Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I think it is a neat idea. But I wonder if it would be free or if there would be some sort of fee in order to use it.
I don' think there would be a fee "per se" but wouldn't be surprised to see rates for the "Gondola Resorts" slowly creep up.

I could also see them limiting use to Gondola Resort Guests until the "novelty" wears off.

remember the days when imagineering spent their time on creating new rides and parks instead of how to make more money off of existing resort properties?

I do think it's a cool concept and will add a lot to WDW. I just wish that they would get as creative with the rest of the development. However I am encouraged by some of the projects in process but we shall see.

I am fully aware I wear Disney colored glass but Pandora, the most immersive land ever featuring next generation audioanimatronics is about to open and they are working on Star Wars Land which is to feature the most innovative attractions ever made - it's not looking or they aren't doing anything for the parks. Just WDW is more than the parks and I am glad they are doing something like this instead of just more buses

I am fully aware I wear Disney colored glass but Pandora, the most immersive land ever featuring next generation audioanimatronics is about to open and they are working on Star Wars Land which is to feature the most innovative attractions ever made - it's not looking or they aren't doing anything for the parks. Just WDW is more than the parks and I am glad they are doing something like this instead of just more buses
No I agree. That's why I said I'm willing to wait and see. The most recent example is the FL expansion which seemed to disappoint along with the reimagining of Maelstrom. I'm just looking for some innovation and new ideas in the parks. I totally agree WDW is more than just the parks. That's why I love it so much.

So they either value the occupants desires in the CBR tower(plausible if it's a DVC), over the cost savings of a more efficient route.

I think that is the answer. They consider the long-term cost per passenger to be so low that a sub-optimal route between DHS and Epcot is far outweighed by the profits to be made from selling a huge tower of timeshares with the incentive that it has "preferred" access to the parks.

I suspect the current alignment is accounting for stations we do not currently know are in the plan.
Reason for that supposition is this:
If you connected the Boardwalk turn station to DHS instead of the CBR tower(north). Your travel distance from Epcot to CBR south would be shorter, and therefore cheaper. Your connection from either CBR location to DHS would be unchanged. Your connection from epcot to DHS would be shorter.

With the currently believed lines it is shorter ride to epcot for someone in the CBR tower to epcot. I see that as the only benefit of that alignment to a guest at the CBR tower.

So this presumes that price for the project has a consistent per mile price. It also presumes there isn't some hidden cost, with the direct boardwalk to dhs connection that we are not privy to making this the most financially prudent route.

So they either value the occupants desires in the CBR tower(plausible if it's a DVC), over the cost savings of a more efficient route. Or the routes they have chosen line up with other unknown parts of the project we've yet to figure out.
I think the current alignment results in greater capacity to each park. separate lines means 4K guests per hour can go from CBR to DHS and another 4K guests per hour can go from CBR to Epcot.

When I looked at the planned routes a few things struck me: easy access to most of the route from a road. This may have been done for safety reasons - it's easier to access the car should it malfunction en route. It's also easier to build closer to the road. By keeping the route mostly within an existing right-of-way, they decrease the possibility of future conflicts should they want to build another structure.

I will freely admit I am somewhat ridiculously excited about this. DH and I had pretty much decided to buy DVC in the next few years and had mostly decided on SSR. However, this could be a game changer. I am very curious to see how they manage the DVC portion of it and we may decide to buy at CBR instead depending on how they work that out.

remember the days when imagineering spent their time on creating new rides and parks instead of how to make more money off of existing resort properties?

Having great ideas and getting them approved for construction are two very different things.

I think the current alignment results in greater capacity to each park. separate lines means 4K guests per hour can go from CBR to DHS and another 4K guests per hour can go from CBR to Epcot.

While I certainly agree that the alignment increase capacity to go from CBR to the parks I always laugh when I see somebody quoting hourly rate like 4K reported in this thread. Nobody here have any idea what the hourly rate is going to be, it could be 2K, 4K or even 10K persons for hour. It all depends on the size of the cabins, whether loading is online or off-line and the speed of transit.

The gondolas are a GREAT idea! I only hope they add them to and from DAK! I am confident they will be free as all Disney transportation is free. I am guessing they will be designed along the lines of the motorcoach. Disney needs additional transportation options and this is a wonderful and affordable way to do it! I am VERY excited for this!

So last night we drove through the area where the gondola would go over the road. I have to say I think I was wrong....the idea that it could run with only a few towers I mentioned is also bad. It will likely have to be closer to 30 feet up for much of the distance. It's still a great idea to deal with getting people around a busy area. Caribbean beach entrance to boardwalk entrance couldn't have been more than a sixty second drive.

I wonder if there will be a public walking path along the route from Trinidad station to DHS(in addition to the gondola)? Seems it could be another viable option for some. Could even catch the parking surface tram at DHS when you get to the lot. The land will be cleared and somewhat improved anyway, it would need to stay clear and improved for maintenance work on the system.
It's roughly the same distance as the path from Epcot to DHS. Crossing Victory way would be a hurdle, but it isn't the most busy road in the area. However, I did see on one of the permits that they are adding turn lanes on victory way for the entrance near trinidad station, so I'm guessing that implies that will be far busier intersection, making more of a liability concern.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter