Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I made this exact same argument a few pages back, to which you said:

So which is it? Do you now think they won't stop them during storms?
You missed this part.

Which is what I thought but I am not so sure. Maybe in a severe storm but WDW gets storms almost every day but most only last 10-20 minutes. I also don't think buses will just stop being used at these resorts but rather they use less of them and continue to have them as an option.

I have changed my stance a bit yes. We still don't know how they will handle them during storms though.

We don't know how they are configuring this transportation yet, we only know the routes. We don't know that it's going to be an off load at the trindad and board anew scenario. It certainly could be.
Might also be more practical to walk from the northern part of pop/AoA to the station at trinidad, assuming there will be a walking connection out of this.

It is rumored that there are 3 distinct lines. It would make sense for one line to be dhs to trinidad station. One line from trinidad to pop. and one line from trinidad to north CBR then boardwalk lot and Epcot.
If that's the case, the bottle neck will be the morning at park opening time. If it's predictable you can plan for it. In that case I think they could channel the line transfer to make it more seamless.
I'm still of the opinion that whatever type of device is used, the line from trinidad to DHS will be a higher capacity than the other two lines. Even if its just a operational speed change. That will effectively reduce the bottle neck.

Bottle neck still couldn't be as bad as buses. Assume these are even the 10 person gondolas, and assuming like others they can leave every 15 seconds, way faster, way more capacity than buses. Not to say there wouldn't be a bottleneck... just wouldn't be as bad as current I think. Esp if they still throw in a few buses.

Well, assuming the Gondola's can handle wheelchairs/ECV - which I'm sure they can - I think it is extremely likely they would want to eliminate buses to these parks. The only potential issue I see is that there's a small fraction of people that would be afraid to ride the Gondola...so I am not sure how they would handle those people. (You could say they would tell them not to stay at those resorts, but I don't know if that's really an option.) They also will have to shut down the Gondola during thunderstorms and will need to run buses in those cases. This isn't really a problem for DHS, but at Epcot it is. Can you imagine travelling to the back of the park to catch a Gondola, and then being told "nope you have to walk all the way back to the front of the park to catch the bus"? Perhaps they are planning to run in all but the worst storms...

I could be wrong but I would be surprised if they totally eliminated buses and mandated people take the gondolas to EPCOT and DHS. Now, cut back a lot? yes. Not have a dedicated bus for the DVC part of CBR? yes. - but I think a) people might be a little scared and b) while I don't think they would shut the gondolas for a little wind or anything there could be some storm conditions (lightening, etc.) that might necessitate it being closed

I wouldn't think that they would eliminate them.

I'm sure that they will be able to cut down the amount of buses, however.

I'd have to imagine that they'd want to accommodate any guests that would have an aversion to a sky way system.
I agree with this point. I think you would be surprised at the number of guests who are afraid of heights and won't use it.

I've heard some rumors that it will connect to Epcot where the African Outpost currently is. Has anyone else heard that?

I'd prefer that to the IG.

Hard pressed to imagine they will want another gate. EPCOT is already the only park with 2 major gates (especially since they closed the minor gate at DHS).

That might be cheaper than building the station at the IG. Do they have the room there?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter