Has the monorail been behaving lately???

The problem is that even if they wanted to buy new monorail cars who even sells them any more?

They should consider reconstructing the track with a standard rail track and buying light rail vehicles so it is much easier to maintain and keep in tip top shape.

When I stayed at the Contemporary Resort more than 20 years ago, it seemed like they would stop running the monorail every time it rained. I'm not sure if it was because of a lightning threat, or just because it didn't run well in the rain (these were the old-style cars where the CMs had to close the doors by hand).

I remember getting stuck for about 10 or 20 minutes once, above Future World. I'm not afraid of heights so I enjoyed the view. I do worry about getting stopped for longer due to an overactive bladder, though. I just have to remember to stop in the restroom before I board.

Agreed. Though there are some incidents with the monorail I must just be very lucky cause I have yet to have an issue riding on it every day when on vacation at DW the last 5 years straight.
Make mine 32 years straight with no prolonged stops ever. But as you can see from the posts above, regular, normal operations do not make for enough drama, so it is placed out there like it is always the case. Any vehicle you ever ride in has the possibility of breakdown. From Bicycle, to cars, to boats, to trains, to Monorails even roller skates. If your particular phobia is problematic enough then avoid the Monorails, there cool, but, they are not absolutely necessary. The odds are that nothing will happen, but, with that as with life, there are no guarantee's.

The problem is that even if they wanted to buy new monorail cars who even sells them any more?

They should consider reconstructing the track with a standard rail track and buying light rail vehicles so it is much easier to maintain and keep in tip top shape.
Oh, I'd bet that Bombardier would be more then happy to pump some out. They are nothing more then subway trains with a different undercarriage.

Also there was a time that the Monorails were the only transportation between the TTC and MK. Now it is as much an attraction as a transportation vessel. Light rail would not have the same impact in the same place as the Monorail.

Make mine 32 years straight with no prolonged stops ever. But as you can see from the posts above, regular, normal operations do not make for enough drama, so it is placed out there like it is always the case. Any vehicle you ever ride in has the possibility of breakdown. From Bicycle, to cars, to boats, to trains, to Monorails even roller skates. If your particular phobia is problematic enough then avoid the Monorails, there cool, but, they are not absolutely necessary. The odds are that nothing will happen, but, with that as with life, there are no guarantee's.

I saw a broken down bus once. Felt bad for all those on board.
Then came across a strange situation where traffic was backed up on a ramp leading to World drive. Many cop cars, incident involved a bus. But all I saw was cops wrestling a person. I was driving, so that was that. Sure something can happen with all forms of transportation. But unlike a train 30 feet above ground, when push comes to shove, we can exit a stopped vehicle.

It does seem we are encountering more monorail issues. It isn't always the case, but it is a recent occurance. What I encountered last week was my first in 35 years. So sure, they are rare...but sooner or later, it may happen to anyone. I just wish Disney had a better plan B that could be executed more quickly. Because when a major transportation artery is shut down so suddenly, it does impact thousands of guests. For them, that occurrence is significant even if it is the only time it ever happens. So while the odds are in favor if this breakdown roulette not happening, it stinks when the ball lands on 00.

I supposed I could have refrained from posting.

Then came across a strange situation where traffic was backed up on a ramp leading to World drive. Many cop cars, incident involved a bus. But all I saw was cops wrestling a person. I was driving, so that was that. Sure something can happen with all forms of transportation. But unlike a train 30 feet above ground, when push comes to shove, we can exit a stopped vehicle.

It does seem we are encountering more monorail issues. It isn't always the case, but it is a recent occurance. What I encountered last week was my first in 35 years. So sure, they are rare...but sooner or later, it may happen to anyone. I just wish Disney had a better plan B that could be executed more quickly. Because when a major transportation artery is shut down so suddenly, it does impact thousands of guests. For them, that occurrence is significant even if it is the only time it ever happens. So while the odds are in favor if this breakdown roulette not happening, it stinks when the ball lands on 00.

You are so right about the difference between a bus breaking down and a monorail car stopping. Just for the few minutes we were stopped outside of the Contemporary, I felt utterly trapped and helpless. With a bus, a car, etc., I wouldn't be thrilled, but I'd have options.

And you're right. Maybe it IS rare, but that's little comfort to the RARE person who does get stuck. I don't think the fact that it doesn't happen often will make them feel any better.

I envy the people that would not freak out; I hope they have a little compassion for people who would panic.

They are still having periodic issues and breakdowns. When we were at WDW in March, we were meeting my sons at the Polynesian for an adr at Ohana. They were coming from the Magic Kingdom on the monorail and ended up getting stuck between the transportation center and the Polynesian for about 40 minutes. Apparently it was a different monorail train that broke down over by the Grand Floridian, so all of the trains were stopped where they were. It would have been nice if they could have let the other trains make it to the next station, but due to safety concerns it wasn't possible. Two nights later we attempted to board a monorail at the Contemporary and there was a huge line. We decided to walk over to Magic Kingdom and noticed a Monorail train creeping along the track at about a tenth of the normal speed. Not sure what the issue was there.:)

You are so right about the difference between a bus breaking down and a monorail car stopping. Just for the few minutes we were stopped outside of the Contemporary, I felt utterly trapped and helpless. With a bus, a car, etc., I wouldn't be thrilled, but I'd have options.

And you're right. Maybe it IS rare, but that's little comfort to the RARE person who does get stuck. I don't think the fact that it doesn't happen often will make them feel any better.

I envy the people that would not freak out; I hope they have a little compassion for people who would panic.

Well I for one have compassion for people who would panic on a stopped monorail and not really sure what posts on this thread seemed to show lack of compassion. Maybe you could quote them for me. I personally have being lucky enough to not get stuck for a long period of time on the monorail. For me personally it is worth the rare risk of getting stuck for an extended period of time for the experience of riding the monorail. Yup I find the monorail an experience and not just transportation. The more I can stay off the buses at DW the better. I am not a huge fan of buses anywhere at anytime not just DW. For those who have a phobia that could come to reality on the monorail I would certainly say they shouldn,t go on it but I didn,t think that was what this thread was about.My two cents was directed towards those new to Disney and the monorail to let them know that the monorail is a great experience and I beleive like many things on the Internet the frequency of extended breakdown of the MR is exaggerated.

Well I for one have compassion for people who would panic on a stopped monorail and not really sure what posts on this thread seemed to show lack of compassion. Maybe you could quote them for me. I personally have being lucky enough to not get stuck for a long period of time on the monorail. For me personally it is worth the rare risk of getting stuck for an extended period of time for the experience of riding the monorail. Yup I find the monorail an experience and not just transportation. The more I can stay off the buses at DW the better. I am not a huge fan of buses anywhere at anytime not just DW. For those who have a phobia that could come to reality on the monorail I would certainly say they shouldn,t go on it but I didn,t think that was what this thread was about.My two cents was directed towards those new to Disney and the monorail to let them know that the monorail is a great experience and I beleive like many things on the Internet the frequency of extended breakdown of the MR is exaggerated.
I was not directing my comments to anyone on this thread in particular, and I'm sorry if you took it that way.

I personally am surprised at the number of incidents being mentioned on this thread. If you think something is being exaggerated, you're entitled to your opinion, and I wasn't trying to invalidate that.

I was not directing my comments to anyone on this thread in particular, and I'm sorry if you took it that way.

I personally am surprised at the number of incidents being mentioned on this thread. If you think something is being exaggerated, you're entitled to your opinion, and I wasn't trying to invalidate that.

No worries at all. I really didn,t take what you said as bad as it may have seemed by my response. That is the problem with the Internet. Without being able to hear ones tone or see facial expression it is hard to get the whole picture. I just feel bad for people new to Disney who surely get scared off of certain things which may make them actually not decide to come for there first trip and miss out on the magic. FP+ panic as an example. I actually think mentioning if one has a certain phobia it is a good idea to consider what could happen on a vehicle like the monorail if you are the unlucky one who an extended breakdown happens to. So again no hard feelings at all. Just wanted to try to clarify where my post was coming from.

Well we saw the whole monorail system down when we went. I don't know if that is common or not but that was our experience during our single MK day. I doubt that anyone here really knows how frequently the monorails have issues.

I personally prefer the ferry and other boats anyway. It just wasn't the relaxing ferry ride that I've come to expect.

My monorail weirdness was in October. I was going to visit GF (it was my first Disney hotel so I visit each trip) and use its bus stop to go to DTD. Left MK, got as far as the Poly where it let people off and then they let it sit there with all the doors open. I waited a couple minutes, but when I saw all the employees walking off it too, I decided any bus stop would do and got off at the Poly. No idea what happened, I was the only person in my compartment and no communication was made. I had no idea where I was going and spent 10 mintues trying to find the bus stop. Looked up once outside and there it still sat.

I am irked to learn that on my upcoming Poly stay, the monorail will virtually be uselss on EMH mornings. They cut hours to it, but don't cut hotel price. A monorial hotel is pointless if you can't use the monorail. Considering changing to an Epcot resort since I can at least walk into Epcot while taking a bus for others.

My monorail weirdness was in October. I was going to visit GF (it was my first Disney hotel so I visit each trip) and use its bus stop to go to DTD. Left MK, got as far as the Poly where it let people off and then they let it sit there with all the doors open. I waited a couple minutes, but when I saw all the employees walking off it too, I decided any bus stop would do and got off at the Poly. No idea what happened, I was the only person in my compartment and no communication was made. I had no idea where I was going and spent 10 mintues trying to find the bus stop. Looked up once outside and there it still sat.

I am irked to learn that on my upcoming Poly stay, the monorail will virtually be uselss on EMH mornings. They cut hours to it, but don't cut hotel price. A monorial hotel is pointless if you can't use the monorail. Considering changing to an Epcot resort since I can at least walk into Epcot while taking a bus for others.
Or change to Contemporary so at least you're an easy walk away from the MK?

Obviously off topic, but location-wise, the Epcot resorts can't be beat. You're an easy boat ride away from DHS too. (You can walk there, but been there/done that, and won't make that mistake again. :scared:)

Unfortunately they do! That is why you will never see any additions to the Monorail line besides what is already there. When they run without problems it is fine, when they don't it is a nightmare.

City Monorails have passenger walkways along the track. At Disney it would ruin the asthetics beyond belief so they don't want to add them to the existing rails. That is one of the many reasons why there aren't more Monorails lines in the country.

Or change to Contemporary so at least you're an easy walk away from the MK?

Obviously off topic, but location-wise, the Epcot resorts can't be beat. You're an easy boat ride away from DHS too. (You can walk there, but been there/done that, and won't make that mistake again. :scared:)

DHS is a cool weather only walk for sure. Hadn't considered the CR.

It happens from time to time. I remember a few years back getting stuck on Monorail yellow at the Epcot station going back to MK, I think? The weather was getting pretty bad and I'm not sure what was wrong with it. Every now and then they opened the doors, allowing people to exit if they wanted, though I think that was more for testing the doors. So we weren't entirely stuck. They ended up towing the monorail and we had to run back to an AKL bus in the pouring rain. But it was actually a fun experience, somewhat. The friendly bus driver seemed to cheer everyone up and was stunned by the amount of people getting on the bus. This was the only time I ever got stuck on a monorail, or had any real trouble. From what I've heard recently, they're doing some track work so perhaps things are a little messy for the time being. Nothing that should ruin your trip, though the thought of being stuck for hours on end is a bit much.

As stated by lauradis, the WDW monorail system is currently going through rehab on its tracks so this may hence result in expected sporadic delays in the coming weeks and months. In regards to the monorail "stopping" on the beams mid-travel, this can happen for any reason and does not necessarily mean that there is anything wrong, sometimes it is just a matter of another monorail train occupying the station ahead, or following orders to slow down and increase distance between trains.. Just like any rail transportation system, there will always be unforeseen delays and the occasional mishap, it is no different from public transportation systems around the country, and at the end of the day I think that it is safe to say that the system is safe and continues to do its job and safely transport THOUSANDS of WDW guests daily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter