DAS for an adult

LadyD

DIS Veteran
Hello there! I'm working on planning our upcoming trip to WDW and I think the DAS is something that could potentially help me, but I don't know if it is even worth going to Guest Relations to try and get. I understand a DAS pass is something based on the needs of an individual and their ability (or lack there of) to wait in a standard queue environment and it is not tied to a specific diagnosis.

Some background to maybe help see where I'm coming from: I recently found out a lot of what I struggle with in life is because I'm actually autistic (I'm very high functioning) and it has caused me to really think about some of my previous Disney trips, how I felt in the parks, and to recognize that I regularly have meltdowns while visiting Disney. I've recognized that even though I'm an adult, there can come a certain point in a day at the parks, depending on what has happened, that I become incapable of waiting in a line over about 30 minutes without having a meltdown. While I'm working on strategies to help me cope better while in the parks and learning to recognize some of the triggers that send me down into a spiral so I can avoid meltdowns, I do think having an alternative to waiting in the standard queue available to me might be beneficial when I'm pushed to my limits.

My question is this. Will a Guest Relations CM take me seriously as an adult if I tell them I struggle with waiting in a standard queue environment and need the ability to access a quiet, more open space at times? Is it even worth going and asking, or should I just prepare myself for possible line meltdowns? There is nothing about briefly interacting with me that makes it in any way apparent that I am less capable than any other adult to wait in a line for a ride. I do struggle with verbalizing my needs in an articulate, coherent manner, so I'm not sure I'll be able to explain the why I need a DAS pass well other than "Come and see me in line 8 hours from now. I'll be the adult rocking and cursing in line and wishing terrible things upon the small children screaming around me, and I'll ultimately burst into tears and go running out of the park back to my hotel room without even riding the ride." Yeah that has happened a few times... I guess in part I'm struggling with this because as an adult, you're expected to be able to wait in a line for a ride, so I don't know how a CM would believe me that sometimes I just can't.

First, if you think it's going to hard for you to articulate your needs, write a short note which says exactly that, with a few bullet points that state your issues in a queue. Second, if you're worried that you won't get it, have a touring and FP+ plan that will maximize what you feel you can do in a day. But if you don't even try, you definitely won't get a DAS, so you may as well go in with an expect the best, plan for the worst attitude. If you think that you can get more done first thing in the morning and then go back to get the DAS midday, that seems like a reasonable plan as well.

I cannot say with certainty if your inability to wait in some lines, maybe sometimes, will allow you to get a DAS.

our strategy is simple: if the standby line is longer than x minutes, we don't get in, period.

use a good touring plan, schedule your FP+ for the must do rides and be prepared to make changes on the fly.

NO ONE likes to stand in line for a long time, and we ALL get annoyed with the kids swinging on the chains, screaming and generally being loud.

Yes you can get a DAS and be an adult. So if you think the DAS will help you go to GR and ask for one.

about being able to explain your needs you can write down your need, Think of what makes lines hard for you, and why waiting out side of them will help you. The CM might ask you a question or two.

Is there anything you can do to help your self in line, like ear plugs, if so bring it. ( I always bring some thing to play with that is soft like a pice of cloth, to help me)

Hi. I am sorry for your painful struggles. I think it is def worth trying for a DAS card. Do you travel with anyone? When we go to GR my wife always helps me articulate my needs. They don't mind at all. If not then as others said maybe write it down. The CM are so much nicer than you think they will be and very understanding. They are there to help you. They have always been good to me. In the all years we have been going with my progressive conditions. Plus I am mildly Autistic too. So social settings and crowds can be hard I know.

There is no age limit to receiving a DAS, but we cannot tell you with any certainty if they will give you one or not. As PPs have said, go to guest services and describe your needs. In the meantime, continue working on strategies to help you improve your experience in the parks. If you have sensory issues with noise, would bringing an iPod to the parks with headphones or earbuds to listen to calming music help? For DD, we used to have noise reducing headphones (the big earmuff type ones) to help her deal with noise, but as an adult I don't know if you'd feel comfortable wearing that type. DD now uses her ipod in place of the headphones.

Would taking a mid-day break help you? I find DD does better if we stay in the parks for about 4 hours in the morning, then leave to take a break at the resort. We will come back to the parks in the evening for a few more hours.

First, if you think it's going to hard for you to articulate your needs, write a short note which says exactly that, with a few bullet points that state your issues in a queue. Second, if you're worried that you won't get it, have a touring and FP+ plan that will maximize what you feel you can do in a day. But if you don't even try, you definitely won't get a DAS, so you may as well go in with an expect the best, plan for the worst attitude. If you think that you can get more done first thing in the morning and then go back to get the DAS midday, that seems like a reasonable plan as well.

Bringing things written out would be immensely helpful so I don't just panic and go blank. I didn't realize that was something I could do. Thank you for the tip!

Yeah we have a park touring plan set up and ready to go, there are just a lot of variables out of my control (like if it turns out to be an unusually busy day in the park) and having the DAS pass would help give me some peace of mind that I don't have to play the game of feel like I'm missing out on my vacation or risk having a full blown meltdown.

Yes you can get a DAS and be an adult. So if you think the DAS will help you go to GR and ask for one.

about being able to explain your needs you can write down your need, Think of what makes lines hard for you, and why waiting out side of them will help you. The CM might ask you a question or two.

Is there anything you can do to help your self in line, like ear plugs, if so bring it. ( I always bring some thing to play with that is soft like a pice of cloth, to help me)

I usually research on my phone when I can, but some of the indoor queue areas that I struggle with the most do not have reception/wifi. I'm still trying to find ear plugs that work for me. Most of them are either ineffective or uncomfortable from what I've found so far. I'm hoping I can find something that works by the time my trip comes up in May.

Hi. I am sorry for your painful struggles. I think it is def worth trying for a DAS card. Do you travel with anyone? When we go to GR my wife always helps me articulate my needs. They don't mind at all. If not then as others said maybe write it down. The CM are so much nicer than you think they will be and very understanding. They are there to help you. They have always been good to me. In the all years we have been going with my progressive conditions. Plus I am mildly Autistic too. So social settings and crowds can be hard I know.

That is really good to know as an adult you can still have someone help articulate your needs to them and you don't have to do it yourself. My wife will be with me this trip. I think might just write a note summarizing my needs and have her handle the actual talking to people part since that can be really stressful for me, or at least go in with a plan of her stepping in if I'm getting overwhelmed. She really is wonderful and super helpful when I need it.

There is no age limit to receiving a DAS, but we cannot tell you with any certainty if they will give you one or not. As PPs have said, go to guest services and describe your needs. In the meantime, continue working on strategies to help you improve your experience in the parks. If you have sensory issues with noise, would bringing an iPod to the parks with headphones or earbuds to listen to calming music help? For DD, we used to have noise reducing headphones (the big earmuff type ones) to help her deal with noise, but as an adult I don't know if you'd feel comfortable wearing that type. DD now uses her ipod in place of the headphones.

Would taking a mid-day break help you? I find DD does better if we stay in the parks for about 4 hours in the morning, then leave to take a break at the resort. We will come back to the parks in the evening for a few more hours.

I wish listening to music helped me. When I'm getting overwhelmed with noises, even listening to my chosen music can be too much for me. I'm not opposed to noise cancelling headphones if I can't find ear plugs that work. I really don't care how I appear to others. I rather be happy and comfortable. Plus an adult wearing headphones looks a lot better than an adult having a full blown meltdown.

Since we will have friends with us for most of this trip, taking a midday break is not really a good option this time (it would be a different story if it was just my wife and me). They only have one day in each park, and they really want to spend time with us, so I don't want to let them down. We have built in down days though so I at least get a break to recoup and reset my brain every couple of days.

I cannot say with certainty if your inability to wait in some lines, maybe sometimes, will allow you to get a DAS.

our strategy is simple: if the standby line is longer than x minutes, we don't get in, period.

use a good touring plan, schedule your FP+ for the must do rides and be prepared to make changes on the fly.

NO ONE likes to stand in line for a long time, and we ALL get annoyed with the kids swinging on the chains, screaming and generally being loud.

Usually I would just bypass things if the lines are too long for me, like I do at Disneyland, but that won't work for this trip. Since we're going with friends who live in a different state than us that I rarely get to see and they are going to WDW for their first (and likely only) time, I really need to do everything I can to get on the rides with them. Changes on the fly are a problem for me and compound my issues. There is only so much change I can handle before I'm done. I need to do what I can to prevent myself from ending up in a situation where none of the scenarios I had planned for will work and I need to come up with something else on the spot. It just doesn't end well, and usually I've done enough planning and research that I don't end up in that situation, but it is impossible to account for every possible scenario.

Thanks everyone for your input. It makes me feel better about asking for some accommodations and like I won't be written off just because I'm an adult! Are there any resources out there that show step by step what it is like inquiring about a DAS pass with a script/video? Seeing things like that help me prepare so I at least know the process inside and out and there is less that could overwhelm me.

Are there any resources out there that show step by step what it is like inquiring about a DAS pass with a script/video?

The DISboards does not allow posting of scripts. As you stated in your first post, each individual can have different needs. Think about your own needs. Take a piece of paper and start writing some notes; add to it tomorrow or next week or whenever. Then shortly before your trip, consolidate that into a few specific bullet points (short and sweet is better than long and wordy). Have your wife help articulate if needed.

I will say one key thing we've found is to "know your own limits." If you feel yourself edging towards that breaking point, don't be afraid to say "enough, I need a break, you guys go on ahead and I'll meet you at XXX after." Will you miss a ride or two with your friends? Yes. But it may save you from completely losing the entire rest of the afternoon and dinner and evening plans. Everybody has limits, your friends may actually be happy to take a rest break as well and glad you suggest it.

Enjoy your vacation!

The DISboards does not allow posting of scripts. As you stated in your first post, each individual can have different needs. Think about your own needs. Take a piece of paper and start writing some notes; add to it tomorrow or next week or whenever. Then shortly before your trip, consolidate that into a few specific bullet points (short and sweet is better than long and wordy). Have your wife help articulate if needed.

I will say one key thing we've found is to "know your own limits." If you feel yourself edging towards that breaking point, don't be afraid to say "enough, I need a break, you guys go on ahead and I'll meet you at XXX after." Will you miss a ride or two with your friends? Yes. But it may save you from completely losing the entire rest of the afternoon and dinner and evening plans. Everybody has limits, your friends may actually be happy to take a rest break as well and glad you suggest it.

Enjoy your vacation!

Sorry my question was not more clear. I mean script as in what the CM will ask and how they will interact with me so I can walk myself through the process and prepare adequate responses. I know everyone is going to have their own, unique responses during their interaction with the CM, but I wasn't sure if what the CM asks and how they interact with you is standard or not. Removing the variable of what to expect from the CM helps me a lot and feel more confident about being able to successfully navigate the process.

I'm definitely working to learn and identify my limits. Only recently being diagnosed, I feel like I'm playing a lot of catch up and trying to figure out what my limits truly are and my subsequent needs vs my desires and wants. So much of what I have naturally felt is a limit and what my resulting needs are due to that limit I have been conditioned growing up to just "suck it up and deal with it," (which I have done poorly) so it is definitely a process untangling that. Taking a break might be a good option if I can find a quiet space to be left alone. The only park really giving me anxiety at this point is MK because it is basically just my worst nightmare.

Even before I realized what was going on with me, my wife has had to lead me through the small world/peter pan area across fantasyland by the carousel and out to the other side while I close my eyes and hold my hands over my ears because I just cannot deal with that area of the park. We avoid it as much as we can and break up the rides in that area to throughout the day to minimize how much time I have to be in that area at once.

The CM will ask you what your need are in line. (But every CM is different). If you find your self needing a break you can go to fist aid at each park.

I use ear protector when I. The park and you are right it is your vacation you will not see anyone again

Sorry my question was not more clear. I mean script as in what the CM will ask and how they will interact with me so I can walk myself through the process and prepare adequate responses. I know everyone is going to have their own, unique responses during their interaction with the CM, but I wasn't sure if what the CM asks and how they interact with you is standard or not. Removing the variable of what to expect from the CM helps me a lot and feel more confident about being able to successfully navigate the process.

When I requested the DAS last year I was at Animal Kingdom. I walked up to the Guest Services line where a cast member standing outside the line asked me how they could help me. I told them I was requesting a disability pass. They told me which window to go to. When I arrived at the window I told them I was requesting a DAS for myself. I had written in advance some bullet points to help me organize my thoughts and my husband helped fill in some info that I forgot to mention. After they approved my request for a DAS they asked for my magic band as well as the magic bands of the family members (my husband and children) who were with me. They discussed the process of the DAS with me. They took my picture with what appeared to be an ipad. The whole process took less than 5 minutes.

Hope that helps! I have problems engaging in new situations due to a brain injury from a car accident so I completely understand the request to understand how the process may go. It definitely helps me to see, hear and then visualize how a new situation is going to play out. I can't say for sure that your experience will be just like mine, but expect to have your picture taken and your magic band scanned (along with those you are traveling with) if you are approved, they are constants in the DAS approval process. I have an invisible disability as well so I am always nervous requesting the DAS.

The first time I went to a ride CM to request a return time I was a little awkward but I came up with a phrase that I would use each time, "I would like to have a disability return time". They scanned my magic band with a large black handheld device. Occasionally they had trouble tracking down the specific CM that was carrying the device and I had to wait a few moments but that was only at rides with crazy lines where there were a large amount of CMs (like Frozen). When your return time is ready, if I remember correctly, you go to the fastpass tap areas and tap in just like anyone else.

When your return time is ready, if I remember correctly, you go to the fastpass tap areas and tap in just like anyone else.

The one thing to remember is that the person who has the DAS must tap first when you return, after that everyone attached to the DAS can tap. We needed to make sure that our son tapped first otherwise it does not work properly.

When I requested the DAS last year I was at Animal Kingdom. I walked up to the Guest Services line where a cast member standing outside the line asked me how they could help me. I told them I was requesting a disability pass. They told me which window to go to. When I arrived at the window I told them I was requesting a DAS for myself. I had written in advance some bullet points to help me organize my thoughts and my husband helped fill in some info that I forgot to mention. After they approved my request for a DAS they asked for my magic band as well as the magic bands of the family members (my husband and children) who were with me. They discussed the process of the DAS with me. They took my picture with what appeared to be an ipad. The whole process took less than 5 minutes.

Hope that helps! I have problems engaging in new situations due to a brain injury from a car accident so I completely understand the request to understand how the process may go. It definitely helps me to see, hear and then visualize how a new situation is going to play out. I can't say for sure that your experience will be just like mine, but expect to have your picture taken and your magic band scanned (along with those you are traveling with) if you are approved, they are constants in the DAS approval process. I have an invisible disability as well so I am always nervous requesting the DAS.

The first time I went to a ride CM to request a return time I was a little awkward but I came up with a phrase that I would use each time, "I would like to have a disability return time". They scanned my magic band with a large black handheld device. Occasionally they had trouble tracking down the specific CM that was carrying the device and I had to wait a few moments but that was only at rides with crazy lines where there were a large amount of CMs (like Frozen). When your return time is ready, if I remember correctly, you go to the fastpass tap areas and tap in just like anyone else.

Thank you for outlining the process! That is really helpful for me to see it laid out like that so I can start preparing for each part. I'm glad I asked or I probably would have been done after a CM asking me in line what I needed haha. Thank you for bringing up the mechanics of actually requesting a return time! I did not even think about this part.

Does your entire party have to be with you when you go to get the DAS pass? I was hoping to spare my friends having to wait with me for that and take care of it the night before they're supposed to join us in the parks. They're part of our party on MDE.

The one thing to remember is that the person who has the DAS must tap first when you return, after that everyone attached to the DAS can tap. We needed to make sure that our son tapped first otherwise it does not work properly.

Excellent to know! That is not something I realized either. Thank you :)

Last edited:
remember that each CM will ask you what your needs are but some times they will ask you in a different way, or one something a little different will happen but in general this is what the PP ( GinnyBear) said happens

remember that each CM will ask you what your needs are but some times they will ask you in a different way, or one something a little different will happen but in general this is what the PP ( GinnyBear) said happens

Thanks for the heads up. It's good to know they're not scripted like a call center for determining DAS applicability.

Thank you for outlining the process! That is really helpful for me to see it laid out like that so I can start preparing for each part. I'm glad I asked or I probably would have been done after a CM asking me in line what I needed haha. Thank you for bringing up the mechanics of actually requesting a return time! I did not even think about this part.

Does your entire party have to be with you when you go to get the DAS pass? I was hoping to spare my friends having to wait with me for that and take care of it the night before they're supposed to join us in the parks. They're part of our party on MDE.

Excellent to know! That is not something I realized either. Thank you :)

In my experience, my entire party did not have to be with me when I got my DAS. However I did need to have their admission media with me when I went to guest services. HTH

Post one of this thread lays out the whole process and should be able to answer any of your questions.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/

The rest of the thread is from just before and just after DAS came into use, so don't bother to read past the first post.

Yes, I did see that. Our friends only have a 4-day ticket (we're AP holders), and I was hoping to go into one of the parks the night before our first park day with them to inquire about the DAS pass, so their tickets wouldn't be active yet. In order to scan the magic bands of the other people in your party, do they have to have gone through the park touch point for the day, or can I just borrow their magic bands briefly to bring them to be scanned before their tickets are active if it is determined a DAS pass is an appropriate accommodation for me?

Their Magicbands need to be activated.
As far as I know, they don't have to have entered the park with them.

Once they are checked into a resort or their park tickets were linked to their Magicbands, they would be active.
Only the CMs at Guest Relations can deal with DAS questions, but the concierge at your resort would be able to deal with questions about whether the Magicbands are active.

I tried to get my friends only DAS when I got there a few hours before them and the CM told me they must be in the park to do this, I have tried this 3 different times and each time was told they had to be in the parks. You can try to di this the day before but just no there might be a chance the CM says no. If you are worried about wasting park time in the morning, HS, MK not sure about AK but they all let guest in the park a little before the rest of the park opens the other areas of the park so you could get in and get out before the rest of the park opens, EPOCT is the one park I know GR is beyond where they stop you, but after getting your DAS card and all the people added to it you can simply ask to get a return time for an attraction then, when ever I ask ( and most of the time the CM will ask me) I have Benn given a return time and by the time I walk to the attraction my time is up and I just walk on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter