Does this sound correct??

elvispursley

DIS Veteran
Last week I switched our resort from YC to POFQ to save a huge chunk on our vacation. For YC, I booked room-only with the "Stay Longer" discount. When I switched resorts I booked with an AP discount, room only. The original YC booking had the ability to pay the balance at check-in but for POFQ, I was told I had to pay the balance 30-days before check-in. I asked if that was correct since it was just room-only. The CM said that it was correct. I know they changed the terms of cancelling but did they also change the terms for paying balance?? I went ahead and paid the rest of the balance off when I switched but wondering why the difference?

Last week I switched our resort from YC to POFQ to save a huge chunk on our vacation. For YC, I booked room-only with the "Stay Longer" discount. When I switched resorts I booked with an AP discount, room only. The original YC booking had the ability to pay the balance at check-in but for POFQ, I was told I had to pay the balance 30-days before check-in. I asked if that was correct since it was just room-only. The CM said that it was correct. I know they changed the terms of cancelling but did they also change the terms for paying balance?? I went ahead and paid the rest of the balance off when I switched but wondering why the difference?
When you call, CMs really push the packages, even if you very clearly say that you want Room Only. It sounds like you were booked as a package. When you speak to a CM, there is no correlation between accuracy and the confidence in their tone of voice. They can very confidently give you information which is completely wrong. There were comments about this in another thread, but I don't think the whole thread was dedicated to the subject.

Edit: found the thread:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/a-mini-reservations-rant.3942665/

The original YC booking had the ability to pay the balance at check-in but for POFQ, I was told I had to pay the balance 30-days before check-in. I asked if that was correct since it was just room-only. The CM said that it was correct.
Not correct for a Room Only (RO) reservation.

Either the CM was incorrect or the CM booked you a Ticket-less Package. The easiest way to normally determine whether you have a RO or a Package is to check your initial deposit in most cases however you switched your reservation from YC to PQFQ. The deposit would normally be (1) night deposit on RO or $200 on a package deposit.

Did the CM refund your initial (1) room night at YC? Try looking up your reservation in MDE to see what is shown for your room.

Dave

You need to call and find out if this somehow became a package otherwise you can get hit with a cancellation fee if your plans change. Only packages have the 30 day payment requirement.

They have been known to book people into ticketless packages even when people specifically say to book room only, this has happened a couple times with BB offers that we’ve had reports of.

Not correct for a Room Only (RO) reservation.

Either the CM was incorrect or the CM booked you a Ticket-less Package. The easiest way to normally determine whether you have a RO or a Package is to check your initial deposit in most cases however you switched your reservation from YC to PQFQ. The deposit would normally be (1) night deposit on RO or $200 on a package deposit.

Did the CM refund your initial (1) room night at YC? Try looking up your reservation in MDE to see what is shown for your room.

Dave
They said they had to cancel YC and I would be getting the funds back to original method of payment. Sounds as if I DID get booked into a ticketless package even though I questioned why it wasn’t a room-only reservation (I didn’t think AP could even get a ticketless package)! Is it even worth calling them back to have it switched to room only if I’ve already paid and had trip insurance added?

They said they had to cancel YC and I would be getting the funds back to original method of payment. Sounds as if I DID get booked into a ticketless package even though I questioned why it wasn’t a room-only reservation (I didn’t think AP could even get a ticketless package)! Is it even worth calling them back to have it switched to room only if I’ve already paid and had trip insurance added?
You got had. The insurance part really should have set your alarm bells off, maybe have an extra cup of coffee before talking to these people again... Ultimately, do you want the package? If you don't want the package I'd call Disney, see if they can change it and refund all parts of it due to you being lied to and be ready to wait around for escalation if necessary. Will it work? Maybe. But it definitely won't work if you don't call.

Why didn't you book it online yourself?

ETA- please next time you're not sure what a CM is saying is true HANG UP. Doesn't matter you waited forever, they can really screw things up for you as you unfortunately found out first hand :scared:

They said they had to cancel YC and I would be getting the funds back to original method of payment.
So how much was your new PQFQ deposit $200 or (1) night room charge? No need to call and cancel the package unless you want the flexibility to cancel later than 30 days before your arrival. With room only you can cancel as late as 5 days before arrive and not incur any extra charges and get your (1) night room depot.

Yes you can book a ticket-less package with and AP to get the $200 deposit and easy payment terms but has the 30 before arrival issue...

Note: any time they cancel your initial reservation and refund your deposit this indicates the CM is switching between the RO reservation system and the Disney Travel reservation system for packages. They are treated as (2) distinct businesses.

The insurance part really should have set your alarm bells off
Insurance is extra to add to a package you need to agree to add insurance. If the CM were to add it without your agreement they could be fired.

Dave

So it definitely was rebooked as a package…states clearly when I just checked. Of note, I would’ve just switched my reservation myself online (I typically do this when it’s possible) but I had some specific requests to add. When I initially spoke to the CM, I CLEARLY said I wanted to rebook a ROOM-ONLY to POFQ using the AP discount!

I realize that in the big picture it likely doesn’t matter. I typically wouldn’t have booked the trip insurance but felt like I should given we are visiting during prime hurricane season. But I am kinda ticked that I was clearly “duped” when I specifically stated I wanted a room-only reservation and then point blank asked the CM why there was now a change in the cancellation deadlines. And what makes me mad at myself is that I had read that thread about CMs trying to push packages in people.

Is there a way for Disney to figure out who the CM was according to my booking info if I call to lodge a complaint? This person absolutely is cut from some sleazy cloth to manipulate this the way that they did. And I feel like this is a big “shame in Disney” if this is how they’re getting their CMs to book “packages. 🤨

So it definitely was rebooked as a package…states clearly when I just checked. Of note, I would’ve just switched my reservation myself online (I typically do this when it’s possible) but I had some specific requests to add. When I initially spoke to the CM, I CLEARLY said I wanted to rebook a ROOM-ONLY to POFQ using the AP discount!

I realize that in the big picture it likely doesn’t matter. I typically wouldn’t have booked the trip insurance but felt like I should given we are visiting during prime hurricane season. But I am kinda ticked that I was clearly “duped” when I specifically stated I wanted a room-only reservation and then point blank asked the CM why there was now a change in the cancellation deadlines. And what makes me mad at myself is that I had read that thread about CMs trying to push packages in people.

Is there a way for Disney to figure out who the CM was according to my booking info if I call to lodge a complaint? This person absolutely is cut from some sleazy cloth to manipulate this the way that they did. And I feel like this is a big “shame in Disney” if this is how they’re getting their CMs to book “packages. 🤨
If you're worried about hurricane season and that's why you got trip insurance to cover just your room wouldn't you be able to cancel the room within the cancellation window if you had a room only reservation? If a hurricane is possibly coming to orlando you'd have plenty of notice prior to the arrival of a storm to adjust your travel plans I would think.

Yes, they can find out who you spoke to. If you have the name of the CM, that will work. There are no two CRO CM's who use the same first name, when a CM is hired for that position, they choose a "phone name". They can use their own if no one else has it. Otherwise they can pick from a list. This is to ensure if a guest does call back and say "I spoke to XXX and they told me XXX", they know who the CM is because there is only one person using that name. That's why when you call you can sometimes get a person with a odd name. They can also look at your reservation and determine whoever has made changes or had access to it. I did a BB offer and it was booked as a package. I didn't care because with the package you get the extras like luggage tags and the mini golf coupons. If for some reason I had to cancel within the 30 days, I'd move the reservation ahead a month or two and then cancel.

If you're worried about hurricane season and that's why you got trip insurance to cover just your room wouldn't you be able to cancel the room within the cancellation window if you had a room only reservation? If a hurricane is possibly coming to orlando you'd have plenty of notice prior to the arrival of a storm to adjust your travel plans I would think.

Insurance covers you during your trip as well, so, while you may know a storm is coming that may impact arrival, unforeseen circumstances can occur during a trip as well.

Insurance covers you during your trip as well, so, while you may know a storm is coming that may impact arrival, unforeseen circumstances can occur during a trip as well.
This was my main reason for adding the insurance. Both my mom and myself have health conditions (hers are more significant) and we tend to always book the insurance, whether for flights or accommodations. I had a work colleague who tripped outside the airport, broke her wrist, and required surgery. She was not able to fly home and her insurance definitely came in handy when it came to covering her medical deductible.

This was my main reason for adding the insurance. Both my mom and myself have health conditions (hers are more significant) and we tend to always book the insurance, whether for flights or accommodations.
OK now I am confused. You can't add Disney travel protection insurance to a Disney Room Only reservation. Disney does offer travel insurance on all packages with or without park tickets, Airline tickets.

Did you normally use third-party travel insurance provider directly vs going through Disney Travel (provider: Aon Affinity) in the past?

Dave

OK now I am confused. You can't add Disney travel protection insurance to a Disney Room Only reservation. Disney does offer travel insurance on all packages with or without park tickets, Airline tickets.

Did you normally use third-party travel insurance provider directly vs going through Disney Travel (provider: Aon Affinity) in the past?

Dave
We’ve generally nooked 3rd party in the past (thankfully only needed to use it once). But because of kids’, school, life, I spaced and didn’t book it when I needed to. So when it was offered, I signed up for it. I didn’t realize you couldn’t book it on a room-only reservation. Good tidbit to store away!

We’ve generally nooked 3rd party in the past (thankfully only needed to use it once). But because of kids’, school, life, I spaced and didn’t book it when I needed to. So when it was offered, I signed up for it. I didn’t realize you couldn’t book it on a room-only reservation. Good tidbit to store away!
Could be a blessing in disguise. If you feel their coverage is a good deal you know going forward it might be a better option for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter