Hotel advice please!

erinch

Parsing the same ee cummings poem for 20 years
Hello! I have just learned it is possible that I might be able to head for DLR for a quick trip June 26-28, before a weeklong conference in Salt Lake City. I am trying to scramble together ideas about hotels and would love some advice.

As some background, both my DH and I grew up in SoCal. When I was a a kid in Redlands , you got to pick between Disneyland or Knotts Berry Farm on your birthday, and when the E ticket coupons were gone, they were gone. I was there the week PoTC opened, as the most amazing electronics ever, and my 1976 high school grad night was at Disneyland, where they closed the Monsanto Journey through the atom, because it was a boring , long dark ride for 2.

We have lived a long time in PA, and are APs at WDW. In fact we were just there, staying at Hard Rock, AKL and the Vistana. I was last at DLR in 1991, and am excited to make a trip even if it it a quick one. My DH is recovering from a broken hip. The WDW trip wasn’t easy, and he isn’t up to flying. He is lovely enough to encourage me to go by myself. For some reason, I frequently dream about the Alice in Wonderland and Canal boat rides from some childhood memories not with me when I am awake.

All of that history is to say, I need advice on where to stay. Right now, GCH and Disneyland hotel are both above 700 for rooms. Since it is just me, that seems over the top.

As a child, I remember driving past the whimsical motels on Katella, which were far too expensive for us. Now I am old, and I’d like a quick, safe walk to the parks, a more sedate hotel that is more for grownups, with a good bed, and air conditioning that won’t trigger my allergies. I’m reading a sea of reviews, and am rather lost. It looks to me like any of the convention hotels will be half the rate of the on property ones, but I can’t figure out any priority. The conference I am going to on the 28th will be a grueling one, and I’d like a calm room before then.

Thoughts? Thank you!

I did see the discount thread, but thought I had better pick a back up.
Any advice on which conference hotels? Things are a little different since, uhh, the 70s.

For solo trips where I just need a place to shower and sleep, I like the Tropicana or the Desert Inn & Suites on Harbor. They are both right at the entrance to DLR and an easy walk to and from the parks.
Park Vue would be a good place too.

Here is a Map of the places close to the crosswalk in to DLR.
1714796313584.png

I agree about checking out the discounts. It would be great if you could stay on property.

I've stayed at the Best Western Anaheim Plus Inn twice and it's a great hotel. Right across the street from the Disneyland entrance, about a 2 minute walk. Comfortable beds and no problems with air conditioning. Hot breakfast.

If not BW, Candy Cane Inn is very nice. It's about a 15 minute walk and has a shuttle,too.

FYI...The last time I stayed on Harbor the cars were super loud at night and there were guys yelling at people with megaphones at the park entrance so I'm not staying on Harbor again.

Have a great trip!

I'm doing a solo trip and I'm staying at castle inn and suites- honestly anything on harbor directly across the street will do you well:

Hojo
Courtyard
Tropicana
Plaza
Best western theme park
Dessert inn
Anahiem hotel
Castle inn and suites
Fairfield

Can’t go wrong with Candy Cane…it’s probably the most reminiscent of your childhood days PLUS you can’t go wrong with the shuttle ride after long day in the park. If you want to Uber, it’s about $8-9. Just completely remodeled, fantastic breakfasts. IMHO Desert inn is disgusting, old furnishings, stinky rooms. Even the closeness isn’t worth being miserable in the rooms.

Just came back and there were NO beggars, megaphones, or street racers at that time. The street preacher was up closer to esplanade area. Nice not to have to encounter the usual homeless in the area, although a couple were asleep at the bus stops. They seem to congregate there.

Anyone stayed that Sheraton at the park or JW Marriott recently? I have bookings for both and they cost the same. Sheraton is very recently renovated and has the nicest pool. JW Marriott seems a bit fancier and is right next to garden walk. We have a car. Sheraton has some issues lately with protestors and noise. Don't know about JW Marriott. We are 2 adults and 2 teens. Hard to determine which one to keep now. (3rd back up booking is for Ayres orange which is 15 dollars cheaper/night but includes breakfast and free parking) We'll be at Disneyland for 3 days. I take it Ayres orange would be most people last choice out of the 3? (because of location)
Help welcome!

I feel like staying on Katella can be a bit of a walk. So if I were you, I'd likely stick to Harbor. I think Candy Cane, like others said, might be most reminiscent of days gone by, even with the new updates.

If you want a bit closer, we really liked Park Vue when we stayed there in 2022. The walk was actually closer than the Disneyland Hotel. (And I just like the look for it from the outside. Not sure why the pic got so blurry when I uploaded it but you get the idea.)

park-vue-inn.jpg

And you can see here...you just walk up to the crosswalk by Ihop and go right over.

parkvuemap.jpg

If you want to stay near the convention center, I would stay at the Westin. It’s a gorgeous hotel and newer than the Hilton and Marriott. We enjoyed our stay there and would stay again.

If you want to stay on Harbor, as many others have stated, Candy Cane is pretty awesome. Dedicated shuttle, free parking and a really great breakfast included. It was fully remodeled recently and they did a great job on the remodel. Staff are very friendly too.

We have room tours of both plus walking videos to the parks to give you an idea of how far away they are. Have a great trip!

The Westin Anaheim Resort Room Tour | Disneyland | Convention Center #thewestin #anaheim

Candy Cane Inn Standard Room| Disneyland | Anaheim | Renovated Room Tour |

You'd have to tell us which hotels your conference has arranged deals with.
My conference is in Salt Lake City, I was asking about conference style hotels, as opposed to motel type with window air conditioners ( allergies) or older rooms .

It’s been a long time but I’m pretty sure that ParkVue and BW Park Place Inn has the old fashion room window AC units.
Maybe they have resort photos or amenities listed on their website .
Good luck .
I admit my favorite was always Best Western Park Place Inn for the location !

Be sure to wander around the new Villas They look extravagant. Wish I could plan a trip someday.

Have you priced the recent updates for the Pixar Place formerly Paradise Pier?
That would be a great location. They might have AAA discount .

My conference is in Salt Lake City, I was asking about conference style hotels, as opposed to motel type with window air conditioners ( allergies) or older rooms .

OOH...I missed the park about the AC. Yeah...many of the closest places are motel style with doors to the outside and wall AC units.

Maybe people will have good advice as far as hotel style (indoor hallways, better AC.) We've only ever stayed in the other type.

I remember the days when whimsy, cute and quirky mattered instead of mold and dust filters!

It's pricier than the motels, but Courtyard Marriott on Harbor sounds like it might be good for what you want. It's very close to the crosswalk that goes over to the DLR entrance. I think you probably know this already, but just mentioning that the DL entrance is no longer located on Katella but is on Harbor.

Edited to add: just got back from a 4-day trip with friends. We stayed at the Castle Inn on Harbor. We had a 2-room suite as there were 6 of us. Most of my friends ended up getting a taxi outside the gate on Harbor because they couldn't face the walk back after walking all day in the parks. I wouldn't stay there again. I found it very dated and poorly set up, which wouldn't have been as big a deal if it hadn't been such a long walk.

I also stayed at the Majestic Garden (used to be a Sheraton hotel) for Adventureland Day. It was pretty cheap, comparatively speaking, and had a dedicated shuttle. It isn't really walkable but it is a hotel with dining etc.

Last edited:
You'd have to tell us which hotels your conference has arranged deals with.
Oh, okay. I've only seen the phrase "conference hotels" applied to ones that have special discounts for convention attendees. So, as others have noted, that will rule out most of your options on Harbor Blvd.

Last edited:
In that case I'd probably go with the Westin, as @crystal1313 mentioned, or the Courtyard Marriott @DizMe suggested. Those are both very nice.

I like the Hyatt House on Katella and Harbor, it's about a 15-20 minute walk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter