. We said we'd leave be there Sunday - Wednesday, but I want a full day in the parks that day. The current reservation we have ends that Wednesday, and I don't know if the sisters will drive back Wednesday after Animal Kingdom. I don't know if they've gotten that far, to be honest.

So, I started looking at flights, and using a Delta credit, I was able to get a round trip ticket for only $9 (yes! I know!) if I left on Thursday afternoon. No big deal; I have the vacation time, and I can stick around for another day. Right now, I have one night booked at Pop Century, and I'm fine with that. It's actually already paid-in-full, as is my share of the other hotel room. Here's what I can't decide, and I'd love help.

tumblr_nv9iltveUg1uq0hrpo1_500.gif

The room at Pop Century was only about $80 less than the room at CBR, and as I just said, I've already paid for it. Should I just plan on staying at CBR for one more night (even if it's just me) so that I don't have to deal with changing rooms?gigtb

Noted -- still more than I have! It was just the best deal available, and my friends liked the sound of "Caribbean" over "Coronado." Very scientific.
Hey, everyone has to have a reason, right?!? I haven't been to Coronado but it doesn't appeal to me either.... I am with your friends.

(probably with online check-in so we do't have to worry about check-in after a day at the parks? Does anyone have experience with this?)
We have done online check-in the last 2 trips. It's fantastic! If you do online check in and give them your cell phone number, they will text you your room info and a map with the location. No need to go to the check in desk, which at Caribbean beach is know if nice. The Guest House isn't really near any of the rooms. Highly recommend it for staying there!

The room at Pop Century was only about $80 less than the room at CBR, and as I just said, I've already paid for it. Should I just plan on staying at CBR for one more night (even if it's just me) so that I don't have to deal with changing rooms?gigtb
Personally, I would stay one more night at Caribbean Beach. What are the chances that everyone might want to stay that night anyway? We haven't moved rooms, but I have read about folks having there luggage moved for them, which has been hit or miss with getting it all to the next hotel. (think airport bags...) So, if you stick with it, at least you can drop it off at converge and then pick it up at the next resort. But there is some value in not having to pack up your stuff again. But that is just me. A money savings is valid reason to move!

HI!
So exciting! I just decided to book my daughter for our birthdays in August too! Mine and my daughter's birthdays are just a few days apart. Will be booking at the end of the week.

Hey, everyone has to have a reason, right?!? I haven't been to Coronado but it doesn't appeal to me either.... I am with your friends.

We have done online check-in the last 2 trips. It's fantastic! If you do online check in and give them your cell phone number, they will text you your room info and a map with the location. No need to go to the check in desk, which at Caribbean beach is know if nice. The Guest House isn't really near any of the rooms. Highly recommend it for staying there!

Personally, I would stay one more night at Caribbean Beach. What are the chances that everyone might want to stay that night anyway? We haven't moved rooms, but I have read about folks having there luggage moved for them, which has been hit or miss with getting it all to the next hotel. (think airport bags...) So, if you stick with it, at least you can drop it off at converge and then pick it up at the next resort. But there is some value in not having to pack up your stuff again. But that is just me. A money savings is valid reason to move!

I ended up switching the rooms when I was able to get a lower rate! Now, it's only $20 more to stay at CBR that last night, which is going to be so much easier. Thanks for the info about online check-in; it seems so easy, and I'd love to get to go straight to the parks that Sunday (my birthday!)

HI!
So exciting! I just decided to book my daughter for our birthdays in August too! Mine and my daughter's birthdays are just a few days apart. Will be booking at the end of the week.

So fun! I can't think of a better way to celebrate. My mom and I are taking a mother-daughter trip (not to Disney) this fall, and I'm so excited. Where are you thinking about staying?

Probably Pop. My daughter loved it there. She has some challenges, and she's more comfortable of going where she already knows. And I am good with that. Pop is fun.

Probably Pop. My daughter loved it there. She has some challenges, and she's more comfortable of going where she already knows. And I am good with that. Pop is fun.

The last time I was there, I stayed at Art of Animation, and we loved it. On our non-park day, we wandered around to Pop, and it looked so fun. The pools looked amazing!

Thinking about food: Saturday - Monday
One of the things that I love reading on the Disboards are Dining Reports, and since one of my favorite things to do is eat, planning where to eat at Disney has been a super fun pastime so far. We decided to go after the 180-day mark, but I've been able to find reservations at most of the places that we want to go, even if I'm still working on finding the ideal times.

The plan thus far?

Saturday (Still figuring it out)

So, I land at around 11, and the M sisters won't be arriving until around 2 or 3, depending on how early they get up in the morning. I'm thinking about going to check-in at our free off-site hotel (thanks work travel points) and going to Disney Springs for the early afternoon. It will allow me to wander around and grab something quick for lunch? However, Frontera looks delicious and Jock Lindsay's looks fun.

My other option would be to go to the Boardwalk and wander around there -- I just don't know if it will be hard to not go into a park if I'm that close? Help?

That evening, once the Ms arrive, we'll be monorail hopping to start the trip! EKM really wants to try a lapu lapu, and I think Trader Sam's looks amazingly fun, so we'll start at the Poly! Probably hang out at Tambu waiting to get into Trader Sam's?

After the Poly, we'll jaunt over to the Grand Floridian, and either go to the bar at Mizner's or Citricos. Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't know much about either, but I have fond memories of the GF (it was the first place I've ever stayed).

We will wrap up the evening at the bar at the California Grill, with flatbreads and more drinks and hopefully fireworks views. At that point, I feel confident we'll need to uber back for a hopefully restful night's sleep...

Sunday (Epcot): It's my birthday, and I'll eat what I want to!

So, when we realized that we'd be there on my birthday, I realized that I wanted to turn thirty-fun by eating and drinking around Epcot! I mean, #yolo?

I attempted to eat and drink around the world the day after doing the Princess Half a few years ago, and we weren't strategic about it; I feel like I can do better this time. We'll hopefully rope drop Epcot (or closely get there) because I've never been on Soarin', and I think that's the best time? First reservation is at 11:30 at San Angel Inn, where we will have tacos and chips and margaritas to kick off the day. From there, we'll start rotating around the world, and I want to hit all the highlights:

• Schoolbread in Norway
  • Grapefruit Schbeer in Germany
  • Frozen plum wine in China
  • Pretty much everything in France
  • I spent a summer in Oxford, so I love a good Snakebite
What am I missing?

We have a 5:30 pm recipe at Via Napoli because I feel like I'll want to be inside AC and eat pizza and drink sangria/take a break from bebopping around. After dinner is over, we'll finish the World Showcase and hopefully still be standing for Illuminations.

Monday (MGM/Disney Springs)

I'm anticipating that we'll be moving a little slowly after Sunday's indulgence, so this is our half day at MGM/pool afternoon/evening at Disney Springs.

We have a lunch reservation at 50's Prime Time, which the Ms chose over SciFi, and I don't think I've ever been there, so I'm down.

At Disney Springs, I do want to see Jock Lindsay's and maybe have a drink or two there. Where else is there that's fun for a "happy hour"? We have an 8 PM reservation at Homecomin', so it's a very real possibility I'll have fried chicken for two meals that day.

That's it for today! Next time, I'll talk through Tuesday (Magic Kingdom); Wednesday (Animal Kingdom); Thursday (Solo Magic Kingdom Adventures)! Happy Easter!

However, Frontera looks delicious and Jock Lindsay's looks fun.
I have been to Jock Lindsay's the drinks are great. We didn't get any food but it all sounds good!

• Schoolbread in Norway
  • Grapefruit Schbeer in Germany
  • Frozen plum wine in China
  • Pretty much everything in France
  • I spent a summer in Oxford, so I love a good Snakebite
What am I missing?
There is so much!!!! I personally love the gelato macaroon sandwich! I want to try the brioche ice cream sandwich! But I guess that falls under everything in France! ha!

We have a 5:30 pm recipe at Via Napoli because I feel like I'll want to be inside AC and eat pizza and drink sangria/take a break from bebopping around. After dinner is over, we'll finish the World Showcase and hopefully still be standing for Illuminations.
Yum! You will def need to roll back to the hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter