I Am Doing This - TDL

Okay, cool. It sounds like something some of the travel sites like to hype up as this really odd thing but in practice isn't that big of a deal. I'll probably carry a small packet of tissues just in case. Why does the toilet play music?

The music is to block out noises from bodily functions. :)

I've read that many bathrooms don't have soap or paper towels. Although I don't remember this at all from my trip 8 years ago...I guess I've blocked it out. It boggles my mind why that is, for a culture so concerned with cleanliness. I plan to carry around a small bottle of soap and a handkerchief (lots of cute ones to buy there).

I'm pretty sure that all bathrooms have soap. The vast majority don't have paper towels, but that's because they do have those fancy Dyson hand drying units.

Again, I normally carry hand sanitizer with me anyway.

When it got through customs in Narita i went to the Toilet and i pressed a button the music came on i laughed id forgotten how great the toilets are.

Jealous even though I only recently came back! Japan is awesome! No need for toilet paper but many bathrooms we went too lacked paper towels or dryers, I noticed many Japanese woman carried little cute hand towels around with them. Just take hand sanitizer.

Didn't see any shows apart from Mermaid and Aladdin and fireworks one night which were frozen themed. The fireworks aren't really that spectacular (compared to US) and were cancelled most nights due to weather, the parades are very cool and the crowds are VERY into them (use the time for rides haha). Food everywhere is great, loved the Gyoza bun at Disneysea, the alien mochi at DL, we loved Magellans and Queen of hearts banquet.

I prefer Kyoto to Tokyo I love the mix of modern and old, staying at the ryokans, and we found trains were fine (download the app Hyperdia) highly recommend a wireless router which you can hire at the airport and provides you with internet sweet internet that prevents you from being lost :D JR railpass was worthwhile for us as we had a trip to hiroshima as well.

Didn't find language to be much of a barrier because the Japanese are so polite and helpful (many came up to us to practice their english)! Learnt a couple very basic phrases and used mime and then used google translate for other things, we did find occasionally we knew just enough japanese to get us into trouble :D

Okay, I have one more question for all you pro travelers. Cash. How much should I bring and how/where when should I convert it? I have read that one of the best ways is to actually use ATM's at the post offices or 7-11, but I'll be going right from the airport to my hotel at Disney. I'm sure I can manage, but I was just wondering if anyone had any tips regarding this. Thanks!

Okay, I'm still very tired after so much travel yesterday, and it is very good to be home, but I loved my time at TDR. I'm not one to do trip reports, but I'll leave some thoughts (maybe some pics later).

Immaculate: I think they do a pretty good of keeping the US parks clean, but TDR is like a whole new level. Really the whole country of Japan is very clean, but add the Disney touch to that and it is literally spotless. A CM came to wipe up a spilled soda within seconds...and it spilled on the GROUND. Amazing.

The Resort Liner is now approacing the station: How plush! The TDR monorail is so big and comfortable. I saw a CM moving from car to car cleaning the inside of the windows. It has upholstered seats (like the real subways in Japan) and so much room. It'll be hard to ride the WDW monorail after this!

Kingdom of Kingdoms: Tokyo Disneyland has the best layout of all the parks. All the paths are so wide and open! Overall, it's the best "Magic Kingdom" style park, though I still prefer some aspects of the other ones, like Main Street USA. The World Bazaar is cool how it's all covered in, but lacks the charm of Main Street. Still, as a whole the park is excellent.

Greatest Theme Park in the World: This became our mantra. My sister, who is no theme park super-fan and had no idea what to expect, literally dropped her jaw upon emerging into Mediterranean Harbor. The place is huge and so amazing. The Hotel Miracosta is unbelievable and right in the park. Everything consistently impressed as we made our way through. Particularly...

Terravator Going Down (or is it up?): Journey to the Center of the Earth is one of the best Disney rides ever! The theme always appealed to me (the Jules Verne area is one of the main things that brought me here) but I didn't read much about the ride since I don't like to spoil things. Well, upon boarding I noticed the track and realized what we would be in store for. My sister was oblivious. Besides the amazing dark ride portion, when it takes off it is mind-blowing! We did it at least 6 times.

Stormrider Forever!: I also wanted to ride this attraction since it closes forever next month. I really liked it. It's like Soarin meets Star Tours with cool in-theater effects. It shows a little age in the film and lack of 3D, but I wish they'd just enhance it instead of making it Finding Nemo themed (has that ever worked?) I got a nifty postcard commemorating it's run and an unused fastpass, suitable for framing. "Stormrider Forever!"

Compass of Your Heart: The catchy tune form Sinbad's Storybook Adventure will be stuck in my head for a very long time. I love Chandu! What a wonderful ride and walk-on every time.

Under the Sea: The all indoors Mermaid Lagoon is very impressive! I only watched King Triton's Concerto here but it was a good show. The area is really amazing and fits in nicely with the Greatest Theme Park in the World.

R-E-S-C-U-E: I met the Rescuers. That is awesome! They really respect the classics over there and I like that. They really like the Aristocats too. Marie is exiled from the Magic Kingdom, but she thrives at TDL.

Wing of Wishes: The beautiful airship installation for the 15th anniversary celebration was a joy to behold, and all over the beautiful merchandise. The Year of Crystal Wishes was just kicking off on our trip and everyone was lined up many rows deep for the show. Honestly, the show was not that impressive and overly long, but had a catchy theme. I got a nice ceramic thing with the image on it that I think is a trivet, but I will hang on the wall. Which brings me to...

Please Take my Money: Merchandise. Where is it? It is different there in that most shops have the same things in them, despite the theme. There were no Nautilus themed items at Vulcania Gifts just the same 4 character t-shirts and 15th anniversary stuff. It was a little disappointing, though I liked what I got (the trivet and a key chain with Friday's date on it for the 33rd anniversary of TDL (only put in the stores that day; it was not there on Wednesday). I'd have bought more, but there wasn't much. I kinda wanted a popcorn bucket, but I didn't think it would fit in my luggage (and I'd have been right!). I could have spent a LOT of money in this department if they had the goods. The locals must get it all from somewhere!

Saving the Best for Themselves: The Kirin Apple Tea Soda was so good and I wanted to buy more of it. I never found it on the rest of my trip and finally found out why: It is exclusive to the Tokyo Disney Resort. Man, I'll miss it, but at least I had some every chance I got.

Anyway, it was a great trip. I was in Tokyo and Kyoto a bit too. I saw a bunch of temples - nothing too exciting. ;) Seriously, while it was all very wonderful and educational, it was TDR that stole the show for me. I guess that was to be expected, but so many people would look incredulous when I would say I was spending 3 days at Disney in Japan. Oh well, I don't regret it one bit! Thanks for all the help I got here with planning and all. I suppose it's back to the good ol' US Parks...for now.

Stormrider Forever!

Last edited:

I met the Rescuers.That is awesome!

I also got to meet Bernard and Bianca on my first trip to DisneySea. I have the biggest smile on my face in that photo!

I agree with everything else you said, except for Stormrider (which I wasn't a huge an of) and the merchandise (I'm always overwhelmed by the huge variety of merchandise on offer and found that it can vary from store to store quite a lot).

Sounds like you had a blast! We're going to TDL/TDS for 2 days next March! Did you happen to learn any Japanese before your trip? Just wondering how it was getting around not knowing the language. I'm planning on learning at least the basics before we leave haha

Sounds like you had a blast! We're going to TDL/TDS for 2 days next March! Did you happen to learn any Japanese before your trip? Just wondering how it was getting around not knowing the language. I'm planning on learning at least the basics before we leave haha

I learned zero Japanese. It really wasn't a problem. The people don't speak it, but they are helpful and will do their best. All important announcements are done in English as well, and that goes for Disney and like Tokyo Station and the airport and such. It was no issue.

I also got to meet Bernard and Bianca on my first trip to DisneySea. I have the biggest smile on my face in that photo!

I agree with everything else you said, except for Stormrider (which I wasn't a huge an of) and the merchandise (I'm always overwhelmed by the huge variety of merchandise on offer and found that it can vary from store to store quite a lot).

I getcha on Stormrider. It's nothing truly special, but I like the concept and enjoyed the ride quite a bit. Changing it to Finding Nemo seems like the wrong call...see The Living Seas and Submarine Voyage in Anaheim. I mean, maybe they will do better...I hope they do anyway.

The Merch just wasn't there. It was almost all 15 anniversary stuff. There was nothing with the Nautilus or Journey or Mysterious Island at all. I think there was some Tower of Terror stuff, and a few others. LOTS of Duffy and friends stuff. Still, it was not varied like the US Parks.

Last edited:
Oh man, I didn't realize they were closing Stormrider. D: It's one of my favorite rides in the park. Oh well. I'm really glad you got to experience it and enjoy it! Sounds like you had an amazing time!!

Did you happen to learn any Japanese before your trip? Just wondering how it was getting around not knowing the language.

On my prior trips to Japan, it has been very easy to get around without knowing any Japanese. There were only a couple of very limited exceptions (e.g. once ending up at a "suburban" train station where all the information was only displayed in Japanese), but they were still able to be resolved.

However, out of respect for, and a desire to embrace, the local culture, I try to learn and use the standard day-to-day pleasantries (e.g. "excuse me", "please", "thank you", "hello" and "goodbye"). And I normally carry a print out of common phrases (e.g. "where is the toilet") that I can resort to if necessary.

Instead of typing all of that, I should have just included a link to this incredibly handy reference: http://tdrexplorer.com/17-basic-japanese-phrases-for-tokyo-disney-resort/

This is also good, although I've never had any trouble ordering food in Japan since they normally have menus with pictures or plastic models to point to:

http://tdrexplorer.com/20-japanese-phrases-for-dining-at-tokyo-disney-resort/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter