Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

It seems to be related to the fact that the block from 18 Sept to 29 Oct is now classed as 'Regular' season rather than 'Fall' which it was in 2015.

To create the seasonal graphs, I obviously had to put all of the daily prices into a spreadsheet. So given that I now had all the data in electronic form, it was very easy to create a 2015/16 comparison chart, and this is the portion we are discussing (the larger the increase from 2015, the more red the entries get). Sorry for the size, the DIS seems to have scaled it down a bit:

upload_2015-6-28_11-43-48.png

Andre

Yes, that was exactly my point in the message you quoted. It seems to be related to the fact that the block from 18 Sept to 29 Oct is now classed as 'Regular' season rather than 'Fall' which it was in 2015. Whatever names they give it though, to the guest it means the price hike is huge! As it's a seasonal blocking change it won't affect just POR but other resorts too (depending on their differential between Regular and Fall rates).

I have raised this question (and the POFQ Garden/Standard pricing) with someone in a position to investigate it anyway.

Andre

I'll be interested to find out what they say about the revised pricing for 2016. The price for a POR garden view is around $210/night for October. Why in the world would you upgrade to a river view for $266/night?

The price for a POR garden view is around $210/night for October. Why in the world would you upgrade to a river view for $266/night?

And don't forget those prices are plus 12.5% tax too. It's $236.25 vs. $299.25 including the tax.

The hike from standard view up to water view used to be between $15 and $25 - but then it wasn't so very long ago that the now-mind-bogglingly complex seasonal pricing structure looked like this for all Moderates:

upload_2015-6-28_14-19-51.png

Andre

And don't forget those prices are plus 12.5% tax too. It's $236.25 vs. $299.25 including the tax.

The hike from standard view up to water view used to be between $15 and $25 - but then it wasn't so very long ago that the now-mind-bogglingly complex seasonal pricing structure looked like this for all Moderates:

Andre

Just amazing to me that a moderate resort would be $300/night. As 2016 progresses, it will be interesting to see how many people reserve those river view rooms. I'm thinking that the price increases for October are related to the ever increasing crowds that attend the Epcot Food & Wine Festival. I remember when Port Orleans & Dixie Landings opened in 1991/92 and the rates were around $80 to $90 a night. The pricing was much simpler, standard view & water view as you have noted in your attachment.

Our current stay at POR is booked from Sept 18-23 under Free Dining promo. We would like to come in a day earlier on the 17th and ideally not have to resort hop. Currently, there are no room available that would qualify for free dining but I keep calling and checking every few days to see if anything has opened up. CMs on the phone keep telling me to keep checking until about a month out before booking something else. Does this sound right? Any chance a free dining room would open up after the 45 day mark?

Anyone know the likelihood of Jan/Feb 2016 room only discount? I definitely don't follow rates as much as some people on these boards, but I thought historically there was a 20 to 30% discount at that time of year. Thanks for all your help, trying to plan a family reunion then.

I wouldn't count on any specific discounts at Riverside to be honest. Even when there are offers around for other resorts, sometimes POFQ and POR seem to get left out as they are already very popular. That's not to say it won't happen, but don't get your hopes up too much.

Andre

Booked for POR Dec. 17th - 23rd....Woohoo!!! Hoping for a RO discount, since no free dining here :-(....and, I feel like a pin is out of the question, since we NEVER get one. Super excited...have ADR's all booked, just waiting for ressies to open up for Liberty Tree Tavern (renovations going on) and the Candlelight Processional. Thanks, Andre and Friends, for the very helpful info as usual (check out your threads with each of our trips....last time in Oct 2013).

The price increases are just crazy :sad2: those DTD hotels or Swan/Dolphin are beginning to be looking more attractive! Sigh. It seems WDW is pricing many people out. I don't understand these steep price increases, when they're making record profit.

As everything is listed in a spreadsheet now anyway to generate the graphs, I've been doing some more price analysis...

And by far the biggest shocker comes when you contrast the daily rates for the traditionally lower-priced months of September and October. At POR, the premium categories such as Pool View, Preferred Location and River View have gone up by between 21% and 27%! For example, a River View room would cost $236 per night in October 2015, whereas in October 2016 that exact same room will cost you $299 - a massive 26.7% increase!

Given that this is (no doubt completely coincidentally) the same period that the Disney Dining Plan is offered for free, it does rather confirm the old truism that “There Ain’t No Such Thing as a Free Lunch”.

Andre
I wonder how many will still book at those prices? And at what price point people will start voting with their feet?

I wouldn't count on any specific discounts at Riverside to be honest. Even when there are offers around for other resorts, sometimes POFQ and POR seem to get left out as they are already very popular. That's not to say it won't happen, but don't get your hopes up too much.

Thanks Andre, I'd hate to get the family's hopes up, then the discount not come through.

Good Morning,

I booked a Royal Room and would like to stay in Building 90. What group of rooms is closest to the walkway? I looked at a map of room numbers but as my husband pointed out I could be reading the map backwards, LOL. We couldn't tell.

Thank you in advance.

I booked a Royal Room and would like to stay in Building 90. What group of rooms is closest to the walkway? I looked at a map of room numbers but as my husband pointed out I could be reading the map backwards, LOL. We couldn't tell.

The best clue is that dark-blue coloured rooms on my floorplan maps are listed as River View, and thus those ones tend to face towards the riverbank... :)

What room category of Royal Room did you book though?

Andre

It's great to be back on the POR board as we are getting ready for our trip in two weeks! So excited to be going back to our favorite resort!

On our last POR stay we had THE best room....riverview, corner, RR, close to the bridge and it was amazing. For our upcoming trip we didn't get the RR, just booked a pool view. There will be three of us: myself, dh and dd18. In looking at pictures of pool views at POR, the ones in AB look a lot nicer.

I know that AB rooms sleep five, and therefore, larger parties/families are placed there, but what are the chances of getting an AB room for a family of three? I like the AB pool view rooms in the preferred buildings but I haven't yet requested/paid for the preferred. What do you think our chances are of getting a room at AB since we are a party of three? I guess our best bet is to pay the extra for the preferred pool view and keep our fingers crossed. Any help would be appreciated as I'm so confused about the preferred rooms!

it is just the 2 of us at WDW. we have stayed at POR 4 times. the 1st tie it was dixie landings, and it was 4 of us, in alligator bayou. since then we have been 3 times, just the 2 of use. 2 X in AB and once in magnolia bend. so you do not HAVE to have 5 people to stay in AB!

I know that AB rooms sleep five, and therefore, larger parties/families are placed there, but what are the chances of getting an AB room for a family of three? I like the AB pool view rooms in the preferred buildings but I haven't yet requested/paid for the preferred

There are more regular rooms within the AB section than there are in the mansions, and although the AB rooms can sleep five they by no means have to. There are 139 regular Pool View rooms at Riverside, but only 41 are in the mansions, so your chances are pretty good.

Put in a request for an AB room in advance, and say that you'd prefer building 18 if at all possible (that would give you a pool view and a nicely located building, so it's a win-win). If you want to improve your chances still further, send a faxed request 3-5 days before arrival.

Andre

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter