How early do we need to arrive for our flight out of MCO?

If you have TSA Pre-Check, Global Entry or Clear, you can cut it a wee bit closer

So, what do we think "wee bit closer" might be for MCO (with Pre-check)? For a 6:45pm flight (in August, on a Fri eve) I was considering catching an Uber at 4:30...

Is 6:45 departure time, or boarding time? If it's SWA, you should be fine if that's your boarding time, but pay attention to which gates your flight leaves from on any other airline. To be on the safe side, I'd leave the resort 30 minutes earlier.

So, what do we think "wee bit closer" might be for MCO (with Pre-check)? For a 6:45pm flight (in August, on a Fri eve) I was considering catching an Uber at 4:30...

It is Friday Traffic SO get UBER at 4pm

What is the problem with arriving at the Airport early ?

I've experienced long delays at TSA (like over an hour from when they look at my boarding pass to when I am ablet o put my shoes back on) a few times in Orlando, so I always try to leave a lot of extra time. I don't want to get stressed that the line is going to make me miss my flight.

There's also some kind of construction going on with the shuttle that takes you from the TSA area over to the other building, and I read that for certain gates or certain times of day you might have to wait for a bus. As soon as I see that the alarm bells in my head start going off and I know I want to be there even earlier than usual.

That specific date is the end of:
  • Veterans Day weekend
  • Jersey Week
  • Food and Wine Festival
Anyone is welcome to ignore travel expert/airline/TSA recommendations and arrive (potentially much) closer to departure time. Expect long security lines. Airlines will not accept responsibility for missed flights if the passenger doesn't allow the recommended time.

You'll also have people arriving from cruise ships (although many would take earlier flights).
And Orlando business travelers getting to their destinations for Monday morning.

It is Friday Traffic SO get UBER at 4pm

Actually I was thinking 3:30. :)

What is the problem with arriving at the Airport early ?

People would rather spend that extra 15 or 20 minutes riding Space Mountain or eating a Dole Whip than sitting in an uncomfortable chair at the airport gates.

I've ran into some horrible TSA lines at Orlando International. Now if I make it thru in less than 30 minutes I'm a happy gal.

Friday night, with all of that traffic, and with the construction at the airport, I'd leave at 4 pm at the absolute latest.

We have TSA Pre Check. No matter what airline we fly, Delta, American or Southwest (the only 3 we fly) we leave Disney (or Universal) 2 hours before our flight boards (so 2.5 hours before it departs). Our flights always depart between 6:00 and 9:00 PM, usually Monday or Tuesday. When we fly from Disney we use RAC but from Universal we also check our bags curbside. In our last 10 flights home we've still made it to our gate with time to sit before we board. Security lines with TSA Precheck has never taken us more than 15 min in all our trips.

To give an idea of how long our most recent drives have been, Lyft shows our trips back to MCO
in June at 6:00 was 31 min.
in April at 5:00 it was 48 min.

We also have TSA PreCheck. I travel way too much for work, and I don't like sitting around in the airport. We usually arrive at MCO one hour before scheduled departure -- add 15 minutes or so if we have to check luggage. I recognize this would make a lot of people nervous or uncomfortable. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it if you have small children. But I bring it up only as a data point. If you got into an Uber at 4:30, as you suggested in a previous post, I have no doubt that you will make your flight with time to spare. It wouldn't be a problem. That said, I wouldn't do anything that would cause you unnecessary angst or stress.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter