Fantasy or Magic?

MrsGir

Earning My Ears
Planning on doing our very first cruise next May. We are looking at doing 4 nights on either the Magic or Fantasy and can't decide which to pick. Both sail dates work for us and there is only a $20 price difference and the itinerary is the same. It will be me, husband, and 2 daughters who will be 4 and 5 at the time. Just wondering which one others would pick? Thank you!

Fantasy will have a little more on ship activities like mini golf, midship detective agency which is basically a scavenger hunt around the ship, aqua duck but a lot more people than the Magic

Last edited:
I have been on the Magic 5 times. Never the Fantasy, but on it's sister ship the Dream at least 3 times.

The Fantasy is a much bigger ship, so more space, more stuff and more people.

I love any Disney ship, as mentioned above the Fantasy fives you a few more perks, like AquaDuck and mini golf, plus a few more water features.

The Magai is easy to navigate and less guest. I would watch YouTube videos of both ships and trip reports here. You can not go wrong either way.

Have a fantastic first cruise!!! :smickey: :earsgirl:🚢😎

What specific itineraries are you looking at? I ask because if you mean May 2025, the Fantasy will be leaving for Europe on May 4, 2025...?

Meanwhile, next May the Magic will be sailing from Port Canaveral for the first time in many years (it's been a long time!) so it's a great opportunity to experience the Magic if you're looking to sail from PC.

What specific itineraries are you looking at? I ask because if you mean May 2025, the Fantasy will be leaving for Europe on May 4, 2025...?

Meanwhile, next May the Magic will be sailing from Port Canaveral for the first time in many years (it's been a long time!) so it's a great opportunity to experience the Magic if you're looking to sail from PC.
There is April 27- May 1 2025 4 nights Bahamas on Fantasy then the Magic does same itinerary May 7-11

Doing a cruise to Castaway Cay and Lighthouse Point?

Young Kids. The difference may be in the Kids Clubs area. Of which someone needs to offer advice for the small children.

I started with the small ships (Magic & Wonder) and prefer them for the reason that they are smaller. It is easier to get around.

Dining Magic: Animator’s Palate, Lumiere’s, Rapunzel’s

Dining Fantasy: Animator’s Palate, Royal Court, Enchanted Garden

The menus will be the same in both ships for the first two restaurants listed (even with different names). Both are a nice, more castle-like decor.

Magic’s Animator’s Palate is a big, blank white space that uses Disney cartoon clips to transform it to color.
Fantasy’s version is a darker color scheme, with the space more divided into smaller seating areas. The in-meal entertainment is Crush and friends, from Nemo, “swimming” around the room via large video screens. And interacting with the guests.

Magic”s Rapunzel’s Table is a lively Snugly Duckling setting, with a dinner show (10-15 minutes, perhaps). The highlight is that Rapunzel visits each table.
Fantasy’s Enchanted Garden is designed to remind you of the gardens at the Palace of Versailles (I think it’s like a conference dining room.)

I have been on the Magic 5 times. Never the Fantasy, but on it's sister ship the Dream at least 3 times.

The Fantasy is a much bigger ship, so more space, more stuff and more people.

I love any Disney ship, as mentioned above the Fantasy fives you a few more perks, like AquaDuck and mini golf, plus a few more water features.

The Magai is easy to navigate and less guest. I would watch YouTube videos of both ships and trip reports here. You can not go wrong either way.

Have a fantastic first cruise!!! :smickey: :earsgirl:🚢😎
YouTube videos are a great idea! Thank you :)

Your kids may be too small for the water ride on the Fantasy. If one isn’t tall enough and the other is, will that matter? There is no equivalent in the Magic. It has a ride that drops you down a tube.

There is April 27- May 1 2025 4 nights Bahamas on Fantasy then the Magic does same itinerary May 7-11
I suppose the Fantasy falls more into April than May but those are the ones we are looking at. Thank you!

Your kids may be too small for the water ride on the Fantasy. If one isn’t tall enough and the other is, will that matter? There is no equivalent in the Magic. It has a ride that drops you down a tube.
Oh that is a good point. I think it's 42 inches to ride if I remember reading right. I think my oldest would be right on the line

We have sailed the magic once and the fantasy 10 times. We would always pick the fantasy over the magic. Just a better ship to us.

Easter is April 20. The April cruise may have some spillover of increased guest count. May date ends in Mother’s Day.

I usually would pick early May over April. Less chance of a bunch of big kids. And the water has a little more time to warm up. Plus, it’s shoulder season for travel, so possibly lower travel costs (air, hotel).

Doing a cruise to Castaway Cay and Lighthouse Point?

Young Kids. The difference may be in the Kids Clubs area. Of which someone needs to offer advice for the small children.

I started with the small ships (Magic & Wonder) and prefer them for the reason that they are smaller. It is easier to get around.

Dining Magic: Animator’s Palate, Lumiere’s, Rapunzel’s

Dining Fantasy: Animator’s Palate, Royal Court, Enchanted Garden

The menus will be the same in both ships for the first two restaurants listed (even with different names). Both are a nice, more castle-like decor.

Magic’s Animator’s Palate is a big, blank white space that uses Disney cartoon clips to transform it to color.
Fantasy’s version is a darker color scheme, with the space more divided into smaller seating areas. The in-meal entertainment is Crush and friends, from Nemo, “swimming” around the room via large video screens. And interacting with the guests.

Magic”s Rapunzel’s Table is a lively Snugly Duckling setting, with a dinner show (10-15 minutes, perhaps). The highlight is that Rapunzel visits each table.
Fantasy’s Enchanted Garden is designed to remind you of the gardens at the Palace of Versailles (I think it’s like a conference dining room.)
Thank you! It's a stop on Nassau and Lighthouse point. We most likely will stay on ship in Nassau. For the dining how long would you say a dinner last? I'm wondering if they would sit better through a longer dinner if it was something like Rapunzel's or if it would end up taking longer since there is a show involved.

We sailed Magic in May and Fantasy in September.

I like the coziness of the Magic. I do not like the aft elevator location on the Fantasy (you go through the buffet to get to the pool deck if using that elevator set. Throws me off every time).

Easter is April 20. The April cruise may have some spillover of increased guest count. May date ends in Mother’s Day.

I usually would pick early May over April. Less chance of a bunch of big kids. And the water has a little more time to warm up. Plus, it’s shoulder season for travel, so possibly lower travel costs (air, hotel).
Oh that's a great point! We will definitely check out cost difference for flight/hotel. And I hadn't thought to look at Easter. Thank you

Thank you! It's a stop on Nassau and Lighthouse point. We most likely will stay on ship in Nassau. For the dining how long would you say a dinner last? I'm wondering if they would sit better through a longer dinner if it was something like Rapunzel's or if it would end up taking longer since there is a show involved.
All dinners are roughly the same length of time. And that is long… about 1 or 1.5 hours. We ask our servers for a quicker meal. But not noticeably longer with show.

They do seem to prioritize meals for families with children. The kids’ meals come out first.

Oh that's a great point! We will definitely check out cost difference for flight/hotel. And I hadn't thought to look at Easter. Thank you
I’m throwing out random things I would consider. I did no pre-planning for my first cruise. It was, hey, great price in Disney - in 3 weeks. And then went by car. (This was pre-Covid, so not so many people doing revenge travel).

I’m throwing out random things I would consider. I did no pre-planning for my first cruise. It was, hey, great price in Disney - in 3 weeks. And then went by car. (This was pre-Covid, so not so many people doing revenge travel).
They are all great points I hadn't considered. Thank you :)

Did you consider the cruises that stop at both Disney beach destinations? Castaway Cay and Lighthouse Point? Basically, a beach vacation. At this point, Lighthouse Point is an unknown. But I do see that the beach seems to be more open to the open ocean than it is on Castaway Cay.

Sometimes, we are limited by real life when picking holidays.

IMG_7490.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter