• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

Both Uber & Lyft run a basic background check on new drivers. It's nothing extensive, just a search of public records. I think they search driving records and criminal records, but I'm not sure exactly what's involved.
It's possible that backgrounds vary from market to market, although I think Uber is consistent statewide in Florida.

I drive part-time for both Uber and Lyft in Miami, and this is the background investigation I received with Uber:
  • Local criminal history check
  • Florida criminal history check
  • National criminal history check through FBI database
  • Florida Sexual Predator list check
  • National Sexual Predator list check
  • Dept of Homeland Security terrorist watch list check
  • Local and state driving record checks
  • Verification of vehicle registration
  • Verification of insurance
  • Extensive vehicle inspection (19-point inspection, very detailed) by an approved, ASE-certified auto service shop

Lyft does a very basic inspection of a car when the driver first signs up. They just have an experienced driver check that essential systems are working: doors, lights, seatbelts, etc. It's not a mechanical inspection, just a walk around. I don't remember Uber doing an inspection when I signed up. Neither company does any continuing inspections that I'm aware of (at least not in the Orlando market.)
Our market is different, and Lyft's system is a total mystery.
  • I don't know what kind of background they did, but it took a month (Uber's was 8-10 days).
  • The vehicle inspection was identical (actually the same inspection, by the same mechanic, at the same time).
  • We do not have the so-called "mentor" system with Lyft here, so nobody from Lyft (or Uber) actually inspected my car.

I don't know about Lyft, but Uber currently redoes the entire background/documentation/vehicle inspection process annually nationwide.

There is a new Florida law going into effect on July 1, 2017 that will require updates every three years, but I don't know whether that will change Uber's policy or not. I rather doubt it, for liability reasons.

Your primary protection is the driver rating system.
There is a lot of controversy about the validity of the rating systems, because there are way too many variables for these ratings to have much value. Consider:
  • About 50% of all riders do not rate drivers at all.
    • I had a very nice rider yesterday morning who left her purse in my vehicle. I returned it to her, she gushed her appreciation and gave me a $40 tip...but she did NOT rate me at all. Surely, she thought I was great -- I'm probably the best driver she's ever had -- but she's got more important things on her mind than giving a nonsensical rating. The tip was her rating.
  • A new driver has five rides. They started out with a 5.0 rating and have achieved 4 perfect 5-star ratings and one 3-star rating. What is their average? It's 4.6.
    • If they maintain that 4.6 rating for 50 rides or so, they will be fired.
    • Is that fair, based on such a low sample size? Probably NOT.
  • Two categories of riders typically give MUCH lower driver ratings -- drunks riding late at night (anything that went wrong during their day results in a low driver rating at the end of an unsuccessful evening), and riders who choose Uber Pool and Lyft Line services.
    • I drive 80% during the day, and never late-night, and I am opted out of Uber Pool. I have a very high 4.94 rating. Other drivers who are better drivers than I -- but drive late nights and accept Pool (you don't want to know what we call it!), have lower ratings than I do.
    • The Pool/Line low rating phenomenon is one of several reasons why most highly-rated, experienced drivers do not accept Pool/Line.
    • Just yesterday, Uber announced they were changing the ratings system for Pool because the numbers are so messed up.
After each ride, the rider has the opportunity to rate the driver from 1-5 stars, and add any specific comments.
True, and actually Uber's system encourages negative comments. The main thing riders need to understand is that these rating systems are nothing like "star ratings" for hotels. A 5-star rating is an A for a driver. 4 stars and lower is an F, and can cause the driver to lose their job.

Drivers also rate riders. In fact, with both systems, drivers are required to rate riders in order to close out the ride and get paid. The rider rating is displayed to the driver with your ride request, and most experienced drivers will not accept a ride from someone rated lower than 4.5-4.6.

The vast majority of drivers rate every rider 5-stars. In almost 1,000 rides, I have rated one rider 3 stars, and one rider 2 stars...and they both richly deserved those low ratings. The other 998 got 5-star ratings.

You always have the right to refuse a ride, or ask the driver to let you out before reaching your destination. You may be charged a cancellation fee, but you can appeal that if you have a good reason.
True. You don't have to, and should NOT, get into any rideshare vehicle (or taxi, for that matter) if you don't feel safe. Nobody -- not you, the company, nor the driver -- wants you on board if you are not comfortable.

Forget cancellation fees and "good reason." Are you going to put yourself in a situation where you don't feel safe to save $5.00 ??? I hope not!

If you don't feel comfortable, cancel. If you get charged a cancellation fee, appeal it and it will be refunded 100% of the time...guaranteed.

I drive part-time for both Uber and Lyft in Miami, and this is the background investigation I received with Uber:
Extensive vehicle inspection (19-point inspection, very detailed) by an approved, ASE-certified auto service shop

Our market is different, and Lyft's system is a total mystery.
  • I don't know what kind of background they did, but it took a month (Uber's was 8-10 days).
  • The vehicle inspection was identical (actually the same inspection, by the same mechanic, at the same time).
  • We do not have the so-called "mentor" system with Lyft here, so nobody from Lyft (or Uber) actually inspected my car.
Yes, the mechanical inspection is required in some markets (Tampa, for one) but not Orlando. I suspect it's being required by the county, so we'll wait and see how the new law (whose stated intent is to standardize requirements statewide) affects it.

Both Uber & Lyft run a basic background check on new drivers. It's nothing extensive, just a search of public records. I think they search driving records and criminal records, but I'm not sure exactly what's involved.

Your primary protection is the driver rating system.

That is the problem and that's why the Florida legislature (among others) are looking at this. Taxi regulations require much more stringent checks (fingerprints).

The driver rating system as a PROTECTION system is B.S.. Uber starts "talking to you" when your rating is at about 4.7 stars and terminates you after a couple weeks at 4.6. All of the accounts of assaults by active Uber means that by their own rating system those people had at least a 4.6 rating. How are you supposed to use the rating system to vet a driver when there are no drivers below 4.6?

Stacy

That is the problem and that's why the Florida legislature (among others) are looking at this. Taxi regulations require much more stringent checks (fingerprints).

The driver rating system as a PROTECTION system is B.S.. Uber starts "talking to you" when your rating is at about 4.7 stars and terminates you after a couple weeks at 4.6. All of the accounts of assaults by active Uber means that by their own rating system those people had at least a 4.6 rating. How are you supposed to use the rating system to vet a driver when there are no drivers below 4.6?

Stacy

Alright,

Heres the answer: Uber does a background check conducted by a third party background company by the name of Checkr. It includes criminal and driving searches. In Orlando, the Checkr background used by Uber is considered acceptable to obtain the City of Orlando Vehicle For Hire Permit. Thats the red one you see on taxis, limos, etc. Orlando does not require any sort of fingerprint to obtain the permit and operate a cab, etc.

The City also has no rating system whatsoever for cab drivers although there is (supposed to be) a sticker with a phone number you can call the City at with any complaints.

Fact: The Mayor of Orlando, Mayor Buddy Dyer's largest campaign contributor is Mears Transportation (owner of Mears cabs).

Another fact: Walt Disney World is not wthin the City of Orlando. It is unincorporated Orange County. No cabs here are required to have any permits at all. Since Mears holds the WDW contract, they almost all do anyways. International Drive by the convention center is also unincorporated Orange County and there are gypsy cabs all over the place there.

Another fact: Due to its size, Mears is exempt from carrying insurance. I know, because one hit me once. Uber has a $1 million CSL policy for every ride.

Also, there is a rideshare law that has been passed by the Legislature (SB340) that the Governor has said he will sign. The effective date is July 1. Uber already meets the laws requirements, so it will be business as usual (except we can now get into airports like MCO easier).

Last edited:

Alright,

Heres the answer: Uber does a background check conducted by a third party background company by the name of Checkr. It includes criminal and driving searches. In Orlando, the Checkr background used by Uber is considered acceptable to obtain the City of Orlando Vehicle For Hire Permit. Thats the red one you see on taxis, limos, etc. Orlando does not require any sort of fingerprint to obtain the permit and operate a cab, etc.

The City also has no rating system whatsoever for cab drivers although there is (supposed to be) a sticker with a phone number you can call the City at with any complaints.

Fact: The Mayor of Orlando, Mayor Buddy Dyer's largest campaign contributor is Mears Transportation (owner of Mears cabs).

Another fact: Walt Disney World is not wthin the City of Orlando. It is unincorporated Orange County. No cabs here are required to have any permits at all. Since Mears holds the WDW contract, they almost all do anyways. International Drive by the convention center is also unincorporated Orange County and there are gypsy cabs all over the place there.

Another fact: Due to its size, Mears is exempt from carrying insurance. I know, because one hit me once. Uber has a $1 million CSL policy for every ride.

Also, there is a rideshare law that has been passed by the Legislature (SB340) that the Governor has said he will sign. The effective date is July 1. Uber already meets the laws requirements, so it will be business as usual (except we can now get into airports like MCO easier).

It doesn't already meet the requirements... the insurance for one is new. 99% of car insurances don't cover the driver while logged into the app. Uber only covers once you're on a ride. This leaves a huge gap in coverage that the law is trying to adjust for.

Also, I thought WDW was in both Orange and Osceola counties. Reedy Creek is in both counties.

Stacy

The Florida Legislature passed HB 221 on April 19, and the governor has already signed it. It goes into effect on July 1, and it spells out the statewide requirements for background investigations.

Fingerprints don't mean anything, as long as you firmly establish the identity of the person you are doing the background on. The background checker has social security, date of birth, addresses, drivers license copies -- probably 10 different means of cross checking. All fingerprinting does is add cost and slow the process down. It adds nothing to the certainty of the identity in this kind of situation.

In addition, Uber drivers (not Lyft, and not taxis) also have periodic photo identification checks.

When the driver tries to go online, they can't until they stop, take a picture right then on the Uber app and that photo is confirmed by facial recognition software before they are allowed to accept any rides. That ensures that the driver behind the wheel is the same person who went through the background check. (the various checks are listed above in post #1043). No taxi company has that level of random, everyday verification.

The driver rating system as a PROTECTION system is B.S.
I agree with you, as far as rider protection is concerned. It's a very unreliable method of evaluating quality, but I don't think it has anything to do with protection of the riders. That's just marketing kids talking.

Uber only covers once you're on a ride.
That is incorrect. Uber's insurance covers the driver whenever they are online with the Uber app. There are three different levels of coverage depending on whether the driver is online waiting for a ride, en route to a pickup, or has a rider in the car.

Lyft's insurance is the same.

The Senate used a Committee Substitute of HB 221. The bill was passed by both houses, and has already been signed by the governor. It goes into effect on July 1.

And yes, Uber's insurance (and Lyft's) already meets the statutory requirements under the new law.

This is such a great thread! I'm hoping that someone can answer my question/provide me with some advice. We're booked on Disney property both before and after a Carnival Cruise, and we're hoping to use Uber to get to and from Port Canaveral. Does anyone have experience with this or any alternative ideas? Our only concern is that we won't be able to find a driver to take us out there when we need to leave, or that there won't be anyone available at the port.

That is incorrect. Uber's insurance covers the driver whenever they are online with the Uber app. There are three different levels of coverage depending on whether the driver is online waiting for a ride, en route to a pickup, or has a rider in the car.

Lyft's insurance is the same.

No it doesn't. It only provides liability insurance in what is considered "Period 1" which is the time between logging in and getting a ride.

Leave your house and waiting for a ride: no collision insurance.

Log out for lunch and then back in? No collision insurance.

Finish a ride and waiting for a other? No collision insurance.

For liability insurance it is covered, that pays for the other guys' car. If your car is damaged you pay for it all out of pocket. Uber requires a MY 2007 or newer car. We aren't talking about $500 beaters people are driving around in.

Stacy

http://fox6now.com/2016/12/21/cover...er-runs-into-insurance-issues-after-accident/

http://floridapolitics.com/archives/230146-ridebooking-uber-legislation-2017

No it doesn't. It only provides liability insurance in what is considered "Period 1" which is the time between logging in and getting a ride.

For liability insurance it is covered, that pays for the other guys' car. If your car is damaged you pay for it all out of pocket. Uber requires a MY 2007 or newer car. We aren't talking about $500 beaters people are driving around in.

Stacy

http://fox6now.com/2016/12/21/cover...er-runs-into-insurance-issues-after-accident/

The new law does not require collision or comprehensive insurance; just liability, personal injury, and uninsured/underinsured coverage.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2017/221/BillText/er/PDF

Stacy

Some of this is correct, some is incorrect -- and you're citing one news story from Milwaukee, WI (which has nothing to do with Florida law or requirements) and another old story speculating on proposals for a law which have already been refined, passed by both houses of the Florida Legislature, and signed into law by the Governor!

But ALL of it is irrelevant for DISmembers considering transportation options at WDW...which is the purpose of this thread.

You're offering the same tired arguments that have been rejected by the Florida Legislature. They might be relevant in a debate between taxi drivers and rideshare drivers, but collision insurance means absolutely nothing for WDW guests. They are not responsible for repairing vehicles they ride in!

If WDW guests use Uber or Lyft, they are fully covered for $1 million, and they will have a driver who has met all of the stringent requirements of both the State of Florida and the TNC companies' own requirements.

Last edited:
Some of this is correct, some is incorrect -- but ALL of it is irrelevant for DISmembers considering transportation options at WDW...which is the purpose of this thread.

You're offering the same tired arguments that have been rejected by the Florida Legislature. They might be relevant in a debate between taxi drivers and rideshare drivers, but collision insurance means absolutely nothing for WDW guests. They are not responsible for repairing vehicles they ride in!

If WDW guests use Uber or Lyft, they are fully covered for $1 million, and they will have a driver who has met all of the stringent requirements of both the State of Florida and the TNC companies' own requirements.
Thank you! I was confused myself on why that discussion was relevant.

I assume if Im picking up there that people may be a tad damp. Never had an issue and some people do sit on towels as a courtesy.
Thank you! Yes, I'm bringing two separate towels for the sole purpose of seating on the way back. I really appreciate your response.
:thanks:

Thank you! Yes, I'm bringing two separate towels for the sole purpose of seating on the way back. I really appreciate your response.
:thanks:
I'm mulling over the best way to get from the WP to our resort later this month. I'm thinking we'll bring a change of clothes

I apologize but I haven't read all 50+ pages of the thread and this is probably already answered ---

Can you be dropped off at the Contemporary if you don't have a reservation (resort or dining)? I saw this statement on the first post -
"Dropping guests at resorts is also easy, but you still must be staying there or have a dining reservation."

But other posters (on different threads) are saying you can be dropped off at a resort without a reservation.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter