DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

That makes your motivation clear. It is not that your primary interest is in providing appropriate services to the disabled. It is your belief that this impedes your access to the LL and you resent it…. because you paid and they didn’t… believe that Disney can address their needs without impinging on your experience. So it is self interest… which is fine when it’s you. But not when it’s someone else who is articulating self interest. When others offer alternative experiences you are conveniently dismissive… as though yours is the only one that is valid. Because it’s really you and your experience.
And you project that… my relative sat on a bench and was happy as we used our Genie + to have a swell time going from attraction to attraction. That is not the experience of the most DAS families… again and again people have posted the struggle…how few rides they can do, leaving the park. You have none of that anxiety before or during your trip.

I’m genuinely concerned how this will affect families… most of whom “pay” for their disabilities every single day… and with the worry and emotional toll it takes. I’m praying that this place can remain a refuge of happiness and escape from the day to day challenges… for the children and the child in all of us.
Let’s be honest, providing accommodations for those that need it isn’t Disney’s primary motivation either, their motivation is to make more money off of Genie+, otherwise they would go back to offering some form of free Fastpass/Lightning Lane/whatever, perhaps with paid upgrades to the service. This would be the fastest way to reduce abuse of the system and make it work. Remember Fastpass+ worked most of the time quite well for a long time and was free for everyone, it can be done.

Consider there is only enough of this prescription drug for 100 people, and 1000 people currently have a prescription. So they say, well these 10 people's symptoms need it beyond a doubt. The other 990, let's see what else might work for them. Once everyone works through the alternate options, maybe only 80-90 end up back on the prescription, and now there is enough for everyone who really needs it and can't make the alternative work.
Except your extension of that analogy is disengenous. There is enough of the accomodation to go around. It's worked for years, and only once Disney started getting greedy, has it become such a big problem.

Consider instead this: There is enough of this prescription drug for 10000 people, but the company wants to market 99% of it as a weight loss drug, which they can charge twice as much for, so they make deals with the insurance company to force the 1000 legitimate people to try their less effective (and in some cases potentially harmful) alternatives to preserve profits.

That makes your motivation clear. It is not that your primary interest is in providing appropriate services to the disabled. It is your belief that this impedes your access to the LL and you resent it…. because you paid and they didn’t… believe that Disney can address their needs without impinging on your experience. So it is self interest… which is fine when it’s you. But not when it’s someone else who is articulating self interest. When others offer alternative experiences you are conveniently dismissive… as though yours is the only one that is valid. Because it’s really you and your experience.
And you project that… my relative sat on a bench and was happy as we used our Genie + to have a swell time going from attraction to attraction. That is not the experience of the most DAS families… again and again people have posted the struggle…how few rides they can do, leaving the park. You have none of that anxiety before or during your trip.

I’m genuinely concerned how this will affect families… most of whom “pay” for their disabilities every single day… and with the worry and emotional toll it takes. I’m praying that this place can remain a refuge of happiness and escape from the day to day challenges… for the children and the child in all of us.
In park operations, there needs to be a balance, and until now, that balance has been way off due to DAS abuse and overuse. Yes, the ADA requires reasonable accommodations, but within parameters.

It can’t be provide all of the desired accommodations regardless of how it affects non-disabled (and other disabled) guests, nor can it be screw the disabled we only care about non-disabled guests.

Disney is seeking that balance, and cutting back on DAS use and party sizes is a reasonable step, IMO.

As for how difficult life is for the disabled, no question, it’s much more challenging. But it isn’t up to Disney to make up for those challenges, just to provide reasonable accommodations.

In park operations, there needs to be a balance, and until now, that balance has been way off due to DAS abuse and overuse. Yes, the ADA requires reasonable accommodations, but within parameters.

It can’t be provide all of the desired accommodations regardless of how it affects non-disabled (and other disabled) guests, nor can it be screw the disabled we only care about non-disabled guests.

Disney is seeking that balance, and cutting back on DAS use and party sizes is a reasonable step, IMO.

As for how difficult life is for the disabled, no question, it’s much more challenging. But it isn’t up to Disney to make up for those challenges, just to provide reasonable accommodations.
I would disagree on what could be considered reasonable accommodations.

Hearing some of the stories of people getting denied today is really sad though - a person who has epilepsy and was told if they feel a seizure coming on to just let it happen and then exit the line and head for first aid and they could return to the queue? One woman said she goes with her 5 year old grandchild and was told to leave the line and her 5 year old grandchild could hold her place in line. She repeated to the CM multiple times that it was a 5 year old, and the CM did not waver and repeated the 5 year old could wait in line by themselves.

The people being trained seem to be focused primarily on lowering the number of people using DAS and not looking at things on a case by case basis. I get the goal is to lower the number of people using DAS, but they don't seem to be applying much common sense here. Sure there are probably people who can get by without DAS and I understand asking more questions and trying to weed out potential abusers or people who perhaps could get away with a different service, but I think Disney needs to re-think what qualifies based on some of the above.

imho they seem to have gone from being too lenient to being obtusely strict. It is like the scales have been tipped way too far the other way.

But Paying Guests are the ONLY Reason LL exists.

As another poster said the old Fast Pass System was working. Disney (the company, not the caring employees) saw a money making opportunity.

After the initial wave of hurt and anger pass, and people disabilities/challenges are able to give Disney real feedback on other accommodations I am sure Disney will listen and implement some of those suggestions. That benefits everyone and everyone can have a more comfortable time in the lines.

While YES those who pay for LL’s get the service they paid for.

I admit I don’t know all the facts and made a sweeping generalization. I was under the assumption that one would need a medical note. Or are you saying that universal does require medical proof from a doctor but people have submitted handicap placards and were approved? Why do you think it would implode at Disney?
Universal requires you to go through a 3rd party to “verify” your disability. It came out as some of us struggled through the process the 3rd party actually takes a variety of “proof” to give you permission to talk to Uni. Do you know how many kids have IEPs? How many people who have no issues with a line with the aid of a mobility device have handicap placards? The answer is lots. Yes they have to check the right boxes on the app and the interview with UO, if conducted, is not reported to be terribly hard if your card is good to go. At the end of the day Universal is rather running proof theater here, how long it works for them we don’t know. Lucky for them they simply don’t have the demand Disney has disability wise. Uni has also potentially taken on a huge liability, if the 3rd party is breached we’ll all be looking to sue the daylights out of them and Universal.

I believe Disney looked at systems of medical proof available in the US and decided they’re easy enough to cheat that Disney would end up conducting these stepped up interviews anyway, so what’s the point of taking on the cost and liability of medical proof? Liability is not an off handed concern, Disney mentions repeatedly they do not keep records of our DAS conversations.

Every system will have its cheaters and pitfalls. I just felt it was important to point out Universal’s system looks good on the surface, but when you know some of the details of how it’s actually working you can see it could crack under the pressure Disney demand would put on it.

And that is exactly how DAS works for VQ attractions -- you obtain the VQ at 7am (or 1pm), when your boarding is called, it gets converted to a LL to use when you are ready.

Wait, what? I thought for Tron you HAD to be in your return window. I got a VQ for Tron (mostly as a dry run) for DS28 but the boarding group was 19 with an estimated return time of 9:30 am. Since there was ZERO possibly that we would be in the parks before 2-3 pm, I cancelled it. Since we wouldn’t be in the parks at 1 pm for the next drop, I just didn’t think it was an option for us to ride. Are you telling me I could have the VQ converted to a DAS even after the window expired for Tron?

Except your extension of that analogy is disengenous. There is enough of the accomodation to go around. It's worked for years, and only once Disney started getting greedy, has it become such a big problem.

Consider instead this: There is enough of this prescription drug for 10000 people, but the company wants to market 99% of it as a weight loss drug, which they can charge twice as much for, so they make deals with the insurance company to force the 1000 legitimate people to try their less effective (and in some cases potentially harmful) alternatives to preserve profits.
Except there’s arguably not enough to go around if it’s resulting in the return lane (LL or other if it’s a non-LL ride) being too long for some disabled guests to access the ride through.

Some people can handle that 20+ minute LL because it’s not the 60+ minute regular queue but others CAN’T even handle the 20+ minute LL. For me and I’d assume others, 20+ minute lightning lanes mean I’m no longer accommodated well enough to be able to access the ride. Disney is trying to resolve that issue by limiting the number of DAS passes they give out (and the number of guests on a DAS pass).

If the other accommodations they offer you truly won’t work for you, you’ll have the opportunity to explain that during your call.

But let’s be honest, there are plenty of people who simply find it easier to avoid the queues altogether but can handle the queues in most situations (unless something occurs medically in one of the lines). A return to queue option would work for those people.

Hearing some of the stories of people getting denied today is really sad though - a person who has epilepsy and was told if they feel a seizure coming on to just let it happen and then exit the line and head for first aid and they could return to the queue? One woman said she goes with her 5 year old grandchild and was told to leave the line and her 5 year old grandchild could hold her place in line. She repeated to the CM multiple times that it was a 5 year old, and the CM did not waver and repeated the 5 year old could wait in line by themselves.
Saying a 5yo can wait in line by themselves is idiotic. I hope that person writes Disney and they actually read her gripe.

But Paying Guests are the ONLY Reason LL exists.

As another poster said the old Fast Pass System was working. Disney (the company, not the caring employees) saw a money making opportunity.

After the initial wave of hurt and anger pass, and people disabilities/challenges are able to give Disney real feedback on other accommodations I am sure Disney will listen and implement some of those suggestions. That benefits everyone and everyone can have a more comfortable time in the lines.

While YES those who pay for LL’s get the service they paid for.

You were still getting what you paid for, even with DAS guests.

Also, there is no guarantee Disney will take feedback. We can hope, but when it comes to money and wanting people to pay even when it comes at the cost of guests they haven't listened in the past. I do hope they will listen to feedback given, but it is a low hope.

Saying a 5yo can wait in line by themselves is idiotic. I hope that person writes Disney and they actually read her gripe.

I'm sure if she talks to an actual cast member at the entrance of the ride about how they will accommodate her if she needs the return-to-queue accommodation, they will let her know how it works. I'm guessing it will work differently for people who travel alone or as single parents, but that information isn't included online just yet. So far online, it only really describes the process if you're traveling with others.

What percentage of DAS users were cheaters? Those cheaters will find a way. It's a matter of time and probably not a long time. Bet they're already sharing how to beat the new rules.
And these are the people tasked with deciding who gets DAS? Holy cow, you can tell this person doesn't have children or has never been around them.

What percentage of DAS users were cheaters? Those cheaters will find a way. It's a matter of time and probably not a long time. Bet they're already sharing how to beat the new rules.

And these are the people tasked with deciding who gets DAS? Holy cow, you can tell this person doesn't have children or has never been around them.
It’s not just abuse, it’s overuse.

And I question the veracity of anyone claiming that a CM told them to let a 5yo wait alone.

I admit I don’t know all the facts and made a sweeping generalization. I was under the assumption that one would need a medical note. Or are you saying that universal does require medical proof from a doctor but people have submitted handicap placards and were approved? Why do you think it would implode at Disney?
IBCCES is the third party marketing company used by Universal.
They will and have accepted multiple things, including:
- an IEP page that lists the diagnosis
- a copy of handicapped parking permit
- a copy of National Park Access Pass
- doctor letter, but it doesn't have to say anything other than, "My patient, John Doe, is disabled". People have reported getting approved with only that.
They require the letter has the doctor's name and medical license number (that is information available online). They also wanted address, phone number and email (as a Health Care Worker, I will mention that email is not HIPAA compliant, so nothing about the patient can be shared by email).

People have also reported getting accepted by IBCCES with:
- an authorization that allows them to keep food with them at work
- an authorization that allowed them to have extra time for tests in college

Accommodations requested are checked off by the person applying, not listed by the document that shows disability.
Many people reported they got a temporary approval in a few hours and were permanently approved a few hours after. That leads me to believe they probably spot check some, but don't verify many

And I question the veracity of anyone claiming that a CM told them to let a 5yo wait alone.

I read that person's comments. She reiterated she told the CM several times the she was going to be alone with a five year-old child and the CM still insisted the kid would have to wait by themself in the line for Grandma to come back (which is totally against Disney's own policy.)

I mean she could be lying but she seemed sincerely shocked in her posts.

I also have so many questions about this … like what is the condition that requires an emergency ride queue exit and how are they otherwise able to travel alone with a 5yo grandchild? I love my mom but I’d never let her take my (older elementary aged!) kids to a Disney park alone because it would be traumatic for them if she had a urgent bathroom need or other medical emergency and it would also be unsafe for them to be alone unsupervised while she was in the bathroom or incapacitated.

Since emotions are running high, I want to be VERY clear that I am not suggesting DAS holders shouldn’t take kids to parks (I am a current DAS user), only that this situation in very suspicious. Also, cast members won’t even let your kids on a ride under age 7 without a much older teen or adult to supervise so I SERIOUSLY doubt Disney is going to tell people their 5yo needs to wait alone.

Can someone explain to me the return to queue line? I understand it will be helpful for many health issues. I wonder where you reenter? Can't we just bring our medical records or records of a qualifying disability.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter