How to cut packing down for a week trip!

I lay out my clothes on the bed before I pack them. Then I go through and put 2-3 things back in the closet. Then I make myself do that again until I'm down to what I really need. This forces you to choose "either this or that" until what you're left with is what you really want or need to take.

I usually pack about 3-4 weeks before a trip. I iron each piece of clothing and pack in the packing cubes. They do not wrinkle and are not wrinkled when I take them out of the cubes. If I iron all my clothes and roll them, will they still not be wrinkled when I take them out of the cubes if they are rolled/packed for 3-4 weeks?

If above is yes, how do you roll?

Thanks.

Wear your heaviest / bulkiest everything. So, wear your sneakers, pack your sandals. Wear (or tie round your middle) a sweater, wear your jeans - pack shorts / linen trousers / dresses which take up less space. Pack clothes that are on the verge of you getting rid of (for kids, that are ALMOST too small, for adults, you know those worn ones that should be chucked - that way, you won't mind leaving them behind when you buy new ones / other souvenirs.

I do laundry if we're there more than four days. Plus, we usually go in Nov-Dec so we need to pack more layers and such. We Fly from the mid-west so we bring wear our coats/jeans/tennis shoes on the plane to help with the bulk.

I roll clothes, easier to pack stuff in that way, also like a few packing cubes, you can fit lot in those- as for wrinkles, pack stuff that unwrinkles itself after hanging, or be like my DH and iron when you get there (he's crazy lol) choose multi use items,and use them multiple times- wear your heavier stuff, pack the lighter stuff.

I lay out my clothes on the bed before I pack them. Then I go through and put 2-3 things back in the closet. Then I make myself do that again until I'm down to what I really need. This forces you to choose "either this or that" until what you're left with is what you really want or need to take.
I should have taken this advice in July on a trip elsewhere. Esp at Dis where no on knows you. Go put half of the clothes back. Nobody cares.

I've been told to use those space saver bags. Does anyone have experience doing this? Does it wrinkle your clothes? Specifically the costume dresses?

I've been told to use those space saver bags. Does anyone have experience doing this? Does it wrinkle your clothes? Specifically the costume dresses?

I've used them on several trips (both Disney and non-Disney). I think they do cause some wrinkles in things that are prone to wrinkles no matter what. I've become more careful when putting things in the bag -- making sure they're laying flat before deflating the bag. And I don't put "heavy" items like jeans (not needed at Disney but used on other trips) in with wrinkle prone items. For us, the wrinkles aren't a big issue. We travel to Disney in late June when it's hot and humid. Honestly, if anything is wrinkled when we put it on in the morning, the wrinkles are gone (thanks to sweat and/or air humidity) by the time we get to a park. :D I also take a small bottle or two of Downey Wrinkle Releaser spray and use that to take care of anything that looks too wrinkled to me. Just remember that when you use the bags, you'll be able to put more stuff in a suitcase than you usually do and they will get heavy quickly. It's not a big deal for us as we drive, but if you're flying you need to keep that in mind.

Yes, like Bluezy said, it does cause wrinkles, especially in clothing prone to wrinkles but it also depends on how long they have been tight sealed in the bag. I pack the day before trips so my items are not sealed for more than a day. When I arrive I open the bags to let them fluff back up.

I have used the space saver bags, and yes, clothes can get wrinkled. I count that as small matter, because they do help with packing.

I take 2 suitcases. since there are 2 of us traveling, and we are allowed a 50 pound suitcase each. I pack the smaller suitcase with the heavy items, and the larger suitcase with the lighter items, such as clothing. That way I do not go over the 50 lbs. per suitcase, and I know which suitcase has the item I'm looking for. I of course pack clothing into a knapsack, or carry on bag too.

I would also recommend a mid-week trip to the self-service laundry. Not sure where the laundry room is at BWV, but at BLT we have used our afternoon break to do laundry while relaxing by the pool.

I've had really bad luck with wrinkles and space saver bags. I would recommend giving them a try before your trip to see if your tolerance for wrinkles is high enough to use the bags.

I subscribe to the color matching method, Choose items that can easily be mixed and matched. Heavy shoes on feet, DH wears his deck shoes so only flip flops go in carry on. Me my deck/athletic shoes, sandals & flip flops in the suitcase. We carry on a rain style jackets (Columbia) super light weight, they are the fold up ones. DH has one of the fancy back backpack that protect your lap top and iPad and go pro, plus there is a ton of room for other items, for me I use my Vera Bradley bag( grand tour or weekender), DH has less liquid items so I "share" his baggies.

I also lay out everything that we must have, and then any extras all on the bed. Then lay out the bags, and work from there. I started doing this a few years ago and could not believe how much more I/we could take. I have a list of what activities and plans for our trip then make sure we have what we need, as I go down the list I throw them in the suitcase, then I start actually packing...arranging and rearranging for maximum space. Then add in any extras.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter