Drop off for someone with an ECV?

JoyAhead

Mouseketeer
Hello! I will need an ECV for our upcoming Disney trip. This is all new to me. I have an injured hip and despite my best efforts at PT still can’t walk more than a mile or two in a day without severe pain. I won’t need the ECV 100% of the time, but will need it. We are staying offsite. I’m looking at renting from an outside company, but am not sure how the parking lots at the Disney World parks work with an ECV. I do not have a handicapped decal so we will park in the regular lots. Will my husband be able to drop me off somewhere and then go back and park the SUV? Will he have to fully exit the lots and then return? Or will I have to ride the scooter all the way through the parking lot since it doesn't go on the tram? I’ve thought about just renting onsite as I can handle parking lot walking, but am worried there won’t be one available when I need it. Any advice??

It would be best to have and not rent at the parks, as you can have quite a long walk from where you park to the park gates. I'm hoping you are looking at an ecv that can come apart, and your husband is good with lifting the heavy pieces and putting it together?

Are you tied to staying off site? On site is so much easier with an ecv.

Last edited:
I do not have a handicapped decal so we will park in the regular lots. Will my husband be able to drop me off somewhere and then go back and park the SUV?

You will need to ride it thru the parking lot, there is no drop off point at the parks.

There IS drop-off at all parks. That might be a good option. Another option is to inform the CMs directing parking that you have an ECV and would like to park in the medical overflow lot — essentially next to HA parking. You will need to ride the ECV through the parking lot but this should make it a shorter distance.

You will need to ride it thru the parking lot, there is no drop off point at the parks.

It would be best to have and not rent at the parks, as you can have quite a long walk from where you park to the park gates. I'm hoping you are looking at an ecv that can come apart, and your husband is good with lifting the heavy pieces and putting it together?

Are you tied to staying off site? On site is so much easier with an ecv.
Yes, we are paid in full on an offsite rental house. My youngest has multiple severe food allergies, so we need a full kitchen to prepare his food daily.

I am looking as a smaller ECV and my husband is willing and able to help with loading/unloading.

There IS drop-off at all parks. That might be a good option. Another option is to inform the CMs directing parking that you have an ECV and would like to park in the medical overflow lot — essentially next to HA parking. You will need to ride the ECV through the parking lot but this should make it a shorter distance.
That is very helpful, thank you! I wasn’t aware there was medical overflow parking available without a handicapped decal. I will look into that. Thank you!

That is very helpful, thank you! I wasn’t aware there was medical overflow parking available without a handicapped decal. I will look into that. Thank you!
Def ask for medical overflow, just say you have a scooter. I was using a wheelchair before I obtained a parking permit and would request the overflow. It’s safer for you and the drivers to not have to take the ECV as far through the parking lot.

We do this all the time. DH uses an ECV at WDW but does not have a disability placard.

Follow the blue line when driving in (it’s almost always toward the right). When you encounter CM lot attendants let them know you have an ECV and ask if it is possible to park in medical overflow. We’ve only been denied once out of probably 50 arrivals.

Another one saying to ask for medical overflow. One thing I will say have someone watch child you mentioned as they walk to TTC with you as cars heading to handicapped area will be going by walkway. Been there and done it

Thanks everyone. I had been told no drop off, so I'm glad I was wrong. I deleted that info from my post as to not lead anyone else astray.

If you do park in the Medical parking lot, avoid the spots with blue painted lines. Those are the actual handicapped parking spots which you would need a handicapped parking permit to use.
You can park in any of the spots with white lines without worrying about getting a ticket

Another one saying to ask for medical overflow. One thing I will say have someone watch child you mentioned as they walk to TTC with you as cars heading to handicapped area will be going by walkway. Been there and done it
Thank you! My husband and teenager will also be there, so I’ll be sure someone hold his hand.

I don't know how far out your trip is but in my state you can request a TEMPORARY disability placard. My guess is they are just for these sorts of issues... you need it for now but not forever. They are red instead of blue and very clearly indicate the expiration date. Just a thought.

I don't know how far out your trip is but in my state you can request a TEMPORARY disability placard. My guess is they are just for these sorts of issues... you need it for now but not forever. They are red instead of blue and very clearly indicate the expiration date. Just a thought.
You pretty much can in any state. Depending on the state, it may be quick to get or not

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter