I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I'm coming up on my second sabbatical and I'll have another full month off (also have my normal vacation and sick time!) in '26. Husband and I were talking "tropical". Bali or Tahiti... maybe even Fiji, but I don't think that I want to be that far away from home with senior animals.
Hit me with your best shots from IAH. Thinking 2-3 travel days, 14 days there, 2-3 days travel back. Then the rest of sabbtical with family. Need to start planning. Thanks in advance. :)

(Been to all Hawaiian islands, going to Europe this summer, been to USVI, BVI, Bahamas, DR, Mexico, Colombia, Tortola, St. Marteen (Saint Martin), Puerto Rico.

I'm coming up on my second sabbatical and I'll have another full month off (also have my normal vacation and sick time!) in '26. Husband and I were talking "tropical". Bali or Tahiti... maybe even Fiji, but I don't think that I want to be that far away from home with senior animals.
Hit me with your best shots from IAH. Thinking 2-3 travel days, 14 days there, 2-3 days travel back. Then the rest of sabbtical with family. Need to start planning. Thanks in advance. :)

(Been to all Hawaiian islands, going to Europe this summer, been to USVI, BVI, Bahamas, DR, Mexico, Colombia, Tortola, St. Marteen (Saint Martin), Puerto Rico.
Galapagos? That would fit your "tropical" criteria. (Although beaches definitely aren't on par with places like Tahiti or Fiji.) Each island is super unique. And it's much, much closer to travel to South America, likely only 1 travel day or 2 if you need to position. We leave from Miami a lot to fly direct to Ecuador (my husband is from there originally). And if going to Ecuador, you could do Galapagos, and also add places like Mindo (super cool cloud forest), Quito (very historical, capital city, "middle of the world"), etc. if you wanted to see other things. There are many beautiful places in the country!

Thanks so much for this suggestion. It does look like it'd be perfect for us. Bummed it's not bookable with Hyatt points anymore.
When I go directly to their website, I can book for April 2025 and they have availability, but when I go through the Chase portal, I can only select up to April 7. Out of curiosity, to compare pricing, I put in dates in February and there is availability on the Los Altos website, but the Chase portal says Sold Out for the same dates. Is there a limited number of rooms bookable through the portal? If that's the case would you all suggest that I book one night at a time as they become available on the portal? Are rooms typically released at midnight?

EDIT: Looks like Los Altos is part of The Edit by Chase Travel, formerly known as the Luxury Hotel & Resort Collection and can't be booked with URs. "Luxury Hotel and Resort Collection properties are also reservation-only bookings for Chase Sapphire Reserve cardmembers, and can't be booked with points."

Back to the drawing board.
I have booked The Edit hotels using the CSR with points. Just did so for a trip this past March.

I do believe sometimes they sell or allocate blocks/batches of rooms to third parties, so I think that's why you might see availability directly but not with the third party.

ETA: When I choose some random dates in Nov and Dec, it allows me to book Los Altos on points.

Last edited:
Okay am I screwed? I have a bunch of autopays set up w/ my CIU #1 so I didn't want to cancel it yet (as I have some pending), but I need a new card like a month ago. So last night I applied for what would be CIU #3 and Ink #5. I got the dreaded review statement. Is there anything I can do?

Okay am I screwed? I have a bunch of autopays set up w/ my CIU #1 so I didn't want to cancel it yet (as I have some pending), but I need a new card like a month ago. So last night I applied for what would be CIU #3 and Ink #5. I got the dreaded review statement. Is there anything I can do?
Did you apply for 2 cards?

DH got the review but it was approved a few hours later. It was his Ink #4. could be OK.

We usually keep one of each open when we apply for a new one. Cancelled an older CIC recently, so he had a CIU, CIP, and the newer CIC open when he applied for the new CIU.

Galapagos? That would fit your "tropical" criteria. (Although beaches definitely aren't on par with places like Tahiti or Fiji.) Each island is super unique. And it's much, much closer to travel to South America, likely only 1 travel day or 2 if you need to position. We leave from Miami a lot to fly direct to Ecuador (my husband is from there originally). And if going to Ecuador, you could do Galapagos, and also add places like Mindo (super cool cloud forest), Quito (very historical, capital city, "middle of the world"), etc. if you wanted to see other things. There are many beautiful places in the country!
I've only ever thought of the Galapagos when my daughter was in HS and they were doing a trip there. Good one!! It's been a long while since I've looked into the Galapagos.

Costa Rica would be very close for you. Only a 3.5 hour direct flight.

My daughter has done SA 4 times since 2020 - Columbia, Galapagos and some more of Ecuador, Peru (Machu Pichu)SP? and usually flies out of Dulles 'very' early morning, sometimes to Miami, then another flight, maybe on Latham from there. I 'think' she's flown direct into El Salvador and then another hop from there and various ways, airports and airlines. She's usually looking for the least expensive plus using points and cash. Plus on some trips it's up to 4 people. She's very into quantity of trips, and likes and knows quality but will not sacrifice going for lack of luxury.

On her trips to Cambodia, Shanghai she did the biz or first.

I've only ever thought of the Galapagos when my daughter was in HS and they were doing a trip there. Good one!! It's been a long while since I've looked into the Galapagos.

Our friend @calypso726 did an upscale (compared to DD's budget trip) a couple years ago. She did some reviewing and pics on here. I want to go !!!!

Did you apply for 2 cards?
I applied for CIU #3, leaving 1 and 2 still open. Plus 2 CIC's. Normally I get the review and then I get approved a few minute later. So far I've heard nothing :(
DH got the review but it was approved a few hours later. It was his Ink #4. could be OK.

We usually keep one of each open when we apply for a new one. Cancelled an older CIC recently, so he had a CIU, CIP, and the newer CIC open when he applied for the new CIU.
I have 2 CIC's and 2 CIUS trying for #3. I can't close one CIU as it's the newest and I didn't think closing a CIC would have helped. DOH! I should have closed the CIC.

I applied for CIU #3, leaving 1 and 2 still open. Plus 2 CIC's. Normally I get the review and then I get approved a few minute later. So far I've heard nothing :(

I have 2 CIC's and 2 CIUS trying for #3. I can't close one CIU as it's the newest and I didn't think closing a CIC would have helped. DOH! I should have closed the CIC.

4 open seems to be when approval gets very iffy. There are approval DPs, but more denials. If denied, I think you want to wait at least 30 days to try again. Closing then reconning doesn't seem to work as far as I've seen.

Next month our flights will come available for our Europe Tour Trip next May. Will be flying into Austria and back home from Zurich. I have MR's UR's. Cap One - what is the best site to use to find the best options. I see you guys mentioning points.me - I just created an account. Do you guys use the plan you pay for? Are there other sites I can use too? Want to be prepared as needing 4 tickets (Just regular economy is fine unless there is some super good deal on Biz Class or 1st Class).

Next month our flights will come available for our Europe Tour Trip next May. Will be flying into Austria and back home from Zurich. I have MR's UR's. Cap One - what is the best site to use to find the best options. I see you guys mentioning points.me - I just created an account. Do you guys use the plan you pay for? Are there other sites I can use too? Want to be prepared as needing 4 tickets (Just regular economy is fine unless there is some super good deal on Biz Class or 1st Class).

You can access point.me for free through Amex for their transfer partners here. You can also create a free Bilt account for access for Bilt transfer partners.

We are going to Tahiti, Moorea, and Bora Bora in 2 months! Search for the past reviews from @wanderlust7 and @calypso726 I took a lot of inspiration from their posts. I can't speak to the experience yet, but from a points perspective we used mainly URs for flights and HH for hotels. There are 3 major Hilton resorts in French Polynesia: Hilton Tahiti, Hilton Moorea, and Conrad Bora Bora. We blew through 1.2 million HH points for this trip. :)

Our friend @calypso726 did an upscale (compared to DD's budget trip) a couple years ago. She did some reviewing and pics on here. I want to go !!!!

Oh this was such an amazing trip! I'd love to go again and if/when I do it will be budget friendly. I did enjoy sailing on the Celebrity Flora and having that experience was awesome. But I think I would have enjoyed it just as much flying in and island hopping which is what I'd probably do down the line.

We are going to Tahiti, Moorea, and Bora Bora in 2 months! Search for the past reviews from @wanderlust7 and @calypso726 I took a lot of inspiration from their posts. I can't speak to the experience yet, but from a points perspective we used mainly URs for flights and HH for hotels. There are 3 major Hilton resorts in French Polynesia: Hilton Tahiti, Hilton Moorea, and Conrad Bora Bora. We blew through 1.2 million HH points for this trip. :)

Oh how wonderful! It's truly lovely! The food can leave a bit to be desired though. I will highly recommend Allo Pizza in Cook's Bay if you feel the need. It was recommended to me by a friend that visited before we did and it was excellent advice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter