Different Park Touring Styles Question

mocame

Mouseketeer
I am going to DL and DCA for the first time and will be going with my adult DD, her best friend, and my friend. We are all experienced with WDW but this is the first time going together. My DD and I are rope droppers, tour commando-style, and we want to do and see everything. The other two are not and don't want to have a park plan at all. We have set aside 3 days for DL and 2 days for DCA. We are going next month. This is probably my only time going to DL/DCA.

Can everything be done at DL and DCA at a somewhat leisurely pace in that timeframe? They have scheduled an 8:00AM breakfast 1 morning in each park so I know we will be missing the golden hour of park touring those two days. The only ride/attraction I don't want to do is Mickeys Fun Wheel but some rides (like Incredicoaster, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Radiator Racers, I would like to do twice. Haunted Mansion, Tiana's Bayou, and Winnie The Pooh will not be running while we are there. We also plan on taking a break in the afternoon before going back to the parks for dinner and the evening.

Any advice as to how to handle park touring with such different styles? I was thinking of trying to get there at rope drop, hit a few major rides, sprinkle in some Genie+, and then leisurely hit the not-as-popular smaller rides in the area around those bigger attractions. Has anyone gone with someone who toured differently and how did you handle it?

I am going to DL and DCA for the first time and will be going with my adult DD, her best friend, and my friend. We are all experienced with WDW but this is the first time going together. My DD and I are rope droppers, tour commando-style, and we want to do and see everything. The other two are not and don't want to have a park plan at all. We have set aside 3 days for DL and 2 days for DCA. We are going next month. This is probably my only time going to DL/DCA.

Can everything be done at DL and DCA at a somewhat leisurely pace in that timeframe? They have scheduled an 8:00AM breakfast 1 morning in each park so I know we will be missing the golden hour of park touring those two days. The only ride/attraction I don't want to do is Mickeys Fun Wheel but some rides (like Incredicoaster, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Radiator Racers, I would like to do twice. Haunted Mansion, Tiana's Bayou, and Winnie The Pooh will not be running while we are there. We also plan on taking a break in the afternoon before going back to the parks for dinner and the evening.

Any advice as to how to handle park touring with such different styles? I was thinking of trying to get there at rope drop, hit a few major rides, sprinkle in some Genie+, and then leisurely hit the not-as-popular smaller rides in the area around those bigger attractions. Has anyone gone with someone who toured differently and how did you handle it?
We Never do an opening breakfast in the parks! It takes up too much prime time....
But we will schedule one about 1.5 to 2 hours after rope drop.
That way we are able to take advantage of possibly shorter lines for the rides.

I recommend seeing if the group is willing to reschedule those two ADR's to a little later in the morning.

Can you move those breakfasts? It’s kind of tragic to get all the way into the park at 8am and then not reap the benefits… 10 or even 9 would let you get so much more done!

Having said that, even if you can’t, you have lots of days, so you’ll be fine. Maybe you and your daughter can stay later at night and knock out some rides then while they head back and rest?

I’d be really tempted to opt out of at least one of those breakfasts, though… 😬

Can you move those breakfasts? It’s kind of tragic to get all the way into the park at 8am and then not reap the benefits… 10 or even 9 would let you get so much more done!

Having said that, even if you can’t, you have lots of days, so you’ll be fine. Maybe you and your daughter can stay later at night and knock out some rides then while they head back and rest?

I’d be really tempted to opt out of at least one of those breakfasts, though… 😬

I know. I would rather eat breakfast in my hotel room, rope drop, and get stuff done. But it is part of their tradition of going to the parks, so I wanted to honor that. Yes, I think we may have to go separate ways sometimes, unfortunately, so we can get everything in that we want to do but I was hoping to avoid it as much as possible.

I know. I would rather eat breakfast in my hotel room, rope drop, and get stuff done. But it is part of their tradition of going to the parks, so I wanted to honor that. Yes, I think we may have to go separate ways sometimes, unfortunately, so we can get everything in that we want to do but I was hoping to avoid it as much as possible.

Even though it is part of their tradition to do breakfast early in the park, is it everyone's tradition? Is rope drop your tradition? Perhaps there could be a compromise and do breakfast one day and rope drop the other day. I would rope drop Disneyland for sure, you can get so much done in that first hour.

Even though it is part of their tradition to do breakfast early in the park, is it everyone's tradition? Is rope drop your tradition? Perhaps there could be a compromise and do breakfast one day and rope drop the other day. I would rope drop Disneyland for sure, you can get so much done in that first hour.
We will be rope dropping two of the three days in DL, and one of the two days in DCA. I'm hoping that's enough to knock out a lot of the rides.

Yeah... you need some good conversations about expectations. Look for compromises. Their traditions are not more important than yours, and vice versa. If someone insists on their touring style only, then that is fine, but it might mean that they will be touring on their own from time to time.

I would just suggest to not forget about yourself (and DD), this is your trip too. Saying yes to them, might mean saying no to yourself.

Yeah... you need some good conversations about expectations. Look for compromises. Their traditions are not more important than yours, and vice versa. If someone insists on their touring style only, then that is fine, but it might mean that they will be touring on their own from time to time.

I would just suggest to not forget about yourself (and DD), this is your trip too. Saying yes to them, might mean saying no to yourself.
I agree with this. If they don't want to change at least one of the breakfasts then you and your daughter could go do your own thing that morning. Are you able to add hoppers? That would add flexibility.

With 5 days you should be able to get almost everything done. Have fun!

Yes, we do have park hoppers. I forgot to mention that. Thank you! I hope we can get everything done and still relax too!

Could you do some quick service places like Jolly Holiday and Red Rose Tavern? Jolly Holiday has an incredible patio that sets you up right in front of the castle. That's better, in my opinion, than any full service breakfast option.
I love having breakfast at Jolly Holiday and watching the people and ducks! I always forget Red Rose tavern has breakfast, but that's such a nice restaurant.

Keep in mind that not every ride in Disneyland offers LL.
Especially the classic attractions in Disneyland. So if those attractions are important, park opening is important if you want to experience very short waits. Only near closing are those same attractions less busy.

We will be rope dropping two of the three days in DL, and one of the two days in DCA. I'm hoping that's enough to knock out a lot of the rides.
That is plenty. When we rope drop, we regularly get everything done we want to get done in two days (one at each park). Our third day is usually clean-up and secondsies and entertainment etc. With Genie Plus (and knowing how to game it with refreshes and/or MEP accelerations if you get lucky), you can do quite a bit.

One thing to consider, though, is Early Entry. Are you staying on property? If so, then you can use Early Entry to your advantage. If you are not staying on site, I would recommend rope dropping on days that the park you are starting at does not have Early Entry, so as to put yourself on equal footing.

Have a great trip!

It sounds to me like the compromise is already in place. You have 5 mornings in the parks. There is a breakfast reservation for everyone at 8 am on 2 mornings, one in Disneyland and one in DCA. That leaves 3 mornings for whatever you like.

I *personally* love a breakfast reservation on some of my days, but everyone is different. It doesn't sound like they're trying to take over control, but be clear with them. If it's something you would prefer to skip, then just tell them truthfully that you guys would rather do rides at that time of the day and you'll meet up with them later. I don't see how that could offend anyone.

It definitely makes a difference that this may be your only trip to DLR. You could also cut it back to *one* reserved meal for your part of the group.

The worst thing to do is not to speak up if you really don't want to be a part of the dining plan. You don't want to feel resentment later.

That is plenty. When we rope drop, we regularly get everything done we want to get done in two days (one at each park). Our third day is usually clean-up and secondsies and entertainment etc. With Genie Plus (and knowing how to game it with refreshes and/or MEP accelerations if you get lucky), you can do quite a bit.

One thing to consider, though, is Early Entry. Are you staying on property? If so, then you can use Early Entry to your advantage. If you are not staying on site, I would recommend rope dropping on days that the park you are starting at does not have Early Entry, so as to put yourself on equal footing.

Have a great trip!
No, we are not staying on property but a 5 minute walk to the parks. I'm hoping I can pop over there quickly if I want to.

I have just left DL. I had breakfast at the Red Rose Tavern on most days. The quinoa bowl is great!
Is that plant based? I'm looking for some good plant based food!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter