• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Double, Double, Toil & Trouble: a Halloween-inspired trip of “two’s” – an October 2016 TR

You can be SUCH a mean girl sometimes :sad:. If I'm too traumatized to walk to the pool alone in the dark on our trip next month, I'm blaming YOU ;).
You have options here.
1. Bring me along for security. I promise I will scream for you so you will be spared the embarrassment.
2. Have Steve carry you. However, should you choose this option I take no responsibility for the new baby when it arrives.

I actually liked the old Planet of the Apes with Roddy McDowall! A little creepy but I guess that was the charm!
LOL...it was on TV while we were at WDW. I haven't seen those old ones since I was a kid. I would have watched it but GC thought it was stupid. Not sure how a movie is stupid after only 5 minutes but whatever. She does like the reboot from a couple years ago. If you haven't watched those they are pretty good.

Vi is so cute! My girl is still asking for a cat on a daily basis...I have decided to postpone thinking about it until after our June trip. That way, she could have the whole summer to bond with the kitty :)

Probably a very good idea. That way, you don't need to worry about cat care while you're away, too :thumbsup2.

My cats don't give me the look- they just plop themselves ON my laptop!

She ended up curling up on my chest, staring me in the eye while she purred so hard she was literally vibrating. That was my cue. The trip report could wait :goodvibes. When the babies need love, well.....the babies need love!

You have options here.
1. Bring me along for security. I promise I will scream for you so you will be spared the embarrassment.
2. Have Steve carry you. However, should you choose this option I take no responsibility for the new baby when it arrives.

Number 2 isn't even funny. Can you imagine? A baby at MY AGE? :scared:

I'll take #1. Time to book your plane ticket.

Same here!

"Oh! Look! Daddy has the cat warmer on his lap again!" plop.

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

But yet.....you wouldn't change them for the world, would you?

Last edited:

Sunday, October 23rd (the conclusion)

14938164_10155150421476416_3601768947951535186_n.jpg

As our dinner experience was ending, the party activities had just nicely kicked into full force: party guests were being asked to show their wristbands at various checkpoints and day guests were being ushered to the exit. As a result, crowds were thinning noticeably and ride waits were shrinking too.

14632946_10155150421491416_2262477817608728392_n.jpg

Having watched the parade and fireworks at the first party as part of the Hallowishes Dessert Party entitlements, we didn’t feel the need to have to include those in this night’s activities: one of the big reasons we like doing two parties versus a single night is that there’s less pressure to do it all and see it all. Spreading out some of the party highlights over the two nights make both visits so much more relaxing. On this particular night, it was our plan to do more rides and try to get a meet and greet with a character or two…..no schedule, no itinerary. We would go with the flow and see where it takes us.

15068886_10155200934986416_5391949974013143681_o.jpg

We did try to locate Lisa, Joe and the kids but despite multiple texts back and forth, we simply couldn’t spot them anywhere regardless how hard we tried. We were so bummed that we didn’t get a chance to see them all in costume…..they had gone as Scooby Doo and the gang…..but we were both happy that they would have some Photopass pictures from the night. If we couldn’t see them live in and in person, then their Photopass memories would be the next best thing.

Having done a party the week prior, I also took far less photos on this night than I did on the first go around. My camera stayed stowed safely in the case for most of the night, and the bulk of our memories were captured via Photopass. While taking pictures is my favourite way of preserving some very special moments, sometimes it’s nice to take a break and just soak up the atmosphere without being behind a lens.

15135867_10155200958896416_7382722666600871154_n.jpg

We did a LOT of rides that night: lines were short and we made the most of it, especially during the parade and fireworks. Big Thunder was still down for refurbishment, but other than that and 7 Dwarves Mine Train (which had a 40 minute standby time all night long), we managed to hit pretty much everything else: some of our favourites, like Pirates and Haunted Mansion, we enjoyed more than once. Of course, there was trick or treating, too! We both collected completely full bags and ended up ceasing our trips through the treat lines before the clock struck 11. We simply had no room left for more.

15179045_10155200958676416_8866883748588449967_n.jpg

Sometime during the middle of the evening, we stopped for Dole Whip floats. With having the dessert party as part of our our first party, we didn’t have the chance or the stomach room to indulge in our favourite MK snack. With his Crystal Palace meal from earlier in the night now sufficiently settled, Steve could hardly wait for me to take the requisite photo before he dived in for the first slurp.

14938141_10155150421736416_1960990221941981985_n.jpg

One aspect of this party that did seem lengthy were the waits for characters…..as a result, we ended up taking a pass on many of the scheduled meet-and-greets. Certainly the fact that we had enjoyed the character meal at the beginning of the night helped with that decision…..since spending time with Tigger, Pooh, Piglet and Eeyore, we felt we had already had a good dose of character time. We did, however, get the chance to meet Goofy near Barnstormer:

13532834_10155200933961416_1467674402360428578_n.jpg

15107466_10155200934626416_6497645772848933658_n.jpg

15171222_10155200933976416_3369910899590113202_n.jpg

15178245_10155200934021416_6219480017430592943_n.jpg

…..and we also joined in the meet-and-greet with Jafar:

15171220_10155200935846416_1075520993156575966_n.jpg

15055855_10155200935906416_4472743310369068004_n.jpg

Wait times were very reasonable (under 15 minutes) in both cases so it didn’t cut into our ride time hardly at all :thumbsup2.

Throughout the night, we made another point of stopping for as many Photopass opportunities as possible. Lines for pictures were super short, so most of these were walk-ups with no waits at all.

15167485_10155200916341416_8299772599524235734_o.jpg

15110460_10155200962076416_4157068133377888564_o.jpg

Around 11:30, as the party dwindled into its final minutes, Steve decided he needed another snack so we dropped into Gaston’s Tavern to rustle him up some vittles. After perusing their selection of available goodies, he picked himself out a chocolate croissant: I had to agree, it looked pretty delicious. As the smiley CM took it from the display case, Steve reached for his wallet to pay. She promptly waved off the $5 bill in his hand, with a cheery “Happy Halloween Mr. Pirate. I love your costume! This treat is on Mickey ::MickeyMo “. That little bit of pixie dust, right there, just made Steve’s entire day. Sometimes it’s the little things that can mean the most.

14976843_10155200916316416_1312328229273720768_o.jpg

We left the park at about 11:50 pm…..if our plan worked, we would be just ahead of the mass exodus and hopefully avoid the crush of people trying to board the ferry boat and monorail. It had been such a fun night that we both hated to see it end, and I wondered if we should have squeezed in one more ride during that final 10 minutes after all. That said, our feet and legs were feelin’ weary :faint:, so perhaps it really was time to call it a night.

15037181_10155200912751416_3843003417760609336_n.jpg

We wondered aloud how Lisa, Joe and the kids had made out. Did they manage to stay until the end of the night? Hopefully they had as much fun as we had ::yes::.

With our packed candy bags in tow, we took the monorail back to the Ticket & Transportation Center with a remarkably short wait to board.

14947945_10155150457406416_6325605497066758314_n.jpg

Arriving at the TTC, we were thrilled to see no wait at all for a tram. Heading out that 10 minutes early turned out to be a genius move after all.

14907148_10155150457401416_2993280777806023687_n.jpg

It sure felt good to climb into that big, comfy king sized bed that night. We slept like a pair of rocks: the resort was marvelously quiet and the only noise I heard all night was Steve snoring [and, well……I’m rather used to that]. As we wearily stretched out our achy legs as we snuggled in under the covers, Steve tentatively inquired…..”You planned tomorrow as a ‘down day’, right?”.

Yes sweetheart, you’ll have plenty of time to recuperate ;).

Our lazy Monday morning breakfast of epic proportions is next .

14915344_10155156540311416_16843274052443100_n.jpg

Last edited:
I love the Splash mountain picture of Steve. The intimidating pirate just melted into an excited little boy! Such joy in his face!!

I love the Splash mountain picture of Steve. The intimidating pirate just melted into an excited little boy! Such joy in his face!!

He LOVES that ride :) . I swear he could spend the entire night at that single attraction and never tire of it. His body might be growing older but his spirit certainly is not.

We went twice last summer due to your recommendation and it was AWESOME! Can't wait to read more of your adventure!

I am SO happy that you enjoyed it as well! It's a great place, isn't it? We actually went twice on this October trip: once for breakfast (which is coming up next) and for the final dinner of our vacation. Both rousing successes! We are toying with whether or not to purchase another one of the discounted vouchers from Travelzoo for our April/May trip :scratchin......we weren't really planning on dining there this time around but the $20 for $40 offer is tough to pass up.

Oh Gina, your face on the Buzz Lightyear ride made me laugh, you look so determined, who won the shooting match?

It's great that you enjoyed all the rides and I can understand why Steve was so pleased with his pixie dusted croissant. I bet get smiles at the memory all the time. My daughter once got a free ice-cream on Mickey from the MK and she loved it :goodvibes

The Halloween party looks great. I was hoping that since my kids are at the same school that they would get the same Oct break but NO, Maddy has a seminar all week.
My cat uses my iPad and posts on Instagram or sends texts to my friends. Due to autocorrect they are sometimes down right scary

The party pictures bring back some fantastic memories. I love your Crystal Palace photos! We haven't been in a number of years, and are going back in August. I have a lot of pictures of my kids with Pooh and the gang over the years. I can't wait to go again. Looks like you had a fantastic time.
We always leave a little early to get ahead of the crowds too. Best fireworks show I ever watched was from the Ferry on the way back to the TTC. I don't need to be jostling on Main street , it makes me too stressed.

You got some great PP pictures!

I was quite pleased with many of them, too. The Photopass photographers did a pretty great job overall.

Oh Gina, your face on the Buzz Lightyear ride made me laugh, you look so determined, who won the shooting match?

It's great that you enjoyed all the rides and I can understand why Steve was so pleased with his pixie dusted croissant. I bet get smiles at the memory all the time. My daughter once got a free ice-cream on Mickey from the MK and she loved it :goodvibes

I *NEVER* win on Buzz. Not only do I never win, I always lose by a country mile :confused3 . No matter how much I focus, I apparently have no sense of aim. I guess its a good think I never got into law enforcement :rotfl:.

The Halloween party looks great. I was hoping that since my kids are at the same school that they would get the same Oct break but NO, Maddy has a seminar all week.
My cat uses my iPad and posts on Instagram or sends texts to my friends. Due to autocorrect they are sometimes down right scary

That's crappy that a trip in October can't be worked into your kids' schedules :(. Autumn in Orlando is just so much fun with all the special events at the parks.

And you made me laugh right out loud, imagining the messages your kitty manages to send :laughing:. I just had to go up and correct a few things in a couple of my posts above....I have no idea what happened in a few of them, but for now, I'm blaming Violet :rolleyes1.

And here is where it all goes down hill
View attachment 228433

jiFfM.jpg

The party pictures bring back some fantastic memories. I love your Crystal Palace photos! We haven't been in a number of years, and are going back in August. I have a lot of pictures of my kids with Pooh and the gang over the years. I can't wait to go again. Looks like you had a fantastic time.
We always leave a little early to get ahead of the crowds too. Best fireworks show I ever watched was from the Ferry on the way back to the TTC. I don't need to be jostling on Main street , it makes me too stressed.

At that second party, we just happened to be on the bridge by Fantasyland when the fireworks started. We had the most spectacular view, with the show RIGHT above our heads. Everyone in that area stopped to watch, and it was really neat to see the display from an entirely different and unexpected perspective.

You guys will have such a fun time at Crystal Palace in the summer!! It's nice to go back after you haven't done something in quite some time.....it makes the experience even more special :).

Ahh I wanna go back for that party soon

You should plan a trip for this October! Maybe sometime between the 14th and 21st? ;)

I'm tempted! I still have some vacation time to use, and mom has some DVC points. Shes a hard one to convince since we've been going to Disney soooooo much as she claims.

Maybe I'll have some luck. Its so nice being a grown-up and being able to travel when I'd like, plus extra nice having my mom being retired so no more planning around her school schedule.

I'm tempted! I still have some vacation time to use, and mom has some DVC points. Shes a hard one to convince since we've been going to Disney soooooo much as she claims.

Maybe I'll have some luck. Its so nice being a grown-up and being able to travel when I'd like, plus extra nice having my mom being retired so no more planning around her school schedule.

You should totally do it!! I bet your mom would LOVE the party too!

Hey everyone, just dropping in to wish you all a great weekend :). We are heading out within the next hour to venture back to Canada for a visit with Jake and Mom. We don't expect to be home until late Sunday night, so probably not back on the boards until sometime Monday afternoon.

Hopefully March goes "out like a lamb" for all of us, and the weather shines on whatever your plans happen to be :sunny:.

Talk to ya'll in a few days! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter