dining log stardate 2023.01.23 to 2023.02.01

Saw your accidental posts on the Takumi-Tei thread and was glad because it led me here! I'm super looking forward to seeing all of your foodie adventures!

View attachment 734441
The duck breast appetizer. Comes with a bit of pasta. Very tasty, question why this isnt an entree at a bigger size.

I agree that this would be awesome as an entree. I guess I could always just order two next time.
If @ElizaDoesDisney ever sees this thread: I attempted to schedule omakase at Morimoto, with a reservation request on their website followed by a call since you don't get a notification or anything that they received the online request. I never received a call back. Maybe they were booked the day I had an opening on, maybe not every request rates a call back, I don't know. Since I was iffy on whether I wanted to do it anyway I'm not super broken up about it, but I would have gone through with it had it been easier to set up.
That's too bad. I've tried like three times through the website - I've gotten a call back every time, but the first two were voicemails saying they had no availability on the day(s) I requested. This time I got the magic call --- just sheer dumb luck.

The Be Our Guest meal looks very good. I'm glad to see it. I was disappointed in my last meal there, but it's been years and maybe it's time to try again.

And California Grill too? Did you go straight at opening? Or just luck into a seat? I've tried a couple times, but never scored a bar seat there on walk-up.

View attachment 734602
Citricos bill from last night. So I had no reservation there, I simply showed up at five and ate at what started off as an empty bar, but was mostly full two hours later. Service was good, food was good though I wasn't super wowed by anything? The chocolatey Manhattan and the duck breast and pasta were the standouts.
I was going to ask if you got the blue cheese olives in your martini then saw it on the receipt. Citrico's is one of my favorites!

Moving the posts I accidentally posted in the Takumi-Tei thread last night over to here.

IMG_20230125_202409_940[5097].jpg

Patio dining at Tony's. It was extremely easy to request a patio table at 8:30 last night.

IMG_20230125_203555_680_2.jpg

Fried mozz at Tony's. This was fine? Could use a little more seasoning in the breading.

IMG_20230125_203531_720.jpg

Drank half my Little Italy cocktail before I remembered to take a picture. If I understand my waiter correctly the three cocktails on their menu arrived premixed, so you cannot order the individual components from them, or any liquor (other than beer and wine) other than the three cocktails. This one involves Knob Creek and vermouth and Amaro Averna. Quite respectable for a premixed drink.

IMG_20230125_204541_316_2.jpg

They don't skimp on the garlic bread here.

IMG_20230125_211200_141.jpg

And I said, why not? Why not good old spaghetti and meatballs? The meatballs were respectable, though meatballs are one of those things restaurants never do as well as whatever your family recipe is. Also pictured: a nice chianti.

IMG_20230125_213000_949[5098].jpg

Tony's bill. I'm glad I went here, sort of wish I had gone a little hungrier but I am trying to fit in as many different dining experiences as I can. (A doggie bag was involved at the end.) The patio is great for crowd watching. A reasonable recreation of every American town's casual Italian restaurant.

IMG_20230126_005309_760[5099].jpg

When it's almost 1 AM at the Magic Kingdom and you might be nearing the end of your personal tolerance for extra magic...you get some Casey's, a chili cheese dog in this case. This is a fork and knife hot dog.

EDIT: And I should say, this was a fine example of this genre of food. Casey's is the Cosmic Ray's of hot dogs.

Last edited:
I did want to add, re: Be Our Guest: my understanding is it is not as beloved by people who are bigger Disney heads than me (people who have been coming here much longer than me) because it is not as good as it was in the past. I have never been there in the past, this was my first time. The only thing I would say against it is that it did seem to be a bit of a rushed experience, they do not want you lingering over your meal there. But I thought the food was quite good.

And California Grill too? Did you go straight at opening? Or just luck into a seat? I've tried a couple times, but never scored a bar seat there on walk-up.

No, after I left MK I decided to wander over to the Contemporary just to see where everything was. This was around 6 PM. Wait time was ten minutes on the app so I said, what the heck. While I was up there I said to myself, knowing California Grill's reputation, should I skip Tony's and get hit with the late cancellation fee, just sit here at the bar and try to extend my meal out to fireworks time? But my goal for yesterday (my only MK day this trip) was to eat at MK restaurants, so I stuck to my goal. (shrugs) The short rib wontons were really good though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter