I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your help! Do you know if automatic retweets are working, or do we need to do them manually as well?

There hasn't been a retweet for points in a while. The one on Sunday required an trivia question answer included in the tweet, so the automatic retweet app wouldn't work for those kinds. I still see my app auto retweeting the Marriott posts, just not sure if it will work to give credit until they offer another post for points.

Hello all :) First time posting here...

I'm just starting to research "manipulating" credit cards for points/rewards. Have a few questions... First of all, I've done this to some extent but not as thought out and strategic as most of you all :) We opened a Disney CC a few years ago for that bonus. DH and I each have business US Bank cards that let us earn 3x points in certain categories (we utilize that a good bit). Opened an SPG amex for the bonus points last spring, we got 5 nights at dolphin out of that and have earned more. The primary cards we use (US Bank CC), I redeem for those points for US Bank Rewards Card. $250 rewards card for 30k points. Our points add up faster because of 3x categories. We try to run a lot thru the cards. I would say we get a $250 card every 3-6 months just depending on use.

I'm thinking there is probably a better card to be using, or I need to keep swapping just to earn the bonus points. However, the more I research the more confused I get.
Need a little guidance...and I think the main hangup is this: we don't fly, so we don't need points for airfare and the best cards/rewards/bonuses seem to be for travel.

Additionally, we normally rent DVC at DW, do a condo or house at beach or mountains...so even hotel stays aren't that beneficial. I mean we could make it work, but when we go to the mountains as a family we would prefer a cabin over a hotel room.

As far as flying....here's where we're at. We are an 8hr drive from DW. We have flown once, found if we have a flight with a layover (even just a quickie) we can drive in almost the same time. Wouldn't mind if we could get a direct flight. We would fly out of CLT (Charlotte). Southwest looked like a good card for points but they don't do direct flights from CLT to MCO. American Airlines does direct flights but I've seen not so good things about trying to redeerm their rewards for flights. We don't need to fly anywhere else (one day I want to get to Hawaii, but that's long-term, DH wants kids to be older).

Maybe there is a way to use airline points for other rewards but still for a good value? Or wWhat is a good card/cards for earning points on business and everyday purchases that provide a good redemption value (for gift cards or cash back)?

I actually just signed up for the chase freedom for myself. I'm curious about the Chase Rewards and what sort of things you can redeem for? I was thinking of also applying for the sapphire preferred or business ink, I was reading on points guy that you can move points back and forth and they work together well??

Anyway, sorry this post is so long! A little overwhelmed and need to be pointed in the right direction :) TIA

Anyone familiar with booking Swan/Dolphin using UR? The non-refundable rate at the Dolphin for the night of Oct 21 has higher total taxes on a lower base rate then the refundable rate. Using CSR points. Non-refundable $209.56 plus $49.97 taxes for 17392 points. Refundable $247.67 plus $25.75 taxes for 18228 points.

I was thinking maybe the non-refundable rate has the resort fee included? It doesn't give details about the resort fee. On both refundable and non-refundable, it has the disclaimer about extra taxes or fees can be collected at the resort. So I guess does anyone have any experience with this? I have the refundable rate booked for now as it's only 836 more points and gives me the option to rebook if it goes down.

Only a few more days and DH will get his CSR bonus points! Question for those more experienced with UR - if we want to book something (through the Chase UR portal) worth more than his points, is it possible to pay part points and part cash and then later switch to covering the full thing with points? (I plan to get a CSP in December when I'm under 5/24, but don't really want to wait that long to book). Not really sure how this works and trying to figure out which hotels to book with UR for our France trip. Thanks!

I actually just signed up for the chase freedom for myself. I'm curious about the Chase Rewards and what sort of things you can redeem for? I was thinking of also applying for the sapphire preferred or business ink, I was reading on points guy that you can move points back and forth and they work together well??

You guys sound a bit like us in our traveling...we tend to rent houses or condos rather than staying in hotels and at WDW, we used to be DVC point renters. We do fly though and love SW airlines.

Chase Freedom is strictly a cash back card so you will want to pick up one of the travel cards so that you can redeem your rewards at a higher rate for travel. Both the Preferred and the Ink redeem at 1.25% meaning your points are worth 25% more when taken as travel rather than cash back. You can move the points between cards so anything earned on the Freedom can be moved to the Preferred or Ink and redeemed for higher amount. Or you can even move them between you and your dh and pool all in one place.

I will say...we used to be DVC renters but this last trip, I was able to book dvc villas through the UR travel site for less than what it would have cost me to rent points. We ended up cancelling that reservation and staying at a different resort but the option was certainly there.

Does anyone know with CSP when I should see my 50k bonus show up where it shows points earned on next statement? I just met my $4k in spending this week and my statement closes in two weeks. Hoping I will have them after the statement closes.

Can i ask a question about which credit card to open for cash back? I just opened the Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa and will get $200 signing bonus for $1000 spent first three months. I got a TD Bank offer today i don't think I'll do, $150 for spending $500 first 90 days, it's only 1% cash back, i don't think I'm interested in that. Anyone know a 2% cash back card i can look into?

Hello all :) First time posting here...

I'm just starting to research "manipulating" credit cards for points/rewards. Have a few questions... First of all, I've done this to some extent but not as thought out and strategic as most of you all :) We opened a Disney CC a few years ago for that bonus. DH and I each have business US Bank cards that let us earn 3x points in certain categories (we utilize that a good bit). Opened an SPG amex for the bonus points last spring, we got 5 nights at dolphin out of that and have earned more. The primary cards we use (US Bank CC), I redeem for those points for US Bank Rewards Card. $250 rewards card for 30k points. Our points add up faster because of 3x categories. We try to run a lot thru the cards. I would say we get a $250 card every 3-6 months just depending on use.

I'm thinking there is probably a better card to be using, or I need to keep swapping just to earn the bonus points. However, the more I research the more confused I get.
Need a little guidance...and I think the main hangup is this: we don't fly, so we don't need points for airfare and the best cards/rewards/bonuses seem to be for travel.

Additionally, we normally rent DVC at DW, do a condo or house at beach or mountains...so even hotel stays aren't that beneficial. I mean we could make it work, but when we go to the mountains as a family we would prefer a cabin over a hotel room.

As far as flying....here's where we're at. We are an 8hr drive from DW. We have flown once, found if we have a flight with a layover (even just a quickie) we can drive in almost the same time. Wouldn't mind if we could get a direct flight. We would fly out of CLT (Charlotte). Southwest looked like a good card for points but they don't do direct flights from CLT to MCO. American Airlines does direct flights but I've seen not so good things about trying to redeerm their rewards for flights. We don't need to fly anywhere else (one day I want to get to Hawaii, but that's long-term, DH wants kids to be older).

Maybe there is a way to use airline points for other rewards but still for a good value? Or wWhat is a good card/cards for earning points on business and everyday purchases that provide a good redemption value (for gift cards or cash back)?

Anyway, sorry this post is so long! A little overwhelmed and need to be pointed in the right direction :) TIA

I agree that the value of points/rewards are best for travel redemptions, but for some people a straight up cash back card makes the most sense and always offers the most flexibility. In that situation, I offer up these two cards for consideration (note, the BoA card really only makes sense if you qualify for the Preferred Rewards program). I don't have either one...yet. :)

http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/bank/visa-signature-card#features 3% cb first year, then 2.5%; $59 annual fee waived 1st year

https://secure.bankofamerica.com/applynow/welcome.go 2% travel/dining (3.5% if Platinum status), 1.5x everywhere (2.625% if Plat), $95 annual fee, has $500 sign up bonus now for 3K/90days spend

Does anyone know with CSP when I should see my 50k bonus show up where it shows points earned on next statement? I just met my $4k in spending this week and my statement closes in two weeks. Hoping I will have them after the statement closes.

I actually had to contact Chase SM'ing this week about a bonus and they told me it could take a month to show up even as pending. Mine haven't taken that long before though.

Only a few more days and DH will get his CSR bonus points! Question for those more experienced with UR - if we want to book something (through the Chase UR portal) worth more than his points, is it possible to pay part points and part cash and then later switch to covering the full thing with points? (I plan to get a CSP in December when I'm under 5/24, but don't really want to wait that long to book). Not really sure how this works and trying to figure out which hotels to book with UR for our France trip. Thanks!

You can definitely pay part points/part cash but I don't think you can go back and apply points later. I think you'd have to rebook.

Yep, you should see the bonus post on your statement closing date. That's been my experience.

You guys sound a bit like us in our traveling...we tend to rent houses or condos rather than staying in hotels and at WDW, we used to be DVC point renters. We do fly though and love SW airlines.

Chase Freedom is strictly a cash back card so you will want to pick up one of the travel cards so that you can redeem your rewards at a higher rate for travel. Both the Preferred and the Ink redeem at 1.25% meaning your points are worth 25% more when taken as travel rather than cash back. You can move the points between cards so anything earned on the Freedom can be moved to the Preferred or Ink and redeemed for higher amount. Or you can even move them between you and your dh and pool all in one place.

I will say...we used to be DVC renters but this last trip, I was able to book dvc villas through the UR travel site for less than what it would have cost me to rent points. We ended up cancelling that reservation and staying at a different resort but the option was certainly there.

Thank you for the reply. Very helpful, particularly regarding booking a DVC Villa (at a good rate) thru the UR Site. I think this is the missing link lol! I've read about people booking the regular resort rooms. I just wasn't sure if the prices/price per point cost via UR would be competitive with an AP discount or cost of renting DVC. Sounds like they are? I appreciate your help! Oh...you mentioned getting DH in on it, haha. So when I signed up for the Freedom earlier today, I saw there is a $100 referral...can I refer DH and get an extra $100 cash back?

I agree that the value of points/rewards are best for travel redemptions, but for some people a straight up cash back card makes the most sense and always offers the most flexibility. In that situation, I offer up these two cards for consideration (note, the BoA card really only makes sense if you qualify for the Preferred Rewards program). I don't have either one...yet. :)

http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/bank/visa-signature-card#features 3% cb first year, then 2.5%; $59 annual fee waived 1st year

https://secure.bankofamerica.com/applynow/welcome.go 2% travel/dining (3.5% if Platinum status), 1.5x everywhere (2.625% if Plat), $95 annual fee, has $500 sign up bonus now for 3K/90days spend

Thank you for these suggestions! I'm going to explore the Chase Ultimate Rewards site a bit, if that doesn't look like a good fit, I will look into these for sure. Thanks!

Made my "budget" Vegas trip happen for my family of 4 using points and miles. We are going in February 2018 for a quick 4 night trip. I had some travel bank funds ($200) in United thanks to my AMEX Platinum airline reimbursement credit so roundtrip tickets for 4 people from PHL to Vegas was $600.00 out of pocket. Used my 2 free night Hyatt certificates to book 2 nights at the Delano/Mandalay Bay in a suite. Used 60,000 ihg points from the IHG credit card bonus I just got to book a night at the Venetian /Palazzo in a Bella suite. I do have to pay resorts fees but I'll take it.

I need one more night and I have Chase UR points to burn but I don't want to book an expensive night anywhere since we arrive late that night (so kids can go to school day of flight). May just transfer points to Hyatt to book a Hyatt place for 5,000 UR.

Sounds awesome! I was just talking to my wife about how much I miss Las Vegas -- Disneyland for adults, but our little girl might be getting to an age where she might really enjoy the Cirque shows like KA, O, or even The Beatles LOVE.

Question on Chase price protection. I know it is a benefit of the CSR, but does it also apply to the Freedom Unlimited? If so, can someone explain how one initiates a claim? TIA.

ahhh Yes equifax! (I'm losing it) thanks for sharing your advice- experian has their own app to monitor?
Yep. Experian App and the free package is CreditWorks Basic and will give you a FICO & Experian report every 30 days as well as credit monitoring and alerts (I think that means they notify you if there's a change to anything like a hardpull on your Experian account).

You should see them pending in your UR points for your next statement in about a week and a half. If they show up there they'll post with your next statement.

in a way you can but you lose out on the extra .5. Once the points kick in, redeem it for statement credit?

They should show it pending on the UR website. should be a big junk of your pie chart too!

@kayteekt Like what @platamama said, you would find high percentages for strictly cash back. on top of the 2 cards you can also considered other cards.
1) Discover card - 5x rotating categories. They can be similar to the Chase Freedom but they sometimes arent. I heard if you redeem for gift cards, you get a better value out of your points.
2) Citi Double cash - 2x on everything.
3) Blue Cash Preferred - 6x on grocery stores. up to 6k. $95AF
3.5) Blue Cash Everyday - 3x on grocery stores. No AF.

Do you qualify for a business card?
1) Ink Cash - 5x on office supplies. this can expand out to a bunch of things. 2x on others.
2) SimpleCash Plus Amex - 5x on office supplies as well. 3x on others.
3) Ink Preferred - big bonus. 3x on stuff.

Question on Chase price protection. I know it is a benefit of the CSR, but does it also apply to the Freedom Unlimited? If so, can someone explain how one initiates a claim? TIA.

i believe u file any claims with eclaimsonline.com. YMMV on approval. im still waiting on my travel cancellation claim i made 3 months ago. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter