Direct-to-room

I've checked on line and arrived early, about 11 am and been assigned rooms at AKV Kidani with extremely bad savannah views. The most recent time that happened was the last time we stayed in a savannah room. It was very irritating. We arrived about 11 am. The front desk said our room wasn't ready, but they could assign us to another. My husband wanted to wait for the room we were assigned. It wasn't ready until late in the afternoon, and when we got to it, it was a Pembe view room on the fourth or fifth floor, near the corner, where the room next door had been reassigned as standard view. If I had known earlier, I would have contested it.

I think most people would like to have a room they find desirable. I feel it's very important to at least be satisfied with you room. On my last trip, I had to go back to the front desk twice to get a good room. I'm going to try online check-in this November at Poly. I have a list of all the rooms I wouldn't mind being assigned. If they give me something I do not want, I will go to the desk and see what they can do for me. I've never been disappointed....but there's always the first time. I will go back to the front desk, until I get something suitable. I won't be upset or angry...just persistent! LOL!

I leave after work today and will check in fairly late (around 11pm). Hope I get a room text and won't have to bother with the front desk!

UPDATE: Received a text and email at 4:20pm with my room number! I really like my room assignment (my requests were filled), so I'm hoping there won't be a switch since I'm a late arrival.

Last edited:
I leave after work today and will check in fairly late (around 11pm). Hope I get a room text and won't have to bother with the front desk!

UPDATE: Received a text and email at 4:20pm with my room number! I really like my room assignment (my requests were filled), so I'm hoping there won't be a switch since I'm a late arrival.
Did you put in your room requests when u did online chech-in? My ta put mine in for me. Some folks have said not to redo them. Other people say to call a couple days before. What do u suggest?

Did you put in your room requests when u did online chech-in? My ta put mine in for me. Some folks have said not to redo them. Other people say to call a couple days before. What do u suggest?

I sent MS an email through the member website with my room requests. I didn't choose any room requests when I did online check-in, and I never called about it. Honestly, I think I was just lucky getting my requests! I never expect to and don't mind if I don't get them -- but it's a nice way to start off the trip!

We arrived at the Poly in the morning after our cruise and our email took 2 hours to reach my phone. At least the weather was great and we were hanging out by the pool and beach.
On our trip down, we received our room assignment before we had left our home airport.

Just got back last week from Animal Kingdom. Got the text on ME right after it was mentioned on the video on the ride to the hotel. Still stopped at the desk to get directions to the room.

I did online checkin and got my requests. I requested via an email to MS, quiet pool, large balcony, traveling with family - so near rooms. I got quiet pool, but no large balcony (they are limited, so wasn't surprised), but my daughter's room was next to mine. We had 2 dedicated studios and they were side by side, across from the laundry room and and right at the elevator. I was a tiny bit bummed about the large balcony not coming through, but know there are only a few. But we really liked the location, esp those in our family that used the laundry room. With both had direct to room. We got our room about 1:00PM and my daughter about 2:00PM. The downside is that you get no paperwork, so you do have to go to the villa lobby to pickup a times guide and resort guide. We also went to the main lobby and got a paper parking pass which made driving into the parks quicker than scanning our bands.

Thank you all for your updates. I am still looking for reports from others regarding experiences. Another question. Will you be able to get into the pool area with your magic band if your room isn't quite ready?

n2mm;

You said that you asked for a paper parking pass. I thought they were going completely paperless with that? So youre saying that you can still ask for a paper pass? That is one thing I would still like to have instead of the guard scanning my band. I don't always have it with me especially if we are not planning on going to a park.

n2mm;

You said that you asked for a paper parking pass. I thought they were going completely paperless with that? So youre saying that you can still ask for a paper pass? That is one thing I would still like to have instead of the guard scanning my band. I don't always have it with me especially if we are not planning on going to a park.

Yes, going through the mk gate was very slow, so we went to the front desk and asked for a paper parking pass. The cm asked why and we told them that it's too slow and she gave it to us. After that we just showed the parking pass and it was easy. We were not the only ones, we saw them in other cars too. We used our magic band at our resort to open the gate.

We had the direct to room access last week. I got an email before we arrived that our GV wasn't ready yet around 10am but that we could go ahead and use the resort's facilities or go to parks first, so yes it was a success for us. Got a text after we got to the airport that our room was ready so we went ahead and went grocery shopping. By the time we got to our room, my luggage was already there. I did have to call for my OL. We never stopped at the front desk. We went straight to our room as the email they send you gives you a link to a resort map. From there, it's not hard to find your room. My two older children arrived at MCO at 11pm. They did wait a long time for the MDE. It was almost 2am by the time they got to our room. They were kind enough to give them a ride to our room though. At any point, I never stopped at the front desk as we didn't really need any activities calendar. I did hate how long it takes for the guards to scan the MBs. And we went to AoA a few times to meet up with some people and for some reason, their MB scanner never worked. They always just looked for some form of ID. I do miss the paper parking passes. It was a lot quicker for a quick glance at it.

We had the direct to room access last week. I got an email before we arrived that our GV wasn't ready yet around 10am but that we could go ahead and use the resort's facilities or go to parks first, so yes it was a success for us. Got a text after we got to the airport that our room was ready so we went ahead and went grocery shopping. By the time we got to our room, my luggage was already there. I did have to call for my OL. We never stopped at the front desk. We went straight to our room as the email they send you gives you a link to a resort map. From there, it's not hard to find your room. My two older children arrived at MCO at 11pm. They did wait a long time for the MDE. It was almost 2am by the time they got to our room. They were kind enough to give them a ride to our room though. At any point, I never stopped at the front desk as we didn't really need any activities calendar. I did hate how long it takes for the guards to scan the MBs. And we went to AoA a few times to meet up with some people and for some reason, their MB scanner never worked. They always just looked for some form of ID. I do miss the paper parking passes. It was a lot quicker for a quick glance at it.

Can't you use the outside lane at the guard shack and not wait for security to scan your band?

:earsboy: Bill

Wow! It sounds like they system is working pretty good! I'm so excited. We are going to get there pretty early, around 1 p.m. so I want to be able to use the pool while we wait. We don't do the parks on arrival day, we just relax, maybe go downtown or to the boardwalk. I can't wait! Not till November for us, but the clock is ticking!

I think most people would like to have a room they find desirable. I feel it's very important to at least be satisfied with you room. On my last trip, I had to go back to the front desk twice to get a good room. I'm going to try online check-in this November at Poly. I have a list of all the rooms I wouldn't mind being assigned. If they give me something I do not want, I will go to the desk and see what they can do for me. I've never been disappointed....but there's always the first time. I will go back to the front desk, until I get something suitable. I won't be upset or angry...just persistent! LOL!

I don't think we were given the direct to room option for our two check-ins this month. Then again, we arrived at both resorts early....probably before housekeeping was in full swing. I more or less know what room numbers are not desirable at my favorite resorts, so when I do get the direct to room, I will stop at the front desk anyway if I get one of the two worst ever BoardWalk view one bedrooms. The only thing about being persistent about a room change (when you already have the category....which is only what the resort is obligated to provide) is that someone else that has already been pre-assigned that room will now get the less desirable room.

We got the paper pass from the guard when we checked in to BoardWalk a couple of weeks ago. I told him I thought they were eliminating them, and he said that as of right now, they are still "in limbo".....because it is difficult to figure out who belongs in the lot without seeing the paper pass in the windshield. How did your luggage get to your room if you did a food store stop? Can your luggage go on DME without a person riding? I have been tempted to do this, but if someone's luggage is going to be misplaced, it will be mine.

do you need to leave a credit card (or can you opt out) for on-line check in. We won't give our CC's anymore after 2 of our cards were used by someone from Disney 2 years ago.

do you need to leave a credit card (or can you opt out) for on-line check in. We won't give our CC's anymore after 2 of our cards were used by someone from Disney 2 years ago.

My daughter and grandson both did online checkin without cc and both got their room numbers texted to them.

We got the paper pass from the guard when we checked in to BoardWalk a couple of weeks ago. I told him I thought they were eliminating them, and he said that as of right now, they are still "in limbo".....because it is difficult to figure out who belongs in the lot without seeing the paper pass in the windshield. How did your luggage get to your room if you did a food store stop? Can your luggage go on DME without a person riding? I have been tempted to do this, but if someone's luggage is going to be misplaced, it will be mine.

I had wondered about how they were going to tell if a car was supposed to be there or not!

We just got back and received parking passes the same as we always have in the past both at BWV and at AKV. Direct to room though? Nope - neither time.

To me, it would make sense to just issue a paper parking pass the first time you drive through the guardhouse. I liked direct to room but scanning the MB took longer than a quick glance at the windshield. They're already saving paper by not printing all that other welcome packet info. One piece of paper isn't going to hurt that much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter