Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2024 Edition

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2024/05/rare-baby-addax-is-mothers-day-gift-at-disney/

Rare Baby Addax Born at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge

Fri, May 10, 2024

Rare Baby Addax is Mother’s Day Gift at Disney​

by Scott Terrell, DVM, DACVP, Director of Animal & Science Operations, Walt Disney Parks & Resorts

At Disney, every animal birth is important but there’s something extra special about an odds-defying, critically endangered baby addax we welcomed just in time for Mother’s Day at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge!

Two–month-old Julien is the newest member of our addax herd. These animals face possible extinction with less than 100 left in the wild and just over 180 in managed care across all organizations accredited by the Associations of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA).
Julien the Baby Addax at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge

A Baby Calf, Just in Time for Mother’s Day

Julien stands just over an adorable two feet tall with a great head of hair and is as cute as can be. He is welcomed by his mom Juniper and the rest of the herd over at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge and he is the first male calf born at the resort. An ode to his mom and dad, Julien’s name is a combination of both Juniper and Allen, who are all a part of the larger herd. Actually, we at Walt Disney World are one of just 21 AZA accredited institutions who have addax in our care, and what better place to be able to see them than on the savanna at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge.

As an accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), we have collaborated with renowned experts to help increase populations of endangered and threatened species. Following AZA Species Survival Plans (SSP), we have welcomed the births of a variety of animals just in the last year. This birth is just one example of many that exemplifies the success of our continued work to breed at risk animals.
Julien the Baby Addax at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge

A Massive Win for Disney’s Animals, Science and Environment

Julien’s birth is an incredible win for the population of this species and for our team of veterinarians and animal keepers who are over the moon to welcome another addax as they are so critical in the wild. This birth is just one of many examples that testifies to the level of care our animals receive.

The critically endangered addax is a species of antelope known for their curly horns that calves are actually born with. This species of antelope is so rare, one of the few places in the entire world where they can be spotted outside of the Saharan desert in Africa is at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Thank You to All of The Moms

Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms out there, including first time mom Juniper, who’s growing closer and closer to baby Julien day by day! And we can’t forget about those who care for Juniper, caring for her since her own birth here at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge all the way through her first pregnancy and now into motherhood.

This birth continues to remind us of the power of protecting our world and those who need our help like the addax and other endangered and threatened species. Visit DisneyAnimals.com to learn how you can help all animals alike, especially those facing near extinction.

Soon, mom and baby will be out on the savanna and if you’d like to visit the herd, be sure to head over to Sunset Savanna at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge!

They could make a closet room category at the next deluxe and it would be super popular. “I don’t spend any time in my room anyhow, I can poop at the pool bathroom”.
Why bother when you can roll out a sleeping bag on the resort lawn for only 6 pts per night! Easy way to add more points to sell at all existing resorts.

Why bother when you can roll out a sleeping bag on the resort lawn for only 6 pts per night! Easy way to add more points to sell at all existing resorts.

That is genius. They could list every sleeping bag lawn view as fireworks view for an extra few points. “Themed after Walt’s legendary love for the outdoors, we proudly introduce our newest resort- Sodflections.”

I don't know...if the price is right (which we all know is relative when it comes to Disney) it could be a pretty solid choice for a solo trip.
Def solid for a solo trip. I've stayed in one twice at RIV, and IIRC the bathroom was bigger than the room itself? Honestly fine by me since I love an updated/fancy bath area.

To be fair, both stays were single nights before staying the rest of the week at a different resort, but if I didn't have an issue grabbing them, I'd go back for sure

They could make a closet room category at the next deluxe and it would be super popular. “I don’t spend any time in my room anyhow, I can poop at the pool bathroom”.
In a VDH thread, someone swore they saw poop in the pool. I read your post as “poop in the pool” and almost fell out of my chair laughing🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 It’s still funny, even when you insert bathroom.

Idk, I think the new Poly Tower pictures look really pretty. I don’t have a connection to the Poly though, never having stayed there, so maybe my perspective is a bit different than those of you who have that connection with the original Poly.
I can see that it will stand out like a sore thumb being as tall as it is around the cozier long houses.
It’s definitely prettier than any Holiday Inn I’ve stayed at 😂.

I’m definitely an oddball though, I think the CR is pretty and I love the mid-mod architecture and designs.

Idk, I think the new Poly Tower pictures look really pretty. I don’t have a connection to the Poly though, never having stayed there, so maybe my perspective is a bit different than those of you who have that connection with the original Poly.
I can see that it will stand out like a sore thumb being as tall as it is around the cozier long houses.
It’s definitely prettier than any Holiday Inn I’ve stayed at 😂.

I’m definitely an oddball though, I think the CR is pretty and I love the mid-mod architecture and designs.
Well to each their own. The adjective pretty never came to mind when I think about the contemporary but I like the feel of the Poly.

Disney Parks - Instagram

Tune-in TONIGHT to #DisneyNight on @americanidol on @abc at 8PM ET/5PM PT for a special announcement as we gear up to celebrate the opening of Tiana’s Bayou Adventure at @WaltDisneyWorld!
1715515802262.png

Disney Night on ‘American Idol’ – Tonight on ABC

Exciting news! This Sunday, the Top 5 “American Idol” contestants will be singing beloved Disney classics and modern hits during a special Disney Night that’ll feature a musical surprise for everyone looking forward to our new attraction – Tiana’s Bayou Adventure...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter