Fort Wilderness Newbie!

DisMomNCM

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! We are considering doing a split stay next February between Poly and either the Riviera or the new cabins at FW. Because availability for Riviera looks like it’ll be quite limited at that time, I’m assuming we will likely end up in the cabins.

With that being said, I have never even been to FW before, so trying to map this out feels daunting. I know everyone always talks about renting a golf cart…where exactly are you able to drive the golf cart to? How do you get to the parks- does FW have their own dedicated busses, or do you share with WL? Do you drive your golf cart to the bus station at the beginning of the day and then pick it up at the end of the day when you get back? Lol. Trying to figure out how feasible this plan is with a toddler in tow.

Fort Wilderness has boats to MK, buses to all the other parks. Though when I’ve stayed there I usually boat to MK then monorail to Epcot.

It usually shares with WL or CR depending on the time of day and park. But more busy times it will be sole resort on the bus.

For renting a golf cart (which do as soon as you make your reservation) you can drive to the pools, through the loops, to the settlement and outpost depots, which is where the park buses pick you up. Yes you leave the cart there.

There is also a dedicated bus between FW and WL that runs pretty frequently (used to be a walking path). There is also a dedicated boat between FW, WL, and CR (actually two boats going in opposite directions)

Edit: if you predominately do MK it’s super easy to get there. With the two boats (direct or go to CR and catch the monorail/walk). And doable to Epcot if you don’t mind taking 15-30 more mins.

This is super helpful, thank you!! Do golf cart rentals run out quickly? We wouldn’t be booking until the seven month mark.

That I’m not sure. I was able to book for the week of Thanksgiving on Tuesday. So I’m guessing 7 months in February should be easier than Thanksgiving.

Just an FYI on the boats between resorts: The blue route had been shut down for years, so there was no boat between Ft Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge, and Contemporary. They just resumed that boat service at the end of last year, but doesn't start until 3pm.

As for the golf carts - Ft. Wilderness is pretty spread out, and the internal bus can be on the slow side, so most that rent golf carts use them to drive to the external bus stops or boat launch areas when going to theme parks, and when going to the two stores or Pioneer Hall restaurant area. There are parking areas with some plug-in access for charging at these locations.

When staying at Ft Wilderness, the boats are by far my favorite transportation...so much so that I usually start my day with the boats because I find them so relaxing - rather than taking the Ft. Wilderness park bus to Epcot, DHS, or AK, I find myself preferring to take the boat to MK, then boat to another resort, and take that bus to the parks - because I feel like my day isn't off to the same relaxing vibe without the boat ride. Then having the golf cart to drive back to the cabin makes it even more relaxing (most of the time - I've had the occasional terrifying golf cart drive back in pouring rain with lightning raining down everywhere, during Florida summers when rainy season is in full bloom...I'm quite used to electrical storms since I am a Floridian and live down here, but still driving an electric vehicle through dense trees during an electrical storm feels a little risky!

Just an FYI on the boats between resorts: The blue route had been shut down for years, so there was no boat between Ft Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge, and Contemporary. They just resumed that boat service at the end of last year, but doesn't start until 3pm.

As for the golf carts - Ft. Wilderness is pretty spread out, and the internal bus can be on the slow side, so most that rent golf carts use them to drive to the external bus stops or boat launch areas when going to theme parks, and when going to the two stores or Pioneer Hall restaurant area. There are parking areas with some plug-in access for charging at these locations.

When staying at Ft Wilderness, the boats are by far my favorite transportation...so much so that I usually start my day with the boats because I find them so relaxing - rather than taking the Ft. Wilderness park bus to Epcot, DHS, or AK, I find myself preferring to take the boat to MK, then boat to another resort, and take that bus to the parks - because I feel like my day isn't off to the same relaxing vibe without the boat ride. Then having the golf cart to drive back to the cabin makes it even more relaxing (most of the time - I've had the occasional terrifying golf cart drive back in pouring rain with lightning raining down everywhere, during Florida summers when rainy season is in full bloom...I'm quite used to electrical storms since I am a Floridian and live down here, but still driving an electric vehicle through dense trees during an electrical storm feels a little risky!
Another question along the lines of the golf cart…what is it like driving through the resort at night with one? Is it well lit?

I am trying to wrap my head around arriving at the hotel at night (our flight would come in at 8pm), check in, and then get all of our things along with a five year old to our cabin. How does that work with luggage? How late does the internal bus system run?

Are golf cart rentals close to the check in?

Sorry for the millions of questions!!

The main road is lit well enough, plus the golf carts have headlights, so visibility shouldn't be a problem unless you have trouble with vision in dark.

If you rented a golf cart, you pick them up right at reception outpost - unfortunately I don't know how late you can pick it up as I usually arrive in early to mid-afternoon - if you're coming in very late, you might not be able to get the cart until the next day and would need to take the internal bus to your cabin loop.

I can't comment too much on that because I drive to Disney World, so when I check in, I have my car, drive it to the cabin, then take the internal bus back to reception to get my golf cart (depending on who I'm with - some friends or family may be able to get the cart while I drive the car over...on a few occasions I've stayed solo, so I have to do both separately.

I haven't been to the cabins since Covid, so I'm not sure if they changed the rules - but they used to take people to the cabins that were checking in from airlines who had no car in staff golf carts...and pick you up on check-out day too. Not sure if they still do - hopefully someone who stayed more recently can confirm.

The internal busses should still be running past midnight - they have to service people coming back from parks after close, as well as Disney Springs which is open late.

The main road is lit well enough, plus the golf carts have headlights, so visibility shouldn't be a problem unless you have trouble with vision in dark.

If you rented a golf cart, you pick them up right at reception outpost - unfortunately I don't know how late you can pick it up as I usually arrive in early to mid-afternoon - if you're coming in very late, you might not be able to get the cart until the next day and would need to take the internal bus to your cabin loop.

I can't comment too much on that because I drive to Disney World, so when I check in, I have my car, drive it to the cabin, then take the internal bus back to reception to get my golf cart (depending on who I'm with - some friends or family may be able to get the cart while I drive the car over...on a few occasions I've stayed solo, so I have to do both separately.

I haven't been to the cabins since Covid, so I'm not sure if they changed the rules - but they used to take people to the cabins that were checking in from airlines who had no car in staff golf carts...and pick you up on check-out day too. Not sure if they still do - hopefully someone who stayed more recently can confirm.

The internal busses should still be running past midnight - they have to service people coming back from parks after close, as well as Disney Springs which is open late.
Thank you! Rethinking our plans and will probably stay at FW the second half of our trip to alleviate any of these issues lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter