Does anyone think Lookout Cay looks disappointing?

What is a Gilligans island type of experience..????
Castaway Cay, Great Stirrup Cay, and Labadee have moved away from it, a bit but it is a deserted isolated island with a beach, food, snorkeling, biking and a MINIMUM of people trying to sell you stuff, trying to braid your hair, etc. An ESCAPE. And Disney in particular is all about escaping reality.

…you can’t get a beach experience at a million different places??? I’m just not understanding if you don’t want to go to the water park don’t go…?? It just seems a new Disney island is lacking new features.

How does it feel forced???? What???

Don’t worry they’ll change it after guest feedback it lacks anything compelling to say I must go there.
Seems like the vast majority of people here agree with the offerings Disney will be offering. It’s okay if you don’t agree, but the reality is that Disney made agreements with the government for only developing so much of this part of the island. You’re not going to see a water park or anything of that nature built here. Disneys own approvals for the land only show an expansion for a south family beach, along with a possible adventure camp.

Seems like the vast majority of people here agree with the offerings Disney will be offering. It’s okay if you don’t agree, but the reality is that Disney made agreements with the government for only developing so much of this part of the island. You’re not going to see a water park or anything of that nature built here. Disneys own approvals for the land only show an expansion for a south family beach, along with a possible adventure camp.
Adventure camp? Is that for shore excursions or a separate ABD program?

I have only one concern and one wish
Concern: I read in the islands description that there is a 1/2 mile pier from the ship to land to board the cross island tram to the beaches. Hopefully they have a tram for us older people and the families with littles who can’t make that trek.
Wish: I wish Disney would put Day beds on the beach like on Coco Cay. That would be so awesome for those who can’t snag a cabana, for added comfort and it would generate extra income. They could fit a decent number of units on a section of beach. Only sailed RC once last October and the $200 for the daybed was so worth it.

10 people? It also looks like the perspective of people without children as well.

I love both Coco Cay and Castaway Cay, but I’m not so sure about Lighthouse Point. Lighthouse point feels very far from the ship, including the half mile trek across the pier. I also hate to say this but I’m not super interested in the cultural aspects and worry like another poster that it will basically equal loud. I love that castaway is a Disney-fied beach experience and a protected beach arwa foe thr kids. If I want a Bahamian experience I’ll get off in Nassau.

I like that coco cay has lots to offer for everyone so people are spread out. There are pools, great splash pads for the kids, a water park if thats your jam (not mine but whatever), and lots of other stuff.

It feels like Disney didn't innovate, didn't recreate the magic, just gave us a junkanoo themed beach. But we'll see, I'd be happy to be surprised in August.

Don’t worry they’ll change it after guest feedback it lacks anything compelling to say I must go there.
Unlikely. Not only is there an agreement with the Bahamaian government but CC has been pretty much the same since it was first developed (though there have been a number of additions). Don't expect to ever see a pool or water park or anything like Coco Cay.

I wish Disney would put Day beds on the beach like on Coco Cay.
I really hate places that charge me for a glorified lounge chair. There's little to no cost for them, but I pay a high charge, and it reduces the number of non-paid seating options. I paid a fortune to get there, and then I have to pay $200 for a chair - it always seems a bit extortionate and tacky to me.

Unlikely. Not only is there an agreement with the Bahamaian government but CC has been pretty much the same since it was first developed (though there have been a number of additions). Don't expect to ever see a pool or water park or anything like Coco Cay.

I really hate places that charge me for a glorified lounge chair. There's little to no cost for them, but I pay a high charge, and it reduces the number of non-paid seating options. I paid a fortune to get there, and then I have to pay $200 for a chair - it always seems a bit extortionate and tacky to me.
I really dislike being sandwiched in with people in those lounge chairs. For us the comfort and spacing of the DayBed far outweighs a chaise lounge. The DayBed was very comfortable, the size close to a king bed and also offered shade and privacy. We are fortunately at a point in life where we are willing and able to pay a little additional for personal comfort.

I really dislike being sandwiched in with people in those lounge chairs. For us the comfort and spacing of the DayBed far outweighs a chaise lounge. The DayBed was very comfortable, the size close to a king bed and also offered shade and privacy. We are fortunately at a point in life where we are willing and able to pay a little additional for personal comfort.
This seems like a great idea to me as well. In addition, you can fit a family of 4 (assuming the kids are young!) on a daybed that takes up about the same amount of space as two lounge chairs and the space between them. I would be happy to pay for a reserved bed with a decent view of the ocean.

This seems like a great idea to me as well. In addition, you can fit a family of 4 (assuming the kids are young!) on a daybed that takes up about the same amount of space as two lounge chairs and the space between them. I would be happy to pay for a reserved bed with a decent view of the ocean.
Same! They have something like it at Aulani called a casabella for rent. Wish they had it on castaway cay

I don’t get that either. How is Castaway Cay a Gillian’s island experience? I have never been on CC and thought it’s like I am on some deserted island with few people, CC has loungers side by side, a water slide, shops, bars, places to eat, a kids club, outdoor games, and places selling you beach stuff or renting water stuff. Plenty of chances to spend money on CC if you want.

I agree that it would have been nice to have a pool or swim up bar or something to separate it from CC. If you don’t want to go to the pool…don’t go. Having a pool isn’t stopping people from going to the beach and ocean if they want. But how can offering a pool diminish someones experience who doesn’t even go there? If anything it’s spreading people out and making the beach less crowded.

I don’t get that either. How is Castaway Cay a Gillian’s island experience? I have never been on CC and thought it’s like I am on some deserted island with few people, CC has loungers side by side, a water slide, shops, bars, places to eat, a kids club, outdoor games, and places selling you beach stuff or renting water stuff. Plenty of chances to spend money on CC if you want.

I agree that it would have been nice to have a pool or swim up bar or something to separate it from CC. If you don’t want to go to the pool…don’t go. Having a pool isn’t stopping people from going to the beach and ocean if they want. But how can offering a pool diminish someones experience who doesn’t even go there? If anything it’s spreading people out and making the beach less crowded.
I’m on team gilligan’s island. I do actually feel it is very calm and chill. If there was a pool my kids would insist on spending the day there. I like that they have no choice but to join me in being a beach bum for a day.

Ah, youth.

I do prefer the amenities of electricity, running water, lunch, coke and soft serve, and lounge chairs. And not wondering if I will be able to leave.

If you aren’t kidding, find reruns of that TV classic where 7 castaways were stranded on a deserted island when their tiny ship was tossed in a storm and the 3-hour tour lasted several seasons. All the while, the rich people had all their luggage in tow, they were never hungry or dissheveled and had people arrive but then leave without the castaways.

I recall that Coco Cay requires quite a long walk from the ship to land as well.
I didn’t think it was that bad, though the last time we went we got a little lost trying to get to our chill island beach bed, which is at the bottom of the picture I’m attaching, where the restaurant symbol is (orange fork and knife). The scale on that picture shows 500 feet and I’ve got most of the island, and shows the pier and the bottom of the island.

In contrast, I took a screen cap of lighthouse point at the same scale and basically all that fits is the pier.

I know this isn’t super scientific, but I think it gives an idea of the difference in distances. The pier at coco is comparatively short, and as soon as you get on the island there’s a kids splash area that my kids love to stop at, and it kind of breaks up the walk.

Attachments

• IMG_4346.png
    IMG_4346.png
    293.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4347.png
    IMG_4347.png
    344.1 KB · Views: 21
I don’t get that either. How is Castaway Cay a Gillian’s island experience?
Castaway Cay is a VERY different experience than what Royal Caribbean built at Coco Cay.

Some portion of cruisers want the CoCo Cay experience, pools, slides, club like atmosphere.

Some portion of cruisers want a beach experience something akin to glamping. A beach experience that makes you feel like you are isolated but pampered.

When I first started cruising, private islands were very basic. You can still get that same original experience at Princess Cay. I don't think much development has occurred there since it was built decades ago.

Some closest to the Gilligan experience are Castaway Cay, Half Moon Cay, Princess Cay, Ocean Cay, and Great Stirrup Cay.

There there are those with more amenities like Labadee and Harvest Cay but not as much as CoCo Cay.

There are three private "islands" coming soon. Lighthouse Point, RCCL Nassau Beach Club, and Celebration Key.

1/3 are Gilligan (Glamping) style, 2/3 are Miami Beach Club style.

At all of them I have not had a problem finding an isolated spot and getting the experience I want.

Last edited:
10 people? It also looks like the perspective of people without children as well.
I have two children and they have been to plenty of water parks and they've have had fun there. But I appreciate the fact that much of the island will be kept undeveloped/pristine - per Disney's agreement with the Bahamian government. We can swim in a pool any day of the week at home and/or on other vacations. I don't feel this island needs a water park and I believe my children will have a fun time swimming in the beautiful Bahamian waters. Sometimes, less is more.

Last edited:
I’m on team gilligan’s island. I do actually feel it is very calm and chill. If there was a pool my kids would insist on spending the day there. I like that they have no choice but to join me in being a beach bum for a day.
THIS

This could go in various threads, including comparing DCL to other lines.

I went to NCL’s Great Stirrup Cay (right next to Perfect Day at Coco Cay). Right in the middle, I walked past a bar with loud music and a worker on a microphone leading adults in some dancing activity.

That probably is a prime example of why I pick DCL and its Castaway Cay. The focus for the adult area is Serenity - with no add-on fee. Hoping LC@LP can offer a place of peace.

And, yes, I would still cruise NCL for certain itineraries (and price).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter