Did anybody watch Billy Joel's concert special on CBS today?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
Tonight CBS aired Billy Joel's 100th concert special at Madison Square Garden and I would like to ask if anyone watched it tonight? I heard so much about it that I didn't even know it was gonna be on today until I was putting new movies and shows in my Paramount+ queue and it popped up and I added it to my Paramount+ queue. I would love to see it just to see Dodger as a human sing

Didn't watch it on CBS, but I will watch it on Paramount+.

I saw Billy Joel in concert 15 or 20 years ago... it was a good show. I love his music.

I watched it last night. I thought it was a good show. I like his music and so much of it brings me back to my high school and college years. I've never seen him live.

I watched it last night. I thought it was a good show. I like his music and so much of it brings me back to my high school and college years. I've never seen him live.
Ah yes...memories of my misspent youth! :goodvibes I’ve seen him live a couple of times, most recently a few years ago in LA at the Hollywood Bowl. A good show in an amazing, iconic location.

It is in my queue to be watched later. I have had the fortune to see him live a couple of times and he puts on an amazing show.

I watched it and loved it! I have tickets for his Cleveland concert in Sept. He will be performing, along with Rod Stewart! It will be fantastic!

I didn’t watch it as I’ve seen him a bunch of times but I guess they started late because of golf coverage and cut him off mid piano man on the east coast. My friends who did watch were bummed.

I didn’t watch it as I’ve seen him a bunch of times but I guess they started late because of golf coverage and cut him off mid piano man on the east coast. My friends who did watch were bummed.
I'm on the east coast. It did start late (9:31pm instead of 9pm), but I didn't notice that they cut Piano Man short -- in fact he was done and had stood up, waving to the crowd and walking off stage when it ended (slightly more than 2 hours at maybe 11:34pm). It wasn't live, so possibly cuts were made to fit the 2-hour time TV time slot vs the original concert. Maybe the local station cut at 11:30?

I watched it.
Thought it was pretty good but not as good as when I went to a concert probably going on 20 years ago. I mean he is that much older so for his age he's still got it.

I'm on the east coast. It did start late (9:31pm instead of 9pm), but I didn't notice that they cut Piano Man short -- in fact he was done and had stood up, waving to the crowd and walking off stage when it ended (slightly more than 2 hours at maybe 11:34pm). It wasn't live, so possibly cuts were made to fit the 2-hour time TV time slot vs the original concert. Maybe the local station cut at 11:30?

Yes, I think that it was the local affiliates that cut in, and it's possible that they didn't all do it. Some local stations don't care as their own airtime is valuable to them so they don't want to delay the local news. If they were paying attention, they might wait. For the record, I didn't watch it.

I’m a big fan, have been to several of his concerts, and was watching. NYC station cut off abruptly in the middle of Piano Man. So yes, only a few minutes short, but IMO, it’s the principle. This show was heavily promoted for weeks, and it just seemed disrespectful to Billy and to viewers. CBS does this all the time when sports run overtime on Sundays, and it’s annoying.

What’s maybe more disappointing is that only about half the set list from the 100th MSG show made it to the special, which was out of sequence and heavily edited. I wish they would’ve shown the concert in its entirety, or at least included more songs.

Last edited:
I got to see the Billy Joel 100th Madison Square Garden concert special on Paramount+ this morning and it was great but they could added more songs and they SHOULD'VE added Why Should I Worry to his setlist because it would've been cool to see Billy perform as Dodger singing it. But at least An Innocent Man was featured and they should've put more songs from the An Innocent Man album like Leave A Tender Moment Alone and Keeping The Faith and Uptown Girl. But I think it mainly focused on Billy Joel's early albums like The Stranger and Piano Man. I really can't figure out why people who anticipated this concert are complaining about it ending in the middle of Piano Man? I think CBS mainly shortened the concert so other shows and local news programming could begin but I do hope there is an album with the whole setlist intact so fans can listen to it? I wonder what Billy Joel has said to CBS about what they did to his special concert? Has he spoken to CBS about what caused his show to end very quickly?

CBS to Re-Air Billy Joel Concert Special After Final Minutes Cut Off​

1713272878831.png

CBS is apologizing for a timing mixup that cut off the final moments of a Billy Joel concert special for many viewers Sunday night.

Viewers in the Eastern and Central time zones missed the final two minutes of Billy Joel: The 100th - Live at Madison Square Garden when the program cut abruptly to local news telecasts. Joel was singing the final verse of "Piano Man" when the screen went black and then cut to local newscasts

CBS blamed a timing error for the snafu and says it will re-air the special on Friday.

"A network programming timing error ended last night's Billy Joel special approximately two minutes early in the Eastern and Central Time Zones," the network said in a statement. "We apologize to Mr. Joel, his fans, our affiliated stations, and our audience whose viewing experience was interrupted during the last song. Due to the overwhelming demand from his legion of fans, Billy Joel: The 100th - Live at Madison Square Garden will be rebroadcast in its entirety on CBS on April 19 at 9 p.m. ET/PT."

CBS does that all the time when they schedule some highly publicized special right after a major sporting event. Those can run over for any number of reasons and then CBS acts all 'surprised' that things got messed up .....................LOL. Good thing is I can DVR it and skip over all of those annoying commercials which are mostly for some prescription drug I can only get from my doctor.

The Masters should present Billy with an honorary Green Jacket-he can wear it the next time he plays Piano Man.lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter